Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RatHat posted:

There are a ton of streams right now of people who have the game early. Konami keeps pulling them down but I saw one and saw the first 10 minutes of the hospital sequence. It raises a lot of questions.

Yeah, someone uploaded one of them to Youtube.

HUGE loving EARLY GAME SPOILERS, DON'T WATCH UNLESS YOU DON'T MIND.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qgeu7Bk-o0&feature=youtu.be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I wonder if that's fake, since it isn't using the revised Outer Heaven logo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

the wildest rear end posted:

Yeah I don't see why they would use the old logo

It reeks of half truths to me, just to rile up the fanbase.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

As much as I really dislike the thought of this ending, it still does make Big Boss become a demon.

By manipulating the medic to become Venom Snake, he's become no better than Hot Coldman or Zero or any of the bureaucrats in Washington. He's the ultimate hypocrite.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RatHat posted:

Yeah, not to mention he left Zero in the first place because of the clones. But now he's basically doing the same thing.

Reminds me of something he says in MGS 4.

"Under certain conditions someone can be made to play a specific role. Act like someone else. Cats do love to play as snakes."

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MGS 3's story is pretty lovely, but the emotional gutpunch it provides makes it seem amazing.

Also I just had a dumb thought about a certain non-canon Metal Gear game.

Could Snake's Revenge be VENOM Snake's revenge? With this revelation, they could easily turn a non-canon spinoff into an interquel between the first two Metal Gear games now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The more I think about this twist, the more that Big Boss comes off as the biggest piece of poo poo in the series. He truly did become a demon but not in the way any of us expected. It also makes me view the MGS 4 ending in a new light, where instead of feeling happy that Solid and Big Boss reconciled at the end, now I just feel angry and bitter towards Big Boss.

Which I suppose, is the point of the game. Cycles of revenge and all that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

MGS3s story is bad but entertaining. I mean, it all hinges on "no one could have known Volgin would have fired the nukes!" Really? No one considered that a crazy lightning man might fire a nuke if you give him one?

I thought Hot Coldman was the one who sabotaged the operation somehow, making Volgin fire the nukes so Big Boss would be sent in to kill The Boss?

Yes, I'm aware that's a retcon but still.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Well who knows what's canon in POOPS. Either way it's dumb because Eva wouldn't have known about that. On the surface Volgin doing what he did is exactly what you would expect.

Hot Coldman is from Peace Walker. That game is most definitely canon, not broad strokes canon like POOPS.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

I haven't played Portable Ops in a long time, but I remember something along those lines being a retcon from Portable Ops. I wasn't aware it was referenced again later.

Either way, still dumb.

POOPS hinted that there was more about Operation Snake Eater than Big Boss knew about, but Peace Walker was the game that explicitly says Hot Coldman wanted The Boss dead and sabotaged the operation so Snake would have to kill her.

RatHat posted:

How exactly did he sabotage it? I don't remember that part about Peace Walker. Was it in a tape?

It's not really stated how he did it, just that he wanted The Boss dead and orchestrated Operation Snake Eater.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 25, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

There's still apparently a third ending which hasn't been leaked yet, one a few reviewers mentioned which completely twists the twist itself up on it's head and it becomes fourth wall breaking. So I don't think anyone has the full story yet.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Danaru posted:

The true ending is that Metal Gear has been one long simulation to create the perfect soldier. The player is the true Big Boss, and it ends with an invitation to Kojima's offshore fortress.

For serious talk, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it involved child Mantis somehow. In Metal Gear Solid 1 and 4, he's always broken the fourth wall whenever he's involved. He's in Metal Gear Solid 5 yet there is seemingly nothing fourth wall breaking. I wouldn't be surprised if the twist is that Mantis is twisting Big Bosses memories to think he isn't Big Boss, or somehow influencing him to the point he blames a fictitious Venom Snake for his actions before the game then ends with Big Boss questioning what was real or not and basically repeating the same message at the end of Metal Gear Solid 2.

If it really is as simple as the twist that was leaked and nothing more, then it's too obvious by Kojima standards and ultimately a little disappointing and one hell of a retcon too since the members of FOXHOUND and Solidus Snake idolized someone who wasn't even Big Boss.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

For me, I don't see why that's disappointing. When we played MGS, Big Boss was just a name to us anyway. (I'm sure some had played the MSX versions, but I think good MSX emulators came a bit later). (NES too, granted)

It changes things, it's a twist... but for me it seems kind of cool, and not inherently disappointing. Though I'll have to play it myself and see how it plays out.

