Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Ola posted:

I think I'd prefer an auto in a car like that, unless it's a horrid slushbox. The ad says "Bilstein dampers", does that mean it isn't optioned with the magic suspension?

The only cars that got the magic suspension were the ~800 UZZ32s, all of which have the V8 - that one has the 1JZ-GTE, which means it either has coils or airbags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
But I've seen airbag 1JZ ones for sale down here D: (seems more likely that the sellers are idiots, though)

Mine was the lovely JZZ31 N/A base model with HAHA NO FEATURES FOR YOU though, and completely hosed shocks.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

By the way, tomorrow is a big day for my UZZ32 ranch.

:o more car?

Personally I wasn't a big fan of the transmission. But it suited what the car was (big floaty cruiser).

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
So I got to thinking that I ought to pick up a UZZ32 before they all go to the scrapyard and decided to have a quick look around locally...

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Soarer-1996/SSE-AD-3636709/?Cr=5

quote:

This is the last UZZ32 ever built; number 872 of 872 (research in Japan suggests that 872 were built, rather than 873). Needless to say, this is a highly collectible car, perhaps the most collectible Soarer of all, and it's in beautiful condition. Even today, its handling capability is incredible.

Holy hot dicks. I am never, ever paying that much money for it but JEEEEEEZUS.

Hey SPP, how can I tell a proper UZZ32 from another UZZ with EMV (apart from VIN)? A whole bunch of people seem to be putting the non-hydraulic ones up as UZZ32s even when they aren't

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
It will likely be around Sept-Oct before I seriously look into this (if I do) thanks to some bass-ackwards driving rules here that mean I can't drive anything with a 1UZ in it until i'm off my probationary license (FIVE YEARS LATER) on August 18th.

Maybe for a birthday present to myself in October...

Awesome that that's the last car, though. What a piece of history.

Thanks very much for the link, lots of useful stuff here :sun:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

88h88 posted:

So it's not actually broken?! Score!

Well, it is an RX-8 with an unknown history. It's probably only a matter of time? :v:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
RWD BEAMS 3SGEs are really cheap down here in :australia: - nobody really wants the RWD ones, i'd probably go down that road myself.

(who am I kidding if I bought an RX-8 it'd get a tri-rotor peripheral port turbo and i'd get myself killed)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
what's the compression ratio like? could you slap on a couple of 2nd hand subaru turbos? :getin:

E: my posts in this thread really give credence to my title

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
A turbo BP can make low 200s fairly easily, so that's probably not the worst idea.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I was about to drop in and point out that there are purpose-built ignition coil IGBTs :v: (those motorola units inside the stock ECU are likely a custom-part-number-for-the-ECU-OEM ignition IGBT that'll be pretty much identical on the inside)

Might be worth doublechecking that the coils will work when run in wasted spark as your effective RPM (from the coil's perspective) is doubled; you wouldn't want to run out of coil power / dwell time

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
If it's hall-effect based and worth half a drat you should just get a convenient 0v-5v swing out of it (or similar) through its range, like a hall effect ebike throttle, which the analog input on ye olde 'duino should handle just fine :sun:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Welp, found this to be true first-hand today. Not going to go into details but it involved my Lexus hitting a near stationary car at 70mph and then still being perfectly drivable. Still totalled though :(

SAY IT AIN'T SO :smith:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 9, 2017

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Triple posting up in this bitch.

Got everything up and running tonight. Looks like I need to study up on PID closed-loop motor control programming :sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnZzm4L71dI

Big Chuck's Robot Warehouse and Auto Shop might have some help for you here. His entire design series on the RageBridge motor controllers has a lot of good information and useful code.

You could also look at control loops used for multirotors, perhaps?

You probably don't actually need the D part of PID, just proportional/integral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Thanks guys, yes, my plan is to incorporate proportional control, and move to PI if needed (probably will be). The difference between my setup and most others is that my motor only runs in one direction, with a spring to act in the other direction, so 'lack of power' is the driving force to close the butterfly valve. I may still go with a two-directional PI controller, set to half of my max value (e.g. from -127 to 127), then add 128 to it.

The link you posted doesn't work, is it this one? http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?cat=85

H-uh, looks like charles has broken SSL on his site. If you clip the S out of the https you should be good. OTOH that is the right category for the ragebridge stuff, yeah.

• Locked thread