Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

desudrive posted:

Very active. I'm not sure if there's a goon kinship but there are plenty of people in world chat and questing even in the mid-range.

There's usually someone on Nazgun (I'm on most nights and usually 2-3 others) but we're mostly antisocial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

Oh, kickass. I hope that means Forochel and Angmar are less soul-crushing than they used to be.

Nope, neither of those zones ever got revamped. Go directly to Eregion, do not pass go, do not collect 200 LOTRO points. The gap between Evendim and Eregion is currently the most painful in the game - your best bet is Misty Mountains, a bit of Forochel, and popping XP potions to get to 48 when you can start Eregion.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Glass of Milk posted:

Can you still buy that pack? I don't see it on Steam anymore.

Looks like it got taken off Steam entirely (it used to show up in my DLC list for the game). g2a is selling it for $4.39 but no guarantees on it actually still working!

https://www.g2a.com/en-us/the-lord-of-the-rings-online-steely-dawn-starter-pack-key-steam-global-i10000043399003

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
hey hey i'm the patch notes

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?663861-Bullroarer-Update-22-2-Release-Notes

Champions getting buffed
Blue-line hunters and loremasters getting nerfed (barrage got hit with the nerf stick hard)
Big changes to relics

https://twitter.com/BrandywineFred/status/994326254043230210

(i dunno, hunters and loremasters were pretty overpowered, at least up to Mordor)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 10, 2018

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I'm back in and playing a minstrel and uh

YAAAH! <dead orc>
YAAAH! <dead orc>
YAAAH! <dead orc>

they're a bit overpowered at low levels

Thank god you can filter out the screaming now. (I left in the one battle cry where it sounds like my high elf is calling down the wrath of Elbereth Githoniel or something)

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

How do you filter out the screaming? I ask because dwarfs make that stupid WOOAAAHHHH shout over and over again which is why I rarely play them.

Alt-R, then record while screaming and drag the sound that is labelled player_shout or player_scream or something (it's pretty obvious) to the filter list. Will take a few times since there's 4 or 5 screams.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Raising the level cap should make Mordor considerably easier. (and you'll probably still be able to hit lvl 120 in Gondor easily)

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
New progression server announced

https://www.lotro.com/en/legendary

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I'm tempted to hop in for the progression server but it's VIP only - I generally prefer to buy new update content once rather than have a sub left running for months when I'm not on. Plus, ugh, 40-50 is the worst part of LOTRO.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
going VIP for a month on a character is worth it for the virtue and talent unlocks, but other than that I like the freedom of just throwing SSG a few bucks when I want to unlock a quest pack and not stressing about Yet Another MMO Subscription.

if I ever grouped in LOTRO the thought of the progression server always having groups might appeal, but eh.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1059491479163408384

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
i'm skipping it, i'm levelling up on Landroval instead and enjoying having everything to myself

also at some point this past few months did they programatically add foliage to scenes? because playing through trollshaws was fun when there was so much undergrowth in spots you literally couldn't see quest npcs

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Playing a warden is very much a unique MMO experience, you have to develop muscle memory like in a fighting game to play it effectively because of the combo system (gambits). If you do you pretty much have to commit to it, if you switch between alts you can forget the warden gambits pretty quickly.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
don't think it uses any anti-cheat, and there's plugins that will guide you through gambits, but either way you still need to remember which one to trigger regardless

lore-masters are easy-mode up to Mordor when levelling (the pets are overpowered) and always wanted in groups

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

puberty worked me over posted:

Good to know, a bit curious how only lore masters get non combat pets in LoTRO.

captains and runekeepers also get combat pets. (and anyone can get one with skirmish NPCs)

lore masters are the only class that gets *good* pets

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I lied, I'm doing Captain on the LEGENDARRRRY SERRRVERRRR

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
if someone has a kinship up please post so we can joke while smiting flies and wolves

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
also with the new server up I was able to log in with no queue

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
new server is definitely hard mode, well at least as much hard mode as lotro levelling is.

not only the 40% penalty (which is pretty hefty, even with the 25% xp stones most people have at this point) but just how with everyone at your level band, suddenly quests are actually difficult to complete. yes, people were camping dora brownlock's chickens in the shire. Welcome back to 2005 MMO gameplay!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
going to reroll as burglar because captains definitely did not impress me at level 5 and we all know that's where you get the best read on a class!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

sassassin posted:

I got through lone lands on a fresh guardian so maybe I do care enough to make subbing for the legendary server worth it...

