Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hey I finally found this thread.

I've also added Moronosi.

My main is:
Foxjo- a hunter. I'm usually around 5-6 pm EST due to actually living in Europe.

After the merge I'll likely be on my alts:
Refiralin- 45 champion.
Renardir- 80-ish LM.

I still have really flexible hours so if it's going to be a matter of getting on for a group thing I can usually make it.

Thanks for keeping things running Hoboknife and Bombhand. I'm looking forward for a more active kin, I for one have always enjoyed just chatting to people. I'm not the best at actually raiding, but I follow instructions well-enough.

I've finally begun to make my push through central Gondor to hopefully finish the East before Minas Tirith and I've got to say Lebennin is really pretty. There's something tangentially different about Gondor when compared to Rohan, even though they seem somewhat similar (Kingdoms of Men invaded by armies). I don't know what it is, but whereas Rohan seriously began to bore me, Gondor manages to stay interesting and cool to see every time.

Oh and to anyone not sure to join up. Just ask yourself if you ever wanted to see the Shire and do dumbshit for hobbits. The Shire is the best starting zone and it just hits all the right notes. The whole game does that with a lot of the lore. It's by far the best thing about it, seeing the massive explorable world of Middle Earth accessible at your feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I have no idea what the currencies are for or where to spend them. I'm really not the most aware when it comes to that sort of stuff. My gear would probably be some pretty old beat-up crap were it not for the kindness and generosity of the kinship, particularly bombhand.

That said, Central Gondor is pretty good. It does the quest progression pretty well and while the enemies are vastly the same, though this is the case throughout the whole game, the geography is really nice. They really managed to portray Gondor as a sort Mediterranean area. Honestly it feels like some parts of the south of France that I've visited. So going from the mountainy pines of Ethering, to the dunes and coastal lowlands of Linhir, and eventually the floodplains west of Pelargir is really nice and natural. I've yet to hit East Gondor but most of Gondor has seemed pretty quality to me, especially compared to the dreariness of the greens and browns of the plains of Rohan. The only interesting areas there were the foothills of the mountain areas like the Stonedeans and even then. I think what also helps is that lore-wise they drew from a really interesting aspect that's little mentioned in the book: Castimir and the Kin-Strike.

I was a bit worried about Minas Tirith, seeing how bland Helm's Deep turned out, but Central Gondor has made me pretty optimistic actually. I'm genuinely curious to see Osgiliath. If you don't mind, I may try writing some quick blurbs on the classes I'm familiar with and sending it to you, not unlike your beorning entry, I think new players would like to know who/what they can play as. It's at least the thing I know I look for in other MMO threads first posts. Also, it'll ease up on the load of material you have to provide.

Has anyone else been doing the Bingo Boffin weekly stuff? Should it be mentioned as new material? It's really pleasant to be back in the Shire especially after all the Gondorian doom and gloom.

Lastly, if we do get a presence going on I really really really want to try to do a Chicken run. It's one of my goals and I've managed to beat all of the ones leading to the big hit-every-stop-in-Eriador quest. I think the Doodles were the others to give it a go.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Brave New World posted:

That's exactly what I thought too. They somehow managed to amp up the graphical appeal of Gondor compared to Rohan even. And seeing the beacons emitting smoke really conveys a sense that "important poo poo is happening" in a way that no other region has to date.

If you play the music they have some cool string stuff going down in Gondor, it's very fitting. The whole dark sky is thing is a bit dreary, and reminiscent of Angmar, but I get why it's there. It's hard to remember, because of the low population, but we're supposedly a member each of a large general Army of Free People's constantly skirmishing and fighting the enemies invading the land. I imagine when there's more of a presence of players, you get that impression.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

extra stout posted:

Also I got a chance to ask Frelorn about future additions to Bingo Bartering, since you can already buy about every item you'd want from it and there's something like 48 weeks to go. He said he doesn't work in that department and can't promise anything, but that's surely something he'll pass on to them and something he said he imagine they'd definitely be adding more rewards to. But, that is new fun player stuff, not a source of true Tolkien lore, PVP gear, or end game content so I might get to that last, it's pretty simple too.

If they ever make Bingo's Sunday Best available I'm getting it. It's like a boating outfit from la Belle Epoque, a flower in the lapel, and red tie. It's too ridiculous. He's also had some good titles over the run so far like 'Afraid-of-Toads' and my favorite, 'Drinking-buddy'.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ukrainius maximus posted:

Are there many open-world dungeons similar to Goblin-town? I've played this game on and off for so long and my current highest is my Hobbit guardian on Landroval, who is a few levels into Lothlorien. I think they re-did Goblin-town or something though which meant I was able to solo through it and I had so much loving fun going through there and just being a bad-rear end Hobbit saving elf mans and womens and killing goblins.

