Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lifetime subscribers still get 500TP a month if nothing else, IIRC. You have to have logged in since the game went F2P to have it start accumulating, but people who've done so and then log in years later find themselves with tens of thousands of TP to burn on whatever.

I believe he means he hit 105 more easily because all subscribers, lifetime or monthly get rested exp 'the blue bar' found in most MMOs including this one, but instead you have needlessly reminded me that I am a huge idiot bitch who 10 years ago told myself "Lifetime account? I can't imagine that would be worth it".

Lum_ posted:

I am also level 70! Thanks to a bunch of Dunlendings calling me names for helping them with their crap and also hunters being wackily overpowered.

Congratulations, also while hunters are definitely a good DPS class I think class changes, gear changes, numbers shifting around in general over the years has made all classes feel pretty easy to level up, hunters are balanced at 105 in a comical way: In PVP you don't have enough health to survive, and in PVE there are so many brainless hunter players that they let two of you in and then change the world chat ad to say NO MORE HUNTERS immediately.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Doing the Far Anorien stuff, I've found my hunter damage to be awesome, but I'm super squishy sometimes. Definitely glass cannon.

It's annoying how much Turbine seems to do quests that needlessly punish ranged classes. Quests where you have to talk to the guy then he aggros, and some of the quests in Far Anorien are poorly designed to where you have to kill the mobs where they spawn or you don't get credit. Really makes it more challenging for ranged that need to keep that distance.

It helps that stuff can die in 3-4 skills, but if I have 2-3 or me, I may not get that much time. My 2 heal skills have long inductions and don't seem to do much anyways.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
uhhhh

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?649784-Standing-Stone-Games-A-message-from-Rob-Ciccolini

quote:

Greetings,

Today we have some momentous news! The game teams responsible for The Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) and Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO) are now moving from Turbine to Standing Stone Games, a newly formed indie game studio. In addition, we’ve partnered with Daybreak Games to provide global publishing services. They’ve had a long, successful history developing and publishing MMOs, and we’re happy to lean on their expertise.

With the announcement out of the way, I wanted to talk to you about what all this means.

We're embarking on an exciting adventure as Standing Stone Games, a newly-independent studio staffed by people who have been working on DDO and LOTRO for many years. The teams remain very much committed to both games and are thrilled to continue development and operations of these games as an independent studio. This is an opportunity for us to bring about our dreams while still working on two of the biggest licenses in video games. It's a huge honor, and for you this means your games will continue to grow and improve. We love to focus on games with a high level of depth and scope, and we can't wait to show you what the future brings.

Although a great many exciting things are happening on our end, you'll be able to continue playing the game(s) you enjoy with as little interruption as possible. Our development continues on track, and the plans we have already announced remain firmly in our future view. Again, although we are a new studio, we are also the same developers who have been and will continue to work on our games.

Our success has always been possible because of your support. As we move forward, this is more important than ever. The ultimate goal of our new studio is to continue to bring you amazing experiences. We are excited for the future, and we’re thrilled to have you with us on this journey.

Here's to great games, epic adventures, and memorable times with friends!

~Sev

I don't like change! Especially working with Daybreak Games (aka, used to be Sony Online Entertainment, used to be Verant, aka, the guys that run EverQuest)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
More

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?649786-Standing-Stone-Games-Transition-FAQ

quote:

What’s happening:

The Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online have been acquired by Standing Stone Games, a newly-formed independent game studio made up of the same groups that have been working on LOTRO and DDO for years. We remain committed to both games, and are thrilled to be able to take these games in exciting directions for a long time to come. Standing Stone Games will operate as an independent studio, with global publishing support from Daybreak Games.

What does this mean?

It’s business as usual for both LOTRO and DDO’s operations and development. Both games will continue along their respective development paths and bring you the content you enjoy.

What is happening to Turbine?

Turbine will no longer be involved in the development of LOTRO and DDO. They will continue on the development of their products.

What about my account?

Your account login information remains the same. You’ll keep all purchases, including Turbine Points, VIP subscription time, Lifetime Memberships for LOTRO, and any things you’ve picked up through the in-game Store.

Are you planning to make any changes to the cost of VIP?

We are always looking for additional ways to offer the best value to our VIP players. The cost and value of the VIP program remains unchanged, although it's possible we may offer additional benefits or tiers of subscription in the future.

