Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

I've only really played a few hours of EO4, and it's really fun. How are the other games in the series, and especially the 3DS remakes of the older ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

3 is good, the remaes are for babies nad let you port back to town from every staircase eliminating most of the actual danger

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
What the gently caress? The child has a boner?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

3 and 4 are the best ones gameplay-wise, persona q is good also.

the remakes are eh since they change the music to orchestrated tracks, make things easier, and add a bunch of characters and story-driven poo poo that was never necessary. but there's also some quality of life improvements that are actually good so its up to you which version of 1 and 2 you want to play. i'd still recommend the originals since yuzo koshiro is most godly when composing for genesis-style synth chips

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm mitigating the danger in 4 with those warp strings anyway though. Is that the only babyification in the remakes?

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'm mitigating the danger in 4 with those warp strings anyway though. Is that the only babyification in the remakes?

theres more but i havent played one in a while

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Average Bear posted:

What the gently caress? The child has a boner?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

its a mix of good control/navigation improvements that were added in 3 and 4 with little pieces of babyfication like the stairs thing. i'd say go with the remakes if you think you want a lot more plot and premade NPCs, since that's the biggest difference along with the music

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

lesbian baphomet posted:

its a mix of good control/navigation improvements that were added in 3 and 4 with little pieces of babyfication like the stairs thing. i'd say go with the remakes if you think you want a lot more plot and premade NPCs, since that's the biggest difference along with the music

you can also just play classic mode or whatever its called which gets rid of a lot of the plot

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8be8pL0lhw

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

SM64Guy posted:

you can also just play classic mode or whatever its called which gets rid of a lot of the plot

i forgot that exists but yeah this is also an option.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The story mode in EU1 is very bad.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Crimson Harvest posted:

I've only really played a few hours of EO4, and it's really fun. How are the other games in the series, and especially the 3DS remakes of the older ones?

:yikes:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i liked the game but my run petered out after a dozen levels or so. i'll go back someday. many FOE's to conquer

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is that the only babyification in the remakes?

:magical:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Don't act all surprised, yall know by now there's a huge disconnect between character concept and character art in japanese media.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i liked eo4 better than eou, but i haven't played eou2 yet. super hyped for eo5.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Crimson Harvest posted:

Don't act all surprised, yall know by now there's a huge disconnect between character concept and character art in japanese media.

There's a huge disconnect between Japanese character artists and law enforcement.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Japanese character artists: She's a thousand year old Oni (demon) who inhabited the body of a twelve year old. Therefore regardless of her appearance, being sexually attracted to her is NOT pedophilia. There's a disconnect between character design and character art here in Japanese media.

"Sir-san, this isu a McuDonards drive-through"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Average Bear posted:

Japanese character artists: She's a thousand year old Oni (demon) who inhabited the body of a twelve year old. Therefore regardless of her appearance, being sexually attracted to her is NOT pedophilia. There's a disconnect between character design and character art here in Japanese media.

ok

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Average Bear posted:

hmm... nah.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Little girls shouldn't have boners, is my point anyway. Who writes this trash??

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Average Bear posted:

Little girls shouldn't have boners, is my point anyway. Who writes this trash??

He certainly writes better than you.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

SM64Guy posted:

theres more but i havent played one in a while

i'm plaiying 2u now and that's the only thing that sticks out. ir eally do not like grimoires though, that whole system is garbage and i want to go back to subclassing

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SM64Guy posted:

3 is good, the remaes are for babies nad let you port back to town from every staircase eliminating most of the actual danger

4 has shortcuts everywhere and pole stones to get back to staircases and silver whistles to get back to the entrance to an area and ariadne threads

theres one place in eou2 where ariadne threads don't work in a dungeon, eventually i will afford the thread and see its horrors

bushi is insane in eo4 and my first one managed to not only heavily damage several enemies, doing possibly a fourth of some dungeon trash's hp, but also explode themself in a single blood curse proc

the biggest thing that makes eou1 easier is that the highlander is really good and gunner is completely bonkers at sealing limbs, even compared to dark hunters

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Just beat the first real boss, the King Berserker. Went to the next zone and mapped what I could of the outdoor overworld area, time to get my ship upgraded so I can fly higher.

This is about where I quit the first time I played the game.

Anyway is it pretty typical to either get smashed into paste by the boss or dominate it utterly? I finished that boss fight with everyone at full health, mostly empty of TP, and the boss having been so thoroughly debuffed that he could barely do anything. The first attempt had him one-shot the whole group with his charge move.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I got loving dunked by Berserker King a few times and then set up a Nightseeker to gently caress his arms up and took almost no damage.

One of the bosses has this whole pain in the rear end thing to depower it and I think if I'd prepared as hard as I did for it I could have done it without depowering it

AFter losing to it once, I set my full party up with fire charms, used Fire Rune as the battle started, used a Fire Mist, and dropped at least six different status effects on it over 3 rounds

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sir-san, this isu

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm a bad poster, sleep deprived

The art style might not be my thing but is it a good game? What is is most comparable to on 3DS

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Average Bear posted:

I'm a bad poster, sleep deprived

The art style might not be my thing but is it a good game? What is is most comparable to on 3DS

etrian odyssey 4

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

In a broader sense, it's comparable to Elminage games on PSP, Wizardry on everything, or SMT games, but closer to SMT in the general tacticalness and difficulty of combat rather than the spammy nature of Wizardry fighting.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
you build a party from a bunch of classes with different portraits and stuff and go through a big dungeon and map it out on the bottom screen. there are semi-random encounters and also big miniboss-esque enemies that show up on the map and will usually kick your teeth in unless you know what you're doing, so part of exploring is figuring out their movement patterns and how to avoid them. combat is super reliant on debuffs and status effects, like other people have said.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Gamers are afraid of female sexuality

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Inflammatory posted:

you build a party from a bunch of classes with different portraits and stuff and go through a big dungeon and map it out on the bottom screen. there are semi-random encounters and also big miniboss-esque enemies that show up on the map and will usually kick your teeth in unless you know what you're doing, so part of exploring is figuring out their movement patterns and how to avoid them. combat is super reliant on debuffs and status effects, like other people have said.

Crimson Harvest posted:

In a broader sense, it's comparable to Elminage games on PSP, Wizardry on everything, or SMT games, but closer to SMT in the general tacticalness and difficulty of combat rather than the spammy nature of Wizardry fighting.

This sounds kind of interesting, I'll check it out if it goes on sale.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Sexual child made it through localization!! Thank you based Xseed

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Elminage Original is really cool because every enemy weapon/special defense is an item they have on

I actually ripped the final boss' arms off mid fight and was disappointed in their stats afterwards

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Average Bear posted:

ill have a tuna burger

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
eo games are fun.

i wish that there were more games like eo. i just bought eo2u but haven't started it yet.

• Locked thread