It just seems pointlessly stupid and opens up more plotholes than it closes.
I love the idea of Venom Snake not being Big Boss, but the idea of Venom Snake being the one who created Outer Heaven instead of Big Boss raises serious questions, from the practical like "how the gently caress did Solid Snake not notice the difference between a man who has no shrapnel in his head and a man who does and is claiming to be Big Boss" to some of the stuff Big Boss says at the end of MGS 4 more or less being retconned as well, saying it'll mark the third time Solid Snake will have erased him when it'd really only be the second.

Buuuut I think the NeoGAF leak is pretty suspect anyway. There's a couple of things the leaker mentions which don't even match up fully with what was in the leaked guide, or even Ground Zeroes for that matter. Like if the parasites reacted that badly to water that anyone infected by them is in visible pain and Skull Face only survived thanks to those parasites, how the hell was he able to walk around in Ground Zeroes in the rain?

So yeah, I'm calling bullshit on the NeoGAF leak unless Kojima really is a terrible writer that he forgot what was in the own prequel set up to the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

According to a stream going on right now, Quiet has the parasites but water actually gives her a healing factor. It doesn't hurt her like the NeoGAF leak claimed.

So yes, the NeoGAF leak seems 95% bullshit now. There might be some elements of truth to it but the leaker is taking things completely out of context if that is the case.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

Are you telling me these leaks are all... orchestrated!?

By The Patriots, yes.

I knew there was something up with how the leaker described how the parasites work, because Skull Face would be crippled during the events of Ground Zeroes otherwise. I'm not overly angry though, the ruse of fake spoilers is more fun than what will actually be in the game if you ask me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DrNutt posted:

That makes the outfit thing make a hell of a lot more sense than the sweat thing. Outfit's still stupid though.

She's basically like... The End, really. Water and sunlight gives her a healing factor plus a badass sniper. Except The End didn't need to be almost naked to take advantage of it, so the outfit is just Kojima being dumb.

Mokinokaro posted:

This is supposedly the "true ending" twist:

Vemon Snake IS Big Boss. The surgery to swap places with Ishmael never happened due to Quiet's interruption. The game hints they swapped places a lot, partly because due to the damage Snake himself has self doubt about it and he apparently is acting somewhat out of character to Kaz/Ocelot. Supposedly the true ending is him meeting Ishmael who tells the whole truth. And Venom was using the fact he might be a body double to excuse a lot of the poo poo he does in the game, so realizing he's the real deal and has to face the consequences fucks him up mentally.

Honestly if it's true, that's actually pretty drat clever.

That's the kind of twist I am expecting honestly. There's a lot of fake outs but, no, I think the true third ending is going to be something along those lines but more fourth wall breaking and something like Spec Ops: The Line, where Venom Snake is literally the player who controlled Big Boss and made him comply with his own horrible actions.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The third ending has been discovered.

It's basically Big Boss talking to Venom and saying that even though he's not Big Boss, he is Big Boss through memes and they are in a sense, the same person despite not being the same person. He's basically calling out to the player, saying his actions and experiences make you just as much of Big Boss as he is. More or less the same kind of deal MGS 2's message was.

Except MGS 2's message was handled a lot better, because the leak about Venom being the one at Outer Heaven is apparently true as well and that just raises so many questions and plotholes with the rest of the games.

Got to be honest, I really don't like the story in this one.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Harrow posted:

The only part of all this that bothers me is the part where Venom Snake made Outer Heaven. All of the rest is basically what I expected ever since the game's reveal and the moment in the hospital where Kaz says, "What about him?" I think it's a pretty good twist there. But Venom Snake taking Big Boss's role in MG1 is just silly.

Maybe it plays out a lot better in the actual game. One way to find out, I guess!

Actually Big Boss is creating Outer Heaven during the events of MGS 5, he gives it to Venom at the end to run. Why does he send Solid Snake to kill Venom? gently caress knows. I don't think Kojima put much thought into it beyond there needing to be a twist for the sake of it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kaz also gives up his dreams of building something like MSF/Outer Heaven when he realizes Venom is basically BB 2.0. Hence "A visionary robbed of his future". The whole Ocelot making himself forget thing is also why he's called "A rival living a lie". So Solid Snake is Kaz's last hope to stop the Patriots and Big Boss and in the end, he's proven right even after he dies before the events of MGS 1 take place.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Danaru posted:

So wait, Was Big Boss also in a coma, or just Venom? Is it only Venom that's a cyborg?

They both were but Venom was in a much longer one. Only Venom is a cyborg yeah.

Also early game spoilers but you recruit Madnar in one of the missions. He's a bionics expert, which is probably the games way of explaining why Madnar's Metal Gears was less technically impressive compared to ZEKE or Sahelanthropus since he's not strictly speaking an expert on robotics.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Momomo posted:

Seems almost like the big twist was written specifically to answer the question of how Kaz and Ocelot end up on opposite sides, and Kaz is against Big Boss. I also find it funny that Ocelot ends up betraying himself just so he can help Big Boss keep this ruse. That's the good poo poo.

As for people calling Big Boss a dick, what makes you say that? Kaz has apparently been a traitor this whole time anyway, so I can't say I feel bad if he gets betrayed.

Kaz felt remorse for siding with Cipher during the events of Peace Walker after MSF got destroyed. He also was forced to keep quiet about the manipulation Big Boss and Ocelot did to Venom which is enough to make Big Boss a horrible monster to begin with, frankly not to mention Big Boss completely betrays his ideals and manipulates a soldier as a tool for him to use and dispose of. Kaz also watches in horror as Big Boss goes from wanting to make a mercenary nation to wanting to engulf the world in eternal war and utilizing child soldiers to do so. That's why he sides with Venom, because he finally realized how mad Big Boss is. But then Venom starts adopting the same ideals as Big Boss, so he decides to train Solid Snake and put his last hope in him for stopping both Zero and Big Boss.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It honestly feels like the ending and twists were made in mind for the next games being a Metal Gear 1, 2 and Solid remake respectively so they'd adapt into this game's canon better. Except because of what's going on with Konami, that isn't going to happen.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nakar posted:

One could still kinda get around this. One possibility is that Big Boss wanted Snake to fail, not kill Venom. If Venom never betrays Big Boss (I'm not sure if it's clear whether he's running Outer Heaven for Big Boss or himself), then it makes sense for Big Boss to get desperate as Snake gets closer to succeeding and try to gently caress him over by telling him to go to places where he knows there are traps (since he built Outer Heaven and Venom would be in contact with him). Another would be to just say Venom had or cracked the radio/codec frequency and started posing as Big Boss, lying to Snake and exploiting the fact that he's taking orders from "Big Boss," a man he's literally a double of.

I think the most logical conclusion is that the two continue to work together, because if Snake was supposed to succeed in Outer Heaven then he'd inevitably have to confront Venom and the whole "oh oops Big Boss runs Outer Heaven" thing would get out. If Big Boss was concerned about clearing up the loose end of a double he'd just tell Snake "Be careful, the guy behind Outer Heaven has had himself modified to look like me and exploit my legend, but you'll know he's not me because he has a cyborg left arm and a huge scar/horn on his forehead." So I get the sense Snake was never supposed to succeed, as Metal Gear 1 implied, meaning Big Boss fully intended to keep the secret of his double.

In which case, where the hell does Gray Fox fit into it? He was doing stuff with the real Big Boss in parallel to Venom Snake taking down Skull Face and the story is that Big Boss already sent Gray Fox to Outer Heaven who was then captured by Venom. So what the hell was his plan exactly? To have everyone fail until FOXHOUND ran out of operatives to send?

The whole thing just makes no sense and that's why I'm not a fan of it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

One of the streams got the first ending.

This game honestly does not look that fun. It's kind of amazing how much the marketing trailers made the game look more fun than it actually is. It's just constant grinding like in Peace Walker except instead of it being bite sized it's in a very bland open world that honestly reminds me of Ubisoft open world games.

Kind of glad I got a cheap NVIDIA key honestly.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mr E posted:

You've unraveled the mystery

No, I know what happens with the postgame and other endings. I'm talking entirely about the gameplay here, it doesn't look all that fun. The boss fights don't look very fun either, some of them seem more irritating than Peace Walker's vehicle battles.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

a cop posted:

How is the gameplay in any way worse than mgs1/2/3

Well for one you didn't have stupid amounts of grinding to do, filler missions to unlock the next plot snippet, an open world which doesn't look to justify the game being open world or mother base development taking up to an hour real time to complete research in MGS 1, 2, 3 or 4 and Peace Walker was much faster paced about all that stuff.

