Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Mr E posted:

I'm just playing through the story right now, have played a little before now but want to actually make it into the higher levels this time. I just love how chill this game is and the last few patches fixed most of my little issues with it. I went ahead and bought Before the Shadow and am following along the tutorial it gives you, I just got past the prologue and am doing sidequests as I go. I got Bingo's letter and want to check out that too. Do I need to worry about following a specific build or anything as a burglar if I'm playing solo? I'm planning on going with the red talent tree.

You don't need to stress about builds unless you start raiding at level cap. You will vaporize most things out in the world as you get more skills. You can also respec your skills whenever you want for a trivial amount of coin so feel free to experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe buy a month of premium just to unlock stuff like riding and the extra inventory bags, and buy the premium wallet if they're having fun since it's extremely convenient.

Everyone gets the premium wallet now as of last year (U32).

quote:

The benefits of the Premium Wallet Upgrade have now been applied to all accounts. The widest possible assortment of barter currencies, including a variety of instance tokens, region barter tokens, festival tokens, taxidermy barter items, and crafting instance tokens, will now automatically go into the barter wallet for all characters on all accounts.

OhFunny posted:

Riding is free now and gets given from one of the tutorial quests that introduces you to the LOTRO Store as of Patch 34.

I'd still recommend a month of premium just to unlock fast travel. It's a pain getting around otherwise and Premium is the only way to unlock it outside of one-shot store purchases/mithril coins.

My recommended store purchases and why: (1LP = $0.01, roughly)

--- for everyone ---

All the milestone cooldown timers 990 LP
(Hurried Traveller and Expedient Traveller are the skills you want. Makes you able to recall to a bind point every 5 minutes instead of every 60. You want this.)

--- for everyone not a warden or a hunter --

1 or 2 extra milestone bind points 350 LP each
(combined with the above, you can cut travel time down significantly, which really helps with epic quests that send you back to Rivendell every 5 minutes to check in with your good buddy Elrond Halfelven. Wardens and Hunters get travel skills to most major cities so don't really need this. You can also pick up "Guide To" skills at quest hubs, but usually have to max out reputation there first.)

--- if you do crafting (right now it's kind of pointless since you don't need to make LIs and endgame tiers are really bad, a revamp just got promised) ---

Universal Toolkit (bound to account) 150 LP
(pretty much required as individual crafting tools are a pain in the butt and you get a crit bonus with this. Don't get the Enduring version, it's 300LP more and the only difference is you harvest stuff 3 seconds faster)
Large Crafting Carryall (bound to account) 1995 LP
(yes, it's expensive but it gives you 50 more inventory slots for crafting mats and you can swap it between characters)

--- if you're impatient and have money to blow ---

Journeyman Riding (account-wide) 2995 LP
(yes, it's expensive, but you only need to buy it once, forever, and all your horses go as fast as possible.)

Really don't need anything else unless you have a house and want to fill it up with junk (ask me about my house with every crafting station and a complete set of Bingo's maps). Maybe some mithril coins to zap to complete quests or something. LOTRO's done really well this past year in removing most of the annoying things that "suggested" store purchases to remove them. You can play for almost free for years now and not miss a thing.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 22, 2023

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
New class changes going on test server.

https://forums.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?698157-Developer-s-Diary-%E2%80%93-Captain-Updates-by-OnnMacMahal&p=8173998&posted=1

https://forums.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?698160-Developer-s-Diary-%E2%80%93-Warden-Updates-from-OnnMacMahal&p=8173990

quote:

Warden:

Assailment is becoming a neutral tree, like Brawler & Minstrel's yellow trees.
Gambit Chains are being reworked to require ANY 2, then ANY 3, then ANY 4/5 length gambit. Each one will have increased strength as you move up the chain.
Gambit Chains provide 'Advanced Techniques' a new effect that is used for upcoming NON-gambit based skills that consume advanced techniques
Effect Bloat is being looked at/changed. The 8-million effects that Wardens put on themselves are being consolidated, buffed, or outright removed. This will remove the large amount of effect bloat
As Sev & Orion have stated in previous q&a sessions, Effects are one of the big culprits for server/client lag, especially as it relates to group content. This is a hidden buff for everyone, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more of this during the 2023 class touches.
Blue wardens are getting CD 'OH CRAP' skills like other tanks, they are related to the 'advanced techniques' mentioned earlier.
Red wardens are getting some more 'instant damage' options, to help with lower morale mobs that they don't have time to stack DoTs on.
Red wardens will also benefit from being able to grab a lot more from Assailment without spending all of their trait points.