Are there other places like that? I really like the whole open, non-instanced kind of dungeon feel. Moria was pretty good for that, but I stopped playing a few months ago because Lothlorien just got sort of dull riding back and forth doing all of the intro stuff.

I want to say es... but I'm not really sure since I've never played the Misty Mountains. I think that the feel of the game changes substantially once you hit Rohan. There's a real sense of apocalypse and war in Rohan that doesn't ever really leave in Gondor. It's there you realize there's a war going on and a legitimate problem in Middle Earth. Angmar is probably the only region that gives that impression so well. Great River is a mini Rohan so going through there will show you what you're in store for.

Because of this new tone the game takes on though you do feel like you're playing a significant if small part of a larger war, but there are a lot less just kinda fun adventuring of the earlier zones.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bombhand posted:

I have a guilded woodworker and I imagine that's the class that would do staves. But that toon's got 30 minutes left on an XP tome and I don't want to log into it until I'm ready to burn as many levels out of it as I can... I'm feeling very torn.

Also, for other people as they reach 100, there should be several more Blemished Symbols of Celebrimbor in kin chest. And a handful of lower-level symbols as well for people who are still leveling toons.

I should go drop some stuff in that chest now that you mention. Or maybe I'll just wait for after transfer. Maybe we could get a pool going for Dol Amroth tokens as well? At the very least people can use them to unlock the siege quest if not actually buy the armor pieces.

We should try to get together and do a Tarlang's crown run or something, those were hard to come by

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ruffz posted:

The only transfers that are allowed right now are ones between the 5 destination servers. They just posted an update on the LOTRO forum yesterday. Servers with lower populations are getting to move first, they estimate mid-September for it all to begin. Transfers for servers like Silverlode are currently estimated for "October to November". So it could be 2-3 months before we get to move still. :negative:

Totally ok with this. Should be enough time to get through East Gondor and be raring to go forward.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Will the horse trader dude still be selling the older rewards back in Michel Delving? Had I known it was a one time thing I'd of picked up the rabbit too.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It really depends. As a kin I don't think we're by any means across the board level 100's. Most players have characters all across the board, and my personal goal is to get one to permanently stay at Moria level, since those are the best instances that haven't been scaled.

Even then once the server is more populated I'm sure you'll be able to find people at your level to run things with.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Brave New World posted:

There's a group called The Order of the Tortoise that does stuff like that. I have a 65 Guardian over there that's not moving on until he's completed all of Moria. He's a dwarf, so it's kinda his raison d'etre.

We definitely think alike, I've a got a dwarf champion with the same goal in mind.

extra stout posted:

Did you run the raid content between Mirkwood and Rohan? I'm with you on Moria having very cool content, but I can't imagine nostalgia keeping me from the rest of the game.

I mean have my level 100 and ideally I'd have players tortoise'd at the right levels do stuff like that, but that's one of those long-term plans of mine I'm not going to ever actually do like learning how to speed-read or write with my left hand.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Warden's seem to be more hands-on since you have to remember gambit's and all. LM's are face roll as all hell thanks to pets, but also super squishy. Champions can take most things on with no issue and will kill pretty quickly but I found them more skill pattern repetition than hunters, probably cause I played it badly.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zipline posted:

Other games give you multiple paths so each alt can be different, but LoTRO doesn't. Everyone goes to Bree, and it's all the same from there. Otherwise I'd probably level a Man Minstrel

There are only 3 starter zones, but you're not obliged to stick to the one your race dictates. As a Man you can just as easily make your way to the Shire or Ered Luin if you haven't done them yet. After you've done all 3 sure, no more options, but you can mix and match.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I've been on vacation and will be for a bit longer and I was wondering if I don't do the Bingo Boffin quests when they're released I can always catch up? I have no idea how these sorts of things work as usual.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

When do they usually go on sale? Christmas?

I'm already in the upper 40s and from what I'm seeing all 4 are $40 if you buy them all at once. How cheaper is cheaper?

I think I've only spent a fully priced game ($40-$60) for all the game content at this point. I've never subscribed and I got all the regions in game through just getting TP from deeds (I had to grind a little). It's feasible to get it all for cheap. The sales will seriously bring down the price hard.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm conflicted. I don't know if I want to just re-start completely and make a guardian to take through at least Misty Mountains, or if tackle them with my 25 runekeeper or my 25 warden, both then which would probably test my patience less and hence have a better, though still unlikely chance, to get to 100.

