Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Wanamingo posted:

For anybody looking for some quick and (relatively) safe returns, the price of Trump finishing the month at 25% is down to 83 cents each. He's sitting at 26.8% right now, and I'm pretty sure the drop is from people expecting him to do poorly in the debate tonight.

Post-debate polls usually take a while and there's only two business days left this month. That market will be a gamble just like always

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Necc0 posted:

Post-debate polls usually take a while and there's only two business days left this month. That market will be a gamble just like always

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. There's only a single poll up on RCP which has him under 25, so he'd have to take a pretty big hit for it to not pay out. The reason it's cheap right now is because a few people are under the assumption that they'll have some post-debate polls right away.

e:

quote:

Trump's going below 25% after tonight's debate.

quote:

He's going down in the debate, regardless of polls the swing is coming tonight. I'm all in for NO.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Wanamingo posted:

For anybody looking for some quick and (relatively) safe returns, the price of Trump finishing the month at 25% is down to 83 cents each. He's sitting at 26.8% right now, and I'm pretty sure the drop is from people expecting him to do poorly in the debate tonight.

I had been buying at 90 and I think I picked up the last 25 at 83. I agree with you. Not enough time for the debate to affect the polling.

Even weirder, my Bush NO's are down to 93. The same people must think he's going to do good or something. This one is a VERY safe return.

Zeta Taskforce has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Oct 29, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Wanamingo posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. There's only a single poll up on RCP which has him under 25, so he'd have to take a pretty big hit for it to not pay out. The reason it's cheap right now is because a few people are under the assumption that they'll have some post-debate polls right away.

e:

Ah gotcha. Thought you were arguing for the other side.

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I had been buying at 90 and I think I picked up the last 25 at 83. I agree with you. Not enough time for the debate to affect the polling.

Even weirder, my Bush NO's are down to 93. The same people must think he's going to do good or something. This one is a VERY safe return.

The Bush one confuses me. At least Trump dropped in the most recent poll, which moved the market a bit. That same poll gave Bush another 7, which is not what he needs to get to 10%. Yet the market dropped from 96 to 93. Oh well, free money.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I'm not getting in on the debate "win" market, but if I were, I would buy Carson to win at the current rate of 20%. The regular polling attrition/turnover gives him a huge baseline advantage, and 5x your bet might be enough to make up for the inherent weirdness.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rubio's been pretty good so far. I'm regretting my NO shares, but I can't sell right now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Huckabee making GBS threads all over the military good job buddy.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hundreds of goons can't possibly be wrong!!

What do promotional codes for card deposits do? Should I try to find one before putting in money?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Anyone with free cash:

Speaking time
Fiorina: 10:32
Rubio: 10:10
Kasich: 9:42
Trump: 9:26
Christie: 8:31
Huckabee: 7:39
Cruz: 7:34
Carson: 7:02
Bush: 6:39
Paul: 6:15

Fiorina bump imo

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Anyone wanting to play the polls, Cruz winning is almost certainly stupidly over valued right now. The polls propping him up right now are among the next to go and Rubio is far more likely to pick up people jumping ship from Jeb! than Cruz is to pick up people. That 10 and that 9 are some real outliers on his average.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

District Selectman posted:

Agreed. But I also think you're too high on Jeb. High = anything above considering him a wet fart brought to life like a fart Frankenstein monster

Yep, I severely overestimated Jeb

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm real tempted to buy a bunch of JEB! Yes in Next To Drop Out after that debate. However as a registered Democrat that may bet me a big wet kiss from him for cutting my losses.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gyges posted:

I'm real tempted to buy a bunch of JEB! Yes in Next To Drop Out after that debate. However as a registered Democrat that may bet me a big wet kiss from him for cutting my losses.

If you're still only thinking about it, everyone else has already beat you to it.

I'm holding on to everything after tonight. Rubio, Cruz and Christie did the best imo; I have a ton of Rubio and Cruz NO stock and it sucks. Rubio is wayyy out in front compared to everyone else on the market and I probably agree with it.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
You're not the only one, jebs up to 17c and the 3rd likeliest to drop out next according to the markets

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

Unfortunately until they finally do the linking, almost all YES best are overvalued.

