Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's someone on Gamefaqs translating pictures of the guide he can get. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/718564-metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain/72361094

Only big thing I can make out so far is that Skullface takes out Zero between Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain. Skullface injects him with a parasite that eats away at his brain and he's comatose by the time Phantom Pain takes place. In 1977 he goes to Big Boss(in a coma) and says goodbye. Sometime before he goes comatose he creates the AIs to take over.
EDIT: Sounds like Zero was actually protecting Big Boss. The attack on Motherbase in Ground Zeroes was all Skulface's idea, he calls in Ocelot to watch over Big Boss as he's in a coma, he gave Miller money to start up Motherbase again for Big Boss' eventual return, ect.
EDIT: Parasites are the nanomachines of the 80's. The skull soldiers(and Quiet who is related to them) are powered by parasites, there's some parasite "language" that Code Talker invented, maybe something about parasites infecting people's vocal cords.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mokinokaro posted:

You know we're not looking at one detail: some gameplay videos have Snake with the big chunk of whatever sticking through his skull and some don't. Given that, I actually wouldn't be surprised if the clone thing is true BUT at some point we switch to the real Big Boss.

We know there's at least one significant enough timeskip (probably a year at least) for D-Dog to grow into an adult.

No, D-Dog doesn't grow like a real dog. It looks like it's just a couple ingame weeks for him to grow up. It's just like building new MB struts.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The game takes place in 1984, around the start of the AIDS epidemic.

The "weapon to surpass Metal Gear™" is obviously HIV.

This is actually pretty close if the weapon to surpass Metal Gear is the parasites. Oh man I really hope Kojima doesn't link that poo poo with aids.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think you guys are looking for clues where there are none.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope it's like Peace Walker in that you have to use Big Boss the first time for main missions but after you can use other soldiers if you want. And there are also side missions that can't be done by Big Boss.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TheMostFrench posted:

The KFP lets play shows you getting DD in like the second mission of the game, which is heaps earlier than Africa, like in the official game play demos. I wonder how long it will take for DD to grow up and become usable?

The guard AI already looks better than GZ.

e: I wonder if you go around knocking your guys out on MB all the time, will there be anyone to defend if it gets attacked?

Motherbase isn't the one that gets attacked, it's your FOB(Forward Operating Base).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uh, if you say so. If MB gets attacked I think it'd be a story mission.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
One of the guys spoiling stuff on Gamefaqs said the first part of the E3 2015 trailer with the blood is the first ending of the game. I guess the leak that said you'd have to kill everyone in your own Motherbase might be true.

EDIT: Yeah the italian guide says that the parasites that mutate vocal cords infects Motherbase and you have to kill everyone to prevent an epidemic.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 24, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's no way Big Boss is Skullface. It's probably a metaphor thing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder if ZEKE is still at the bottom of the ocean in Phantom Pain. Maybe the new Metal Gear is built with some of its parts?

EDIT: According to the Neogaf spoiler thread there's a mission to recover the AI Pod from Peace Walker, so I guess Skullface got ZEKE out of the ocean.
Also about the new Metal Gear: the cockpit is so small that only a child can pilot it.
EDIT: About Volgin: He isn't an illusion. His body was found after MGS3 and was kept alive, though he's brain dead. He's being controlled by Psycho Mantis in Phantom Pain.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 25, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There are a ton of streams right now of people who have the game early. Konami keeps pulling them down but I saw one and saw the first 10 minutes of the hospital sequence. It raises a lot of questions.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^Damnit

Welp, somebody finally unlocked Mission 46 and spilled the beans. The Neogaf post is too big to copy/paste so I'll just link it MASSIVE SPOILERS OF THE WHOLE PLOT http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176512519&postcount=3508

A lot of people aren't gonna like this but it seems like it's done pretty well so whatever. It's not like it changes the amazing gameplay at all anyway.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Kojima linked Phantom Pain to MG1 better than I thought he would. Of course he had to retcon a few things but whatever. The ending of MGS4 makes more sense now too.

EDIT:

Funky Valentine posted:

tl;dr The Emmerich family is cursed.

FTFY

RatHat fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 25, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nakar posted:

There's some contradictory information that needs to get cleared up though. One spoiler claims Big Boss set up Outer Heaven on his own, but then for some reason sent Solid Snake to kill his phantom, while another insinuates that Venom decides to continue being Big Boss and sets up Outer Heaven himself. In the former case, what was Big Boss's actual objective? In the latter, I guess that means Gray Fox was ACTUALLY captured in Outer Heaven, and held prisoner by the Fake Big Boss? It raises so many more questions about the first two Metal Gear games than it answers. :psyduck:

Er, where did you hear the first spoiler? Cause that makes no sense.
EDIT: Oh, in the ending scroll. I think that's just a typo.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 25, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Either the former or a typo I'm guessing. I'm sure Kojima will clear it up on twitter post release or a patch will go through to fix the typo.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A lot of people are not gonna like this twist, that's for sure.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nakar posted:

For example one thing that really jumps out at me is some of the flashbacks to the Mother Base attack are from angles that are slightly different from the ending of Ground Zeroes and appear to be from the POV of an individual who clearly isn't Big Boss because he's looking at Big Boss and Kaz. In the hospital thing, you go to all this trouble to create a face and then the doctor says "this is you" and shows you a mirror of Big Boss and then gets killed so it didn't matter what you put as your face because you're "supposed" to be Big Boss. If true, we're essentially playing as one of our S-Rank soldiers from Peace Walker.