On the other hand I finished all the East Gondor content on my 100 hunter, so hooray for that. It's why I'm figuring out what to do next. I do have a lot of xp boosters so leveling shouldn't be an issue.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 29, 2015

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Also I'm thinking of doing Hytbold. Would it be easier to do it on level (though I don't intend to do every quest in East Rohan), or would it be best to do it with my 100 who has done everything already in East Rohan but that?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

alucinor posted:

I went back and did it last after doing everything else in Rohan, and I regret it. It's soooo tedious and there's very little progress you can make each day. It would have made much more sense to start it as soon as I got the quest, and do the dailies before I did more interesting stuff.

I also didn't get anything good for doing it because I was so over-leveled by the time I finished.

xZAOx posted:

Always easier to overgear things. The problem with Hytbold won't be the content though, it will be not killing yourself before you finish.

I ended up doing about 60-70% during a big play period, then leaving the game for several months, coming back, catching up to current content, then finally finishing it for no real reason. Terrible decision on their part to not really close out the main storyline until you finish that terrible grind.

Completionism is a big reason for me to want to do it. The reason I want to do it with my 100 is only because I've already done everything in East Rohan with that character, and seeing that reputation somehow plays a part, I feel it'd be easier to just give myself that headstart. I didn't care for Rohan much the first time around so I don't think my patience would last long were I to re-do that whole process on the on level character.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

How interesting is Forochel? I just realized I've never touched it and I'm getting set to start Moria. I figure I'm probably way over leveled for it by this point.

I liked the exoticness of Forochel, but it is a large empty wasteland, but what else would you want it to be? Quest progression is pretty straightforward and the plot isn't half bad.

xZAOx posted:

Of course, completion-ism is the only reason any of us are stupid enough to suffer that grind hah. Remember that you're talking to the guy who started when The Hobbit came out and did every solo-able quest and a lot of the group ones on the same character :)

I know. I was hoping you'd respond too cause you're the one guy who I know really knows what that sort of grind can be like. I'm trying to complete everything as well, though spread out amongst several characters. I think I'll do Hytbold but I won't go crazy over it, I doubt I'll give it a straight 47 days go but just here and there when I can tolerate it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zvim posted:

It is pretty easy even on level, they have made it much quicker, i rebuilt everything for shits and giggles and maxed out all the reps on the character I was playing. It was probably easier for me at the time because I only played a couple of hours a day. The daily quests are still annoying though, some a lot more than others.

I'm doing it on my level 100 mainly because I don't want to actually go through all of East Rohan again on another character to collect the preliminary rep. The last few bits are bad enough as they are. That said the quests aren't awful. They can be somewhat interesting, though there are some that can go gently caress themselves. Took me far too long to honor the 3 Rohirrim tombs. The other perk of being 100 is that none of enemies attack me in the public instances so I can search for things in peace.

That said what's the best way/where are the best hubs to pop an XP booster to get myself out of East Rohan and into Wildermore. I'm at lvl 79 and I think I need a minimum of 82 or something to hit Wildermore right? Also is all of the Harwick chain necessary to progress into other areas?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I looked for one and found one. I'm surprised it suggests just grinding killing mobs instead of doing quests. Claims that with boosts going from 1 to 85 takes <85 hours and without thereabouts 120 hours. Pretty surprising. Probably won't do it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ruffz posted:

Ugh yes. Don't use a powerleveling guide unless you want to burn out. Back in the vanilla version of the game, there used to be gaps in leveling where you'd almost HAVE to grind if you couldn't find a group to do fellowship quests. Grinding was horrible. In LOTRO, the fun is in the journey to the level cap. Take your time, stop and smoke some pipeweed at the scenic locations. Trust me, it's a lot more fun that way. This game is still beautiful after 8 years. If you're not a LOTR or Tolkien fan and don't care about the story or environments, I don't really know why you'd play this game.

Oh I'm not. I just wanted to find a nice quest hub where I could pop a booster to maximize usefulness but I really don't care that much.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh cool. I'll head there as soon as I can. It's on my LM that I don't really want to level to max after realizing I'm dead awful at it. On the one hand it's a pity to have it so close to level 100, but I would never want to group with him because I have no idea what to do as a LM. I abused and continue to abuse the pet's waaaaay too much, to the point that I am wholly incompetent with the class.