That said, the only YES I own is a Jeb! to drop the fuckout first and it feels fantastic

Speakin of which, daddy needs some more, just a little hit, gimme another 100 Jeb YESes baby, mmmm, yeah that's the good stuff

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I think I filled my scorecard with all the right picks on the NO side for both winners and losers from this debate, but I also snagged 400 shares of Fioria YES for winner for 5c which I think is my only oddball bet. My bets on Paul Ryan NO and Debt Limit YES will cancel each other out so I'm excited to watch these numbers go up and down.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

I'm really skeptical that Bush drops out soon. His name recognition keeps him at a few percent no matter how horrible he is, and his money and donor groups will keep him in at least until he loses Iowa and NH.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he;lp do I sell my rubiNOs

This is probably a panic, but Rubio is defnitely at his best position all cycle.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lol Rubio is now over.50, this can't last

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Hope my Paul Ryan Yes shares pay out soon so I can catch the tail end of one of the Oct 31 markets with the proceeds.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Vox Nihili posted:

Hope my Paul Ryan Yes shares pay out soon so I can catch the tail end of one of the Oct 31 markets with the proceeds.

Actually he's Paul D. Ryan now all shares resolve to No by default

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Likewise. PredictIt should open a market on how long it takes for them to actually close a market after the relevant event happens.

With any luck it'll happen before Rand starts his "filibuster" of the debt limit/budget bill later today. Not sure if it'll make the market budge at all, but I'm always game to hoover up some underpriced shares.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Poll market, but Ramussen already has Obama at 50% approval in its latest update. You can currently get Obama YES @ 46% approval or higher for around 70 cents. After the Rass update, it'll go from 45.8 to above. Some small risk, but I like the chances.

e: up to 85% now that the new Rasmussen is in. This is basically a sure thing at this point.

railroad terror has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Oct 29, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

railroad terror posted:

Poll market, but Ramussen already has Obama at 50% approval in its latest update. You can currently get Obama YES @ 46% approval or higher for around 70 cents. After the Rass update, it'll go from 45.8 to above. Some small risk, but I like the chances.

You're fantastic, I was able to snag some shares with my Ryan money before it skyrocketed.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Combed Thunderclap posted:

You're fantastic, I was able to snag some shares with my Ryan money before it skyrocketed.

For those still looking to hop in, No on the level just below 46%+ still has some juice in it.

Edit: not really any more.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Oct 29, 2015

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
The comments can actually be useful in figuring out the trajectory of certain markets. Luckily, there's just as many morons betting the exact opposite as what the trends say.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Just want to caution latecomers on the "sure thing" aspect: new polls drop (by which I mean are added to) pretty frequently for the approval numbers. If one were to drop tomorrow, it could be ruinous.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Just want to caution latecomers on the "sure thing" aspect: new polls drop (by which I mean are added to) pretty frequently for the approval numbers. If one were to drop tomorrow, it could be ruinous.

It is still a poll market, I have no illusions about the risk involved. All hail the RCP gods, may they be forever merciful. :catholic:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Oddly enough, people are filling No buy orders in the low-mid 70's for the 45.9% or below market. Looks like I'm back in the poll business. :shepicide:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Oddly enough, people are filling No buy orders in the low-mid 70's for the 45.9% or below market. Looks like I'm back in the poll business. :shepicide:

And now the market has gone unhinged, huge volume in both directions. No idea what is going on. Why do I do this to myself.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

And now the market has gone unhinged, huge volume in both directions. No idea what is going on. Why do I do this to myself.

Pretty sure you can thank Gallup Analytics for the gossip that's causing things to skew sideways.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I guess Gallup just dropped a 47 poll?

And the price of 46 or higher just tanked.... after a 47% came out.

Poll markets make no sense.

edit: Oh I get it, the last RCP had Gallup at 50, so that hurts Obama, but it's completely based on what RCP decides to do which is completely random and arbitrary.

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 18:07 on Oct 29, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Turns out I have Gallup Analytics access.

Any ideas on how I can use this for the Good of Goonkind™?

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Wow, looks like people with Gallup Analytics are thinking a high number from that poll is dropping from the average tomorrow. Down to 0.46. Jesus Christ, these polls are making me thirsty

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I've been with 4 for 4 when I've played with the polling markets in the last two weeks. This might be the one that bites me.

If it gets back up to .70 for YES on 46% or higher, I'm probably getting out. The GA people officially have me spooked on this one.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

I guess Gallup just dropped a 47 poll?

And the price of 46 or higher just tanked.... after a 47% came out.

Poll markets make no sense.

edit: Oh I get it, the last RCP had Gallup at 50, so that hurts Obama, but it's completely based on what RCP decides to do which is completely random and arbitrary.

Looks like that would be the average at EXACTLY 46%. Which is as good as 46.4% for the Yes crowd. Whole thing is bonkers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
They need more short term markets for me to stupidly put my money on. Someone please fill my Trump order so I don't have any free money and thus don't have the urge to find that new market to dump money in.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
God drat poll markets, I put some money in and things go all to hell. I'm done with them once I'm out of this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ah, I see why the GA people all freaked out now. May or may not be against GA TOS to share daily poll results, stupidly enough.

Combed Thunderclap has issued a correction as of 18:33 on Oct 29, 2015

• Locked thread