Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I mostly liked west Rohan when it came out because there was some bug that cut my captain’s mounted skill cooldowns to zero for everything except their massive aoe, which had a 5-6 second cool down. As a result, my captain did probably 5-10x mOre DPS than intended and I just absolutely shredded everything that wasn’t a war and of mounted archers.

I only did the 12 person epic battle once and holy sweet gently caress that was such a mess. I think we failed near the end too because even with a bunch of people using maxed out traits for their specific jobs there was just so, so much poo poo going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

HPanda posted:

There are a few kind of funny bugs in this release. Most notably, they gave someone the rock landscaping tool and told them to just go nuts, it seems. There's now a dang mountain on (as in literally on top of) the road from Bree to Trestlebridge. Like, a really, really big boulder, that is now blocking the road and stable mounts can no longer follow that path through.

And now at least on Landroval, people are throwing parties on top of it.

Would you say it's a small boulder the size of a large boulder?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The skirmish stuff for the Moria epic quests came later after SoM was introduced (and with it the skirmish system). I forget what they were before being skirmishes though. Just a similar instance but more bare-bones?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dackel posted:

My friend and 2 others are going to give this one another try, for the 3 of them it will be for the first time. Any important must-have mods/extra stuff you would recommend to make it as smooth and UI friendly as possible?

Maybe buy a month of premium just to unlock stuff like riding and the extra inventory bags, and buy the premium wallet if they're having fun since it's extremely convenient.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Riding is free now and gets given from one of the tutorial quests that introduces you to the LOTRO Store as of Patch 34.

Lum_ posted:

Everyone gets the premium wallet now as of last year (U32).

Hm, well then in that case maybe just a month or premium so they can make characters with fast travel unlocked is about it I guess.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hell yeah DPS captains (in solo 3-man content). :black101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

My understanding is that Mordor is a quality leap over Gondor like Gondor was over Rohan. Everything you says valid though.

And the new lower level content is pretty fun too

Moria really was LotRO at its best, with Mirkwood being almost as good and only 5 levels higher so Moria content was still extremely relevant and DN gear was BiS for some classes, iirc.

Isengard's story quality was a big drop and then Rohan was just monotonous in addition to mounted combat being what it is. Helm's Deep had an interesting idea with those big battles but even in groups they felt bad and doing the 6-12 man fights without having your skill trees optimized for it was extremely bad times for everyone. I think I did one 12 man run once with 11 others setup for specific roles and it was absolute chaos and IIRC we lost at the end because something we needed to protect just died in seconds when a boss and some other stuff spawned and attacked it. Helm's Deep has the saving grace of the bug that made my Captain's mounted combat CDs super short so I could use the giant AOE nuke every couple of seconds and I just destroyed warbands (that didn't have mounted ranged units) because of it. Even a couple of raid-tier warbands died in minutes because I had about 10x the DPS, with a massive AOE, than you'd normally have even with single target stuff.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Don't forget bears and boars!

Get to a new region, immediately run into people who desperately need 10 bear skins, 10 wolf heads, and 10 boar asses. And also body parts from a type of crow different (in name) to the ones in the previous region.

This is where Moria was able to be its strongest, and Mirkwood to a lesser extent. The entirety of the Foundation of Stone and its enemies were basically Turbine saying "hey Gandalf mentioned a bunch of ancient, nameless things in the depths when he fell with the Balrog so we can do what we want."

They can't really do that with most of the rest of the game that follows the Fellowship since it was pretty much orcs, trolls, and evil men with the occasional other thing like evil spirits or wargs. Someone making a Middle Earth MMO that can just use the setting and not be tied to specific stories could be good but it'd also have a higher chance of being some fanfic disaster (like the additions to pad out the Hobbit movies).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I have lots of memories running Moria dungeons and how having a good burglar player in the group, and the group paying attention, meant fellowship attacks left and right. Are they still useful in that regard? I haven't run group content for so long I don't even know if fellowship moves still exist.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

parara posted:

Any sage advice on zones to avoid like the plague while leveling/doing the epic story? I see there's some options with overlapping level ranges so I'd love to know which zones are best skipped bc they're boring, ugly, questing is super awkward, etc etc.

