Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Those tests really seem like they're testing for all the wrong qualities in a commanding officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

happyhippy posted:

The Maquis should have did that atmosphere thingy to Earth in retaliation.

"Now you are all loving Maquis like us, cunts."

You'd think that if it were that easy to ruin a planet the entire Alpha Quadrant would have been uninhabitable a hundred years ago.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Of all the TNG alumni, Wil Wheaton is probably the only one who would actually be capable right now of making an independent fan series that didn't suck completely, but thankfully he's also probably the least likely to want to.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kitchner posted:

Problem is Wesley Crusher went off to evolve to a higher plane of existence. What a poo poo story.

He'd probably be smart enough to play a completely different character and have subtle jabs against the Wesley Crusher character.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I hated Vic Fontaine and the stupid DS9 writers' stupid obsession with Vegas lounge lizards so much.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Met posted:

I had never made the mental connection that Quark and Guinan had the same profession.

Guinan doesn't even compare as a character.

Quark's bar was in a much more interesting neighborhood.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rutibex posted:

Wesley Crusher: More talented than the entire crew of Voyager

Didn't Q offer to take Voyager home once, but Janeway had too much pride to accept?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I remember seeing the Voyager series premiere and thinking "couldn't they have just left a bomb on the Caretaker station and gotten home while still fulfilling their moral obligations?"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rutibex posted:

yeah, and they killed them before they could turn the super warp drive off. they still have it by the end of the episode, they make no attempt to say it broke or anything, so presumably the federation should have been able to copy the technology

It's sitting in Section 31's secret warehouse with Ezri's wallhack rifle and the Ark of the Covenant.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

shadow puppet of a posted:

Still not seeing Kes.

But I can see Chakotay and Harry Kim's Tuvix blend real clearly.

Chokim?

Charry?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tujague posted:

Non-shameful Trek romances:

Picard and that one archaeologist thief chick
Riker banging Bebe Neuwirth
Quark banging that klingon lady
Bashir and Leeta

I changed my mind about Picard and the thief chick

you mean the one who later hooked up with Q?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MonsieurLongDong posted:

My wife just finished TNG for the first time and watched Generations and First Contact for the first time.

She liked Generations better.

I'm considering whether divorce or annulment is preferable.

Both those movies are terrible hth

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tujague posted:

I watched Galaxy Quest and it was p good but I'm going to be really surprised if a series based on that premise has legs

Yeah I wish they'd just leave stuff be sometimes. The Wet Hot American Summer miniseries was pretty bad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Enterprise's biggest sin was being boring as poo poo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Data actually knows all about idioms and social norms, he's just bored and really likes seeing how much he can troll the rest of the crew by pretending to be an emotionless autist.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's almost as if the writers were making poo poo up on an episode by episode basis and didn't have a real plan for what the Maquis were actually supposed to be.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My favorite thing about that DS9 arc is that we find out it's trivially easy to make entire planets uninhabitable to humans with one ship in a matter of minutes and yet somehow the entire Alpha Quadrant hasn't been turned into a death zone yet.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I guess the obvious technobabble retort is that it's just as easy to reverse with technobabble nonsense.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Eh, with no one dying from cars or guns any more, a couple thousand people a year dying horribly in holo-mishaps could be just seen as the acceptable cost of living in the modern world.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The people who died were mostly doing dumb poo poo anyway.

My theory is that Earth is only a utopia in Star Trek because Section 31 is using space drugs to keep the entire planet in a satisfied, passive, unambitious stupor. The ambitious people all get channelled into Starfleet where they can be shipped off to space to get blown up by borgs or whatever.