What’s happening to Turbine Points?

Your point total remains intact. The name of your points will change from Turbine Points to DDO or LOTRO Points, but the value of these points will not change.

What about game cards like Turbine Point cards and subscription time cards?

You’ll still be able to redeem game cards you’ve purchased.

What about my Lifetime Membership?

Your Lifetime Membership will continue to be honored, and no changes to it will be made.

Will this require any downtime or impact our ability to login?

We encourage players to keep an eye on our social media feeds and forums, as there may be some periods of downtime while we do technical and other work in the coming weeks. Our plan is to of course minimize the amount of downtime to the least possible.

Will the servers be changing?

We'll continue to operate out of our existing data center, and there are no plans to change servers in any way.

What does this mean for licensing of the Dungeons & Dragons and Lord of the Rings IPs?

We’ve updated our licensing agreements without issue and will continue that relationship.

How do we contact customer service after the transition?

support.turbine.com

Does this mean the games are shutting down?

No! On the contrary, we are extremely excited by this transition into an independent studio, and we can't wait to work on the game long into the future.

Are the web sites changing? What about Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites?

We may do some work on DDO.com and LOTRO.com in the future, but the web sites and social media URLs will stay the same. We'll be switching out some corporate logos and such in the coming weeks, of course, but if you've subscribed to us on YouTube or liked us on Facebook, for example, there's nothing you'll need to do.

How does this impact Daybreak Games?

Daybreak Game Company’s role as publisher for LOTRO and DDO should have no impact on any existing Daybreak games.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Daybreak has it? The guys who have EQ2?

RIP LotRO, you had a good run.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

xZAOx posted:

I don't like change! Especially working with Daybreak Games (aka, used to be Sony Online Entertainment, used to be Verant, aka, the guys that run EverQuest)

Daybreak Games is a different entity than SOE used to be, owned by a different, slightly more vodka oriented peoples.

They've managed to run the old SOE games without issue, though, so no immediate reason to panic.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I'm still playing this silly game that I started a month ago. I have a level 33 minstrel hobbit gal and she is adorable. Also, I have a level 50 Beorning, but I don't think I'll play her anymore. Beorning is a slow, boring slog compared to a tiny hobbit killing orcs by shouting loudly at them.

Every time I log in, I find myself wanting to try a different class. The difference in playstyle between Beorning and minstrel is MASSIVE. It seems as though all classes have vastly different mechanics - like not just different playstyles, but completely unique mechanics that make each class feel like I'm playing a different game. Anyone have a recommendation for a new player to try next? I'm interested in classes that have a place in a group, since I love doing group content.

I just figured out what deeds are, and how they relate to traits. I finally get why people might want to slow down leveling; I find myself outleveled in zones pretty quickly. I also bought a little elf-house and am slowly decorating it.

I still don't understand a few things... namely, what legendary weapons are / how they work / what a "second age" item is.

But, dang, this game is pretty for such an old game (except the character models - those seriously need an update). I'm still loving just getting on my little hobbit pony and wandering the hills of the Shire and Bree-Land while the sun sets.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 19, 2016

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Conskill posted:

Daybreak Games is a different entity than SOE used to be, owned by a different, slightly more vodka oriented peoples.

aka literally the mafiya

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/03/videogames-inc-unraveling-the-corporate-ownership.html

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Conskill posted:

They've managed to run the old SOE games without issue, though, so no immediate reason to panic.

As far as day-to-day, DBG started as the exact same people from SOE. Since the new owners took over though, a lot of people have been let go as they've massively reduced their staff. A lot of leadership and veteran people were let go / fired.

That said, the game has indeed just continued on as normal. They still gently caress up all the time, just as they did when they were SOE (source: I play on Phinny).

Hyperbole about this LOTRO news aside, I suspect this will indeed just be "more of the same" but with a few logo / name changes here and there. I'm not really sure how DBG will play into this. It'd be interesting if this is a stepping stone into it becoming a DBG property, as all of DBG's stuff is FTP as well.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
We should really change the title of this thread.

