Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What size is the screen, how much depth do you have behind it and how does it communicate with the rest of the car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fascinating stuff, thank you. Have you thought of experimenting with led strip to replace the backlight? You could attach it in the same pattern/shape as the florescent tube and as you say run a simple PWM controller off the original dimming circuit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks for this, I looked into getting one of my volvos kitted out but ended up getting rid. Is it possible to run a car on lpg only, ie build a kitcar with no petrol allowance at all? (Yes I'm a moron)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You're in Staffordshire? I thought you were up north for some reason.

You can also now get refillable gas bottles designed for caravans etc that are legal and certified so you could technically use one as an lpg Jerry can. I'm actually wondering about running a lawnmower on lpg only using that system.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Redacted

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 11, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

So are you going to fit that to one of your other soarers or keep it for spares?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

What I'm taking away from all this is that if you want to become obsessive about a car, try to choose one that was common as muck and cheap as chips :haw:

Also that Toyota can take on Citroen at their own game if they want to.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yes, we were derailing discussing them in Spyders thread :haw:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Holy poo poo yes, I'm astonished it fits with the bonnet down though, unless he took it out for that picture :v: I reckon you could get it for £650 max, you just have to balance the benefit of someone having started it against not having the donor if somethings missing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Post a pic of your garage when you can, New AI rule :colbert:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

With rare exception discs are cast and not that tough really.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Go full retarded British patriot and put a lovely rover V8 in. :colbert:

When you're done do me one with a VW TDI please, I've so many people to troll.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

[quote="ShittyPostmakerPro"
I decided to do all the house projects at the same time, so that when it's done, it's done.
[/quote]

Lol.

Hurry up so you can build me a diesel RX8 (DX8?) And upset people who care.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm loving every post.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You're a clever bugger I'll give you that..

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Nice username :p. And I'm glad I'm not the only one browsing SA 15 minutes into the new year

Between fireworks and people calling/texting to say happy new year there's no point trying to go to sleep straight away. I think I'll order an arduino starter kit to play with as well, the possibilities are literally limited by imagination at this point.

And did you say the rx8 engine is in working condition?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I also opened the Jaguar PCM to find out what sort of power transistors it uses for the ignition outputs - so I can either desolder and use them, or find similar models. The transistors are Motorola 5501DM models, and nowhere online can I even find out what kind of transistors they are (likely to be either IGBTs or darlington bipolars). I'll likely end up using either the BU941 or BU323Z darlingtons (in pairs driven by a TIP125 or BC377) for the ignition outputs, but it would be nice to know the spec of the OEM units.

Well I'm glad someone knows what the crystals in the magic box are for.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Good work on that fit, keep up the good work drinking!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's Japan only isn't it? I imagine no one other than Toyota techs can answer that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

quote:

I have many sets of these
Made me giggle. Lovely looking car.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

FDs are such pretty cars, give it triangles and make it scream Pomp. How fast will it rev?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's probably a better idea, as you say whatever you buy has unknowns, why not build it yourself and get rid of those unknowns whilst learning? I vote 20B.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh hey something I have relevant technical knowledge of:

Stripping chrome chemically is easy and(mechanically) harmless, rechroming to a specific depth consistently requires someone to build an electrode to match the required shape. Depending on the exact thickness and consistency required for a housing it could be simple for a good company. One-off cost could be a couple of hundred.
Nitride coating can be baked out easily, PPD nitride recoating is the poo poo these days, for something like a rotor warping and distortion would be a non-issue also. Basically cost is the only barrier and if you had a pallet full it wouldn't be eye-watering, especially if they're a finite resource.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'll check my contacts when I'm back at work but that looks small enough to be a simple job, the most important thing will be your requested finished diameter and tolerance.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Should be real simple then.the cylindrical grinding will be the expensive half. If the chrome isn't too bad they might just recoat without stripping it too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

This is a fantastic idea and I'm hoping it pans out. From reading a bunch of EV blogs I understand you can lego the leaf batteries together and apart to make 1 or many batteries of whatever capacity?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I understand hybrid mg/starters also "start" at a higher speed and due to being excessively powerful for a starter they feel much smoother doing so.

An interesting note, the 2006 GS450h was launched in the US with modified firmware, which only allowed MG1 to set six internal gear ratios, forcing the engine to produce the sawtooth patttern. I'm guessing this insanity was later scrapped in favour of the eCVT we know and love today.

CAT INTERCEPTOR just got a Subaru Levorg which has an "8 speed" cvt, he gave it a bit of a write up in his thread.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Might be a resolver rather than an encoder, instant absolute position down to the accuracy of your ADC.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

None of the one day insurers will cover imported cars. I'm struggling to get a hire car sorted in time.

I needed the Lexus to provide the Can and other data to drive the inverter for my Rx7. I can't do that now, so I'm not sure how to continue that project!

Ughhhhhhhh

Long term sounds like another Lexus as DailyDriver and DataDonor is a reasonable idea, you can always sell out after you're done. Best of luck for hire car, how would your work react to an early call regarding "can't get a hire car, need to insure another car before I can come in late today"?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Depends, were they made of solid tungsten?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah I'd be loving terrified if I lived in a similar block, it's shameful.

• Locked thread