Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Is this the Babylon 5 thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I mention it alot because of its superficial similarities to DS9 but I think this is just a cool place to talk about cool bad scifi shows

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I made my wife watch Galaxy Quest tonight. She was skeptical but laughed her head off the whole way through. I barely remembered it. It's a good time.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Tried watching B5 once but found the acting was as bad as a first-grade nativity play.

Still need to get round to watching Stargate.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

DarkMalfunction posted:

Tried watching B5 once but found the acting was as bad as a first-grade nativity play.

Still need to get round to watching Stargate.

:captainpop:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm still wrapping my head around someone complaining about acting in a Star Trek starring Bill Shatner thread

IMO the worst offenders of this in B5 are Sinclair (RIP) and probably Ivonva, but they both get better as the show goes on. I think Bruce B. really pushed the show into better territory.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'll defend anyone's right to call Babylon 5 'poorly acted' but it was still a good show despite that, maybe because of that. When you couple its acting with the pervasive videotoaster+neon signage look its just so unto itself. Like its not a badly acted show but instead a badly acted sector of the galaxy.

You should watch all of it. Maybe skip B5:Crusade though.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Clark Nova posted:

Ugh, that is probably my least favorite DS9 episode. Almost nothing at all happens aside from Odo being a mopey sadsack friendzone forever-alone dweeb the entire goddamn show.

I thought that was hilarious, Odo is the gooniest of goons.

Dude nearly screwed the entire universe to get goo-laid for crying out loud. He also murders an entire civilization for her and sees that as just fine.

Then he finally gets the girl and bails.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Skip the Jerry Doyle Show too

also

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 9, 2016

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The worst acting in all of B5 and sci-fi in general are space combat scenes. Cause yeah, just watch and see. When high as a kite, they are hilarious to watch due to the poor acting ludicrousness of it all.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
bad acting is just like, par for the course for this sort of thing. I'm trying to think of good acting in a scifi series and I'm drawing a blank really.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I thought the guy who played Jubal Early on Firefly was great.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I was just going to add that there are of course stellar individual exceptions to this, but generally they are just that, exceptions.

Truth be told though, I never could get much into Firefly so maybe either I'm no true nerd, or not a fat weird chick anyhow

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Did someone say "good acting in scifi"?

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

I always thought Battlestar had some half-decent acting as sci-fi goes - the guy who played Baltar was really drat good.

e: should probably specify, the Ronald D Moore remake of Galactica, not the original series that is shite

DarkMalfunction fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 9, 2016

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Shab posted:

Did someone say "good acting in scifi"?

Oh, is that outrageous Okona? I don't think I could ever watch that all the way through.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I just finished Voice in the Wilderness Part 2. Up until now I've been willing to forgive Babylon 5 for all of its flaws, but something about this episode really rubbed me the wrong way. For one thing, the show has a distinct militaristic theme and yet no one respects the chain of command. Everyone talks back to their superiors, and it's always over trivial bullshit or in life threatening situations where seconds should count. It reminds me of Aaron Sorkin's writing where witty dialogue means giving every character down to the lowliest, nameless extra a retort to whatever has been said to them. On the other hand, there are times when characters accept absurd, seemingly contradictory orders without batting an eye. Like when Sinclair tells Garibaldi that if they have to evacuate the station the command staff may have to remain behind to die when the planet they're orbiting explodes.

Then, in the very next sentence, he tells Garibaldi to make sure Ivanova gets off the station, even though she's the second highest ranking member of the command staff. But you can stay here and die, Garibaldi, you ugly lump. To which Garibaldi just smiles and nods his head.

I think the reason I found this exchange so annoying is because I know B5 is a one-man show. JMS wrote nearly all the episodes and it's painfully apparent that no one on the production staff gave him any push back on his lovely writing. Do things get better in the later seasons?

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 9, 2016

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

These two guys are carrying me through the first season.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The good news is that with Star Wars setting record gross receipts and CBS bringing back Star Trek to rob money from Yahoo, it stands to reason that one of Netflix, Hulu or Amazon is going to greenlight Babylon 6 for full swing development any day now.

And I cannot wait for more space in the year 2263 via the year 1995 in the year 2017.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Typical Pubbie posted:

They kind of make the show, honestly. Babylon 5 has a lot of weird poo poo but somehow the cast and characters manage to make it endearing.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

BottledBodhisvata posted:

They kind of make the show, honestly. Babylon 5 has a lot of weird poo poo but somehow the cast and characters manage to make it endearing.

Especially sexy early Delenn.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

DarkMalfunction posted:

I always thought Battlestar had some half-decent acting as sci-fi goes - the guy who played Baltar was really drat good.

e: should probably specify, the Ronald D Moore remake of Galactica, not the original series that is shite

yeah, that one was pretty good, I don't know how I skipped over it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Post your most 90sest scifi characters

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

(It's surprisingly hard to find good Time Trax pictures on GIS...)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

holy poo poo is this Voyager doing Star Trek IV

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Jesus man, Time Trax?

gently caress...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2joNIuEE9zk

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 9, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

holy poo poo is this Voyager doing Star Trek IV

Yes and guess whom they got as a guest star:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
does anyone remember VIPER?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I remember it was on UPN, that's it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
It was on broadcast at some point because it was definitely on one of 3 channels I had growing up. I think it lasted like 2 shows. I had completely forgot about it until 5 minutes ago.

edit

quote:

The series originally aired on NBC during the 1993-1994 season, debuting on January 2, 1994, with a two-hour pilot movie. After falling ratings, the series was canceled in April 1994.

but I guess it came back on cable so we are both right. Anyhow it is a good reminder of what kind of poo poo B5 and DS9 were up against back in the day. TV was most dire.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Anyone remember that m-rated Star Trek game where you were worf or some poo poo and you went around stabbing and slicing various classic alien species like the blue dudes with the antannae and the ferenghi? It probably sucked anus but it came out at a time in my childhood where gory game = a good game so I remember it fondly.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

From when SciFi went grunge.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
is that tank girl?

I love the socks on the elbows, its like the updated version of Over The Top's sweater sleeve.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Those two are the whole fuckin' reason for the show.

Two older, highly trained theater actors eating every piece of scenery in sight. Glorious.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
its almost uncanny

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Wildcards!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

a happy snowman posted:

Those two are the whole fuckin' reason for the show.

Two older, highly trained theater actors eating every piece of scenery in sight. Glorious.

Given how great classically trained theater actors are in scifi, I wonder if Shakespeare was alive today would he be writing JJtrek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Watching TNG episode 1, it is about as good as Just Shoot Me episode 1.

• Locked thread