Do the Moria intro in Eregion when you hit level 45. You'll get some introduction legendary items that blow away anything you'd use at that point and it lets you start getting your LI going so that whenever you start Moria around 50 (I think you need at least level 48 to start the Epic quests inside) you'll have a little bit of a head start. Plus Moria is just better than any other content before that point (and honestly, after it too in most cases).

You can go back to other zones once you finish the Moria intro, but it's definitely worth stopping whatever you're doing and running that intro quest line. Enemies will be orange/red but if you take them 1-2 at a time you'll be fine and the power boost from the LIs will let you cut through chaff in Angmar or whatever other pre-Moria zone you're running if you decide to do all of the story content before moving on.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

Evendim: Enjoy spending the next ten levels killing nothing but bandits

Be glad the boats exist now because long ago it was "enjoy spending the next half dozen or so levels killing bandits and swimming back and forth when your fast travel's on CD."

Demon Of The Fall posted:

just avoid the Waterworks entirely and you'll be good

Ignore this poster and embrace the :pcgaming: frogs.

(no but really, that area sucked and you can get away with only doing any epic quests that send you there)

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 12, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Can you take a canonical shortcut to the foundation of stone as well? I can't remember.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

The gandalf route?

Don't think so, but you can jump down the well that Pippin and Merry got yelled at for loving around with.

Yeah that one. I can never remember if I took the jump there (I've definitely taken the waterworks express) but if it doesn't give you a shortcut that's a missed opportunity.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Drone posted:

I actually quite like Evendim :shobon: Pretty mountainy lake, neat ruins, a chill Ent. And that hedged-in hobbit village just west-ish of Oatbarton wins #1 for "spots in Middle Earth I'd love to live in" even though the quests there are kinda tedious.

I like it as well but without fast travel it took forever to finish that zone.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Gotta go old school and find some dudes the old fashioned way.

It was nice how the free stuff during the last anniversary included the level 105(?) and 120 items. I ended up making a couple alt accounts to mess around with high level classes on and now if I ever level an alt I can use a level 120 beorning to bulldoze any content like that, and a 120 hunter to move them around.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

LegionAreI posted:

Good poo poo. Don't read the comments though, man. I didn't think this old game still got that level of "discourse."

Two things in life are certain: Death and Reading Comments Online Is Always A Mistake.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

After last year's mountain of freebies this year's anniversary gift feels so small.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Diabetic posted:

To me, I know the focus is the War of the Ring, but I'd REALLY be ok with anything taking place before or after LOTR opening it up more because we already know what they'd have to stick to for the progression. Why not explore the 2nd Age? Earlier in the 3rd Age? 4th Age? Or is it the contract wording keeps them stuck to LOTR and they can't deviate off that to an earlier / later part of the timeline?

Considering how much of a compressed, jumbled mess the first season of RoP was I'm not sure I trust Amazon to make a 2nd age game that isn't even more of a mess than they normally create.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

That might be the worst MMO population data I've ever seen.

EVE Online might have 9.67 million players across its lifetime if you're including banned RMT accounts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

In a surprise twist, LOTRO naval combat takes place in EVE Online.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cutedge posted:

You know I used to think the solution to mounted combat was to just increase the turn speed of all mounted combat mounts by 25% but now I think that they could just make it so if you do a turn you lose speed, with the speed loss dependent on the actual speed you are going (i.e. high speed loses more speed).

You would still have the issue that horses drift like rally cars. You should be able to turn more sharpy at a cost of speed but the entire mounted combat system has always been a mess and I can't begin to imagine the sort of issues the devs ran into when creating it because they were trying to make something new in a game whose development started in 1998.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cutedge posted:

Yeah once you hit level 50 I would just go to Moria because it's such a jump in the quality of experience over the earlier zones and quests.