Of course the real test is getting through the misty mountains without dying of boredom.

I burned an XP pot on my char on Landroval to get past the low 40s - once you get to 42-43 there's stuff in High Pass/Goblin Town to get you to Forochel

Of course the XP debuff on the legendary servers will make that 40-50 stretch so much worse.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

CobiWann posted:

Oh hell, I came into the game late and solo'd all the way to Rohan before just dying of boredom...

1 - Are Captains viable to solo on the legendary server?

2 - How far does the legendary story go, all the way to Chapter 14? And can you still solo certain chapters if you can't get a group?

everything's viable to solo with, captains aren't the fastest or most efficient though (that would probably be hunter or loremaster but opinions vary)

everything in the legendary story can be soloed. it extends well past the actual Lord of the Rings Story into the current release (it switches to "The Black Book Of Mordor" when Mordor begins), you will need to have purchased Helms Deep to finish past that point and the Mordor expansion when that part begins

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Epic_Quests

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 20, 2018

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

CobiWann posted:

How far does the epic story go on the Legendary Servers then? Just to the end of Volume I, Book XV where you take on Mordrambor? Which would mean the Legendary Server has Forochel and Eregion patched in?

I haven't been playing on Legendary Server but it has the current versions of those scenes so you should be able to do the whole of Volume I (it was finished the patch before Moria came out, which is the cut off for Legendary currently)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 20, 2018

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
An ongoing tale

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1103064802933526529

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1103333182794067968

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1103454716095287301

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1103673476085415937

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1103774841537208323

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1103874571654983680

https://twitter.com/lotro/status/1104065855216852997

this is the dictionary definition of Not Good.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
PlayStation Network was down for 22 days once!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

extra stout posted:

He who lives in glass houses should not attempt owns

Har-de-har. On an entirely unrelated note, servers are back up, along with downtime compensation plans.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?671702-LOTRO-Post-Downtime-Events-Sales-Bonuses-and-FAQ-3-9-19

quote:

All players will receive:

A Coupon Code for a free Appreciation Box containing: 5 100% XP Boosts, 5 Enhanced XP Supply, 5 Tomes of Defence, 2000 Figments of Splendour, 3 Rapid Crafting Boosts, and an assortment of seasonal dyes. (1/Account). Expiration end of April.

Additionally, VIP players will receive:

A VIP subscription time extension.
250 LOTRO Points automatically granted to their account if they have logged in during the previous 30 days.

Premium players who have logged in during the previous 30 days will receive:

250 LOTRO Points

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

bagrada posted:

Moria unlocks on the legendary servers tomorrow, March 14th. How bad is the bottleneck going to be? I played through out to Lothlorien for the first time last summer and some of the early quests took forever with just me and an empty zone.

I just played through Moria last month on a character with half an eye for that. There's a few places that'll pile up due to limited goblin spawns, I expect, but nothing super out of the ordinary, about the same as the newbie zones when the server first came out. I'm fairly certain the entire intro is instanced so you can at least get a legendary day 1 with no issues.

I'm sitting this out mainly because I am pretty done with Moria and groups in general and am just going to dork around Dunland and admire the scenery while all the NPCs keep spitting pseudo-Welsh at me.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
just in time for my new champ to power right the gently caress past rohan!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Helms Deep is absolutely 100% the worst content in LOTRO

