Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand how those giant 10-gauge shells on Ocelot's bandolier are supposed to fit in his dumb guns, which can't possible by chamber for larger than 20-gauge.

It took me 30 hours to realize that that was in fact the ammo for his guns. Up until that point I was like "why is ocelot carrying shells for a gun he isn't even using". Then I remembered that the Uganda or whatever fires shotgun shells.

There's no way he's the real ocelot. I can't wait to get to the ending of this game so I can find out what the gently caress is going on, or complain about it.

edit: I posted this in the wrong thread (this one) by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
this is from like 20 pages back:

randombattle posted:

[dogfacts] They put enough attention to detail in DD that there's plenty of obvious characteristics that make it clear he's a dog and not a wolf. His proportions are too off for a wolf, his ears are too thin, his head too small, and whatnot but the clearest sign is that he has the bobbing gait of dog and not the stable gait of a wolf. When a dog runs they will move their heads and body up and down as they run but wolves will maintain a fairly level posture as they run. DD has the tell tale bobbing motion that points out clearly that Huey is a butt. [/dogfacts]

He is obviously a wolf. Who raised him and trained him? Ocelot. Who else did ocelot train to believe they were something different from who they are?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
also from awhile back:

randombattle posted:

So in MGS1 when Liquid/Miller first calls Snake he introduces himself as Mcdonald Miller.

Puts those burger tapes in a whole new light.
Yeah, I totally called this in the other thread. Then I got to the last hamburger tape and Miller ends it by saying, now all it needs is a new brand, based around a name... and presumable goes off to name himself McDonalds/McDonnell.

Too bad it can't be a real origin story for McDonalds because it's like 40 years too late.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Unironically, I think the Vocal Chord Parasite backstory was loving awesome and the biggest issue was that it had nothing to with metal gear and they had to have a metal gear in the game because or reasons, so the best metal gear ever built was also the first one and even though the only time it ever worked was when it was mind controlled by a child, they brought the whole thing back to their mother base even though the last guy who owned it JUST got pwnt by it because you never know when psycho mantis is going to take over it and use it to kill you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Under the vegetable posted:

the parasites lead to the development of FOXDIE i thought

What I meant was, asside from Sahelanthropus being a great boss fight, it's inclusion in the game was completely dumb and the game should have just been about the VOCAL CHORD PARASITES.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lovely Wizard posted:

So Outer Heaven has been 'made' like 4 times so far in prequels. First Portable Ops (which is roughly canon according to Kojima) which turned out to not be Outer Heaven, then Peace Walker which also turned out to not be Outer Heaven, then MGSV:PP by Venom which is Outer Heaven, but also MGSV:PP by Big Boss doing whatever he's doing during MGSV which I guess turns into Zanzibar Outer Heaven. Each time we found out about them, we're supposed to believe "so this is Outer Heaven from MG1', and then like a few years later (or a few dozen hours later in the case of the second outer heaven in MGSV) we find out they weren't, they were just prototype outer heavens.

I mean maybe you believed that, but every time they "made Outer Heaven" it was never in Zanzibarland so it obviously wasn't the OH from MG1...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Outer Heaven wasn't in Zanzibarland. Zanzibarland is where they went afterwards.

Right, sorry, it was in South Africa.

Which is also none of the places that these precursor Outer Heavens were being set up, so they were still obviously not physically the one from MG1.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

At this point, I'm just taking Outer Heaven as a philosophy. Wherever soldiers can be soldiers, free of national affiliation and national loyalties, that is Outer Heaven. I mean, that's not strictly how the games have ever stated it, but it makes enough sense to me that I'm just going with it.

I mean, it obviously is. And they don't actually call Mother Base "Outer Heaven" but they talk about heaven, hell, and "outside heaven". It's clear the the idea of Outer Heaven is one that Big Boss was obsessed with trying to make a reallity, even if NONE of his attempts actually succeeded.

