Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

fibblins posted:

When will Turbine give players the option of choosing more than one face? I swear the NPCs have more facial diversity than players themselves.

Turbine is running this game with a skeleton crew on a shoestring budget. The only thing they're working on is getting the ring into Mordor ASAP, and the game will likely go into full official maintenance mode shortly after that. Don't hold your breath for anything that's not super relevant to wrapping up the story itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
If you're level 45, you need to immediately buy the Moria expansion and get started on it's intro quest, which awards your first Legendary weapon. We all start that the second we hit 45. Plus, Moria is almost universally agreed to be this game's strongest content, so you do want to check it out.

E: And it gives you Warden and Rune Keeper classes too!

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 24, 2016

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

ruffz posted:

I just saw that in update 18.2 they're adding a Stable-Masters tab to the Collection panel, so you can see which (if any) you haven't unlocked. However it appears that you can't use this to travel anywhere unless you want to use Mithril Coins.

I think the default download option is the high res client now. I reinstalled over the weekend after upgrading my computer, and the client I downloaded is definitely high res. In the past, the default client was the standard res one.

I don't know about that. They've said in recent developer updates that they have post-Mordor plans, and that the story won't end with the destruction of the Ring.

I hope that you're right and that I'm wrong.

Litany Unheard posted:

I hope they can carry through to the Scouring of the Shire. I was disappointed when that didn't make it into the films.

Yeah, they'll probably do the Scouring of the Shire, but beyond that? I'm not getting my hopes up. Again, I hope that I'm wrong.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
VIP doesn't give you any expansions, and the bow you're questing for isn't a legendary. It's the best bow you'd get(outside of a raid at least) in SoA before Legendaries existed.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Frelorn(that's the Community Manager) is among the layoffs.
Vyvyanne(the Executive Producer) has not been heard from since April, which is a huge departure from her usual routine of posting weekly on the forums.
It's not clear if Made Of Lions(the main lore/story guy) is still around or not. If he's gone, we're *majorly* hosed.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Jaia just invited my guardian Vhalgar into the kin when we ran Dark Delvings together. Been meaning to get around to joining for a while now. I'll be on a good deal getting this guy through literally every quest & deed in Moria.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

So I'm level 30 and have about enough turbine points to buy a quest pack. Any recommendations? North Downs says levels 24-30 so I should probably skip it?

Evendim is your best bet. It covers roughly 30-40, and it's a really good zone.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Keep traveling north past the Hobbit area and you'll eventually get to a really big statue. You'll know it when you see it. That's when the real Evendim experience begins. I'll never forget the first time I ever rounded the hill and saw that thing for the first time. I still have the screenshots.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Siddhartha Glutamate posted:

Quest packs are on sale right now, I had almost 3000 TP saved up and I spent a chunk of it on quest packs. I already had Evendim, now I have North Downs, Forochel, and Angmar too! I still have about 100 tp and wondering what I should pick up... I'm not sure what Eregion has to offer, never did any of the content there. Misty Mountains was fun but it is so small (enough for five levels) and while Trollshaws is a nice alternative to Evendim it just isn't as interesting. What's the deal with Enedwaith? It looks completely unnecessary as Moria pretty well covers most of its levels.

I am pretty excited about all this new stuff, even if it is well beyond any of my characters to partake in. Still, like the above poster said, when they next do a big sale on TP I will buy some of it up and get the new content.

I will get there eventually...

Enedwaith is arguably one of the game's worst regions. It was the first time that I perceived a decline in the game's overall quality of development.

Eregion is widely regarded as one of the better pre-Moria regions. Definitely choose Eregion over Enedwaith

I personally enjoy the first half of Angmar, and especially it's absolutely stellar dungeons- Carn Dum, Urugoth and the 12-man Rift raid. The second half of Angmar's quests has a lot of issues though. If anyone here hasn't ever run Carn Dum- you need to. It puts GB, GA, etc to shame.

I just did the epic ride with the Rohirrim at Pelennor last night. I got all excited over finally running arguably my favorite moment in the entire trilogy, we started riding, and...Turbine killed my boner. They could have handled that a lot better, IMO.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Question for the thread:

I've been slowly making my way through the Far Anorian update, and finally finished the Battle of Pelenor Fields stuff. Last night I ran a few dailies for Prince Imrahil and some dude next to him in the After the Battle version of MT. I finished the daily quests, but I have absolutely zero breadcrumbs to any other quests. I could've sworn that I saw someone somewhere mention stuff dealing with the Houses of Healing, so I feel like I'm not done yet...Or am I? I haven't been completely caught up with this game's most recent content since RoR was the bleeding edge.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks! It turns out that I somehow failed one of the dailies(but nothing indicated that). Finishing the one I failed opened up the HoH session play.