After the transition to Standing Stone my suggestion is now 'Lord of the Rings Online: We Got A Rock'.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Thursday Next posted:

I still don't understand a few things... namely, what legendary weapons are / how they work / what a "second age" item is.
The LOTRO wiki page on Legendaries. This will give a fairly thorough introduction. If you don't have time for that then you can read this:

Legendary Items ("LIs") are class-specific equipment that level up with you. They first appear in Moria, which you can kinda sorta start at level 45. LIs have several "legacies," which are bonuses to some skill or stat, like "-2 to Chord of Salvation cooldown" or "+10 Will." As the legendary levels up, it gets points that you can spend on its legacies to make their associated bonus stronger.

Legendary items are associated with an Age. Keeping in line with how Tolkien works, items associated with an earlier, nobler time are just plain better than stuff crafted by the mouth-breathing shitheads living now. Third Age LIs are okay, Second Agers are better, while First Age LIs are the best and thus highly coveted. In gameplay terms, "older" legendaries have better stats and gain more legacy points per level. They also take much more item exp to level up and require more obscure materials to craft.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
When do you start getting Second and First Age LIs? I've still only been getting Third Age ones at 70 and they're only marginally better than non-LI weapons at this point.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lum_ posted:

When do you start getting Second and First Age LIs? I've still only been getting Third Age ones at 70 and they're only marginally better than non-LI weapons at this point.

When you craft them. They don't drop as far as I've seen. (Except maybe from raids?)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Lum_ posted:

That's really all you'll see drop. Second and First Age LIs are crafted, using "Symbols". The First Age symbols always ends with "of the Elder King". Second Age symbols are "of Celembrimbor". There's new symbols every tier.

As you're leveling up, honestly - don't worry with FA / SA. The original Legendary Item design was heavily flawed IMO. You will find yourself replacing your LIs pretty often, as later ones are always more powerful. Every 5-10 levels or so you should ditch it and gear up a new one.

Always be collecting the third agers, and leveling them up, and deconning them. I recommend deconning at 31, that way you'll get a legacy scroll. There are times in the game where you'll be overflowing with them, and other times where they feel more sparse - when sparse, take them up to 60 before deconning. Save all the runes - the exp is always good, then when you decide it's time to max out a new legacy, you'll have plenty of legacy scrolls to get the skills you want on it, and you can crap a bunch of runes into it so that it's maxed out.

Once you get to level 100, you *imbue* your LI, and from that point on you don't really replace it anymore. But don't fret, there's still a gently caress ton of grinding to power it up :P.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Prism posted:

When you craft them. They don't drop as far as I've seen. (Except maybe from raids?)
Raids can give symbols. Legendary Item Vendors in skirmish camps will let you buy level 65, 75, and 85 symbols. Some quests will reward symbols or LIs.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ArchWizard posted:

Raids can give symbols. Legendary Item Vendors in skirmish camps will let you buy level 65, 75, and 85 symbols. Some quests will reward symbols or LIs.

Ah, thanks. Wasn't sure as I've never done a raid.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
hmmm... did I screw myself taking scholar instead of bowcrafting for crafting then? (I'm gonna go with "yes" given how useless fire pots are and how seldom I've crafted healing pots)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lum_ posted:

hmmm... did I screw myself taking scholar instead of bowcrafting for crafting then? (I'm gonna go with "yes" given how useless fire pots are and how seldom I've crafted healing pots)

I thought light-oils weren't bad.

Anyhow, almost certainly not really, someone in the guild can almost certainly make one for you if you have a symbol. (I can't; I do Metalsmith.)

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Lum_ posted:

Scholars are mostly about support. Oils and other combat boosters are fun but not necessary while leveling. Dyes are neat but only serve to make you feel good for a little while. It's rare to even use healing potions, much less use them enough to justify cranking them out in large quantities. What scholars are great at doing is making legendary books for nerd classes and making items that boost critical success rates when crafting. If you only have one character, making that character a scholar is iffy. If you had a bunch of characters with all the crafting professions covered, having a scholar would be fantastic.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 20, 2016

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

xZAOx posted:

Doing the Far Anorien stuff, I've found my hunter damage to be awesome, but I'm super squishy sometimes. Definitely glass cannon.

It's annoying how much Turbine seems to do quests that needlessly punish ranged classes. Quests where you have to talk to the guy then he aggros, and some of the quests in Far Anorien are poorly designed to where you have to kill the mobs where they spawn or you don't get credit. Really makes it more challenging for ranged that need to keep that distance.

It helps that stuff can die in 3-4 skills, but if I have 2-3 or me, I may not get that much time. My 2 heal skills have long inductions and don't seem to do much anyways.