- mounted combat which you randomly have to go through or don't, just guess which is which!
- weird single-player storyline instances which have a harder difficulty curve than current Mordor thanks to AI creatures ignoring the 12 other friendly NPCs with you and converging on you instantly, every single time (it doesn't help that quite a few have attack procs that haven't been looked at in years and are probably literally broken - one type of mob, "Uruk-hai Warrior", has a fire proc that will slice about 1000 HP a tick (my health at the time was around 2800 HP); the only way to survive fighting them is to burn a self-cure as soon as it hits. hope you have one of those! those are trash mobs btw)
- when you fail those instances you invariably are thrown back to a respawn point halfway across Rohan, have to spend the next 20 minutes dodging pointless overland mounted combat mobs, and go through the unskippable 15-20 minutes of NPCs jabbering at each other before you suddenly face the same monsters who immediately piledrive into you and kill you while Eowyn and her host of riders look on uncomprehendingly
- xp advancement is uneven, on regular servers you need to burn XP potions to keep up with just doing content because they assume everyone is grinding dailies that are now completely pointless, good luck on Legendary servers with the XP debuff
- hey maybe you're thinking you should just outlevel those craptastic instances and skip them like you can everywhere else in the game? lol no, everything is gated in one long sequence and just to add insult to injury class trait points are awarded at the end so you pretty much have to (or pay $100 to skip it and then just go play The Fun Content, aka Gondor, while wildly overlevelled)
- the story itself is rote and depressing. "Rohan - the parts that didn't get to ride off with Theoden. Enjoy!" Everyone either moans about how helpless and weak they are, or wish they could go off with the main characters, are being actively betrayed by incredibly obvious spies of Saruman, or some witty combination thereof. The only good part is half the time the quest hub ends with orcs coming and burning it all down, by which time you think Saruman has some good ideas
- i haven't even mentioned big battles yet

Riders of Rohan/Helms Deep is ABSOLUTELY when the Legendary servers will depopulate

(source: just guess what i've been banging my head into repeatedly)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 8, 2019

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Fried Sushi posted:

What sucks is even if you use an Aria you need to run through the Book quests and Epic Battles anyway to get trait points, be nice if they removed them from quests and just gave them at certain levels or just added them all to the Aria at some point.

they're all in the Aria now, I think since Mordor came out, and if you used an Aria before then you can talk to the NPC and get the trait points, I seem to remember

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
class trainer, actually

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?660555-Update-21-3-1-Release-Notes

it's not complete though, there are some quest lines (including some of the most horrible ones in Helms Deep)

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Aria_of_the_Valar_(Details)#Recommended_activities_after_activation

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Burglar revamp up on Bullroarer. No sign of 64-bit client yet.

quote:

Burglar:
The basic goal is to increase the Burglar's general DPS, fix some general structural issues with their skills, improve their group survivability, and streamline their play a bit.
Damage on MOST skills has been increased and shuffled about in an attempt to put more skills in the usable range of DPS.
Heals have likewise been re-balanced.
All melee skills have had their range increased to a minimum of 3.5
Most of the burglar's skills had the 'Fast' trait removed - but this only really had an effect when the prior skill had an execution time longer than it's animation time, and I fixed most of those to be the same, so in practice it shouldn't actually make much difference.
Subtle Stab is still 'Fast' so you can pretty easily test to see which skills are/aren't shortened by throwing a fast skill in there and can provide feedback on the change.
Double Edged Strike is now an immediate skill, so you can instantly roll into your crit chain the moment you land one.
Find Footing is now Instant.
Provoke now has a 15m range and an 6s cooldown.
Provoke provides a 20% crit chance bonus on your next attack - a lesser 'aim' effect.
Provoke provides a stacking (x3) self buff that halves the damage of the next attack against you. This is intended as a group play defense to help burglars build up a buffer against those large boss attacks. It's useful in solo, but nearly as much so as it is impossible to build a stack when you are the main target of attacks.
Provoke no longer penalizes your party's crit chance against the target by 2% (which is what it's actually been doing for a very long time...)
Mischevious Glee now heals for 10%, +2% per pulse
Self Adulation trait now adds 20% to Clever Retort healing, and +5 pulses to Mischevious Glee.
Both Double Edged Strike and Flashing Blades are now AoE skills (3 targets), to give burglars better DPS in group pulls, esp red line.
Coup De Gras no longer has a critical magnitude bonus, but does better base damage. Its cooldown has been reduced [60->30s]
Feint now allows you to trigger more stealth effects and bonuses of other skills, though it still does not provide true stealth's melee damage bonus.
Knives Out was changed substantially. In addition to its usual effects, it now has a small radius Force Taunt that lasts for the duration of the effect, followed by an agro dump that substantially reduces the burglar's agro in a similar radius.
Cunning strike bleeds were cleaned up. They are now short duration non-stacking bleeds that apply at 4 different magnitudes, depending on how hard you crit, +1 from stealth.
You can now have one gamble of each type on a target simultaneously (Red = DoT, Green = reactive heal, Blue = offensive debuff).
The skills Gambler's Strike, Hedge Your Bet, and Blind Bet now apply each of these gambles respectively.
A blue line burglar stealth surprise attack can apply a completely random gamble.
Gambles can no longer be tiered up or down - they simply roll a new 1-6 value when re-applied.
Gambles now last a base 30 seconds (blue is currently 20 seconds).
Cash Out eats all gambles on the target, granting a high magnitude damage effect, a self-HoT, and a Stun respectively.
In the future the goal is for the Magnitude of each these Cash Out effects to be based on the total value of the Gamble Dice on the target when it cashes out - this is currently waiting on a bit of tech, so the current cash-out effects can be considered placeholders.
Cash Out's cooldown is now base 40 seconds.
Note that gambles are NOT per burlgar, they are per target, so competing burglars will overrite or consume each other's gambles.
Gamble Icons revamped.
Knives Out now mitigates all forms of incoming damage.
Subtle Stab cooldown reduced to [3->2.5s]
Gamble Chance mods changed to Gamble Damage mods.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?672282-Bullroarer-Update-23-5-Preview-1-Release-Notes