Vengarr posted:

I predicted Sahalanthropus was being animated by Mantis, but in retrospect, how kickass would it have been if Sahalanthropus was being controlled by parasites? As you blow the armor off, you start seeing organic material beneath, and you realize that it's just one giant colony of microorganisms. A superorganism.
After listening to all the Code Talker tapes, I was hoping things were going this direction. Given that some major characters were almost entirely animated by parasites, you have to wonder if such complex organisms are really just working as a support system for the conscious mind that is "in control" of the host body.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

For a game (and its auteur) obsessed with throwing out trivia at every occasion, it completely skips over the non-verbal communication. The language theme offers the perfect setup: words can kill, wouldn't it make sense to showcase some sign language, morse code, written speech or whatever? I am sure there are dozens of books written about the subject that are ripe for Kojima-style citing.

So many problems could have been solved if anyone gave Quiet a notepad!

A lot of this actually depends on whether the parasites respond to subvocalization. Given how specific and powerful they were, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that simply thinking to yourself in a language would be enough to activate them. It would be incredibly hard to write without subconsciously sub-vocalizing ...

holy poo poo do you think the Codec is actually powered by parasites?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

They sit on the vocal cords and reproduce when the vocal cords produce the sounds they want to hear. They don't read people's thoughts.

You internal monologue actually generates movement in your vocal chords.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Grimace posted:

She was given other forms of communication at one point so she could try to converse with them in various ways during things like the torture, but she kept refusing any chances to "talk" with people, because ??? something something she may have wanted revenge on Venom Snake (but she never seems to implicate as much after you bring her back home). It's kind of a junk plot point that boils down to Kojima really not wanting her to talk in any form until the Navajo scene because of REASONS.

I think it's just that's she's heard a lot of metal gear solid characters exposit their goals and it never seems to help any one. Like she's trying to avoid contributing to plot entropy. She's probably thinking "it doesn't matter what I communicate or how I phrase it, one of these morons will be inspired by my words to clone more metal gear parasites or some poo poo".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
When I was playing the Truth ending, I was really hoping for a reveal that xof didnt exist and it was from seeing big boss's fox patch in a mirror.

Obviously this doesnt make sense with xof existing in GZ, but memories or whatever.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I have mixed feelings about how the "there were basically two big bosses for all of history" thing, but:

Doing it this way was a good excuse to re-humanize "Big Boss" while you're playing him even though he should be farther along in his villain cycle. The ending basically shows that, yes, the real big boss has become much more of a villain than the character whose actions you have been guiding. I mean I'm not defending the things that Venom does, but it totally explains why Venom seems to be sleepwalking through a dream and is a passenger in Ocelot and MIller's plan. Before I was sure about the twist, I was unhappy with how passive Big Boss was in the leadership of his organization.

Also, it being basically confirmed that Venom's horn is bone fragment from Paz makes his mental manifestation of her interesting. I mean, part of her is literally inside his head.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vengarr posted:

Oh my god, I missed that completely. Of course that's where all the fragments of bone and teeth came from :gonk:

yeah, it's something that a lot of people assumed, but the ending cutscene makes it super-clear, since you see that the shrapnel is in his head immediately after shielding John from Paz exploding. Before seeing that, it seemed like it could have been from the collision with the other helicopter.

Saw this on reddit:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
All in all, GZ and TPP's stories are pretty uncomfortable and hosed up. I'm not going to say that's a good thing, but the whole thing leaves me feeling sad. Like everyone failed. Paz was tortured and killed, Chico was tortured and killed. Ocelot tortured tons of people, including their "allies". Huey was a sack a poo poo. Strangelove died. Miller, except for hamburgers, was tortured and turned into a psychotic paranoid rage machine. Skullface failed. Sahelanthropus was a failure. Volgin failed. and Venom's dream of outer heaven failed, because ultimately, he and all his men were just tools of the real Big Boss. Big Boss became what he originally stood against. None of it mattered. It was all just senseless violence and pain, misguided attempts at creating change in a world that whose gears just kept rolling. Psycho Mantis, well, we see how he ends up. We see how Liquid ends up. Not a single character, good or bad, in this game has a happy ending or successful ending. Ocelot is probably the closest but really all he does is drift from winning team to winning team until he is the winning team and I didn't play MGS4 so I still don't know what happens there. I really want to, now, actually.