Captain:

Captains are getting a moderate damage buff across the board.
Red-line Captains will be getting a "solo stance" that gives them solid dps, but nerfs their group support abilities. This will be largely for solo play as well as possible 3 mans. But in 6+, your ability to buff up your team will likely be more important.
Blue-Line Captains are getting more active healing, increases for their shield-brother, but are losing (decreasing) some of their HoT capabilities to help balance out and allow better reaction to spikes in damage
Yellow-Line is in the best spot of the three and is largely getting QoL improvements, including more ways to move through Battle readied/hardened and making the rotation feel less like filler and more consequential. our team will likely be more important. aches.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
As a rule anything can solo landscape because landscape is so easy these days once you get legendaries.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Glass of Milk posted:

I really really hate the rigamarole it is to get to Rivendell to get new LI stuff- I get that they're keeping it as a perk for subscribers, but it seems needlessly complex to get there otherwise. I know there's a scroll there, but the cap on ancient script makes every point more valuable than they need to be.

unlocking fast travel on a character really is a requirement, for that reason among others. you don't need to be an active subscriber, just have the character log in once while subscribed and it's good forever.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The first part of the game (the original game on release and the first few expansions) tried to keep you somewhat apart from the Fellowship if at least in a parallel time, but by the time you're in Rohan and especially Gondor you're very much a part of the book's narrative, fighting in the major battles of the series and so on.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

parara posted:

What's the first quest for this line called? I'll keep an eye out for it!

Epic Quest Vol. II, Book 1, Chapter 1: Strangers in Hollin

it's given by the dwarf at the door to moria in eregion, kind of hard to miss

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

unimportantguy posted:

My experience on Landroval so far has been that it's mostly old dudes and cat ladies who don't care about anything and are just there to grind.

as one of those old dudes I just have to say "umm... phrasing"

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Pretty sure the new Gondor revision is prep work for the expansion taking place in Umbar to the immediate south.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
About the only reliable way to get population numbers are externally available metrics like Steam charts (which are by no means complete). MMO companies treat subscriber/player numbers as business secrets.

An Amazon games division executive was fairly smarmy about the whole thing.

https://www.gamesradar.com/amazons-lord-of-the-rings-mmo-dev-on-lotro-the-industry-moves-on/

quote:

When asked if LOTRO affects the potential for Amazon Games' own title, Hartmann responded: "Not at all. First of all, I have a lot of respect for them to keep it going that long." The developer continues, "They have a, not huge, but a very dedicated fanbase. But looking just at the technology, where we're at now, and where we will be in a couple of years, it's just worlds apart."

Hartmann then compares the difference in technology between the two games to the likes of black and white and in color movies: "It's a little exaggeration if I say it's going to be like black and white movies to color, but that's the approach I want to take. It's just a completely different world."

"I think they actually can co-exist," Hartmann adds, "Even the most likely scenario is for people just to move over because the other one is an old game. It's not a bad game, but the industry moves on at some point, and it's a long time from their release to ours."

Given that the only title Amazon's been able to release with some success (Lost Ark) is one developed outside the company, I wouldn't be so smug about it, but that's just me!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Gollum: The Ring Lord

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

OhFunny posted:

The new store design is coming on the 2nd of August.

I only really care about this because they listed the priority/timeline of overhauls on one of the streams as the online store, then a new launcher, two-factor authentication, and finally 4k updates.

So one step closer to that sweet 4k.

OneLauncher already exists and is open source. They really should just branch from that.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
If you're going to come back to LOTRO and replay with a new character, I would *strongly* recommend picking up Before the Shadow for $20. It's a new levelling path for levels 1-30 and the original new player zones haven't been updated in years.

https://www.lotro.com/expansions

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Annath posted:

Is there a way to scale up the whole UI? Everything is pretty small on my 1440p monitor.

Not very well, and that makes playing the game almost impossible in 4K, something like Lossless Scaling is a requirement.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/993090/Lossless_Scaling/

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Mariners are indeed live today.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

fenix down posted:

My immersion is on its last legs over here...

funny i thought brawlers punched your immersion and threw it out a window

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

everwake posted:

Primarily, saving my log-ins and actually working on a 4k monitor are my primary uses for it.

It also patches *much* faster.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
There was a same-sex couple in Before the Shadow as well (in the Lhan Garan quest line).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

What's the state of relic weapons these days? I've got some time to kill between FF14 patches, but I remember the last time I thought about jumping back into this, they had just done a massive overhaul of weapons. I logged in, took one look at the giant mess of a system, and said "gently caress off".

IIRC, you had to go back to Elrond's house to level anything up, which was a kick in the teeth for a game where fast travel is as much of a pain as it is here.

it's a lot simpler now basically. (they're legendaries not relics btw, if you ask about relic weapons in world chat you'll get mostly confused reactions from people who don't play FF14)

you take them to a forge NPC every 5 levels to raise its level which increases its DPS. then you can slot in "traceries" (just like you slot in essences in other gear) that give bonuses to a particular skill or just damage in general. you can buy those traceries from a room in elrond's house or sometimes they will be given as quest rewards or from the reward track. the reward track is where legendary XP is applied now, hit shift-I (I think) to see it and you can get lots of stuff, mostly for your legendary weapons but some other stuff as well like horses and housing gear. you can increase the bonuses you get from traceries by dropping runes on them. they have a cap which means every so often you need to upgrade traceries.

unlike the old legendary weapon system there is zero need to spend money on these to get out of grinding which is a huge improvement.

more details: https://lotro-wiki.com/wiki/Legendary_Item