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
First version of U24 is up on Bullroarer and yes, with the new 64bit client.

quote:

Update 24 brings you to the Vales of Anduin, where the Great River courses down through Wilderland to the shores of Lothlórien. Help the Woodmen defend their lands from the goblins and wargs of the Misty Mountains. Delve into the region’s fabled past, when it was home to Dwarves, Elves, and the ancestors of the hobbits and Rohirrim. Seek the aid of the Beornings and Great Eagles – as well as a certain Brown Wizard of some repute. But beware: foul things still roam the woods and marshes, some drawn by the legacy of the One Ring, which lay long hidden near the Anduin’s banks. Update 24 is Free to VIP players and Lifetime Subscribers, and available in the LOTRO Store.

Today's Bullroarer preview includes our first public look at the 64-Bit game client we are working on. You can choose which client you wish to run in the launcher settings.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?672612-Bullroarer-Update-24-Preview-1-Release-Notes

quote:

- I managed to get the client up to 3.9 GB of RAM usage porting back and forth between Minas Tirith, Dale, Udun, Bree, and other places. No crashes!! Yay!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
this article made me want to planeshift to the Event Horizon and then return with my eyes artistically arranged on a plate so they would never, ever betray me again

https://massivelyop.com/2019/07/16/the-soapbox-hoping-for-amazon-to-succeed-where-lord-of-the-rings-online-failed/

quote:

Lord of the Rings is the closest thing I have to a religion.

Meanwhile, I’ve been in love with the idea of virtual worlds — if not always the reality — ever since I first set digital foot in World of Warcraft a little over 10 years ago.

You would think, then, a Lord of the Rings MMO would be absolute paradise for me. But for me, Lord of the Rings Online is nothing but a disappointment.

quote:

When I watch those movies, I feel like I’ve stepped directly into Middle-earth. When I play Lord of the Rings Online, I feel like I’m playing a low-budget WoW clone from 10 years ago.

quote:

Firstly, I think some kind of action combat system is a must. Putting aside the fact that’s where the market is trending generally, I think this is a setting where combat needs to feel exciting and dangerous. Standing in one spot and rehearsing your rotation against mobs that barely fight back isn’t that.

Fully voiced story is also non-negotiable. I love reading books, but making players grind the action to a halt to read a bunch of quest text is not making use of the full potential of the medium.

It should be open world, not some heavily instanced dungeon grinder like Neverwinter. This is a world people want to explore in all its vast glory.

so basically this guy is really mad LotRO isn't Shadow of Moria and a fully voiced Hot Shelob wasn't welcoming him to NuGondor.

quote:

For all my harping about LOTRO being “WoW with a Middle-earth skin,” my vision for a perfect Lord of the Rings MMO is pretty much “The Secret World with a Middle-earth skin.”

or worse, i guess

anyway, yeah, eyes, plate

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Arguably level boosts are horrible for new players anyway since skipping the 1-120 content is skipping 98% of the game.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Hello Sailor posted:

Stuff you keep after your subscription ends are per-character unlocks like trait & legendary slots that really aren't going to matter much if you just play a few characters to 30 or so to try the game out. I think it might also unlock fast travel locations without having to visit them first.