so yeah, blah blah blah I feel the Phantom Pain. Like Big Boss, I yearn for the ideal MGS game that never was. Snake Eater is over, and no matter how many newer games I play, the only place I'm really at home is with the dual shock in my hand with someone talking in my ear telling me my mission.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But didn't Zero basically lose control of his organization and become a figurehead for something that was kind of operating on it's own in his name?

edit: Okay, I'm probably going to get poo poo for this, and even though MGS2 was my first MGS, I barely consider Raiden a real character.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

the ending-ending of MGS4 is taking an hour to say that everybody in the Big Boss era was a fuckup and that the world's better now that they're all dead and not loving poo poo up anymore

That's pretty loving lame. I don't disagree with the fuckup part, but I don't expect the MGS universe to get better ever, as far as being an unending meat-grinder of misery and sorrow.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

Why does Snake end up sending his son against his own puppet (Venom) in Outer Heaven in MG1? Why does he also warn Venom that he is going to do this? What is his goal?

A Hideo Kojima Game

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean yeah.

Kojima wants to both preach that war is futile and destructive AND jerk off to tactical military hardware. The contradiction that Snake (Boss and Solid) feel between negative effects of war and the only place they feel at home is reflected in the games themselves, because if we ever destroyed metal gear for good OR metal gear made conventional soldiers obsolete, there would be no more games. In order to keep making MGS games, they had to create a setting where gamers could go on sneaking missions forever, without the resolution of the last game's plot leaving them with no game to play.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

Its cool that you have Sahelanthropus in this game which seems way more outrageous than the previous Metal Gears and you wonder how its so much more advanced than the ones you encounter in the future. Then you find out its a gigantic overdesigned, flimsy piece of poo poo that never actually worked and was only animated through literal puppetry because Huey is a gigantic hack.

yeah but none of the metal gears were ever worth a poo poo. I mean, I didn't play MGS4, and it looks like Gekkos were pretty good, but REX? never used, RAY, LOL. ARSENAL gear? Good for one 9/11. Zeke? All the ones from Peace Walker?

Metal Gear is a garbage technology compared to the S3 program. These giant war machines that are supposed to change the face of battle, are, without exception, all destroyed by a single guy with a rocket launcher. Seems like maybe it's more cost effective to just make really good rocket launchers? What's that you say? Metal gear is really about a nuclear launch platform? Well how about nuclear rocket launchers? They've only been around since before metal gear, surely improving the range and effectiveness of those is a better investment than anime robots?

No really, the real villain of the MGS saga is hilariously bad priorities for military spending. The plot of MGS is that the most advanced technology that DARPA can buy built by geniuses who are a half-century ahead of their time is useless against a guy in a cardboard box who didn't even bring his own rocket launcher, choke-slammed one off of one of your own guys.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

I actually think it was kind of clever how the armor becomes the nuclear weapon. But of course nothing was done with that and all we got was a wet fart for an ending.

Gekko's couldn't get up if knocked over and made cow sounds randomly for some reason. Seriously.

Metal Gear always makes animal sounds. It's silly as gently caress. Sahelanthropus roared.

If there was a MGS6 it would be about how the Vocal Chord parasites are trying to make humans build metal gear because the liked living in dinosaurs the best and want big robot dinosaurs to live in. Also, because they are Vocal Chord Parasites, they want the dinosaurs to roar.

Also, because metal-refining archaea turned out to be a real thing, I had to look up if there were any parasites that lived in human vocal chords. I couldn't find any, the closes I found was Rhinosporidiosis, which mostly lives in mucus membranes, most commonly the nasopharynx.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

Metal Gear Rex was impressive in the time period it was developed. It took two of the best soldiers in the history of the world to take it down, one of them was was essentially a piece of futuristic technology on the level of a Metal Gear itself (Greyfox), and one of them still died in the process.

Well that detail is correct, but my point stands. Cyborg Ninjas are a much more effective line of research than Metal Gears. Also, Metal Gear Rex was advanced for the time UNTIL we find out that Sahelanthropus existed like 2 decades earlier.

edit: ^ RAY isn't nuclear capable either, and it's still considered a metal gear.

