Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
The new thread piqued my interest, so I loaded up LOTRO for the first time in a year. Immediate thoughts.

1) I left myself on a goddamn cliff surrounded by succubi somewhere in Moria. I have no idea what the Christ I'm doing anymore.
2) No one else in the kinship is on-line. Aww.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Tell me more about bears. I unlocked them because I have more points accumulated than sense, but I'm not sure I should actually give up my level 51 Manburgler to start one. Are they fun? Any neat utility?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Is Minstrel still OP as hell? Would be a Hobbit, of course.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

So, I've started my Minstrel and I'm noticing something that may be a game-changing problem.

Are my hands going to glow with swirling magic power all the time I'm in solo mode, or is there a toggle I can use to switch off the effect?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Oxphocker posted:

Well I just changed it last night after I got back from vacation...so if you haven't checked since 10pm last night.. I'd log in and confirm but the login isn't working right now...so I'm going to try later today to check.

Yeah, it's working now. Someone else put down a forge before I could put down the one I bought, but that's fine. All's well that ends well.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

alucinor posted:

You still have it? I have an oven I can place there instead.

Edit: I just figured out that with user-bound decorations, you can get rid of them by clicking "return to owner" in decoration mode. I put a LOT of poo poo in the kinhouse, don't anyone hesitate to send it back to me.

I still have it, yeah. I'm cool either way (I have more points than sense right now, so it didn't hurt me to buy it).

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Has the meta on Loremasters changed any? Currently poking at my old LM who's spec'd Red, but its been over a year so I donno if that's still the appropriate solo build choice.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

xZAOx posted:

I don't like change! Especially working with Daybreak Games (aka, used to be Sony Online Entertainment, used to be Verant, aka, the guys that run EverQuest)

Daybreak Games is a different entity than SOE used to be, owned by a different, slightly more vodka oriented peoples.

They've managed to run the old SOE games without issue, though, so no immediate reason to panic.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

Now, how do I choose between Rune Keeper and Minstrel...

Do you want to kill people with rock figuratively or literally?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I would like some Beoring advice. Is going yellow line still the way to go for solo builds? I've been doing that, but noticed on the LOTRO trait tree planner site that by far the most popular build is a red/blue hybrid. Don't know if there's a good reason for that, or if the class has been tweaked significantly since the last time I played with it.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Confirmed, you need to buy it through t he in-game store.

Coincidentally, as of a few weeks ago Standing Stone couldn't take Steam money, and if you were playing via a Steam link would only... try to accept Steam money. If you get caught in that situation, you can run the launcher directly from the directory LOTRO is installed in and then it'll accept Paypal/credit cards/etc.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Mr. Pickles posted:

AFAIK elves had been slowly sailing away ever since that Balrog woke up in Moria. But those who actually mattered never really left until evil was destroyed forever, as if they wouldn't purposefully deprive the world of the Three as long as Sauron and his ring lived.

My memory may be hosed, but I recall that Elves have been sailing to the West ever since they made it to the shore. My recollection of the Silmarillion is that the vast majority of the Elves barely stopped in Middle Earth on the way to the West, and those tribes of Elves that were captivated by the beauty of Middle Earth and stayed were a minority.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Wicked Them Beats posted:

lol at those fell beasts. Look like a bunch of naked seagulls lazily coming to steal your fries.

Wanna meet whoever put that together and said "yes, this is a good trailer. I am happy with this."

I can appreciate that they wanted to use in-game footage but drat LOTRO's animations are showing their age.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Do lore-masters still suffer from obscene button bloat? I know they cut down a lot of the classes but last time I played LOTRO my LM button lay-out felt like something off the space shuttle.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Prism posted:

So how many people here are going to be on the legendary server? I know I am going to try it (as a Guardian) but I'm kind of curious how many other goons are interested enough to do it. Maybe we should make a legendary kinship.

Going to give it a whirl. Sitting here right now pursuing the wiki and trying to decide between RK/LM/Minstrel. Leaning towards minstrel so I can eat second breakfast again.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Prism posted:

I was also eyeing the block/parry/evade passive on Man but that probably trails off too.