Update 37 is supposed to come out tomorrow but there's no downtime notice and no patch notes posted yet so I assume that it's coming in hot. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets bumped to the 23rd or 24th.

My eternal recommendation for all players is to go to Moria at 45 to do the intro quest because the LIs you get from it will blow away any weapon and class item you will see before 50. Sure the mobs will be purple/red but you can still clear them out 1-2 at a time if you're careful and have decent gear. Some level 40-45 (crit) crafted gear will be more than enough. Once you finish the Moria intro you'll be in the 46-47 range and can just do quests in Eregion, which is much better laid out than other pre-Moria quest hubs, and once you hit 48 you can start the quests inside Moria itself. If someone really wants to finish the Angmar stuff then fine, go right ahead, but even then there is no reason not to do the Moria intro for the legendary items and the huge power boost it gives.

I did many, but not all, the quests (and the full epic) on my Captain starting at 48 and was level 61-62 when I finished Moria. I think I was 63 when I started Mirkwood since I did very few non-epic quests in Lothlorien. I think I ran Grand Stairs(?) once for its pile of quests and don't recall running other instances (except the turtle) on the captain either. Moria has a lot of XP and stuff to do. I also had so many rep tokens from drops that I was able to instantly max rep on my champion before they set foot inside Moria (I immediately got them the good rep mount once they could go inside).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

Yes. Yes it was. Evendim, in particular, was famous for it's long afk swims. Even the shire was harder to get around. Having the muster at nobottle has been great.

I have fond memories of making my character swim across Evendim and getting up to go grab a drink, make food, etc, only to come back and not be done swimming across the drat lake yet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Much like (mega)elixirs in Final Fantasy, I hoard them forever and never use them as they fill my inventory and storage to the brim because I might need them later! :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

Does either guardian spec fill the "sturdy dynamo that doesn't die and can keep going forever with small self heals" archetype, kinda like cleric/paladin soloing? E.g. prot paladin from WoW if you are familiar with that.

The world chat was surprisingly unhelpful, saying i need to play a minstrel if i want to heal (which is not what i asked for)

I think every melee class can do this, except maybe burglar. Guardian's probably the least effective out of them, wardens, champions, captains, and beornings though. With bears arguably having the most powerful solo setup out of all of them. Wardens can do a lot of stuff with their gambit system though, but are also the hardest class to play out of all of these.

Captains and Beornings also have skill trees that give really powerful group healing options too (or did, I haven't run group content in ages).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Quill posted:

My guess is the suits idea of a remaster was way more ambitious and thus way more expensive, than what the aging playerbase had in mind.

Oh well. Maybe some day we'll get a lag fix though.

LOTRO's over 20 years old. There is a lot of technical debt they'd have to address in any sort of overhaul. 30 million sounds positively cheap compared to making a new MMO though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

The 15th anniversary was last year, so not quite that old. The technical debt part absolutely tracks, though.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not the actual players who are calling for HD remakes. Sounds more like an investor thing.

At this point I'd settle for just updated creature models, some of the early game stuff looks really janky up close (like all the humans having a low-res face texture plastered onto an almost square head model).

The game launched 16 years ago but the development started in 98 or 99. Some of the systems we're using in Lotro are over 20 years old at this point as are some of the models and textures. :shrug:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lars posted:

You are the hero we've been waiting for! Now go kill 5 orcs, come back and we'll tell you to go kill 5 more.

And after that we'll have you go collect some bear asses from an area right next to where those orcs were.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If you happened to have logged in during the 15th anniversary and got all the free items and expansions, a Beorning's probably the best class to start as just because they can be so drat durable with good damage.

Though if Mariner has travel skills like Hunter and Warden that alone would make it appealing and convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I didn't realize that part of the store was even available at level 3. I thought it was severely limited during the tutorial levels and only had account stuff like the races/classes/expansions, premium wallet, etc due to how limited you are until you finish your race's intro.