Pwnstar posted:

I read a spy thriller once about a secret plot by a shadowy organisation to perform a fake terrorist attack with a supposedly stolen prototype of a new fancy attack helicopter in order to drum up buyers for it. The hero is part of the plot against his will but secretly plans to gently caress everything up and shoots down the helicopter with a single Stinger missile as soon as it shows up and before it gets to do anything. This saves the day and sends sales for the Stinger missile through the roof. It reminded me of Metal Gear a bit.
This is awesome and MGS as gently caress.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

Sahelanthropus wasn't functional though so it's meaningless. It couldn't actually move like that without psychic powers controlling it. It's basically like someone sculpted a model of a make-believe military weapon with no means of it actually being operational. Only Huey was dumb and arrogant, and actually built the thing. Without Psychomantis it would have just sat there unused.

yeah but... like, every weapons system it had seemed to work fine, so all of that tech should have been on REX as soon as they got REX walking. I mean, REX is the cooled metal gear period, so I'm not actually in favor of other metal gears being cooler. Like I said earlier, I think Sahelanthropus being in the story is dumb as poo poo. If it wasn't the best boss fight of the game I'd say it shouldn't even be in the game. But Gameplay > story, so...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
so this is dumb, but I'm going to say it. I was just thinking how MGSV is basically the story quirks of 2, with reality not being what it seems, you not being real snake etc, while following the continuity of MGS3...

2+3=5

EDIT: HOLY loving poo poo! Just saw this on reddit, where someone saw it on 4chan:

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 16, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

To be fair, that cardboard box took a staff of over a hundred R&D employees and the equivalent of many large diamonds in cash to be researched. I think Boss could have used a better accountant as well

Yeah, but the one from Snake Eater didn't. The one that Snake felt so at home in. So I like to imagine that all the time and money spent on R&D for boxes in TPP was the result of Venom demanding a box just like the one from Snake Eater. You think Kaz had it tough trying please Code Talker with burgers...

edit: ^ not sure, but it's whatever Eli has on his shoulder:

My guess it's a red beret.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ignis posted:

Japanese players never cease to amaze :golfclap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0B35EbxoQs

Wow, he doesn't even shoot any of the other weak points. He could have easily hit at least one of the white canisters, i wonder why he didn't? I never even tried using the cannon, figured it would be worthless. The last time I got in a rocket apc trying to fight Sahelanthropus, I drove into a stack of red barrels just trying to turn around.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Sahelanthropus has weak points other than the stomach?

As someone who passed out in my chair from trying to beat the EXTREME Sahelanthropus fight last night, the white canisters on its back can be destroyed with a single rocket each, do additional damage, and stun it for a short time. I'm wondering if they aren't destroyed in a single cannon shot, which would be why it's not worth targeting them using that strategy.

The most frustrating thing in that fight is the supply drop mechanic. I thought I would be smart, and call in my next supply drop ahead of time, so that it would be ready when I ran out of ammo. The problem is, when you fire your last rocket, they automatically send you a supply drop. You can only have one supply drop active at a time, and their auto-drop over-writes the previous one, so I'm literally 10 feet away from the ammo when it disappears from the ground and they are like "supply drop incoming". Thanks assholes.

This is really loving stupid, because it's basically penalizing you for trying to be smart and efficient.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I am pretty sure you can gently caress up the flame-thrower dick-gun, and I worked really hard trying to see if I could break the railgun. Don't know if I ever succeeded cause my roommate woke up me up in my my gaming chair at 5am. dumb.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like that in true ending, we came full circle with a reference to the ending scene of Escape from LA

Welcome to the human race

That's probably why Chapter 2 is called Race.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I finished the game and i dont think quiet left. I definitely didn't use a butterfly emblem. Does she leave as a result of one of the repeat missions?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh I basically didnt bond with Quiet at all. Our bond is like, 3.

