Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
They need her there so they don't have a stage full of men, at least one of whom cannot stop saying horribly sexist things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Nothing right now looks like a good bet even though I dropped $20 into this thing. I want to bet on, like, "approval of senate above %15.5" because its going for like 20-70 right now and is at 15.3. I guess I don't understand what polls they can use though and which ones come out next and which way they trend.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Wanamingo posted:

Thanks to whoever said the Iran veto thing was a safe bet, I made $60 on that today.

Its weird, because "Will Congress reject Iran deal" is at 98c for NO, but "Will Obama veto congressional disapproval" is only at 78c for NO. The second one cannot be a yes without the first one being a yes.

edit: nevermind, the first one has to be a veto override.

Stereotype has issued a correction as of 08:58 on Sep 2, 2015

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
There's a good chance that Christie won't be in the next CNN debate, which has NOs trading at only 20c. He is currently ranked 10, tied with Paul, and is 11th according to the latest CNN poll. They are only letting 10 people in.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Why did they add a market about Al Gore becoming a candidate? Is that something anyone has talked about ever?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Here's a link to the actual rules
http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/01/politics/cnn-debate-rules-september-16/index.html

They are only letting in 10 people, but they expanded their allowable polls to be included in the average. If Christie and Paul are tied for 10th (they are) then PAUL gets in because he was in the lead for the previous polling period. Christie still might get bumped. Disclaimer: I have like a dollar riding on Christie not being in the debate.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

You might want to try reading those again. I suggest focusing on Section 7a, which clearly allows additional candidates beyond the top 10 from Section 7.

If there is one more poll before the 10th, Fiorina gets a 5 or above, and Christie gets a 3 or below, then she becomes 10th for the July 16th to September 10th average, knocking Christie to 11th and out of the section 7a qualifications.

He is already not in the top 10 in the August 7th to September 10th average, and if he polls similarly to what he is now, he won't be. (7b might be an average or might be ANY poll in that period, it isn't really clear),

I think it was a risk worthy of buying some 10c stock. Plus it would be extra hilarious to see him pouting on the B-team stage if I also won money on it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

Nope, it's no where near one poll of 5 or above vs. one poll of 3 or below to knock Christie out of the Section 7 qualification. I don't know if you're including polls that CNN isn't using, looking at the RCP numbers, or what, but the actual numbers are no where near that. For example, the most useful poll for pushing down Christie, the PPP poll with him at 2% and Fiorina at 8%, is not included in the CNN average.

In your previous post, you said Christie and Paul are tied; this is not true. I think you are looking at the RCP averages rather than the CNN qualifying polls, which look much further back and exclude several recent polls.

This chart doesn't include the most recent poll, but the excluded poll has Christie at 2% and Carly at 4%, not nearly enough to move the numbers here:

Ah thats where my problem is, I didn't exclude PPP and Rasmussen. Excluding those, Fiorina needs a 12(!) with Christie getting a 2, or an 11 if he gets a 1. Thats way less likely.

quote:

He was never going to make it in under the August to Sept. polling average, which was added specifically to add Fiorina as an 11th candidate. There is no Section 7b, so I don't know what you're referring to there.
I referred to section 7a as 7b, and 7 as 7a, whoops.

quote:

I think you'll find plenty of 10c No shares available if you want to make that bet. Barring any further CNN changes, it looks like a long shot.

Already got 10 for 10c, but oh well, my dollar probably isn't going to turn into 10 dollars.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

By the way, this looks like a pretty good deal: https://www.predictit.org/Home/SingleOption?contractId=1166

The filibuster is almost a done deal, yet No is selling in the 80 cent range.

Yeah that one was great all last week, hovering around 50c

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I really doubt they will, but then again the Republican Party is a field of clowns.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Its sort of funny that they have a new "Who will drop out first" bet with Jindal, the winner of the last one, still in it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Necc0 posted:

We're coming up on All Things Considered right now if anyone is interested in hearing NPR's take. I was interviewed by their reporter last night during the debate

I wish instead of NPR doing the story it was Fox News.

Here's the link I think (it wont be avaliable for another two hours)
http://www.npr.org/2015/09/17/441222483/predictit-lets-investors-buy-and-sell-political-candidate-stock

I'm excited to hear it :)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I hope Biden isn't running because I just bought more Biden Is Not Running stock.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
also Necc0 you sound like a goon hahaha

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I love how much of an effect that had on the price. I'm still going off his interview on Colbert where he really didn't look interested in running.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

pathetic little tramp posted:

House just voted to defund Planned Parenthood, I'm hoping we've got some chicken littles in the shutdown yes camp who don't see it as just political gamesmanship and bought a quick 25 shares at 35 to see if I can turn them into 50.

edit: And yes just dropped 5 cents. Dammit. Can't we get some dumb people on this site?

