Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Paper With Lines posted:

I still don't think there is a 90 percent chance Ryan gets it. He still doesn't want to be Speaker and it is highly unlikely, despite the FC's `endorsement' that they'll agree to the rule changes he wants, imo.

He'd better not, I bought 500 shares for NO today before the crash.

e: literally me, irl, right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMA3EKjbEwo

Wanamingo has issued a correction as of 03:09 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I just realize. I started using this site back in july, and in the intervening three and a half months, I've managed to take my initial deposit of $100 and turn it into a grand. gently caress.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vox Nihili posted:

Paul Ryan officially running for speaker.

poo poo.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vox Nihili posted:

Right, but whether he would run remained in question. He has the endorsements of the major caucuses and a tacit semi-endorsement from the Freedom Caucus ("only" 66%+ support). There is nothing left in his way other than the formalities.

I just sold, so he'd better get the position or else I'm going to have to kick myself even harder.

Man, I wasted like $300 from my Biden winnings. I think that's my biggest single loss yet.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
For anybody looking for some quick and (relatively) safe returns, the price of Trump finishing the month at 25% is down to 83 cents each. He's sitting at 26.8% right now, and I'm pretty sure the drop is from people expecting him to do poorly in the debate tonight.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Necc0 posted:

Post-debate polls usually take a while and there's only two business days left this month. That market will be a gamble just like always

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. There's only a single poll up on RCP which has him under 25, so he'd have to take a pretty big hit for it to not pay out. The reason it's cheap right now is because a few people are under the assumption that they'll have some post-debate polls right away.

e:

quote:

Trump's going below 25% after tonight's debate.

quote:

He's going down in the debate, regardless of polls the swing is coming tonight. I'm all in for NO.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aliquid posted:

god help me I think Jeb! YES at .17 may be a good buy

It isn't

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

loving Kentucky. Lost all my gains post Biden, have fun watching your state burn down, guys.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Yikes, is it really over already? :ohdear: Hope Conway will pull through for the sake of Kentucky's health care system if nothing else.

Nah, only half the vote is in and the republican guy is up by 4.4%. I'm gonna hang in until the end.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Eh, these things happen. I think I'll probably buy back in with like $50 tomorrow.

e: just for the record, that would be a total of $150 that I've put into the site, versus the $850 check I withdrew and am still burning my way through.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I finally bought back in after going bust a few days ago, and I'm already down $2.70.

hooray

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zeta Taskforce posted:

What exactly did you do the first time? Not to pick, but we all learn from what strategies work and don't work. What are some of your big bets now?

I withdrew a bunch and stuck what was left on the Kentucky governer race, since it seemed pretty safe. No real lesson to be learned here apart from not sticking all your eggs in one basket, which I assume most of you should already know. I don't have any big bets going right now, I just loaded in another $50 and spread it over a few markets.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Necc0 posted:

I should have bought into that market, too :(

I don't remember why I didn't, either.

They were originally supposed to vote for it on the third (I think?) but delayed it until the fifth. There was a bunch of worry that they might do the same thing again.

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm convinced tonight's debate is more likely than not to beat 15m viewers. The last one on CNBC hit 14m while competing against the World Series. Fox is pushing this one hard and there isn't any sort of equivalent competition tonight. There has also been a lot of Carson controversy stirring the pot, a new number of candidates/format, etc.

I think these factors will outweigh the somewhat smaller size of the network, its relative proximity to the last debate, and a general downward trend in interest from the initial novelty.

And now I've put money on it.

Remember, the debate isn't on the Fox News Channel, it's on the Fox Business Network. There could be less viewers just because people don't know that FBN is a channel.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

pathetic little tramp posted:

Not me, but that makes me think - there's a definite market in going into the comments section as wildly partisan and forcing people to spite-buy in the opposite direction.

I'll admit to occasionally getting drunk or high and trolling the comments every now and then. Fortunately I've always had to presence of mind to not actually buy or sell while doing that.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really want to dump all my shares and put the money into buying yes on the Starbucks question, but I'm not going to because I know it's a dumb idea.

Posting this so I can publicly kick myself later for not taking the opportunity when I could.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wanamingo posted:

I really want to dump all my shares and put the money into buying yes on the Starbucks question, but I'm not going to because I know it's a dumb idea.

Posting this so I can publicly kick myself later for not taking the opportunity when I could.

Hooray, I managed to learn my lesson after the last time I dumped all my money into one market.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Whooooops. Shouldn't have bet on StarbucksYes.

For what it's worth, I was surprised too. It would've been a stupid as hell question, and it's not often you lose money by underestimating the political discourse in this country.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Necc0 posted:

I've now washed away all my Biden winnings :(

You didn't withdraw any? gently caress, I'm wearing a silk man thong I bought with my Biden winnings right now.

I just went ahead and bought 90 shares for O'Malley being the winner of the debate, wish me luck.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vox Nihili posted:

I just went in big on O'Malley getting the biggest post-debate bump. Hillary currently leading by 0.2% after PPP, but O'Malley showing that his new range is around 5%. A couple more polls and I think he'll take this.

