Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
For bets that far out though, what you are actually betting on is the site being functional long enough for you to cash out.

BougieBitch has issued a correction as of 15:45 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Abel Wingnut posted:

oh, is r-370 the bet about the Rs taking the WH, senate, and house? yea, a no there seems pretty drat safe.

No, he's talking about margin of victory for the presidential election. 370 or more EV (Which is absurdly unlikely because just California, New York, etc. add up to more than enough to make it virtually impossible).

(The bet you are talking about is actually kind of cruddy, you are better off betting on presidential outcomes, because Dems aren't getting the senate without getting the presidency and the return on one bet is better than the other.)

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
Since we brought it up, here's what the map looks like Dems only win states they had 55% or more of the vote for in the last election:
http://www.270towin.com/maps/5PpWL

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Abel Wingnut posted:

hmm, i'm not even seeing the r-370 bet. and yea, agreed you're way better off betting on the WH outcome given the prices.

https://www.predictit.org/Home/SingleOption?marketId=1322#data1

The actual issue with this one is that there are barely any shares for sale.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
https://www.predictit.org/Home/SingleMarket?marketId=1532#sthash.DwDYK14M.dpbs

This is probably my favorite free money one, since it will probably close sooner than the rest of the primary stuff.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
The problem with both markets is that the buy no and sell no are so far apart that the cost of getting in is too high. I grabbed the last handful of discount no shares, but that's it.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
https://www.predictit.org/Home/SingleOption?marketId=1274#data1

I love this site. Comments are just what you'd think

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Tomato Burger posted:

Just joined PredictIt today based on this thread! I was quite surprised to find a North Korea nuclear test market.

Is the "by the end of the year" end-date for many of these a common end date, or is it just because we are near the end of the year (e.g. when the North Korea nuke thing expires on Dec. 31 and they decide to make a new one, is it more likely that the new end date will be 12-31-2016 or some earlier date 3-6 months out)?

The site's not really been around long enough to say. It'll be interesting to see if a bunch of new markets open in January with deadlines in December. For the time being, it's definitely at least partially convenience, and there are at least some markets (especially related to elections) that are going to have different deadlines.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Flavahbeast posted:

How is current gain/loss calculated, is it based on what I would get if I liquidated every share for the current ask price or is it based on the average value of each share?

It's not even liquidation, it's based on the most recent trade price, buying or selling. Basically, just ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
What's everyone feeling on Kansas and Nebraska shares for Hillary? They dropped pretty far. What's the polling situation?

• Locked thread