On the bright side I've regained interest in my runekeeper who I'll take through to at least the Misty Mountains if not higher. Also on a whim I rolled a guardian and though I'm only in the intro area it seems pretty fun. I'm torn between re-reading all the quest text again or blasting through it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah this is the one place where texts matters and it's why I'm cautious when questing with others since I've run into people who become impatient with me while I read quest text. Since I took the shire as my starter area (best area) I want to read it because it's so well-done. I am blasting through the Rohan stuff though because Rohan can go burn in a ditch. This game made me really hate Rohan, which sucks because so rarely is the Anglo-Saxon heritage of English culture represented in media.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Playing this gave me a LOTR itch so I re-read the trillogy over the past week. I'm absolutely blown away by how faithful a lot of the poo poo in the game is to the descriptions in the books. Whoever designed the environments etc. really had a major love for Tolkien's work. I think the only real "error" I've found so far (through early Moria) is that the bottom floor of the Prancing Pony isn't half-sunk into the hillside, and that's about as nitpicky as you can get.

I know right? I'm going to read Children of Hurin as my next book.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

extra stout posted:

It's got to be the most underrated book of his, it's the exact opposite of The Silmarillion which is the one all his fans mention but never actually finished reading because it's not linear, not exciting sometimes for 30 pages, etc. Only downside to it I can even think of is that by closely following a small amount of characters and being really mature for his work, it'll never get a video game or a movie. Maybe a movie if Hollywood has a 20 year slump and they need some Tolkien magic.

I really really really like the Silmarillion. I think what worries me is that since I know the story having read the earlier versions in the Sil I'm hoping it isn't too similar since it's been only a year since I last re-read it.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Clear every warband you can and then turn them all in at once after using a booster during a big quest turn in. Boosting a dozen or so warband turn-ins can be a lot of extra XP. When Helm's Deep came out I did that and pretty much gained a full level instantly. Also did it in west gondor because there is/was a lull you can run in to otherwise IIRC. either way, if you're using boosters there's no reason not to go kill all the warbands first unless you actively avoid them and the fairly easy XP they give (except the mounted ones who can't be dismounted, gently caress those warbands).

I like this idea. I can be around pretty much all day tomorrow if any level 100's want to help me clear out some of the harder warbands in the area since I am again a pathetically bad loremaster. If you do want to do so just give me the time + timezone you intend to be around and I'll log on then. Most times after 9 pm eastern are gonna be tough for me but I'll try.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 7, 2015

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

flowinprose posted:

Race really doesn't matter much at all, because the bonuses and abilities are all really really minor effects on the game. The classes do have race restrictions, so the class you pick will determine your race more than anything.

For a solo run it really doesn't matter what you pick, all the classes are completely viable solo. If you don't like to have to micromanage much, then I would avoid warden as they are probably the most complicated to play. If you like versatility, then Lore-Master or Burglar are probably the best two in that category. If you like never ever dying unless you are pretty much trying to, then guardian would be a good choice (or the Warden or Beorning, but I haven't played Beorning so I can't comment much). The slowest leveling classes for solo play are probably guardian and captain, but this is not a game where leveling speed should really be a big focus, especially for a new player. The journey to max level is the most enjoyable thing in this game in my opinion, so there's no reason to rush it. The most "convenient" classes for solo play are probably Hunter or Warden simply for the fact that they get fast-travel skills to almost every major city in the game. If you like to crank out big damage numbers on lots of targets, then Champion is your best bet. If you like to crank out even bigger damage numbers on single targets, then Hunter or Rune-Keeper are great. If you like to be sneaky, then Burglars are the stealthy class.

So take your pick.

My personal favorite class is the Lore-Master.

This should go in the OP very concise in a way I could never be.

But yeah Hobbits are the coolest race. That said, I do recommend, no matter what race you choose, to go to the shire to do your starter area because it is by far the best developed and most charming. That said the quests are usually dumb hobbit chores but I find that endearing. Breeland is more on the medieval human side of things while Ered Luin can be more stock fantasy stuff.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of when does one enter the code in the new store? I don't want to accidentally buy something considering how limited my TP is.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh cool. I just finished Hytbold today. That was... anticlimatic. I can now move on with this but I don't think I have enough TP to purchase it. I'm shy about 300 points probably. No rush.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Litany Unheard posted:

I would like to join the Nazgun but you level 100 poopsockers keep weird hours. Managed to find Grimhesric but he swears he doesn't have the authority to invite people.