Wish I hadn't gotten cold feet on that market yesterday, I sold off half my (already meager) position at a slight loss.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well alright, I'm up $20 today. That's not too bad at all with only $50 invested.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What's the deal with the FBN debate winner market? It's 30 cents for Trump YES, even though he's had a decrease of .2%.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Trump Bump No is currently at 72 Buy/24 Sell if you want to try and buy in at sub 30.

Edit: Turns out ABC just upended the market with a new poll of Trump at 32, Cruz at 8

What the gently caress

I just lost $35 :mad:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Weird swing just happened in the weekly right direction market. YES was selling at 20 cents a share, and then somebody bought up everything they could. Granted it wasn't a very deep market since it only went up to 60 cents each, but for a while there were absolutely zero YES shares available.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Necc0 posted:

ninja x2 edit: PredictIt also isn't allowed in Washington or Nevada

I'm in Washington and I'm using it just fine.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
For anybody looking to make a quick turnaround, the government shutdown market closes in a week. It's selling at 95 cents each for NO right now, but it's worth keeping an eye on in case it goes down a bit as we get closer to the deadline.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

thethreeman posted:

very clear trend of people getting bored and the Dec 15th debate is closer to the holidays when people might be traveling. But being back on a major network, on a weeknight, with all the trumpmentum, the US/Paris attacks, etc, I'm torn. Already up on a handful of 22+ shares, but I might just try to take advantage of swings/inefficiencies since this feels really hard to predict.

For what it's worth, I saw a TV commercial advertising the debate today. I don't think any of the others had much advertisement, did they?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Adar posted:

Hilldawg is at 89.8 or whatever; if you're gonna go milquetoast you should put it on the predictable megalomaniac, not the crazy one

For what, winning the nomination? That's going to take months to pay out, the Trump third party market will close in a few weeks.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fuschia tude posted:

What I don't understand are the CNN debate viewership numbers. Their last CNN debate got 24 million, Trump just Trumped this month and people are expecting fewer viewers? :raise:

To be fair, there's a very clear downward trend with the debate ratings. Each one has had fewer viewers than the last one. That being said, I do agree that 22 million or more is a fairly safe bet. Not just because of Trump, but also because CNN has been running ads for it. I've got $20 riding on it, which I feel is worth risking.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a consensus here on the medical device tax market?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

nachos posted:

My understanding is that the predictit YES prices are going up because dems might horse trade away a "pause" in the medical device tax as opposed to an outright repeal. Given this congress, any pause should be interpreted as a de facto repeal and so I don't think this is likely and that NO is undervalued right now.

Right after I put in $8 on NO, too. That's enough for a decent lunch :argh:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like 18 million people watched the debate, and I'm almost bust now because of it

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vox Nihili posted:

I was considering putting a no bet on that inflated top number (22+ million, was it?), but instead decided to go with the "predictable" speaking market. gently caress.

I lost a few bucks there, too. Considering going the George Costanza route with the rest of my money and betting against what I think will happen

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hooray, the random crapshoot I put down on Obama's Gallup average payed out. Shame I wasn't able to bet on Carson being the biggest loser of the debate, I wanted to yesterday when it was at 50 cents but didn't have any money. I think I'll go ahead and dump my available funds into the lowest tier for the ABC debate ratings and hope I do better than I did with the CNN debate.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What's everybody's opinion on the ABC debate speaking time market? Hillary seems way overpriced at 80 cents, so I went ahead and put down a whopping $5 on Sanders.

e: I just now realized it would have been cheaper and (technically) safer to bet against Hillary rather than for Sanders. Oh well

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Peachstapler posted:

The media frenzy over this data breach is making it hard to gauge what's going to happen tonight. Conventional wisdom is it'll be a Clinton-Sanders arguefest, but I'm living dangerously --- bought $5 in O'Malley.

Hey, stranger things have happened.

I was also thinking about throwing down a few bucks on them not mentioning gun control, but decided against it. I did find the rules for that market pretty funny, though.

quote:

During the presidential debate conducted by ABC on December 19, 2015, a moderator or candidate will utter the exact phrase "gun control." The two words must be uttered intelligibly, completely, consecutively, and imparting the phrase's usual meaning.

Should ABC not conduct a presidential debate on December 19, 2015, this market will resolve as No.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

watwat posted:

Hillary has the speaking time in the bag. I loved watching the price swings when Bernie got a bit of a head start.

:negative:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

a cop posted:

Lol I put like 5 bucks on Sanders winning speaking time because gently caress it, it's 5 bucks. How much did you guys spend?

I originally just bet $5, and then I put in another 10 after he took the early lead

Not exactly breaking the bank here, but still

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If he somehow wins the presidency, would there be any legal problems with running a venture like that at the same time? I know Carter stuck his peanut farm in a blind trust (that ended up really mismanaged) during his presidency, but I don't know if he had to do that or if he just wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread