Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A Time To Chill posted:

There is yet again more chatter that Biden is FOR SURE DEFINITELY RUNNING GUYS HE'LL ANNOUNCE ANY DAY I SWEAR.

Is there anything to this or is it more of the same bs? Regardless of how true it is, all these dumb stories are making my NO shares lose value so it would be great if the WSJ could cut it out already :argh:

Good chance to pick up some no shares on the cheap. 33 cents is a steal, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

The republican primary market is giving Trump and Kasich equal odds now, and Jeb is still considered the most likely to win.

I just noticed that there's a section for markets that are having the the largest swings in prices, how long has that been there?

Kasich is like the new Ron Paul for prediction markets. I bought No on him in the 79-81 cent range and the market refused to budge for months. Looks like he's still inflated by about a factor of two or three over where he could reasonably be placed.

The Yes inflation in that market is somehow more ridiculous than ever. People really hate pressing the No button, it seems.

I think Jeb on top by a couple points is probably reasonable, though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Same here. At 30 cents each, I'd be a fool NOT to buy them :shepspends:

Price is already jumping back into the 40c range. Wish I had been online when No fell to 20-some cents, missed out on a deal.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

You shouldn't feel bad about getting out early (unless you lost money by doing so). Don't fall into the trap of blindly chasing the max return; it's probably the easiest way to get burned.

Yep. You can always hold a couple shares to see if you can push your luck, but buying and selling on the swing is definitely the way to go.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

fronz posted:

If they ever get rid of the poll from two months ago, that is.

The folks running RCP probably wonder why there are so many eager applicants to work as an unpaid intern for the site.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Just got Berned by the new Fox poll. RCP added a new poll and didn't immediately remove an old one. Then five minutes later it did remove the old one. Fortunately I was able to sell some shares in the ensuing chaos.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

fronz posted:

Oh my loving god.

e: RCP removed a bunch of the republican nomination polls so that for, like, the first time ever on that site, it's based on a 5-day polling average, pushing Donald's rating down to 24.

Hahahaha.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

only suckers vote on polls :cool:

seriously, there are too many moving pieces involved with them. and for what? there's little return. give me events and nothing more. plenty of money to make in those.

The poll markets exist to redistribute money from people who make casual bets to the folks refreshing every five minutes.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Necc0 posted:

Trump still has a week to recover only one point so I'm kind of surprised the market reacted as heavily as it did

Now is a great time to buy in!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

So apparently there's money still to be squeezed out of Scott Walker quitting. People seem to be randomly clicking on the market and buying yes shares on the other candidates. Perhaps they think it's the new who will drop out, but now Pataki Nos are selling for almost 90 cents.

Speaking of which, why haven't they settled that market yet?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

why would boehner leaving avoid the shutdown?

He has nothing to lose by cutting a deal with the Democrats now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Prime Sinister posted:

Well, that was pretty fun. Had my first 'big' win on this site with the NO on a shutdown. I was on the bus checking my phone and saw that my balance was way higher than expected. Managed to dump off my shares in the low-mid 90's. Good timing, too, because last I saw it's dipped into the 80's again.

It's up to like 94 now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A Time To Chill posted:

Oh cool I was asleep when the bottom dropped out of the shutdown market. RIP 80 bucks :smith:

Yep, you can make $10 dozens of times but when you lose a big bet it really brings things back down to earth. I still made money on that yes bet, though

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Just out of curiosity, were you caught with your pants down while trading on the market swings or did you think that there was actually going to be a shutdown?

I was thinking no as the probable outcome all along but bought into yes a few times when no peaked early on. Never held long enough to get caught, but could easily have eaten it at the end (thought there would be more of a yes spike and got off even on my last buy).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

The only polls that probably won't gently caress you over are the monthly polls and the weekly Obama one where you can bet across multiple tranches. Still, it's always best to be out of the market at least 1 day before they end. You're not just betting on what the polls are but which polls RCP decides to use.

They'll all gently caress you over, really. Much safer to avoid them entirely. It's hard to, though, because there are few other short-term options.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I think this whole thing is just to cover up all the Yes inflation and make it more difficult for people to discredit the accuracy of their markets. I don't quite understand what they intend but it sounds "artificial" at this point.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

Looking at the trend and trying to read the tea leaves of the comments, it looks like no is probably going to slowly sink back to around where it was at the beginning of the day. Some Yes people probably tried to liquidate shares as soon as it came out Biden wasn't going to be in the debate. Turns out they didn't need to panic since people are just pushing the price back up to where it was.