Take this advice with a grain of salt because I'm a terrible MMO player/hunter, but I had your problem of feeling super squishy when I hit the endgame (I remember dying repeatedly and over in the Dol Amroth instances when that was the endgame content). Here are some things that helped:

-Check your rotation (this was what helped me not die in Dol Amroth). When leveling (as Red line) I had gotten into a rut of spamming Quick Shot/Swift Bow into Penetrating Shot/Upshot. That works fine to burn down single mobs with normal HP. But for groups make sure you're fearing one mob with Bard's Arrow, rooting with Pinning Shot, etc. As Red line you almost never want to stand there in melee combat; just stand there long enough to get a Blindside for the free focus then use your Low Cut root to get back out to ranged distance. And remember those traps you have and never use unless you're crazy and play yellow line? They're perfect for the case where you have to talk to the boss before fighting--just lay down a trap, talk, then back away while they're rooted.

-Take advantage of imbued legacies. If you run in Strength Stance then Strength Quick Shot Slow will let you get a few extra shots off before they close to melee range. (I've found that the decreased damage you take as a result of the Quick Shot slow is much better for survivability then Endurance Stance in almost all circumstances.) For better healing consider taking the Press Onward Cooldown imbued legacy--that'll take you from a 2m -> 30 sec cooldown, so you can basically heal after every fight/in the middle of boss fights.

-Consider using some of your essence slots for Morale until you get to a number that makes you feel safe--right now I'm sitting at 26,559 morale which IIRC is ~10k higher than it was before I started endgame gearing.

Haven't logged in since the update today, but the new Blood Arrow heal should also make Hunters feel significantly less squishy.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 20, 2016

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Also blue line is actually significantly tons more DPS than red line because you can effectively never run out of focus and just spam finishers all day and two-shot every mob that looks at you.

(this may change at max level but I doubt it)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Heh yeah, I played when Dol Amroth was current, and as a hunter you just got *wrecked* in the library. I had to drastically update my gear and make use of all my CC to do it. Obviously as better gear came out with region packs it got simpler.

And as Lum said, now-a-days blue is the go-to, not red. So you're constantly running away anyways. It's just those that stop you from keeping range that are tough, but yeah, definitely make use of the various dazes / fears / traps as you can.

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong. Apparently the time remaining is just until the daily reset. I thought it was set to X hours after you do it. My bad :(.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 20, 2016

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Btw, Yule Festival started yesterday. Looks like you can get like 40 tokens (more if you're better at pie eating and go around to the starter cities) per reset, which seems to be 4 hours. Then you can buy star-lit crystals for 120 I think it was?

Looks like I'll be grinding that as much as I can.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

ArchWizard posted:

The LOTRO wiki page on Legendaries. This will give a fairly thorough introduction. If you don't have time for that then you can read this:

Legendary Items ("LIs") are class-specific equipment that level up with you. They first appear in Moria, which you can kinda sorta start at level 45. LIs have several "legacies," which are bonuses to some skill or stat, like "-2 to Chord of Salvation cooldown" or "+10 Will." As the legendary levels up, it gets points that you can spend on its legacies to make their associated bonus stronger.

Legendary items are associated with an Age. Keeping in line with how Tolkien works, items associated with an earlier, nobler time are just plain better than stuff crafted by the mouth-breathing shitheads living now. Third Age LIs are okay, Second Agers are better, while First Age LIs are the best and thus highly coveted. In gameplay terms, "older" legendaries have better stats and gain more legacy points per level. They also take much more item exp to level up and require more obscure materials to craft.

THANK YOU.

Seriously, this was tremendously clear and helpful. I'm not even level 40 yet, so I still have a long way to go. I'm shocked at how much I'm enjoying this game; all I needed to do was stop trying to level quickly. Enjoying the storyline and solo play is great.

Do you have any advice on what sort of character to try for a new player? I've got zero interest in hunter, because that seems to be the class that literally everyone is playing, but other than that I'm in for anything.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Interesting, I had some concerns that they might lose the license with the split from WB but if they are planning new character models I would have to think they expect to be around for awhile.

http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/20/lotro-is-considering-revamping-its-character-models-in-2017/

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
New character models would be cool, but on my personal wish list of things I'd like to see addressed, it's so, so far down, heh.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
It's pretty critical for getting/keeping new customers

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

xZAOx posted:

Btw, Yule Festival started yesterday. Looks like you can get like 40 tokens (more if you're better at pie eating and go around to the starter cities) per reset, which seems to be 4 hours. Then you can buy star-lit crystals for 120 I think it was?

