Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

MGS V the best MGS game is only 80% finished.....incredible.....

Sometimes an unfinished work can be more interesting than if it were finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Clearly Kojima needs to make a new team in the same way Big Boss did

Fulton

But what will he do about the former KojiPro employees that are wandering around E3 in a rabid fugue state!!??

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

They're uh, self sufficient mercenaries for hire doing wetwork without any care for ideology or morality. They're not good guys.

Are you telling me the organization based on kidnapping random people and brainwashing them into a cult of personality might not be paragons of virtue?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Full Battle Rattle posted:

This would be pretty amazing, making the entire fanbase across the world work towards 'nuclear disarmament', a powerful theme throughout the series. With the way the rules are set up, only the very heroic even have a crack at loving with nuke-havers, requiring them to take it upon themselves to 'save the world.'

Look all I know is that I'll be building myself a Nuke anyways eventually because there's a Trophy for it. After everyone else loses their own nukes I'll still have mine and conquer the loving world with the fear it brings.

Look on my nuke, ye Mighty, and despair.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I like how they set up destroying every single nuke in the world, and then the real Big Boss ends up being the one who brings them back into the world. Venom ends up being a better BB than the real Big Boss.

Yeah, that's a nice bit of irony. Reminds me a lot of Akira Kurosawa's Kagemusha.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

To be fair, the game kind of makes it clear that there isn't anyone else to call him out because he's surrounded by nothing but people that are just like him.

Now now, let's not forget about Dr. Huey Emmerich. Traitorous, self-serving shithead that he was, he does bring up valid points against Diamond Dogs, even if it is mixed in with nonsense like "Snake you're killing your own men? You monster!".

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Peace Walker has like hours of audio of people comparing Snake to Che Guevara, one of the most controversial figures in recent history. I think Kojima totally gets that people are going to have contradictory views of his characters, though I personally think he's critical of them while also understanding why them and their ideologies may be appealing, at least in the Big Boss games.

Peace Walker has MSF successfully acquiring a nuke and building a Metal Gear, after every previous MGS game was strongly anti-nuke and anti-giant robots of death. Phantom Pain has the "heroes" torture others after every previous MGS game had torture used against the protagonists. I don't think this was done without consideration of the larger themes of the franchise.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Agoat posted:

I understood it pretty clearly the first time Kaz told me not to kill the kids. But he didn't need to repeat it a hundred times.

"No ideology, no just cause... but save the kids, boss!"

Considering his character through the rest of the game, I thought Kaz might actually want Venom to go through with killing them. Fairly effective fakeout IMO.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Huey in TPP is the like the perfect role for Christopher Randolph to play. He may not be the best actor around, but that was the like some perfect merging of an actor and a part- he just sells the assholish, delusional nerd so wonderfully.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kaz: "We've done it Snake. We've disarmed all of the secret nukes. Now we can finally kill the 17th Colossus."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Speaking of MGS2, how come in the HD version you can randomly find "Metal Gear 2: Guns of Patriots" written on walls and such? Is that present in the original version or Substance?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'm glad your son hosed your wife and you drowned in the loving pool

Huey is actually worse than that. Hal was only a teenager at the time, and the step-mom came onto him. Huey would rather kill himself (And almost his step-daughter!) than help his own raped son. Seriously, gently caress Huey.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CJacobs posted:

So, your fantasy for MGS is just Assassin's Creed, then?

Doesn't have enough flag or feather collection to be Assassin's Creed.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Personally I'm kind of glad to see a game do something with permanency for once.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Aeris dying theoretically leaves a hole in your defenses since she was the closest thing FF7 had to a dedicated healer.

Gameplay wise though it's not as much of a loss as losing Quiet in MGSV. Quiet can literally S-Rank Metallic Archea [Extreme] on her own!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I like MGS1 and especially MGS2's stories the most. MGS3 is fine though its narrative is harmed by not trying to do anything especially ambitious for most of the game. PO is alright, didn't care much for the stories in MGS4, PW, or MGRR, and I liked MGSV's story quite a bit personally.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Snak posted:

Literally MGS3's only "flaw" is that it's a pretty straightforward, conventional spy story. This is part of the reason it's so emotionally effective, i think. The characters are the most relateable MGS characters have ever been. But compared to the craziness of all the other games, its story seems really "basic".

I don't think it's any more emotionally effective personally than MGS1 or MGS2, though that isn't to say it is ineffective. I just find the whole "scene" theme to be far less substantive than the metafictional aspects of MGS2, and it doesn't have the strong sense of aesthetics in MGS1 either.

Ruddha posted:

lol mgs3 is perhaps tied with dark souls as the perfect game of time

I like Dark Souls a lot but its pretty flawed, particularly with communicating information to the player.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 16, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blah, I meant scene, not meme. Derp.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

That's another case of something that is objectively 'bad' design that people consider an important part of the game, oddly enough. People actually get upset at the idea of Souls games changing that. The idea being that the act of discovery and the social aspects are a value-add.

I guess I just wish Dark Souls were slightly more self-contained. I get that appeal of working together to solve stuff, though that's very short-term. In 20 years if people want to see what the big deal about Dark Souls was, they'll probably just end up having to read a wiki or some equivalent in the future to learn important concepts in the game, like the poise stat being important to a certain early game boss.

Online components losing value over time too isn't a problem unique to Dark Souls though, at least on consoles.