Any officers gonna be on tonight around 6-8 PDT?

How early can you be on tonight? I stick around to a bit after 2 am GMT +1 so that's... in about 2 hours, but I'd rather go to bed earlier.

Also what's your name?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Logging in now then.

edit: gently caress forgot there was an update. This may be a bit.

update: yeah sorry this isn't going to happen tonight.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 28, 2015

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bombhand posted:

I'll save you, buddy. I'm just downloading the update but when it's done I'll log in and if you're still around I'll invite you.
I think all of the temporary content is doable at beginner levels, and I agree that it's very nice and a welcoming thing to new players. IIRC, the festival quests generally grant a "level-appropriate" amount of XP no matter what level you are, too.

Yeah I remember when I cared about festivals and would amass a lot of tokens I'd end up leveling A LOT.

Litany Unheard posted:

:wotwot:

If anyone is a weirdo like me and has to do EVERY QUEST, my main is currently level 33 and dicking around in the Lone Lands. I play sporadically evenings and weekends. Help me kill things. I'm only a little bad at this game, promise.

Oh I'm like that! I either have a guardian at 13 I could raise to take through there OR a RK at 26 that's much closer. Or a warden (who I have NO idea how to play) at 29, he was a farmer. But then I remembered I hate farming.

Anyway if I ever get close we can maybe meet up. I don't have enough TP to buy the new region yet so that was what Alts were made for.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Litany Unheard posted:

I'm logged in and idle right now. Doing some other stuff, but I'll be around my computer.

Character is named Edheladan.

Did you ever join? I finally got this stupid thing running. I'll add you to my friends list worst comes to worst.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pity I'll be working. Yet, I finally have enough TP for the new region. I'm kinda into playing my alts and getting TP though. Is it worth waiting for a sale or after the server to be able to do the quests with people or should I just jump into it?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm Foxjo normally. But yeah. I guess I'll pick it up once slayer deeds lose their charm. It's always nice to make progress.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think I just slightly burnt out. I had a good stretch that took me through East Gondor, Wildermore (on an alt), and bringing a guardian up to level 17. I did some deeding and have enough TP to get Anorien. And I don't feel like moving on. I was actually really enjoying the guardian until I realized all the VIP perks I had on the others weren't applying to her and now it's soured my experience a bit. The fast travel I can do without, but I didn't think you had to unlock the individual traits in the trees using TP. I'm really not sure how much more I'm going to advance on that one.

Wildermore is a really good region though. I'm sure to come back probably in a couple of weeks, but a bit of a break will be refreshing I feel.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oxphocker posted:

:siren: Transfer Update :siren:

Just to give people an update, I have been watching the transfer page about every three days. Today silverlode actually appears as a selectable server, but there are no options to transfer to yet except bullroarer. As soon as Landroval comes up, we can start the transfer or barring that as not an option Gladden as goons decided on many pages ago.

This may have been answered. But when you transfer is it your account or is it done on a character by character basis? Like do I need to individually transfer each of my alts?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I just restarted this game on a whim and I haven't played it since like 2010 (before it went f2p). It sounds like goons are going to be moving to landroval or whatever, so I may as well move my characters there right? They are currently on Brandywine.

Also, I have a level 40 or so Warden and I have no clue what the heck I'm doing.

Yeah cause they're freaking confusing. I have a warden that I dropped at 30 or so and I have no will to re-learn it at all. I remember it being a really fun class though, once I knew what I was getting into.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

xZAOx posted:

Many of us are waiting for the server merge to be complete. I'm up to date on content except for the latest patch, figured that would give me a lot of fun to do once the servers are finished.

Same. I'm just catching up on deeds in the meantime and tooling about with a low level guardian.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

extra stout posted:

I don't know if this is a bug or just an unwritten bonus but I just realized last night I definitely get double the turbine points from slayer deeds when using a slayer deed scroll that doubles how many kills count towards each deed.

Sounds like a bug. I should use one to see if it's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fain80 posted:

My characters were on Landroval but I stopped playing shortly after Mines of Moria. I'm not sure j have the strength to grind out all those levels for the new content!

Seriously don't think of it as grinding. Put it to yourself to do some quest areas fully and just go about doing some quests every now and then. The game's fairly well-written and the story is enough of a pull to want to keep going. Mirkwood is pretty engaging but you can just as well go through Great River, which is also interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of Rohan but if you've never done it it's fun enough to go through at least once. Gondor's great though and there's no trouble leveling up through there.