Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
/
New from Bradford Exchange! This adorable figurine displays a mom and her babies out for an adventure! Expertly hand-crafted of artist's resin, this collectable Racoon figurine is skillfully hand-painted in a bold colour palette. This collectable Racoon figurine is expected to generate exceptional demand, and you won't want to miss this opportunity to bring a little bit of the wild into your world. Order now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Watrick posted:

http://highlandvalley.tumblr.com/post/135016624364

I can't imbed the video, but I think these dudes are civets, which are related to raccoons.

OK, I want one now.

quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring-tailed_cat#Domestication

The ringtail is said to be easily tamed, and can make an affectionate pet and effective mouser. Miners and settlers once kept pet ringtails to keep their cabins free of vermin; hence, the common name of "miner's cat" (though in fact the ringtail is no more a cat than it is civet).[13] The ringtails would move into the miners' and settlers' encampments and become accepted by humans in much the same way that some early domestic cats were theorized to have done. At least one biologist in Oregon[who?] has joked that the ringtail is one of two species – the domestic cat and the ringtail – that thus "domesticated humans" due to that pattern of behavior.

Often a hole was cut in a small box and placed near a heat source (perhaps a stove) as a dark, warm place for the animal to sleep during the day, coming out after dark to rid the cabin of mice.