Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
New fave thread

sure are cuddlier than tasmanian devils

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Gorilla Salad posted:

Went camping in Tasmania once. Did. Not. Sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwhJ9ZMHAFo

The sounds of my childhood. :allears:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
And a foxes as pets thread

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

bawww

so having never seen a raccoon in real life, are they very affectionate? Or is it more curiosity? Do they actively seek out affection from humans or just want to dig in your pockets for tasty snacks?

they look cool as hell.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
So they dont really, like, come to you for cuddles or pets or snuggles or whatever? Just for food?

Does one come up and curl up on your lap like a cat or have they not yet been that domesticated or just not capable of displaying that kind of affection?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
That's pretty cool. I remember reading in NatGeo about the domesticated foxes and how it took something along the lines of 3 or 4 generations of foxes before they started displaying affection towards their keepers as opposed to just approaching for food, and all the wild fear had dissipated.

Same here if you read the Wiki page about Tasmanian Devils it says they are incapable of affection but a guy here recently has a couple that he's hand reared and he claims that they are incredibly affectionate. Having been with a few hand-reared ones myself and seen how loving savage they are, I find the changing attitude of an animal towards humans pretty interesting.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
That's super cool. Little buddy just wanted a warm place to crash for the night.

I wonder what he did when he woke up, if he just let rip a massive fart, yawned, scratched his nuts and did the walk of shame or woke up and freaked out and did the harold holt

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

From fb

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Aesop Poprock posted:

That's about as cute as they get since the vast majority of them are either ripped up from fighting or covered in debilitating facial tumors

That and the noises they make are loving ungodly.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
In the flesh they really aren't cute. They look savage as gently caress. I was with my stepdad once who is a vet and had to take some skin samples of some that had been hand reared as orphans. It was terrifying. The females are 100x more aggressive than the males too.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I can't share instagram vids but on instragram there is an account called @melanieraccoon and she does cheerleading and stuff :3:

e: oh yallready got it

Sludge Tank has a new favorite as of 10:23 on Oct 5, 2015

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
POTW

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
what does a raccoon's fur feel like? is it all soft and silky or wiry and poo poo?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
The computer gane "Worms" random name generator would be dank for raccoon names

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Bbw :3

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
The empty pepsi cups and water bottles are the moat, making the fortressash impenetrable.

Sludge Tank has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Nov 3, 2015

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

reach for the stars

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

jesus he's going back for more
someone cut him off already

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
bin juice?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

quote:

“I realized there were two workers in hard hats with flashlights with a raccoon between them,” said Pierce. “They were like, 'This guy is really dazed,' and I was like, 'He is?' And they said, 'Yes, he’s the one that knocked out all the power,' and I was amazed.”

quote:

Seattle City Light spokesman Scott Thomson later told KIRO 7 that the raccoon responsible for the outage was electrocuted and was not the same one whom neighbors saw.

idgi, did raccoon survive or is raccoon died?

:ohdear:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
do raccoons have that same thing as bears do where they have no sensation of being full so they are just always hungry and always eating thats why they get fat

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

cash crab posted:

Yep. Raccoons actually become very picky when they have a lot of food available and develop specific personal tastes.

PS: Example:

A friend of mine just lost several basil plants, thanks to raccoons. :buddy: She's gonna be so happy when they come back with a nice pizza!

I didn't know raccoons had the ability to propagate herbs! :psyduck: fascintating!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Sentient trash can

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
In Mother Russia, coon domesticates you

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Gorilla Salad posted:

Get some floppy ears up in here.

Man's new best friend? A forgotten Russian experiment in fox domestication

TLDR: Russian geneticist in the 50s decides to see just how it would take to create a breed of silver fox (notoriously difficult to keep due to their aggression) capable of being kept as a pet. It took just 40 generations of selectively breeding the individuals least aggressive to their captors to get "foxes (which) were more eager to hang out with humans, whimpered to attract attention, and sniffed and licked their caretakers. They wagged their tails when they were happy or excited. (Does that sound at all like your pet dog?) Further, their fear response to new people or objects was reduced, and they were more eager to explore new situations. Many of the domesticated foxes had floppy ears, short or curly tails, extended reproductive seasons, changes in fur colouration, and changes in the shape of their skulls, jaws, and teeth. They also lost their "musky fox smell."

Read a NatGeo article about this a few years ago. You summed it up really well. The behaviour changes over the generations was documented well. Fascinating stuff.

I don't know how relevant it is but I live in Tasmania with the 'Tasmanian Devils' and there are a lot of rehab programs for them and a quarantine project because there is an infectious tumour disease spreading through them in the wild. Only a small handful in captivity and many of those are injured wild being rehab'd for release.

Anyway, long story short but their zoological descriptions say they are incapable of affection I guess due to their wild nature/brains etc. Particularly with humans, but there have been articles appearing locally recently with carers who are raising/looking after them that are saying that newer generations of captive quarantined devils are beginning to show affection/play/approach of humans. Nothing as close as the foxes or raccoons/canine equivalents but stil traits that contradict the species as they are loving savage. They are carnivorous marsupials and severely vicious, but interesting that even these savage creatures are showing behaviour shifts in these programs.

((tassie devils are carnivorous scavengar marsupials. Lots of them get hit by cars because they are attracted to roadkill. More or less an apex predfator in tasmania as we don't have many carnivorous species down here. THey have a distant relative in the quoll which is like a small possum/cat animal that is critically endangered and also the now supposedly extinct Tasmanian Tiger. Under thread from introduced cats and dogs. Fair bit of interesting reading on Tasmanian devils/tigers/quolls etc

sorry to derail

Sludge Tank has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Nov 30, 2016

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Gorilla Salad posted:

Devils are cool.

Insane.

Magnificent.

Bloody minded.

Bastards.

:allears:

Also, incurable viral face cancer is terrifying and needs all the research money we can throw at it. Hate to think of a world where something like that could affect people at similar rates.

Absolutely. They are a rare treasure and definitely worth protecting because Tassie is a tiny place.

Feel free to make a small donation.

http://www.tassiedevil.com.au/tasdevil.nsf/folder/_makeadonation

Tassie devils are basically zombie coons :3

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
is that a tranquiliser dart in him as well?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Raccoon realdolls

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
He looks gravely malnourished.

Where are the jiggly rolls? :ohdear:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
How do i get citizenship in toronto?

Asking for a friend

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Wheany posted:

Went to Helsinki zoo, saw trash boys there.

They're abandoned pet raccoons from somewhere in central Europe.

They also have this mural on the wall of the enclosure

I never wanted to visit Europe until I saw this post

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
https://imgur.com/gallery/pnB63

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
the raccoon would just fall into the nearest dumpster

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007