This explains why there's no new culture beyond what was public domain in 1989; everyone on the planet is just too dull to produce any worthwhile art, they're too busy playing Sherlock Holmes and The Case Of the Risan Vixens in the holosuite.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tujague posted:

Second: Console blast to the face during thunderstorm

The stories tell of a lost technology from before the eugenics wars known as "few-zez" that had the power to prevent needless explosions.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Higgy posted:

Still need to watch Enterprise

No, you really don't.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

skasion posted:

This, but to be fair TAS owns and everyone should see it

It's surprisingly mostly not terrible. And it randomly brought the Kzinti Patriarchy into Star Trek continuity because Larry Niven is lazy and just repurposed one of his Known Space stories casting Spock as the Pierson's Puppeteer.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A lot of the more terrible ideas in Star Trek were Roddenberry's though. He has a lot in common with George Lucas.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I watched the pilot and it was godawful and years later people told me "no, it gets better, there's a bunch of cool episodes, like that borg one" and I watched the borg episode and it was godawful.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

My Q-Face posted:

He doesn't, but he does have probably the best track record for work outside of Star Trek except maybe for Patrick Stewart.
Shatner didn't do too bad for himself.

Meaney is one of those guys who got solid work as a character actor before Trek and continues to afterward. He's one of the lucky ones. There's a bunch of Trek alumni who seem to subsist on convention fees. Like what has Terry Farrell done since DS9 ended? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000395/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It's cool to see Siddig getting work though: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0796502/?ref_=nv_sr_2
Inescapable and Cairo Time were actually good movies, and he's got a recurring gig on Game of Thrones now.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kitchner posted:

Wil Wheaton was on the Big Bang Theory as a repeating cameo and hosts the successful (and awesome) Tabletop so he probably comes out evens.

Yeah, Wil Wheaton somehow came out the other end of being the butt of every TNG joke as a nice, well-adjusted guy who does cool stuff and actually has a healthy relationship with the whole Star Trek fandom thing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You forget his finest work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYkRF_FmD40

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I don't think they ever made it particularly clear what being a member of the Federation actually means.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol they're gonna make another TV series...

http://io9.com/holy-crap-they-are-officially-making-a-new-star-trek-t-1740024705

... based on the JJTrek movies.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Being reminded of JJTrek makes me anxious about JJWars.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MikeJF posted:

Nah, I think a lot of it is the bullshit 24 or Ender's Game hosed-up it's worth being evil to defend America/Space America morality, too. And of course they envision themselves being one of the few who could make the hard choice to do nasty poo poo.

For all of Orson Scott Card's flaws (he has many) and as terrible as his writing gets (it's awful), the whole point of the first two Ender books was actually that the humans behaved monstrously and committed genocide and Ender basically becomes a figure synonymous with evil. Though I'm sure a lot of people read the first book and just thought "yeah, cool, blow up the aliens!" and didn't get how morally monstrous the twist ending is supposed to be.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like section 31 because Roddenberry would have hated it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They're just going to call it Trek.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What's their definition of "film professionals"? I've never seen one of those Trek fan films that didn't look laughably bad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kitchner posted:

To be fair Gene Roddenberry died in 1991, that means thanks to the wonderful power of copyright lobbyists those fans looking to make fan made films only need to wait until 2061 to release their film.

By which point Disney lawyers will have successfully campaigned to get copyright terms extended for another 50 years.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Real talk Odo is the best 'weird alien' main cast member the franchise has had.

He's the only one who actually ever felt alien.

I always had a soft spot for Quark though, because it was good to have a main cast member who didn't buy into Federation ideology in the slightest.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Quark is cool but he's removed enough from the main plot stuff that I don't see him as a main cast member.

He's in literally every episode, isn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

shadow puppet of a posted:

Oh for sure man. Enjoy the gently caress out of those endless Jamie Bamber mainplot episodes. Watch Chief Tyrol's lovely marriage drama up front and constantly rather than have Chief Miles who would at least take a loving break from it every once and a while.

Battlestar Galactica would be lucky to make the same top 10 list as Babylon 5,. It cannot even sniff DS9's upper pylons.

BSG isn't a DS9 Equivalent, it's a Voyager reboot.

• Locked thread