I used to raid in this game, but now I just do the bare minimum for story content. Sometimes I join box runs when I want essences. They should have instituted something like box runs *years* ago. It would have done a lot to keep the playerbase satisfied.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Drunkenboxer posted:

Hey all,

If I started this game up as a newbie, would I be able to find groups to do the lower dungeons/content?

It looks like warden is the best bet for power to see things solo, but is there content I won't be able to do that requires a group?

This game has gotten really easy for simple solo leveling. Your first dungeon will be the 3 Great Barrow instances around level 22ish. On Landroval, you will probably be able to find a group for it most of the time. You can skip dungeons if you want to, but I'd strongly advise against doing that! Learn how to play in a group, and grouping is fun af in most MMOs. The next dungeon is Garth Agarwen in the Lone Lands. That's for lvl 33ish characters.

Warden, Rune Keeper and Beorning are classes that you have to pay to play, and you can make it through default landscape content on any of the free classes just fine. You don't have to pay a dime to play this game until you hit the end of Lone Lands at 33 or so, so don't throw down any cash until you're sure you really want to keep playing.

If you do decide you want to play past the F2P stuff, buy 1 month VIP and roll all of the alts you think you'll want to play. Doing that will permanently unlock a ton of stuff(Virtues, Class Tree Abilities, Gold Cap, Swift Travel, etc ) for any character that you log in during that month.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

Quest packs and expansions are 30 percent off on sale.

It appears that the newest one isn't included in the sale. :(

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

sgbyou posted:

You do get +4 to all virtues if you do that, but you'll be way behind in deeds.

And don't forget, being behind in deeds means being behind in Turbine Points.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem before. I've been out of the game for a long time but I recently decided to try starting it up again. I left off in Moria, and I was at Volume II, Book 3 of the epic questline. Right now I'm on Chapter 3 of that quest, which says to go to the Chamber of the Crossroads and talk to Bosi. But he isn't there. I've requested help from players in-game who showed me exactly where he's supposed to be standing, but for me, he just doesn't exist. I also checked the LOTRO Wiki page for exact coordinates of where he's supposed to be, and that's where I'm standing.

I already cancelled the quest and then re-started it by talking to the original quest-giver (Brogur) and nothing changed. Also entered a support ticket yesterday. Does anyone know if they're actually looking at those anymore? Obviously this game is very far past its peak popularity, and it was never that popular to begin with, so I don't know what to expect from that. Other than that, I don't really know what else to do. It's a bummer, because I was really looking forward to finally progressing the main storyline again.

Couple of things:

Sir Lemming posted:

...and it was never that popular to begin with...

I poo poo on this game more than anyone here that still ever plays it, but that's not actually true. In its first few years, this game was one of the more popular MMOs, after WoW and Eve of course. As the quality started to drop after SoM, so did the playerbase.

Now to answer your actual question: There was a tool someone released years ago that did something like defrag Lotro's data files to increase performance, so I installed it. I don't know if it improved my performance any, but it had one weird rear end side effect: It made Aragorn disappear. Both versions of him in the Prancing Pony and in the guest house in Rivendell just straight up ceased to exist. I stood in his room at the PP, and watched people zone in, run up to his spot for a sec, and then zone out again. I started asking people if they were seeing him and they were all "lol yeah he's right here". So I reinstalled and he appeared again like normal. That's probably what happened to you.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Wow! Huge, awesome news! I never liked WB, and I knew they were going to be bad for the game from the very beginning. Let's hope the Russian Mafia turn out to be better caretakers.

Prism posted:

Oh, is it something you're expected to use forever from then on? Ugh.
Mounted Combat is necessary for about 25 Warbands in Rohan itself, and pretty much an afterthought beyond that. It is not a popular playstyle. They obviously had to give it a try for Rohan, but it just didn't work out too well. Epic Battles are worse.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
If you're level 100-105: Get a 1st Age LI and Imbue it after you max out its legacies.

If you're between Moria - 100: You can replace your usual 3rd Ager with a 2nd or 1st Ager if/when the opportunity presents itself. 2nd Ages will exist at any 5 level interval, 1st Agers will only be 65, 75, 85, 95 & 100. 2nd Age symbols are so cheap and easy to get that I say go for it if you get the chance. 1st Age symbols are expensive enough to warrant some thinking about before investing in one. Remember, this game is about the journey, so racing to max level and waiting until 100-105 before you even look at your LIs isn't necessarily the best advice.