The equilibrium of the Biden market is in the range of 60-70 Yes, 30-40 No. Which is real nice if you feel some level of certainty that Biden isn't jumping in. I think I've actually made more off the Biden market than any other on the site. Buy in at 30 something, sell around 60, repeat. Each day makes his jumping in less likely but the market seems determined to deny this.

God I hope you're right. I missed out on the 40c range waiting on the site to pay out on my last bet and I really don't want to have to buy at 55c or whatever.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Got a big pile of Biden No at 43, probably sticking with it now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

Biden NO is getting cheap, can't say I'm not nervous though

The Yes people on there are insane. No for 39 cents or whatever is a ridiculous deal at this point.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Stereotype posted:

I have standing orders on a bunch of Jeb NOs but they all have stupidly low volume.

I also own "North Korea will detonate a nuke YES" so now I have this perverse desire for them to do that in 5 days.

A close reading on the NK nuke market indicates that they would have to detonate a "thermonuclear" weapon, ie, a fusion device. That is not going to happen.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

User Error posted:

I really hope you guys are not all part of a conspiracy to scam me out of my money with Biden No.

Conservatives have convinced themselves that Hillary is unelectable. From their perspective, Biden has a clear shot on the White House. So they bet along those we lines. Everyone more or less agrees that Biden will run if Clinton is toast, but these people just can't help but believe that Clinton has already flamed out.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I still hope they push Yes up to 67c in the next few days. I feel like we're maybe 2 or 3 unsourced news pieces away.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gosh, if there was only a way that Biden could let us all know that he wasn't going to run?

I dunno.. maybe he could say something like, "Guys, thanks for all the interest, but I'm not running."

But no, this uncertainty is great for the Dem race and he's just playing coy and dragging down poll numbers for kicks. Or maybe with all that's been going on, he just forgot to let people know that he wasn't running!

Is this what people believe? Gonna LOL so hard when Biden declares next week.

People have been predicting that he'll declare "next week" since July. Meanwhile, Hillary is eating his breakfast in terms of donations and endorsements. If he decided he wanted to run awhile back, he's going about it the wrong way. His potential candidacy grows weaker every day he doesn't declare.

The media want a horserace. The Republicans want someone to bloody Hillary. Some of his boosters also want him to get in on it, probably for their own selfish reasons. The real questions are 1) what does the party want of Biden and 2) what does Biden want. It's impossible to guess at #2, but #1 is pretty clear: the insiders want to protect Hillary. Biden is a party man and while no one can force him to do anything, the Party's influence on the race is difficult to underestimate.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 21:37 on Oct 6, 2015

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

The reason he's leaving it uncertain is he'll only run if it looks like Hillary's imploding or will implode.

Yeah. There really is no other explanation unless you think Biden is a fool. The Party wants a backup plan without weakening Hillary.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

C'mon man, you can't really believe this. By this logic, Elizabeth Warren should not have announced that she wasn't running. She could have teased and teased a run and made Hillary look like a strong and capable candidate!

None of the media or Biden's "boosters" are making this a horeserace. Biden is. Because he hasn't said "No." Because he sees his opening to run and is going to take it. If Biden was such a "party man" and wasn't going to run, he'd say so -- for the good of the party. Unless you believe this is good for the party. In which case, LOL.

Biden's son urged him to run. Biden's wife said she'd support a run 100%. This has reported and acknowledged, so I don't know where this "his family is against it" rumor is coming from.

The media is absolutely making it into a horserace. They're desperate for a horserace. Every time Biden takes a poo poo they have five anonymous sources mentioning how this is a sign that he's super serious for real this time.

Biden hasn't said no because it would used against him should he actually enter. He's clearly waiting on some sort of triggering event, and that seems to be a Hillary breakdown of some sort.

Bottom line is that he could run, and is clearly keeping the option open, but the calculus seems increasingly disfavorable.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Geez, that isn't much at all. Are total shares in the each market listed somewhere or are you doing some statistical jiu jitsu to figure this out?