I'm in on Yes Shutdown too, but I'm waiting until next week when it's all over the news that they haven't passed a continuing resolution yet, because they are going to string this out till the last minute (why wouldn't they?)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
They added a "biggest movers" category.

I want to dumb my "Bush No Nomination" stocks because I need some liquidity and people might never actually believe he isn't going to win.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The house is and always has been where the shutdown is a problem this time. Boehner doesn't have the republican votes to pass a continuing resolution and a lot of people want to oust him from the leadership position, which partnering with Democrats to fund abortions might do.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
People in the comments section on PredictIt have decided that Joe Biden is already running because of these two things at the FEC:

http://docquery.fec.gov/pdf/801/201508249000928801/201508249000928801.pdf
http://www.fec.gov/fecviewer/CandidateCommitteeDetail.do?candidateCommitteeId=P60012465&tabIndex=1

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Wanamingo posted:

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/1223/Will-congressional-job-approval-be-at-least-15-on-September-25

Looks like no here might be a decent buy at 20 cents. RCP has it at 15.2% right now, the latest poll was at 11%, and the next poll to be removed will be a 17%.

This was a good bet and I won a dollar so thank you :)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Wanamingo posted:

What? It's set to close a week after a candidate suspends their campaign. Check the rules.

I think he was talking about the R nomination market, which they probably wont resolve for NO Walker until the end

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Yeah I am back at even now :(

The Obama approval also had a crazy huge swing as RCP decided to drop off two polls at once.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
So who is going to be the next majority leader?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol I just made 10 dollars flipping stocks on that brand new market

(it's going to be either Scalise or Rodgers probably, they're in line, it just matters if they want a woman or not at the #2 spot)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Betting on polls is stupid. The "congressional approval" one didn't update for the entire run of the last market.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I have no idea what this change means. This poo poo was already complicated.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Biden is volatile enough to make some money, because he isn't going to run so just always buy NO for low and sell it higher.

I want to bet on the Majority Leader market though, because I have no idea who is going to win and neither does anyone else.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I'm pretty sure YES Biden just jumped up 5 cents because someone posted this video lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ODioax-0J8

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

Got a big pile of Biden No at 43, probably sticking with it now.

I was playing with the volatility on Friday and have a bunch of 51c NOs :( Now they look dumb.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I have standing orders on a bunch of Jeb NOs but they all have stupidly low volume.

I also own "North Korea will detonate a nuke YES" so now I have this perverse desire for them to do that in 5 days.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Vox Nihili posted:

A close reading on the NK nuke market indicates that they would have to detonate a "thermonuclear" weapon, ie, a fusion device. That is not going to happen.

Yeah I saw that. I take it that if they have a fission nuclear test before January 1st Predictit will resolve to YES anyway though and they are just horrible at correctly specifying rules.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Can someone explain this better than them? I don't understand this.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

evilweasel posted:

If I bet every single candidate (19 I think) for the Republican nomination will not win it, I am guaranteed to lose one, and only one, of those bets (and when I looked at the market, it would pay me $1.70 to make that bet, letting you pocket $0.70). PredictIt needs to hold $1 from me to be sure that I will pay up. However, they're holding $1 for each candidate, requiring a total of $19 locked up for a bet that can only lose $1.

This matters because you have to put the extra $18 in, and then lose 5% taking it out ($0.90). That wipes out your profits. Once they fix that, the market will correct by people mass betting "no" until the prices equalize at about $1 total.

edit: while the margin issues mean you can't risk-free arbitrage the market like I wanted to do easily, it does mean that in each market you should bet against candidates, not for them. Betting on candidates has a negative expected ROI while betting against them has a positive expected ROI.

That's a good explanation!! Thanks :)

Now I understand.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It would be strange if he declared a run next week and then sat out of a debate a few days later.

The rumor is that HE wants to run, but his family doesn't want him to.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I'll buy NOs on that for 90c yes please.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The guy who bought Bloomberg from 1c (tied for last) to 10c (7th, better than Fiorina) spent $100.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I dropped $20 into this game and so far I have $36 so I'm pretty happy with that!

I plan on building it up until I lose it all of course.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

A Time To Chill posted:

Yeah I enjoyed losing that money so much I haven't really played on the site since.

It doesn't help that the only things that resolve before a year goes by are generally the poll markets :/

I made $20 on the crazy volatility of the House Majority leader one which will resolve soon. The Nobel Peace prize one is also a total gamble because who knows who those crazy Swedes will pick.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol I'm glad I got out of that nonsense.

I'm excited to lose 4 dollars tomorrow when the Pope doesn't get the peace prize though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
There's a bunch of new Democratic Debate markets that opened and I couldn't talk to anyone about them! They all have Biden as a participant (as well as one about whether he will participate).

• Locked thread