So does this imply you can keep her around just by being abusive? Cause that would be p hosed up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Quiet's arc is about her being torn between wanting revenge on Snake and liking him for sparing her life and working with her. At max bond she's made up her mind on which one it is and her story ends. If you never take her on missions she remains neutral so she doesn't make any of the decisions that lead to her leaving the game.

That doesn't contradict what I said, though? If you like, shoot her every time you take her on a mission, won't she never reach max bond and you can keep her forever?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Electromax posted:

Theoretically, yeah. It would be a trade-off because she isn't as useful at lower bond - just like DD, she can provide more actions at higher levels and at lower levels she's less active/directable/impacting.

Yeah it's why I don't use her very much. She's not very useful at low bond. I started almost every mission solo and only called her in when it was clear I wanted to clean out an entire base for some reason. Then I had to dismiss her when I wanted her to stop shooting people. Which lowers her bond.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

Quiet doesn't write things down because she doesn't actually want to help the Diamond Dogs because she's caught up in her quest for revenge against Big Boss. The first time you see her she literally tries to kill you, its not some honorable duel amongst soldiers. Big Boss defeats her but spares her life and she doesn't know what to do with that so she's biding her time and holding her secret weapon in reserve. Eventually she starts getting won over by the legend of Big Boss and starts to turn but she's really only "on your side" when she leaves.

I think that she realizes pretty soon that you're not the real big boss. I think that's part of her fascination with you. She recognizes you from the hospital and knows you're a double, and she's trying to figure out how she feels about that. It would be really hard to give her dialogue about this without giving the twist away to the player.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ekusukariba posted:

Do her cutscenes still trigger if you don't have a high bond with her? like wonder if you could have your avatar unlocked at the time, since we don't get to use the avatar in cutscenes out of replays it'd be interesting to know if you could save some cutscenes and use the avatar in them, though it probably just switches to Big Boss

Some of them don't. I saw here jump into the chlorine gas pit, and her being tortured, but there was no rain dance for me. ...I wonder how the birthday cutscene is changed if it only happens post-Quiet leaving...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
For the record, I agree that it's lame that post-game sandbox freeroam doesn't have a way for you to get Quiet back. The post-game should be where you can just screw around and try all your crazy gear and strats that you didn't try during your playthrough of the story.

Sure you can start a new game, but then you have research timers if you want to play with Quiet and rocket-fist or whatever.

edit: ^ I know there's all kinds of work arounds. God every time I talk about this it's the same poo poo. I only use Quiet when I want her to start shooting. There is no stop shooting command. I do not care about any of the other bullshit. There is not a hold fire command unlocked from the beginning. For this reason I don't use her enough to raise her bond. That's all I'm saying. I give two shits if she gets better later.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 16, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mangoose posted:

Besides, how can she even talk without lungs? This whole thing is coming apart at the seams
Well her diaphragm works, and her lungs exists, it's just that the alveoli are destroyed by burning so they are useless. Assuming that the parasites keeping her alive are also stopping them from filling with fluid, she would still be able to fill them with air in order to speak. Since the VOCAL CHORD PARASITES want her to be able to speak, it's in their best interested to make her airbags continue to work.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mangoose posted:

Those are some handy magical multi-purpose parasites. Thanks for clearing that up.

Actually, murder parasites activated only by the sound of certain languages spoken in post-pubescent voices is so dumb in and of itself that I'm not even being sarcastic.

I think VOCAL CHORD PARASITES are loving awesome and I be Neal Stephenson wishes he thought of them.

But the game also already has parasites that turn people into photosynthesizing terminators covered in armor who can turn invisible and also teleport and pull guns out of thin air. So given all of that, I bet Quiet can talk just fine with her crispy lungs.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I assume that the healing factor parasites would have a vested interest in rebuilding her larynx. They healed all of her skin just fine. They have no need for alveoli, so they didn't need to fix her lungs as long as she can draw breath to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

All in all probably the worst metal gear in terms of story save MGS 2.

I think it's worse than MGS2. MGS2's story isn't even bad, it's that a chunk of the ending was cut (it's like poetry, it's like it rhymes), and Jack and Rose are annoying as gently caress. The actual story is pretty good.

• Locked thread