things that get unlocked with a 1 month VIP for all characters, forever (most of this also happens if you ever buy any points):
- "premium" account status
- all 5 inventory bags
- no more cap on gold
- ability to mail characters gold/items
- more character slots

things that get unlocked with a 1 month VIP for any character logged in during that month:
- all virtue slots
- all class trait slots
- ability to fast travel at stables
- ability to advance in crafting guild

things that get unlocked while VIP that you lose when VIP expires:
- access to all zones not otherwise gated by expansions (North Downs, Lothlorien, Great River, etc)
- 500 points/month grant
- rested XP
- ability to spend destiny points
- PvMP (for the 3 people that still play that)
- ability to list more than 5 items on AH

If you're going to level a new character, it's almost always worth it to spring for 1 month VIP; for $15 you get rest XP for lower levels, don't have to pay for unlocking things on your character or blowing a mithril token every time you want to go somewhere, and don't have to worry about unlocking quest packs. Getting into Moria by the end of that month is very doable (I started a new mordor-dorf when the expansion pack came out and am already over level 30)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 11, 2019

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Haven't played in a while so I started a new character to maybe seriously see the game past level 50. What's a good way to stay geared as I level? I used to have a bunch of crafting alts make things as necessary but that got a little tedious before long. I'll do it again if that's the optimal way but I'm curious of other possible options.

You may have a ton of skirmish points from your last character (they're account-based), if you do you can buy gear pretty cheap from skirmish camps once you hit 20. (Before that just use quest drops)

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

SettingSun posted:

I’ve always meant to ask this but what’s the key to smooth leveling? I’m premium if that matters.

Do the Epic, pick up any side quests along the way that are within 4 levels of your current level. Don’t worry about gear. You’ll be overlevelled for everything and it will be fairly easy.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Rookersh posted:

I've been wanting to play this for awhile, only really for the story stuff. Is it worth it? I'm a huge mark for Angmar stuff, but find stuff tied to the Fellowship tends to be pretty repetitive. Basically I like it when stuff fleshes out the world more, hate it when it's just "and here's where Bilbo met that dwarf. You can also meet the dwarf!".

"Story stuff" is really the best part of/the reason to play this game. You essentially take a path parallel to the Fellowship through Middle Earth and take part in some of the key parts of the storyline (battle of Helm's Deep, battle of the Pelennor Fields, etc.) although you do see some fellowship events in a kind of 'flashback' (the Boromir one is straight-up hilarious). Around the time you enter Mordor the timeline moves beyond the books and gets somewhat weaker I think, but it's still much better than "Collect Twelve Bear Asses".

Rookersh posted:

On that note, how long is the game if I just focus the story stuff. For reference it took me about 3-6 months to do all the content in ESO, which is a hell of a lot of content. I'm able to usually finish a WoW Classic, or Rift sized MMO in around 2-3 months.

Probably about 6 months or longer (most people it would take around a year). There's a LOT of content.

Rookersh posted:

And the weirdest question, how are the devs doing. It sounds like they want to keep the game running for basically ever, but they are also attached to Daybreak. Is it a "if Daybreak goes under we keep trucking" kind of situation, or are they super tied to Daybreak. Because boy howdy Daybreak has been on fire for the 4 years it's existed.

They seem to be doing OK. The Daybreak connection is only as a service provider so they would keep going if Daybreak got foreclosed by the Russians or something.

Honestly the only things I'd warn about for anyone trying the game - you'll want to subscribe for a month as it's the most cost effective way to unlock various things on your character, and around level 100 you get introduced to the most stupid and punishing grind in the game (imbued legendary weapons).

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

quote:

it'd still mean after nearly 13 years the game has enough purely great content to hit the max level without ever touching the areas you didn't love.

No way to skip Rohan unless you pay to, and that's some of the most godawful content in the game (I'd rather do Angmar than some of those stupid mounted-combat-required quests again)

quote:

If they properly addressed the confusion and grind involved in people playing again after taking 3 or 5 years off, it wouldn't surprise me to see the servers all fill to the brim again.

At this point I think it's flat out mandatory for them to fix legendary weapons post-100. Otherwise casual players will hit a big solid brick wall in Mordor and quit, because unless you spend hours grinding crystals to level up your legendary (or pay an insane amount of $$$) you simply can't finish those zones; your DPS will be crippled no matter what class you play.

Of course, it looks like their current answer is "pay $65 for a Valar boost that gives you mostly levelled legendaries" which... is not a really good answer!

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 21, 2020