Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Kojima's master stroke is that our beloved Big Boss is actually some trash tier scrub medic who had an E in every stat
Fine by me as long as we teach him to kick rear end and destroy everything, really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dapper_Swindler posted:

or maybe everyone is secretly queequeg
Let it be this one

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Spoilers brought live to you from a special preview event

http://imgur.com/4Krk9i3

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

John Luebke posted:

This is from this year's E3 trailer:

That's interesting, and hard to spot because the light on the left looks normal and distracts from the curved darkness. Good catch

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Yikes, this thread is getting too full of spoilers; I'm out.
:byewhore:

oh wait

Katamari Democracy posted:

So how do you pronounce the name of the new Metal Gear?
D-walker Deluxe (with cheese)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Broseph Brostar posted:

Lolling at all these people in denial about playing the wrong protagonist, its like MGS2 all over again. Coincidentally, TPP is practically a direct prequel to MGS2.
Everyone Is Raiden

even Quiet

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

cargohills posted:

If Eli doesn't turn out to be Raiden I'll be very disappointed
Eli is actually Rose and pesters you the entire game asking if you know what day tomorrow is

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

It does smack of the kind of ruse Kojima likes. The player can't know what the character he's playing remembers. So an inexperienced player assumes all the tapes and poo poo strewn about to fill in their knowledge as the player are just for that purpose alone. If the player is a veteran of the series, they're surprised when the character doesn't know something they think he should know, but they probably chalk it up to filling in players who know less about the series. The people the character talks to most often aren't surprised either, because they're in on the ruse, and if the player catches that they dismiss it as a minor continuity error. loving with the player like that is so very MGS.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

blackguy32 posted:

Lol, while I think these events are disappointing, I am not going to be mad about it. But I wonder what happened to the other Patriots? Do they just decide to keep going on despite not knowing/knowing about Zero?
What other Patriots?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mr E posted:

Well I mean the story sounds pretty lovely on paper, but it's going to be really entertaining because Kojima so who cares.
It gives me another way to think about all of the poo poo I'm going to see, so I like the twist a lot. It's kind of a cliche twist, sure, but that's never stopped him before. Seeing the little awkward spots that you would normally just ignore will mean a lot more to me armed with that spoiler, even if it turns out to be complete bullshit.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The wikia edit war over the BB spoiler is really heating up:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mr. Fortitude posted:

She's basically like... The End, really. Water and sunlight gives her a healing factor plus a badass sniper. Except The End didn't need to be almost naked to take advantage of it, so the outfit is just Kojima being dumb.
Spoiler: there are rainbows and sparkles

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Harrow posted:

The only part of all this that bothers me is the part where Venom Snake made Outer Heaven. All of the rest is basically what I expected ever since the game's reveal and the moment in the hospital where Kaz says, "What about him?" I think it's a pretty good twist there. But Venom Snake taking Big Boss's role in MG1 is just silly.
Why is it silly? You spend the entire game of TPP learning to make a base and an army and by the end you're drat good at it. It would be more silly to just waste that experience.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mr. Fortitude posted:

This game honestly does not look that fun. It's kind of amazing how much the marketing trailers made the game look more fun than it actually is. It's just constant grinding like in Peace Walker except instead of it being bite sized it's in a very bland open world that honestly reminds me of Ubisoft open world games.
It's a playground with a lot of toys. You have to make your own fun with them, so if you're not creative then you're going to be bored. The game has a director that covers tactics you used frequently to try and encourage creativity. You probably wouldn't have liked the original Deus Ex either.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

So why was Quiet naked all the time? We were promised a Shocking Revelation IIRC
If you get the Shocking Revelation you're punished by her leaving your game forever :laffo:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

A Lamer posted:

For those of you who have completed the game, is quiet actually worth bringing home if DD is closer to what I'm looking for in a buddy? I heard she causes trouble at motherbase if I don't bring her along, and she leaves anyway, unless I do some specific poo poo to prevent that.
I haven't seen anyone run without her, but there are definitely some late game scenes that aren't specifically hers which would probably play out differently without her. I wouldn't worry about her wrecking Mother Base, there will be plenty more trouble from other sources, but it would be interesting to hear how some things play out without her. Though you wouldn't know because you wouldn't have seen the other version. :psyduck:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Harrow posted:

What are the chances the big cut final mission (Episode 51) will be DLC at some point in the near future? Kojima is still technically employed by Konami and they probably have the formerly-KojiPro team working on DLC (because why wouldn't they). I could easily see "THE FINAL EPISODE DLC, see how the story truly ends, $9.99" coming before the end of 2015.

That would be depressing, of course.
If PP sold really well, I can see them making a half assed sequel out of the leftover content with a skeleton crew and charging full price or at least Ground Zeroes price. If not then lol

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

lovely Wizard posted:

So now that I've finished the game, any idea what the red light door one floor from phantom Paz is for?

Also the game and listening to audio tapes did nothing to make me want Sutherland over David Hayter, John Cygan, or Richard Doyle. The ending was also dumb as gently caress (and not in a fun way like MGS2) but at least I had fun with the gameplay the whole way through.
The tapes are way more interesting than the cutscenes in most cases right through and including the end. The bit about Strangelove and what she did for Hal is particularly :psyduck: in terms of what it means for him throughout the series.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I guess all this weird Big Boss stuff at least gives the vague impression of a reasoning for the last remaining "cartoon villain" of the series, but it sure was a bit sloppy of a way to do it, and raises more questions than answers about Naked Snake. I'm going to blame the rest of whatever happens after this game on the AI though. That just leaves Coldman and Huey as the last psychopaths who I don't have a clear understanding of why they do loving evil poo poo constantly. The reasons for them both seem to boil down to "I think I am correct and gently caress you" which is possibly the scariest possible rationale for destroying everything. Everyone else who becomes a villain seems to be various revenge ripples of events from back then and/or pawns of AI fuckery.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Vikar Jerome posted:

The twist was clearly alluded to back when kojima made mody dick studios and pretended to be someone else. Every trailer has been hammering you over the head with it.
Yeah, the choice of music for that early GDC trailer is really appropriate in retrospect. The lyrics mock the very people watching it.