I like to swap out for brand new 1st Agers every 10 levels, but I know the system and know what I'm getting myself into. YMMV.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
If you're lvl 100-105, you definitely want to get a pair of 1st Agers. A Blemished Symbol of the Elder King usually goes for 125g+ on Landroval, IIRC. It's the single most worthwhile investment you could possibly make with in-game gold. I bought one for my main, and I've been trying to earn one the (super loving)hard way by working on the Central Gondor metadeed. I actually made significant progress on that just last night, because I joined a full group that took down every single Roaming Threat and Warband in Central Gondor. Completed 2 deeds, and maxed out rep with the second of 3 factions needed for the metadeed.

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Vanguard_of_Central_Gondor

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Clarence posted:

Thanks.

Would this be the right order to do things? (for a weapon in this instance) -

Get symbol and craft (or have crafted) a first age weapon
Apply a scroll of delving (10 more levels for the item) to 1st age
Apply crystal of remembrance (extra legacy slot) to 1st age
Grind level 100 third-agers to get legacy replacement scrolls (number depending on what the first age came with) and apply to 1st age
Apply scrolls of empowerment to upgrade legacies below max (once 1st age is max level)
Imbue
Apply Anfalas Star-lit Crystals to increase DPS level cap

Looks like blemished symbols are going for 200g minimum, which about clears me out - but I never spend anything anyway so what the heck!

Exactly. I had to buy 100g worth of Empowerment scrolls to get my legacies maxed out before I imbued.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

sassassin posted:

So the 'we've been "acquired" by a new company we set up' email means this game is about to die, right?

Actually, it feels like everything is quite stable atm. The full blown Morder ~EXPANSION~ will be coming out in the second half of the year, and there's even talk of new character models!

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Silvergun1000 posted:

Cool thank you! I'll probably be solo for now, and I play ranged DPS in most MMOs I've played so I'll give Hunter a shot.

Flowinprose barely even mentioned Minstrels, which, like Rune Keepers, are both Healers and a really great ranged DPS class. Both of these 2 classes are worth looking into if you have a preference for ranged DPS. My main's a Hunter, so I definitely get the appeal.

Lotro has a lot of really unique classes, but Hunters, Guardians and Champions are the three that are completely self-explanatory. You know exactly what you're getting into when you roll one.

Wardens are straight up the most complicated class I've ever seen in an MMO. Only roll one if:
a) You have a really good memory.
b) You consistently tend to play a single toon.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, this game is meant for Tolkien nerds who want to wander around and gawk at all the various locations from the books and enjoy the story. It's not competing with other MMOs with regards to compelling end game raiding. That said, some of the older dungeons and even some of the newer stuff is an absolute blast. This game actually went a few years without any "normal" end game group content because a previous executive producer and other decision makers had their heads buried too deep up their own asses. Their replacements have since realized what a massive error that was, and have been releasing group content for us over the last 1.5 years or so. Only bother with LotRO if you're an actual Tolkien fan. It's fun if you accept it for what it is- one of the best MMOs for story-driven solo questing.

Burglars would be the only class that stands out as possibly being a tiny bit deficient or underappreciated atm.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

sassassin posted:

Ered Luin is the superior starting zone.

Just as a broken clock is right twice a day, sassassin has a single correct opinion.

extra stout posted:

Highlights:

-All interior 'hooks' for items in houses can now be slid around, so you can essentially re-arrange your entire house to have troll heads and wood beds and other things that rhyme with those wherever you want them once this patch hits in February more or less.
Yes!

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

I picked up warden and runekeeper and I see warden has a ranged dps tree. do people actually, like, played them as ranged dps or is that one of those weird non-choice pubbie traps? I can see the value in running around with it for solo leveling, but that sounds really goofy otherwise. :v:

RK seems okay so far and I like the idea that I could play either healer or DPS and nobody would care either way, where I know I'm going to get pigeonholed into healing on Minstrel (which isn't necessarily bad). But I don't know if I like all of the inductions needed.

The visual feel of Wardens is cool. I like running around with a spear and javelin strapped to my back. I made mine a hobbit. :3:

e: if you dont choose the Plumed Hat whenever you make a new character, regardless of your armor type, you are a bad person

flowinprose posted:

I think you're starting to get what this game is really about :)

And as a former CoX player(:cry:), you'll soon come to really appreciate this game's cosmetic system.