I just realized I don't think I have ever started in the Shire either. And really, isn't that the important thing? Hobbit it is!

The shire is my favorite starting zone. Just hobbits eating pie and having adventures. It's adorable in an entirely theme-appropriate way and I love that.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Yeah, uh, I thought I was going to get in easy because they timed this during the school and work day for Americans.

Whoops.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Imagine at this point server isn't fully up yet and may or may not be making GBS threads itself.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

In any other game I'd worry about a -40% nerf but my recollection is LOTRO has way more content than necessary to cap out at regular xp amounts, so we'll see how it goes.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

lol if you posted:

some folks on anor have already reached lvl 30. world chat says that beorn's are tough to start right now because their starting quest line assumes regular xp rate and they're lagging 2+ levels behind that need grinding.

i died to marsh fly bleeds at 7 and missed my chance for the undefeated title :mad:

Trying Beoring now and it really wasn't that hard. I only ended up lagging 1 level, which is no big deal for the ease of not doing the Man/Hobbit tutorial zone all over again.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Prism posted:

The quest pack area was empty too, but that may be because I'm VIP? Thanks for the sales info.

Yup. AFAIK you can't buy anything you already have access to by account status.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

Thanks for all the input! I think I’ll be going with Misty Mountains first, then Angmar and Trollshaws.

I’m dividing my time between two characters (Hobbit Guardian and Elf Warden) and I still haven’t decided on which one I should go with for my main, but in any case it’ll be good to have some options for questing instead of having to run the same content twice.

Reading quest text and exploring pretty landscapes is my favorite activity in any MMO, so I’ll probably try to do all the epic stuff at least once.

While both tanks, Guardians and Wardens play radically differently. AS though they weren't even designed for the same video game differently. You should be able to get a solid idea of which one you want to stick with as you go forward. Since you're buying stuff, and seem to be tanky-oriented, you may want to glance at Beornings (the wiki is out of date, check the recent release notes instead on the forums). Tank/DPS/Heal split with ridiculous solo survivability in their heal line. And you get to be a bear.

They also get bonus points for me for being the one race in LOTRO with the most vivid spread of skin tones, despite being pegged into a pseudo-Norse styling.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

I’m not that interested in tanking itself (mainly be cause I’ve managed to suck at it badly in any MMO I’ve tried), but I wanted to play something that could conceivably solo at least some of the group content (not necessarily entire instances, but group quests and stuff like that), because I predict it’s going to be tough to find someone to group with because A) I’m an EU player on a US server, so I’ll never be playing at peak times, and B) I’ll be doing non-endgame content in an 11-year old MMO.

The internet seemed to think that Warden (because of self-heals and a lot of utility skills) and Guardian (because of general tankiness and survivability) would be most suitable if you wanted to be able to solo as much as possible.

I’ve still got a free character slot, so if it turns out I was wrong I can try out something else. :)

Warden is right up your alley, if you consider the gambit system fun in and of itself. I never got the hang of it and I sort of sit there rueing the class because of it. It's up there with Beorning in Stupid Solo Tricks when you play it well, though.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Poking at LOTRO again and have a question. Is the Legendary servers still where the majority of the player focus is, or has attention shifted back to the normal servers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

extra stout posted:

Completed the spider raid t1 farm (first boss and all three side bosses, not a full raid) on my champion and even on my beorning who just hit 130 an hour before. The first group had four captains, so I'd say they're gonna be good for a long time. RKs out DPS hunters now but are harder to learn and a good hunter is preferable to an undergeared power leveled RK in my book still. But the insanely high DPS and the DNF (do not fall) skill will always have 3 RKs or more per raid.

Is Fire spec still used by RKs in raid situations? Reading the official forums (which, granted, is what it is) make it sound like Lightning is everything now, and Lightning spec's rotation is far and away the most basic gameplay I've seen in LOTRO or any MMO since EQ1.