Looks like I'll be grinding that as much as I can.

Don't forget the Inn League/Ale Association quests, which usually ~double the amount of tokens you can get per day.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Lum_ posted:

I just don't see old MMOs ever really growing. I could be wrong, but I think it's an uphill battle, with new games coming out all the time. It might be a turn off, but I don't think anyone thinks "I want to play this almost 10 year old game" and things like character models really influencing if they stick around.

I do think things though like "game likes to drop a gently caress ton of frames all of a sudden while running buttery smooth the rest of the time" do drive people away. Seems to happen a lot on turning in quests, deconning LIs, sometimes when killing an enemy.

Rubber-banding while on a war steed constantly.

Not having a group finder that actually works (yes, people can and do manually put them together, but even if it stayed just to your server to keep the community together, a real dungeon run tool is usually expected).

Really tedious UI for common things like combining relics.

Notifications that you can't disable (yes, LIs level up all the loving time, shut up about it).

Those things all feel more important to me to keeping customers around than upgrading graphics on a decade old game.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Lum_ posted:

Pro tip for keeping this customer from beta: Don't you fuckers dare remodel my dwarf face, beard or gut

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

xZAOx posted:

Rubber-banding while on a war steed constantly.

It's been that way from the moment they implemented it...

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Oxphocker posted:

It's been that way from the moment they implemented it...

Yep, and it still sucks.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
How much war-steeding is mandatory? I don't expect I'll like it very much.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Prism posted:

How much war-steeding is mandatory? I don't expect I'll like it very much.

It's significantly faster travel speed than normal horses and fighting mounted enemies while on foot is pretty much suicide for certain classes. Get a light war horse, focus heavily on agility(?) and such and you'll get used to the system quick enough to tolerate it.

Plus you can cheese a lot of non-mounted enemies when mounted. Basically from 75-95 the only things I couldn't solo were enemy warbands that were mounted and immune to dismount. Anything else I was able to solo though some took long enough that it wasn't worth the time (mainly the 'raid' warbands).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's significantly faster travel speed than normal horses and fighting mounted enemies while on foot is pretty much suicide for certain classes. Get a light war horse, focus heavily on agility(?) and such and you'll get used to the system quick enough to tolerate it.

Plus you can cheese a lot of non-mounted enemies when mounted. Basically from 75-95 the only things I couldn't solo were enemy warbands that were mounted and immune to dismount. Anything else I was able to solo though some took long enough that it wasn't worth the time (mainly the 'raid' warbands).

Oh, is it something you're expected to use forever from then on? Ugh.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Prism posted:

I basically only use my warsteed as a much much faster mount at this point. Speed is discussed in detail here , but in terms of the % bonus that's used everywhere else in the game, a Light Warsteed has around a +130% speed bonus outside zones which allow mounted combat and +146% inside them (which is most of Rohan and Gondor). So starting at level 75 you can get around almost 2.5 times as fast as you can run, compared to the measly 1.62 - 1.68 with a normal mount. This is a huge quality of life improvement which IMO more than makes up for the annoyance of having to avoid/run from/kill the occasional mounted combat landscape mob and sit through a few forced mounted combat instances (which are basically gone after Rohan, I can think of a couple in Far Anorien but they fit thematically and are trivially easy).

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 21, 2016

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Wow! Huge, awesome news! I never liked WB, and I knew they were going to be bad for the game from the very beginning. Let's hope the Russian Mafia turn out to be better caretakers.

Prism posted:

Mounted Combat is necessary for about 25 Warbands in Rohan itself, and pretty much an afterthought beyond that. It is not a popular playstyle. They obviously had to give it a try for Rohan, but it just didn't work out too well. Epic Battles are worse.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

One of the best things about being a burglar is that some of the 'mounted combat necessary' fights can be one shot on foot.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Just got to Evendim. This game is lovely. Character models are awful, and the world shouldn't be looked at too closely lest you notice the extremely low-poly count on everything. But drat, those textures and that water and that light. Very pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
For such an old game engine, it still produces some great environments. I really love the view distance too in a lot of areas. Like from atop Weathertop or the beacons.