I totally agree with you about the way that Wardens look. Even though I don't like how the class plays, running around looking like a Spartan warrior was really cool.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
The worst piece of artwork was the loading screen for Helm's Deep that had a screaming Aragorn surrounded by a horde of orcs that looked like they jumped straight out of the DOOM franchise. IMO, It seemed really inappropriate for this game's older/more mature/well-read player demographics.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

jalapeno_dude posted:

How is the lag in the new zones? Seeing some complaints on the official forums about it but not sure how representative they are.

The initial widespread complaints about lag started with U6. Then the devs stopped doing zone optimization passes as a matter of course as of RoR, which unsurprisingly is right when the complaints began to get really bad. Minas Tirith in particular is a huge problem for people with older machines. I have an awesome rig, and even I occasionally experience slight hitches there. I can only imagine how poorly Lotro would run on my previous PC.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

The Bramble posted:

I just want to speak in defense of the Warden for a moment. The class gets a somewhat deserved reputation for complexity, and there is a monstrous and confusing chart floating around there that describes all the different gambits you can do. While an expert warden knows them all intimately, a 'good enough' warden is one of the most powerful solo players in the game and only needs a handful. That the gambits are mostly repeating patterns is worth noting too - you aren't reinventing the wheel here.

A warden out there leveling on their own can grab 4-6 on-level mobs, tank the damage effectively, and have them all drop at the same time by rotating through Brink of Victory (fi-sh-fi), Surety of Death (fi-sh-fi-sh), and Desolation (fi-sh-fi-sh-fi). That's 2 buttons and you've wiped out a room full of enemies. If you're fighting a strong single target, swap the shield for the spear button. Plus you're wearing medium armor and have a shield, you have a run speed buff and the ability to instantly muster to all the important areas with no cooldown, you have a ranged weapon in the javelin that is just as good as your melee attacks, and when you're all growed up you are an acceptable tank in groups with some retraining.

If you're leveling and spending most of your time solo, I don't think you can do much better than a warden. And because the class has such a high skill ceiling if you choose to reach for it, you can be a very impressive group member who fills a number of roles in later content.

I hate playing Wardens myself, but one of my greatest Lotro memories is from a DG 5-man run back when SoM was still current content. We had a female elf Warden tanking for us, and everything went fine until we hit a boss that obliterated the rest of us in very short order and was still at 75% health. We all stood there in awe as she scream-stabbed this guy to death over the course of 10 minutes or so. *That's* what a well played Warden is capable of.

Hammerstein posted:

Ah ok, uninstalled that Akamai stuff now that the client is finally done updating.

Looks like I have accumulated 33500 Lotro bucks since my last login 2 or 3 year ago. No idea if that's a lot or not and what to spend it on. Gonna make a char on Landroval now.
The consensus is to buy Barter Wallet, Shared Storage and enough content to get you through any level range. In particular, Evendim & Moria are considered to be a must-haves.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I was serious about the advice on how to play a champion.

I do the tanky blue line. I like the survivability but it's a bit slow. The others seem more efficient but 1. I fear dying too quickly and 2. they seem to rely on you having good equipment, which is really not my case (at level 50 I'm using Angmarian things if only because I refuse to do the Legendary Weapon quest so that I can 100% Moria eventually (read: never)).

Whatever you think you're doing by not grabbing your LIs is misguided. Drop everything and go straight to Elrond so you can see the Fellowship off in the Moria Epic Book Intro. Then go straight to Echad Dwhateverthefuckitscalled in Eregion to start the quest that rewards your first LI. You can go back to Angmar/Forochel/ERPing at the Prancing Pony after that to begin leveling your LI. Most people do this as a matter of course the moment they hit 45.

Moria is BY FAR the best content in the entire game. Its 6 & 12-man dungeons are must-see content. Anyone that says differently has bad opinions(i.e. Sassassin). Buy the Moria expansion/quest pack immediately or just stop playing.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

You aren't missing out on much by not buying the Rise of Isengard content because that area's just... not great. Mirkwood was a step down from Moria but Isengard was Turbine stumbling and falling off the quality cliff.
Agreed.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless this was changed in the last year that's not necessary. All you have to do is hit 45 and go talk to the NPC in Eregion.
I know, but it's Tolkien. We're here because of Tolkien...Right? I run it on every single character. I guess I'm just weird like that. :ms:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Last night I logged on my Hunter main for the first time in a couple months. The LI shimmer on her bow was definitely more FX-intensive than it was before, and I can even confirm that by comparing screenshots. I asked a kinnie if they had done an FX pass, but he wasn't sure. I later realized that this was probably only the first or second time that I've logged her in since I imbued her bow and that the increased Light Saberishness might be due to imbuement.