It looks like it's wearing out its welcome pretty quickly and the streamer is getting pretty bored by it and he just reached the first ending.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CrashCat posted:

It's a playground with a lot of toys. You have to make your own fun with them, so if you're not creative then you're going to be bored. The game has a director that covers tactics you used frequently to try and encourage creativity. You probably wouldn't have liked the original Deus Ex either.

The core stealth mechanics is fine, but the level design if you will looks to be hot garbage which is something Deus Ex always was good on and to even unlock those toys you mention in the first place, it involves ridiculous amounts of grinding and wasting time. Much moreso than Peace Walker which like I said, was bite sized.

On a different note, I cannot get over how terrible Skull Face's voice actor is. It's making me laugh just listening to it.

http://webmshare.com/1L7Xg

Just look at this.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nakar posted:

One of the loading screen tips says soldiers can perform above their ratings if staff morale is high. How that works specifically I don't know.

Soldiers can get infected by the parasite, which lowers morale. When that happens, you need to put soldiers who are infected and speak the same languages in quarantine.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

Been posted on some sites but the stream got to the end and the tape from the trailer which had "the man who sold the world" on it? on the back it says operation intrude n313. And he plays the tape through a loving msx.

Funnily enough in ground zeroes there is a msx tape you can pick up, nothing but msx data on it. Could this be the big transfer thing? Obvious hype levels are making me think a side op mission remake of mg1, others think it will unlock this elusive 3rd ending but no one will know until the transfer servers are online they claim.

But doesnt the console versions just read the save file i heard? Confused on this.

Yeah, I saw that. The context does make the true ending a bit better I guess, but I still wouldn't say it's good exactly. I wonder if the MSX tape you transfer over unlocks an extra mission, mission 51 called Operation Intrude N313 and it's a remake of Metal Gear 1, using the altered geography of Camp Omega as Outer Heaven.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Soooo... apparently there's rumour going round of a 16gb patch on day 1?

That just seems like something people who hate the ending wish to believe. I've no doubt there will be a day one patch, but I doubt it's that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That cut mission makes the ending make a lot more sense. I can't believe that got cut, while something stupid like a nearly naked Quiet splashing around in the rain with Venom in a cringeworthy scene managed to make it in. The more I play the game, the more convinced I am Kojima spent most of the time just jerking off.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The game's story feeling incomplete is precisely why I'm not so hot on this game. I've no idea why the main selling point of the game, the point where you actually devolve into evil regardless if it were Big Boss or Venom, was cut. If Konami decided to do that then gently caress them for being such idiots.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Before going into the game, I heard that Episodes 1-30 was part 1 and 31-50 was part 2. I was expecting a full second chapter detailing his fall since his vengeance conquest was over. Due to the trailers (realizing I hadn't seen a lot of the content such as the napalmed village/hallway with the horn growing/shooting your own soldiers in mother base and various other scenes hinting at a villainous plot line), it was just a perfect concoction of disappointment.

Great game, but the story really feels like only half of it was told. The most disappointing thing about that is, we're never going to get that "second part". I'm assuming that the budget was an issue leading to cut content eventually leading to Kojima walking out, I just don't understand why they wouldn't release Phantom Pain part 1 and part 2.

If they held off on releasing Ground Zeroes, they could have easily reworked the story and released Ground Zeroes+Hospital+Afghanistan (kill Skullface in part 1) where Big Boss is the hero while Part 2 would have been Africa+that island seen in Episode 51 detailing his downfall, selling both for $60.

I'd rather have that than have the story feel unfinished.

The whole thing just makes me feel like the game wasted my time. And yeah, the game is fun, up until Chapter 2. Then you just grind the same missions you've done over and over again but it's slightly harder but you don't even notice it's harder because by then you have more tools at your disposal meaning it's arguably easier than doing the mission the first time around.

It's not a bad game. I wouldn't even say it's a mediocre one. But I don't think it deserves the 9/10 or 10/10 it's been getting. To me it's a solid 8 at most, perhaps even a bit lower just because of how the story irritates me. Which has nothing to do with the concept of the twist itself (I like the idea of it), but the really shoddy execution of it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Now I'm wondering if there's a dumb Easter Egg if at the beginning of TPP, you name yourself Vernon CaTaffy.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

You learn the twist right away, then play through the whole prologue again, and then see new stuff, yeah.