Sad that they cut back on the FOB concept so much since that was the most incredible sounding part. On the other hand there is so much dicking around to be done that I don't think I will miss it too badly.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Vikar Jerome posted:

Wait, can you only use subsistence on two missions? I was really looking forward to that mode too. I thought it unlocked for every mission once you beat it or something.
Yeah, unfortunately. I kind of understand it because for procure on site to work they have to rework the maps to have something to find, but that shouldn't have taken a lot of effort to fill in for the rest of the missions. Making most of the Extreme missions the boss fights is just stupid though, MGS boss fights are already giant HP walls as it is, so making them more punishing is a recipe for a ruinous slog.

I haven't found anyone with the patience to get 100% overall completion though so I don't know what that unlocks. Teasing a few difficulty modified missions as disguised filler for the missing second half of the story is pretty lame.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

blackguy32 posted:

I find it kind of funny that this is the thread where people are a lot more critical of the game. I am at the point where the game is pretty fun but at the same time, I am starting to notice a bunch of little flaws that annoy the poo poo out of me.
You can't really complain about Kojima horseshit without a ton of spoilers. On the other hand if you came into a Kojima game expecting it wouldn't be full of horseshit then lol

Still a really fun game until the gameplay gets abusive but that's also pretty usual.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Just stick your fingers in your ears and yell "because Kojima" over and over again til you pass out, then all of his mindfucks in this game might start to make sense.

It's kind of fun to see it though, this game is probably the most unhinged we'll get to see a game dev for quite some time in terms of loving with the players on multiple fronts. Makes sense that Mantis features so heavily, the whole game is toying with expectations.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

redreader posted:

"moenie my vir 'n poephol vat nie!". Subtitle: "you're not fooling anyone"
real translation: "Don't take me for an rear end in a top hat" (literally: poop hole)
Still cracks me up that they put this voice in the game and even voice it when you interrogate a dude who you can't understand, but as soon as you can understand them it's all groans and grunts instead.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It already got confirmed to be fake, it was some indie dev team trading on Kojima's name to promote their lovely horror game that will be "sort of like Silent Hills would have been." It's already dead in the water, but it looks like all the juicy stuff got taken down and I wanted to see all the people going batshit and cursing Kojima's name over something he had no involvement in whatsoever.
Wow, that sounds incredibly stupid. Bummer that you weren't able to salvage some rage posts for us to gawk at.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Electromax posted:

Why is it so upsetting? Is it just because the game lets you keep playing instead of kicking you into New Game at the end of it?
I know this is a few pages back but that's exactly why the Quiet thing pisses me off; the game trains you to keep accumulating poo poo even after the story has long since sputtered out lamely, and then socks you in the gut with this. It's basically like Kojima role playing some kid stealing your MMO account and going "lol u can always start over". My feeling that the story of that mission is eyerollingly bad and full of contrivances (lol suddenly you can't deal with the wildlife you've been stomping a mudhole in for weeks, and lol Pequod can't home in on you even though they knew where exactly to send drops during the Sahelanthropus fight, etc, etc) doesn't help.

Also not having difficulty options for any but a select few missions is super lame and obvious DLC bait. No, I don't want to pay extra to finally be able to use a feature that was included in nearly every other MGS game.

Snak posted:

I posted this video earlier, but I'm reposting it because I just saw what the video description was:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYM-vPKyxfA
Also this description is great

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Pwnstar posted:

I'm almost positive you can't actually blow people up with nukes and its just a weird game of telephone that makes people think you can.
Yeah, I'd like to see at least one single stinking Youtube video of some guy finding out his FOB has been nuked. It's gotta be out there if that's actually a thing. Seems like it would be happening constantly and there would be salty videos all over the place.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Snak posted:

Morpho might not even be real. We have to accept the possibility that the entirety of Ground Zeroes has an unreliable narrator. Yes Big Boss may have done all those things, but all of Big Boss's missions, all of his memories, were inserted into Venom's mind. We know this process is less than perfect. Morpho represents Venom's dream that he saved everyone. Don't believe me?
Yes, GZ and TPP are all some hosed up weirdo's bad recall of a story through his shrapnel addled mind and we never will get the story we wanted (or expected, anyway). This is the final gently caress you to the haters, Kojima style. People whined about the rambling nonsense stories for years and just wanted more gameplay, and now you see what you get. That song by Garbage in the first trailer? Directed right at those people. Go on saying you won't be manipulated and Kojima will gently caress you right in the face and laugh, then drop the mic forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sultan Tarquin posted:

That's pretty much how I feel. All the trailers and impressions made the game look like it was going to tell the story of how BB went from being the hero to the villain. "The missing link that completes the saga" and then...nothing really happens. You stop skull face's plans and all that, but does it even answer any glaring plot holes/questions left in the MGS story? It was an amazing game, but a not so great Metal Gear game.
We are not your kind of people.
You seem kind of phoney.
Everything's a lie.
Something in your makeup.
Don't see eye to eye.

Don't want to be like you.
Ever in our lives.
We fight when you start talking.
There's nothing but white noise