You're playing as the medic. He's not special or anything, he just happened to be in the right place and the right time(or wrong place and time). I think him being voiced by Keifer in Ground Zeroes is just an easter egg that hints at the twist.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

As much as I really dislike the thought of this ending, it still does make Big Boss become a demon.

By manipulating the medic to become Venom Snake, he's become no better than Hot Coldman or Zero or any of the bureaucrats in Washington. He's the ultimate hypocrite.

Yeah, not to mention he left Zero in the first place because of the clones. But now he's basically doing the same thing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do we still not know the reason for Quiet's clothes? The most believable theories I've seen are it's because of the parasites not liking sweat, despite this not making sense. Or because being set on fire by Ishmael traumatized her.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

quote:

I'm 100% convinced that Kojima has done this to sabotage Konami from carrying the series forward, that I'm not complaining about because after this the series is dead anyway.
Why gently caress over the fans though? Why create this peice of poo poo storyline? There was literally NO NEED to do this, he already had the lore established, he only had to create a game showing us the story he'd already laid out. He has blatantly deceived fans for the sole purpose of loving Konami over.
gently caress that man, I hope his wife took a poo poo in his birthday cake yesterday.

The guy is another Peter Molyneux, hypes things up so much, the whole world trembles when it all falls apart.

Some people in the Neogaf thread are very angry.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Turns out a story isn't very good when read as just bullet points. How shocking.

vvv Are you serious? MGS3's story is widely considered to be the best in the series.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 25, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Speedball posted:

For what it's worth, the shrapnel-horn looks just like the spikes that shoot out of the ground when Metal Gear S smashes the ground with its whipsword.

A horn looks like a spike? Wow how amazing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How exactly did he sabotage it? I don't remember that part about Peace Walker. Was it in a tape?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

That doesn't explain anything, or even say he sabotaged it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought he was a legit doctor. Either it's a big coincidence or Kojima paid him to do it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Considering their outfits are exactly the same, down to the necklaces, I'm gonna say that's a hallucination.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's a guy on Gamefaqs summarizing tapes as he listens to them. Only interesting thing so far is Chico's fate is explained: He died in the helicopter crash. RIP

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That doesn't sound very credible. Sounds like a fan theory to "fix" a bad twist.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Broseph Brostar posted:

This is the part that doesn't make sense. Eventually in MG, Big Boss starts giving Snake false intel on his codec, like leading him into traps.

It's a retcon. We already knew there would be some.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Danaru posted:

Does anyone know if there's free roam after the storyline, or does the game end for good after the final mission?

I'm guessing it time warps back to before the final mission, since you kill your entire base. It'd be a real dick move if you had to rebuild Motherbase again after that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

What's the deal with the flare grenades? I throw one in an open spot and the chopper arrives then turns around and goes and lands somewhere else?

Did you also tell it to go to a landing zone? There's only one chopper.

Also wrong thread.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BenRGamer posted:

I just realized if you don't really play as Big Boss, needing a Russian interpreter is a big hint at that, rather than the shrapnel in the brain people were talking about :aaa:

I guess? It's a thing that happens in the real world though. People have even gotten different accents due to brain damage.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So that big plot twist seems cool and all but is there any really goofy stuff in this game?

Like i'm not expecting Peace Walker things like Monster Hunter fights or ghost photography, but i'm hoping there's still some good ol-fashioned silliness in this video game.

Have you not seen videos of the new boxes? Don't worry there's plenty of silly stuff.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The guy on the left is the pilot I guess?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Apparently the entire resolution of Eli, the children and ST-84 was cut from the final release of the game but they included everything they had concerning the mission on the collector's edition bonus disk for people to see?

Wait, what? Didn't Konami delay the release date even though the game was pretty much done like half a year ago? How could there be unfinished content?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vikar Jerome posted:

playing through ground zeroes i just noticed snakes shadow is clearly the shadow of the medic. doesnt even have a mullet. first i figured it was because my shadows were not on extra high but it still does it.

You have to provide a screenshot with a claim like this.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BurnBlackJay posted:

Boss ,,, those are just kids, DOAN HURT THEM

*smashes one whit a metal crutch when return*

He goes so quick from "murder those kids so we can get paid boss" to "they're just kids, don't even scratch them."

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sylink posted:

Does Solid Snake not know he is Big Boss's clone until MGS1?

I replayed it and I think so but he is pretty aloof/doesnt seem to give a gently caress about it. Also MGS1 is really hard to play these days. Even MGS2 is a VAST improvement in controls.

There's a retcon in MGS1 that Big Boss told him about the clone thing during their fight in MG2.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

PS3 is the only console that can play all canon MGS.

Which means it's the master console.

(Stop looking at my 30fps TPP dammit)

I'm still mad about all the Subsistence stuff not being in the HD collection. RIP Secret Theater and Monkey shooting(Skateboarding was dumb).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
In retrospect Miller was 100% right about Quiet, DD just got lucky that she was charmed by the boss.

EDIT: Do they ever explain her eye shadow thing? Is it just supposed to be like what Football/Baseball players do to reduce glare?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 23, 2015

• Locked thread