It sucks because the story pacing wasn't bad for Chapter 1, and then you hit Chapter 2 and half of the missions are just padded, hard-mode versions of older ones. So many of the main missions just felt generic, when they could have been doing those in side ops and using the main missions to do a ton of work with the story.

I actually liked Skull Face and his crazy plan, but there was no reason he couldn't have been working with Zero. Hell, there's still half a game left after he dies and there really isn't a good reason why Cipher even exists. If Skull Face is dead and Zero is a brain-damaged invalid, who is even running things? How does the Patriot AI get started? What are the other Patriots doing the whole time? What the hell does Liquid do with Sehalanthropus and that English parasite between this and MGS1?

I almost hope Konami makes another MGS to wrap things up / remake MG1 /2 using the same engine and just plugging in the holes in what Kojima has already created. Any half-decent writer could do a serviceable enough job I feel - this game was already a pretty big departure from his usual style.

I'm really, really, really glad you said that. I've voiced the same issues you have in the Steam Thread and I got shot down for wanting to hate the game and I'm just dumb or something when I'm not, I do like the game a lot, I just don't think it's GOTY material. But it's a disappointing game and I kind of expected more than what we got and the twist feels kind of hollow when neither Big Boss nor Venom fall truly villainous. The stuff on the Collectors Edition blu-ray which I'm told by everyone is not cut content but rather unused concepts so I'm an idiot for expecting it to be in the game, would have done that nicely I think and given the twist the real emotional gutpunch it needed.

So I'm glad it's not just me who feels this way, especially since for the supposedly final Metal Gear Solid game by Kojima before Konami do a reboot or something, it didn't really deliver what the trailers promised. But it's still a fun game.

Although to answer your questions about who is running The Patriots once Zero is a vegetable, there's a tape where he mentions he left everything to Sigint and he built the AIs alongside the work Strangelove already did. So blame Ocelot for making the AIs the defacto leader of The Patriots instead of being subservient to Sigint when he killed him during Shadow Moses I guess.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 4, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

I'm actually surprised that I'm not playing it as much as I thought I would. I am kind of annoyed at how much of a chore it can be to get around. And some things just feel pointless. What's the point of limiting suppressors when you can just call for more anyways.

I do think big boss is pretty drat evil for manipulating people like that.

Yeah but not in the same way he does in MG 2. Like what drove him to resort to using and killing child soldiers? That's still unanswered in the game as it stands.

I do really like the idea of the twist even if the execution is lacking. Big Boss falls from grace by being a hypocrite and going with Zero's plan to manipulate the medic as a tool, while preaching how Outer Heaven is a place by soldiers for soldiers and they wouldn't be used as tools like governments would.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Under the vegetable posted:

you and anyone saying similar things to you is insane and i don't understand what the hell is going on. i like metal gear ok and all but this is legit the best video game i have ever played.

Under the vegetable posted:

saint's row 3 was unfinished and unsatisfying. this game could do whatever and i'd still love it forever. it's actually fun and interesting.

Did you reach the second half of the game yet? That's precisely where I think the game is unfinished. If you have and you still think reusing missions from the first half but now harder when the plot in the missions no longer makes sense to the overall plot then I dunno what to say.

The game kind of wasted my time because while it's a game I enjoyed playing, it's not the one I wanted to play nor was it the one it was really advertised as being. As it's own thing in a vacuum, it's a fun but flawed game. As part of the Metal Gear series of which I'm a huge fan of, I kind of went into it with expectations the game never really delivered on.

EDIT

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The more I think about it the more I dig the ending.

That last tape from Big Boss to Venom is Kojima talking directly to the player. The true hero of Metal Gear has never been some fictional supersoldier, it's been you. You're responsible for all those perfect infiltrations and quick decisions, as well as all the fuckups where you get shotgunned to pieces by the guards. It also fits in nicely with the MG saga's fourth wall busting tendencies, and refines what MGS2 was saying about Raiden as player surrogate. Also, I love that the final Metal Gear game completely fucks up the already bullshit canon for the sake of making a philosophical point.

The only real downer for me was that my avatar looked nothing like me. I tried my best with that face editor, but it'd have been a truly brilliant ending if Venom had looked into the mirror and actually saw 'me' looking back at him.

