Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Wow I'm bad at this. Rode my Bernie dropout NO shares up and back down before getting discouraged and selling for the liquidity. Then it immediately goes up again. At least I made a few cents I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Should have stuck with my NO shares. This is almost as bad as when I sold my (large number of) Merrick Garland shares at $0.25... I think I don't have the patience for this.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm baffled why people think Warren is a lock for VP. Strategy-wise, it makes more sense for Clinton to tack right and try to win the votes of Republicans who aren't on board with Trump than to tack left to win the votes of the Bernie supporters who are largely going to vote for her anyway. Demo-wise, having two women on the ticket doesn't seem like a strong move. I also think she would be vulnerable to attack for being under-qualified. And finally, would Warren even accept the nomination? I know she endorsed Hillary but is she ready to sell out completely?

The thing that matters most in a VP pick is "will not screw it up". I.e., don't pick a Palin. Lack of negatives means more than the positives. And Warren just seems way too risky for Hillary. She doesn't need a hail mary to win the left. She'll pick some vanilla man.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Looks like there's a (read-only) API. I'm going to throw together some utilities. Basic stuff, like a terminal ticker, saving data, and setting alerts. What features would people be interested in?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I don't imagine reading the JSON API counts as scraping. The description (linked in my last post) is in the FAQ on the PredictIt support page. And it doesn't say "...but reading it is against the TOS".

There are plenty of limitations, but it is updated every second. There's no order depth, just the highest/lowest offers and last price. And there's no list of markets. But it's enough to make a basic price alert tool, which is the reason I looked into this in the first place.

Of course it wouldn't be impossible to fake a full API with scraping or whatever, but I don't need to check the TOS to know that's a bad idea.

Edit: Even though I think he's the most likely pick, Kaine DVP No for .56 is quite tempting.

SurgicalOntologist has issued a correction as of 02:46 on Jun 26, 2016

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

People were betting against Putin staying in power? smh

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Crap I sold all my Clinton shares, forgetting about the trader limit, and now I can't place orders to get back in :(

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

OAquinas posted:

There are 3 other markets that are effectively the same thing, and should be at a comparable price.

Thanks for the reminder, forgot about those.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yeah, so if you're selling your position but might want to get back in later, leave 1 share.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Oops I bought DWS NO shares too. Serves me right for listening to you fools. Here's hoping she resigns.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Is anyone buying Pence Yes at 55-60? I've got a rough NO position (thought he would peak at like 15...) but it seems like it's him so I'm considering biting the bullet and selling NOs. But on the other hand, that's the same as buying YES and I'm not sure I'd buy YES at 58.

Edit: If Clinton picks Perez or Brown I'll be happy though. Much bigger position in DVP, and sold a chunk of my Perez shares in the high 20s the other day so I'm already in the black there. Unless Clinton picks Warren or Castro. Kaine will be a wash.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I stopped paying attention for like 18 hours, anyone know why PEREZ.DVP16 is down?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Whoops didn't realize how many "I'll sell a few if it swings up a bit" offers I had left open in the DWS market.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm thinking of getting back in on YES for a small amount in case it doesn't go through until Monday. Any chance this happens?

And yeah I never blamed Joe Man for this. I would have made a killing in the end if it wasn't for my stupidity leaving orders open.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I think it's still overpriced. No on 8+ for low 60s is pretty good IMO.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Keep trying. I got in twice since it first filled, and I was only checking a couple times per week.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

The "trick" is not to withdraw after only one bet. The winning fee is per bet but the withdrawal fee is not.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Ugh right after I maxed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I had some Jones shares that I bought in a flash of optimism long before the news came out about Moore. I sold most of them right away but I still have some left.

• Locked thread