Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Budget Prefuse posted:

Movie #1: Linda! Linda! Linda! (2005)

Pinda! Pinda! Pinda! (リンダ リンダ リンダ) is a movie about a group of teenagers getting together to play some cool rear end songs. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9kBdIG-NcY) It's a film by Nobuhiro Yamashita who's known for his films about young people feeling lost in life. His movies always invoke a strong sense of melancholia in me. I haven't seen the movie yet either so i'm not gonna write too much here. Just don't expect it to be exactly like K-on!

Its funny how the blue hearts 80s japanese punks were so happy their music is now girl band light music club music. I wonder if anyone ever thought they were hardcore or if the newspapers and cops hated them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Davincie posted:

they were definitely hated by the media and iirc its mentioned in the movie as well

it would be cool if there was any evidence of this

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i think i need an invite

this too

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Miike did a good job of blending real gangster movie with other stuff in ryu ga gotoku. The only thing really on my movie wishlist is watching an entire Torakku Yarou movie or the Sonny Chiba movie where he's a ninja though.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I really liked Linda Linda Linda. The characters were cool, the songs were fun, there was a lot of diversity with long tracking shots, weather and stuff provided atmosphere. The one place it fell apart I think was in coming to a head, the editing leaves a lot of stuff hanging. We have like 3 main characters (kyoko, then son, then kei), none of the little subplots ever get resolved, and we have some scenes that are just kind of there (like when they're practicing after school, on the roof, when the bassist is being cheap at the supermarket). It lacks a defining statement. I guess letting it all hang until they have to put it behind them for the performance could've been a point but even that gets blown off when kei and rinko make up. After teasing us with the band for the whole movie I kinda expected them to play the whole set at the end instead of just one song.

Linda Linda Linda is a slice of life and seems to be a lot like every other movie/drama/anime about high school at first. But instead of the boyless landscape you get in anime like kon there's actually a lot of relationships and intrigue. Instead of the perfect people being perfect you get in dramas kei is actually kind of a bitch to rinko for no reason and her boyfriend's a bum which should reflect poorly on her, shes a bad girl. The cheesy line at the beginning where the nerds are coaching that girl into being dramatic with "this is the last day of our lives after this we have to grow up and be adults" seems like the director taking a jab at other slice of life but for keis friends like the lives-on-the-roof punk girl and her boyfriend and probably her and anyone else who drops out to keep playing music their lives are probably over because japanese society frowns on that kind of nonconformity.

Son's character was cool since they let a non japanese kind of "star" but she doesnt really wander out of not being able to express herself territory with the exception of the one time she thanked kei.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

doomisland posted:

I liked the shot in the beginning as she walked past all the classrooms as well.

The shot where kei gets up from playing guitar on the roof is also a super long take which is crazy.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

In Training posted:

I'm in love with the girl who sits on the roof with a cooler full of juice reading manga all day.

I'm sure takako is in some kind of real band, but she doesn't show up on the japanese credits on yahoo or anywhere :/

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

I really enjoyed this. It was very relaxing and fun. Cosigning the love for roof girl, she had a cool speaking voice. I liked that the movie didn't beat you over the head with the male teacher being encouraging and whatever happened with the teacher from the korean exhibition. A lot of movies would have given both those characters whole subplots probably with cheesy inspirational speeches and drama. It was cool how the movie gave us just enough to go off with the woman working with Son at the exhibit, seeing her linda linda notes and then showing up outside the gymnasium.
I'd like to suggest 2046 because I want to see what some of the more film fluent goons have to say about it.

oh yeah also when that teacher was trying to be chill and be like "I'm cool and you can practice at night" and rinko looks at him like go suck on turds motherfucker and he is confused

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Davincie posted:

here's a clip of her performing in her underwear. she's known for taking of her clothes during shows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRcwAC6pSOk

this is ironic given that shes wearing her jersey pants under her skirt in the middle of summer during the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Budget Prefuse posted:

o yeah...we'll be watching The Bird People in China today ppl. have fun!!

Finally watched this, it was a cool movie. the gangster character is probably the most interesting. the pacing seems a little weird because they want to surprise you with the village, and its not immediately apparent how anyone feels about any of that. Really the characters don't do a whole lot of the storytelling at all. Really well shot, the story has plenty to hook you, i wonder if the book doesn't pace itself better.

• Locked thread