So Goons: Did they do an FX pass, or does Imbuement make the glow on your LIs look more awesome?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Landroval has always had a stable population. You have nothing to worry about. :)

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Hello Goons, I would like to try this game. What class would you recommend for a newcomer? A few of my friends told me Warden was very fun. I don't mind tanking and would like a relatively smooth solo experience.

I'd advise against starting with a Warden. It's a class you have to pay to play, and it's extremely complicated. Seriously, it's by far the most complicated class I've ever seen in an MMO. Start with whatever role you're comfortable playing in this type of game. They give you plenty of slots to start out with, so you can try a few different things out. You'll usually know if a class is working out for you by level 20 or so.

I usually advise people to avoid rolling human to start with in this game. The starter area is exactly like the human starting zone in every single fantasy game you've ever played. It's all your fault, not the game's, if Breeland is too much like Elwynn Forest for your liking. Play a Hobbit or something.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I'm finally about to get a war horse for my Guardian on Laurelin, but I've heard a lot of bad things about mounted combat for Guards. Can any Goonguards give me some advice on what my least-shittiest option is? My main's a Hunter, which is supposedly one of the better classes for MC, but I hate MC nonetheless.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

I think I'm going to try Minstrel or Hunter. Does this game have decent loot? I like good looking weapons and playing dress up is important. Are there end game weapons to chase?

Only super hero MMOs beat this game for PC clothing options.

As Innerguard mentioned, it looks like WoW stole this game's Legendary Items system and made some slight modifications to it.

This game has just recently started to return to the "normal" MMO paradigm of phat lewt-based end game raiding. The previous company that owned the game hired an Executive Producer literally from Farmville that didn't seem to get what MMOs are all about, and she staunchly insisted that the number of people that raid was so insignificant that they weren't going to waste money on it. Unsurprisingly, that almost killed the game. The devs have done a pretty good job of turning things around, all things considered.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
The game is completely free with only a few extremely minor downsides(a few little stat bonuses and swift travel between towns) until around level 33. At that point, you'll need to buy 2-3 quest packs to bridge the gap between 33 and 50- which is when you hit Moria, the 1st expansion. I know there's a really good xpac pack bundle, but I'm not sure what the details on that are.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
After months of grinding, I finally finished the Vanguard of Central Gondor deed just a little while ago. I was happy to finally get the [Blemished Symbol of the Elder King] it awards, but the grinding nearly drove me insane and it was a huge letdown from a story perspective. Even Hytboldt had more/better closure.

Tomorrow I start picking flowers because I'm always one region behind.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Stonewalljack posted:

I'm new to this game and trying to figure the cheapest option from 32-50. It looks like Evendim and Angmar should cover that range and get me into range of the quad expansion pack. Evendim seems universally endorsed, but apparently Angmar has half fellowship quests. I'm looking to play one of the stronger solo classes so I wouldn't mind trying to solo the small fellowship quests. The newest thread about this on the official forums was 3-4 years old; if anyone has additional tips I'd much appreciate them.

Some of us really hate Forochel. It's basically Hoth in Middle Earth. After the initial starting area, it's all just white. You get lost easily(especially at night), and everything is massively spread out. You have to take the same road around a giant, lethal ice bay that occupies the center of the zone. I find it as depressing(if not more) as a lot of people find Angmar to be.

Get Eregion instead. It's full of mountains, apple trees, Elven ruins and it's quests are actually relevant to the passage of the Fellowship.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Extra stout really has a soft spot for ManBearPigs. I'd advise against starting with any of the Pay To Play classes(Warden, Beorning & Rune Keeper). Start with a default class. You can have fun with anything, but I hear that Burglars are in a really bad place atm.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
The very top one is the pet bar, and the next highest bar is almost all LM pets & vanity pets. Plus, I'm pretty sure that LM is the "worst" class for bar overload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Innerguard posted:

I picked up one of the scavenger hunt quests but goodness, everything looks like it all needs a high level.
Is there any way of doing them as a lowbie?

Also where do you get the dragon fireworks from? I haven't found them yet.

Year One Trifles: Old Foes can be completed with help from toons 60+. If you're too low in level, like below 30, even that might not be doable. You have to go into both southeastern Misty Mountains and to the rear end end of Forochel, with plenty of aggro along the way if your chaperones aren't vigilant enough.

Year Two has a Shire pub crawl that ends in the Lone Lands, so that one is even easier. Why they didn't make that the Year One one instead is beyond me.