Ruddha posted:

no the story telling is perfect and the kind of communication is perfect

I don't want to get too off-topic, but most of the storytelling is done through needlessly vague, non-diegetic Wikipedia articles. It's kind of lame.

The NPC sidequests mostly own though.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Snak posted:

I suppose Myst and Quest for Glory are flawed games too? Dark Souls only problems are in the menu interface.

I haven't played either of those so I can't comment too much.

What I understand of Myst though is that you find journals and other diegetic writing throughout the game that would actually exist in that game's world, and use those to solve puzzles. In Dark Souls, what are the paragraphs describing random helmets I'm picking up off of dead Hollows? Are they written down somewhere? Where is that information even coming from?

Myst is also advertised as a puzzle game, right? I think some level of obtuseness is actually expected there.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 16, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ocelot's function in MGSV, hilariously, is to be the voice of reason counterpart to Miller's paranoid insanity.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The medic died on the tanker, two years ago.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pwnstar posted:

Raiden is a man who outside forces tried to use to recreate the circumstances that made Solid Snake but he only becomes a true heroic figure after he rejects this and becomes his own man.

Doesn't Revengeance, if you accept it, show that this isn't necessarily the case? That entire game has Raiden ultimately not taking Solid Snake's ideals to heart by jumping back into battle and devolving back into "Jack the Ripper" (Even if his violent persona is directed at pretty awful people). Even the War Economy itself still exists and as strong as ever despite the Patriots being gone, with Metal Gears and the like still being made and running around.

I kind of get the feeling that if we kept on getting Metal Gear Rising games, Raiden would only continue to spiral downwards as a character much in the same way Big Boss did (Who is also called both Jack and even "Snake" as Raiden once was).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"GUEST STARRING THE SPETSNAZ COMMANDER" is still my favorite thing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

All of us must now compete to surpass Grizzled Patriarch and become...Big Grizzled Patriarch.

EDIT: I wonder if the analysis of Big Boss the internet has been doing is leaving out too much of what happens in GZ.

It's interesting that the last time we actually ever played as the "legendary" Big Boss, he/we completely and totally fails in his/our objective to such tragic proportions. The Chico/Paz tapes seem even darker now in retrospect, knowing that Camp Omega was really was the end for them.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 27, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

poptart_fairy posted:

Researched everything. Everything.

Ideas on what to do with the now redundant 220 strong team? :v:

If you have no need for them anymore, just kill them all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I have to imagine that Excelsus only being a Metal Gear in name is a jab at how Revengeance itself has little in common with the core gameplay of the previous Metal Gear games.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah, it does kind of feel like Ground Zeroes is preparing you for some other version of The Phantom Pain than the one we got, as much as I love the final product.

I got screwed over because of security cameras several times playing GZ, and they're almost a non-entity in TPP. Turning off the power to the admin building was something I would incorporate in several playthroughs of GZ, and I'm not sure it was ever really worthwhile to do in TPP. Camp Omega also seems to be a little more thoughtful of a map than any individual area in TPP.

Honestly I'm tempted to say GZ is actually the better game overall.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 28, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I knew about the cameras at the airport, though I never even realized OKB Zero had any and I just ran through there yesterday.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Last time I was there was for a side op, so that would explain why I guess.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

Different strokes for different folks. I'd take just about any area in TPP over GZ myself, and overall I find TPP to be about 200 times better.
I'd be curious to hear what areas in TPP you find to be better than Camp Omega and why.

In It For The Tank posted:

And there was real OSP, something that felt missing from TPP.
I agree with a lot of what you wrote to a degree. I think the Subsistence missions were meant to address this particular point, but even if they were flawless (They're not) there's still only two of them.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The foreshadowing for Zero being a villain happens in a canonical game called Portable Ops.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://youtu.be/hu1TJjWqg0s?t=756

So why exactly is Snake dying here?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In It For The Tank posted:

This is literally the reason why I never use D-Horse. The difference in height between "Snake can jump down safely" to "Snake dies instantly gently caress you" is too unclear (and crazy small, nothing about that jump looks fatal; at worst, it should injure D-Horse, not Snake) and with D-Horse it is way too easy to run off a ledge that's just a little too high.

Yeah, you would think it would just injure D-Horse.

It's happened to me in the same mission as Yong, and it's one of the few mechanics of the game that I just don't quite understand what the logic is supposed to be.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

-sigh- and people still think the checkpoint system isn't totally hosed, pssssh.......

Honestly that specific mission (And the Extreme Mode version I guess) is the only time I've really had an issue with the checkpoint system, or lack of it I guess. "Totally hosed" seems wrong to me.

Besides, the larger point is about D-Horse.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

By Peace Walker?

Granin dies in MGS3. Volgin puts him in a drum and beats the living poo poo out of him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Huey Emmerich is the Robert Durst of scientists.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A lot of people don't realize that Moby Dick himself also was a whale on fire, flew through the sky, and ate helicopters. Melville should sue Kojima imo.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"D-Horse is a donkey" made me laugh more than it should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

zedprime posted:

[Huey] was using fantastical story telling to try and keep reality consistent with whatever was going on in his hosed up mind.

So it other words, much like Kojima. He changes his story to fit the times, to fit whatever he's thinking. There are no facts to Kojima, only interpretations.

Seriously, I almost wonder if Huey is some kind of hosed up self-insert for Kojima himself. They both made Metal Gears for a living until they were fired, at least.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 3, 2015

• Locked thread