Yeah the total is listed under "data" for each market, and the more popular ones tend to have pretty huge floats. The Biden Runs market has 100,000 shares outstanding, for example.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JohnnyPalace posted:

Seeing this made me want to do some math. As it stands now, someone could bid Bloomberg up to 40c and into first place overall by spending $176. So if someone with money to burn (or a campaign) really wanted to point to PredictIt to show a candidate was legitimate, it would be fairly cheap to do so.

The price would immediately drop like a rock after that initially buy, though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

With how relatively easy it is to day trade in this game, who are the suckers losing money and still playing?

(It's me, I'm the future sucker)

I lost some. Learn from my mistakes and avoid the stupid poll markets.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Those "best impact" markets are even worse than the regular polling markets.

Speaking time is a good one, though. Frontrunner almost always gets the most time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Stereotype posted:

To be fair, it was entirely about his dead wife and children

I think the biggest takeaway is that the Draft Biden folks really are acting independently and really are desperate to get him into the race. It's not just some sort of 11th dimensional chess game to build up hype secretly managed by Biden himself.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EngineerSean posted:

Seems like Bernie's a good bet on YES there, he hasn't been debate prepping and I think there's definitely more than a 1 in 4 chance that he loses to Lifelong Career Politician Hillary

He could bomb the debate and still get a better "bump" due to the way it's measured. Have fun refreshing poll results at 8am to cover your rear end, I definitely did. No, I'm not bitter at all.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Necc0 posted:

We haven't made it yet.

Place your bets goons: assuming he doesn't run how long will it take for BIDEN.RUN to drop below 10%

Will it stay afloat to the end of the year?

Once filing deadlines come up people will crack. Until then they will buy any and every excuse.

Things are looking thin down to 38c on No, might be time to pick up some more. :shepspends:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

But...what if he runs?

:agesilaus:

Yeah, there is that whole thing--though he would be pretty crazy to choose to run now when he could have gotten in months ago.

Assuming Hillary doesn't call Sanders a crazy old kike at the debate, she's still looking too strong for Biden to topple, and he knows it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JosefStalinator posted:

Even though all logic and reason tells me that Biden won't run (and I have plenty of cash in it that he won't), the thing keeping me from putting more in is just the sheer belief of the other people/media that he will. I will feel quite the fool if they, somehow, turn out right.

Pretty much in the same boat, except:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Necc0 posted:

Those shares aren't destroyed though, they're just passed off to someone else.

edit: I misread what you wrote. Do they really do that? I didn't know it was possible to destroy shares like that but it makes sense. Do they have that outlined somewhere on their site?

Yep, you can tell by looking at how the available sell/buy offers are perfectly mirrored. Every offer to sell No is also an offer to buy Yes for the other side.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Necc0 posted:

That doesn't destroy both shares though, just transforms Yes -> No or vice versa.

Well if you offer to sell No at 35c someone could either buy No at 35c or sell Yes at 65c to complete the transaction. Otherwise an offer to sell a share could only be completed by someone picking up a share of the same type.

Otherwise, selling No/buying Yes wouldn't be perfect mirrors on the price table because an offer to sell a No would not create an opportunity for Yes.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Necc0 posted:

I'm considering assigning each of my friends a candidate to time with their phone and putting in a bet about half way in if anyone is clearly ahead

Last time they locked the length of speaking one right as the debate started.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Even at 60c Biden No sounds like a good deal. Wish I had deposited more when it was flipping around at 45c.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EngineerSean posted:

I actually sold my entire Biden NO stake for between 50 and 60, I might buy again in the future though.

That's a reasonable move, though waiting another 24 hrs or so would probably have made you a good chunk of change more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Combed Thunderclap posted:

EDIT: ^ It's OK! I have the opposite problem, I play pretty conservative and always want to hang on to my shares at all costs. Case in point:

Does anyone actually feel like Biden NO is really going to drop in value again? Considering selling my shares as well but having difficulty seeing a scenario where I'll be able to get them in the 30s/40s again.

Either Biden or the media will need to play him up and build some drama for the big dinner event (name is slipping my mind). Otherwise, all the big Yes boosters are melting down and lots of people look to be cutting losses, which is equivalent to a big No buy order. Solid wall of such orders down to 50c now.

• Locked thread