My problem with this is that it flies against what MGS 2 was saying. You're right in that it parallels MGS 2 with Raiden being the audience surrogate, but at the end of that game he renounces player control by throwing away your dog tags with your name on them, becoming his own individual person with his own life, deciding what he should do with the experiences he's had through the game. He started to break away from player control since the beginning of Arsenal. Instead of an everyday random Joe rookie, he had a much darker child soldier past. MGS V has the exact opposite message, where the player is Big Boss and he contributed to the legend just as much as Naked Snake did himself and you should congratulate yourself on being so awesome and it really rubs me the wrong way.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 4, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

Thing is though, he did the exact same poo poo in peace walker only about 100 times more annoying so i doubt it was that unfinished. Pw had you replaying missions/extra ops and then go hunt this guy down, repeat 7 times for the true ending!

True, but I think it worked better in Peace Walker because it was a portable game. You could play in bite sized chunks, a few missions at a time before you go do something else. At least, before the HD release of the game anyway. Whereas with MGS V, you've got to expend a lot of time and energy into the game, which is now open world for what is essentially the same kind of structure Peace Walker had.

It also helps that in Peace Walker, a lot of the side ops were frontloaded in the post-game, so you'd do a bunch of them, Zardonov escapes and you track him down, repeat until the true final boss happens whilst in MGS V it's the main story missions that get repeated but now harder to do, just to progress further into the second chapter and I think that makes all the difference.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think my feelings on MGS V are extremely bipolar. I think it's both a great game and a bad one that somehow went vastly overbudget and doesn't feel overly finished. The thing is, I have to wonder if that duality is intentional because it perfectly mirrors Big Boss and Venom. Angry and betrayed, but still happy enough to play the role and keep the deception going and considering Venom is supposed to be a self-insert, it probably is intentional. Maybe.

I loathe the stupid pointless retcons, parasites being the new nanomachines and pretty much everything to do with Skull Face's backstory and the twist just raises questions about MG 1 and more than ever shows that game really needs a remake. The twist also lacks the emotional gutpunch needed for it to be executed well I think, even though I love the concept of the twist and the implications it has. The second half of the game uses copypaste missions from the first half but now harder over environments you've already been to but what you do in the missions make absolutely no sense to the story of the second half. I'm not going to say for definite that the game is unfinished because I got enough of Goons being angry at me for assuming that, but it definitely feels unfinished to me at least.

But on the other side of things, I really love the gameplay and attention to detail. You've got so many options to sneak through regions and guard posts and so many rather silly and maybe a little pointless but still fun things to do. Building up Diamond Dogs was just as satisfying as building up MSF was in Peace Walker, moreso even since you can walk along and explore the fruits of your labor. The world is very beautiful and I love how simple things like time of day or weather conditions changes how you approach missions.

The best way I'd personally describe the game is schizophrenic. It has conflicting identities and somewhat cleverly, that's reflected in the meta-narrative of the game itself, with Venom being Big Boss but also not Big Boss. But at the same time I'm not sure if the meta-narrative works as well here as it did with MGS 2. I'm also someone who played MGS 2 when it released and went in totally blind yet unlike many people the twists and subversions of that game never bothered me much. Which is why I'm kind of baffled at my own feelings towards MGS V for attempting something similar.

Sorry for the blog style post, but more than anything MGS V confuses me and I want to know if it's just me being dumb or if others feel the same way towards the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

It would've required rendering a three-way battle in a much more graphically intensive environment than the intentionally stripped-down space used for the other Metal Gear fights, with at least as many units, including vehicles, as appear at any other point in the game.

That said, yes, the problem was that the final scenario as written was a) way over budget (I suspect a lot of this game was cut for budgeting purposes, given the anemic nature of things like Mother Base) b) not particularly doable given system constraints, and c) really stupid, even compared with other stuff the game does, writing-wise. Several plot beats come out of nowhere, it uses the get-out-of-writing-free card that is psychic kid voodoo five different ways, and it doesn't actually resolve anything or explain anything.

...how many emotionally vulnerable psychic children have piloted metal gears by this point? How many poorly developed Evil Government Men have they killed to set up final boss fights?

I wonder if developing for last gen systems too crippled the game. I refuse to believe that final chapter couldn't be done on PS4, Xbone or PC. But I could believe it wouldn't work on PS3 and 360.

• Locked thread