Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

shadow puppet of a posted:

In here Parrises squares is played 5 on 5 with a strict cap on the number of Bolians per team.

remember when Bolians were just Space Indians for a couple seasons of tng and ate crazy weird food and were all menial service industry workers then at some point someone went Hmmmmmmm Might This Be Kinda Racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

TEAYCHES posted:

gul dukat did nothing wrong

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Wowbagger2004 posted:

People have joked about it in this thread but the star trek house guy was unsurprisingly a paedophile for reals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32736286/star-trek-flat-for-sale-after-owner-jailed

it keeps happening

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Tyrannosword posted:

He did until someone decided to make him cartoonishly evil at the end because they didn't want people sympathising with a space nazi. No room for grey areas in the 24th century!

I really liked that episode of DS9 where they trigger an old Cardassian defence program that was designed to put down a Bajoran uprising - the best bit was how sincere DUkat seemed on the recorded announcements when he's asking the Bajoran labourers to give up or further lives will be lost. The implication that Dukat spent hours recording veideos for every forseeable scenario and going all out emoting the part for each one is pretty spot on for his character, I reckon.

he does ds9s moral ambiguity thing real well. he was a liberal softie by cardassian occupier standards but was still, you know, a cardassian occupier

also big ups to ds9 being the last major tv show to ever be like "yeah the good guys were terrorists who killed civilians and noncombatants and were also in the right"

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have to admit I always find that absolutely hilarious.

They would never call a main character a terrorist today, even if that's exactly what they were. And not only that, have them unapologetic of it....

... and then the series ends with terrorism kind of saving the day. Sometimes I think DS9 is nothing but a dark satire of Star Trek, and I'm OK with that.

thats kind of ds9's intellectual anchor. where tng was like the perfect Space Liberalism fantasy, ds9 grounds that and plays with it by juxtaposing that idealism with the realities of non-federation frontier life and the tensions that result. it does the same thing later on in the series with Section 31, where it turns out that uh no the federations purity of heart doesnt win the day, its willing to do the same sort of conniving poo poo that everyone else is, they just pretend otherwise b/c of Ideology. theres a bunch of episode where sisko or other federation dudes have to do some real dirt to get what they want, and the conflict that results is what makes things so compelling

whereas voyagers intellectual anchor is "what if we filled a starship with poorly-written sociopaths and cut them loose from starfleet" and there is no conflict or introspection at all

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 23, 2015

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
remember tuvix. lol *murders a decent man and friend, pleading for his life, in cold blood; straightens uniform; back on course warp 8 engage*

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
voyager commits the double mega sin of 1) squandering all the potential of its premise and 2) ruining all kinds of interesting established ideas like the Q continuum and the borg by filling in all the mysterious gaps that made them compelling with stupid bullshit. on top of being badly written. god drat you brannon braga, god drat you to heck

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
more importantly it demonstrated that john rhys-davies makes for a bangin da vinci

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
the one where they go back to 1995 with sarah silverman is prolly the most 90s thing ive ever seen and also, vitally, features tuvok in a du-rag

tuvok was prolly the best character on that show b/c they felt like hammering home the "vulcans obviously have emotions and are big weiners in denial about it" thing w/ his character, which makes him interesting, and tim russ did a really good job with that. whereas with, idk, janeway, kate mulgrew was a fantastic actor in the role but the writing was atrocious and schizophrenic and her characterization changed radically from episode to episode

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
romulans and vulcans are the same species and the vulcans are just in weird denial about things

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
first season is interesting cause they had no idea to what extent/in what ways they wanted to get out from under the TOS shadow but i wouldnt say its good star trek

the score from s1 legit owns tho

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

His old man would have been warrior-caste too, since Mogh was on the High Council.

I seriously think you guys are getting carried away and being too harsh on Worf here. We're not talking about some pasty fatass nerd obsessing over another country because he finds them ~exotic~, we're talking about a guy who wants to connect with the society his dead parents belonged to.

Now, if Wesley Crusher was all "fuckin', Klingons are the best space empire, they're the most honorable, I only watch Klingon operas with subs not dubs"...

nah worf is definitely a mega weeaboo and it rules but its never stated directly

like. remember that worf is culturally and socially human and was raised in fuckin minsk, and had very little contact w/ klingons (if any really, i dont recall exactly) before TNG starts. so hes like "no i could not couple with these humans, they are too. fragile." and then it turns out worf was a fuckin virgin until he knocked up that one klingon lady who had alexander lmao. and worf is all HONOUR HONOUR HONOUR when every klingon we meet just pays honour lip service while being just about as cynical and pragmatic as anyone else. jadzia dax is a better and less weird/forced klingon than worf is in ds9, in the later seasons where theyre directly juxtaposed as a couple. and when worf really lets someone into his life on a personal level, like at the end of TNG when hes dating troi, he doesnt take them to klingon programs on the holodeck but the freakin shores of the black sea at night. hes very thoroughly human and just emulates klingonism from what is depicted in his anime magazines and it rules really hard

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
recall that the first time worf has sex hes literally like "so now we're married right" to the lady and shes like "man what even is your DEAL cant we just bang" and worf is devastated that he does not marry the first klingon woman he sleeps with lol

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Trying to be realistic w/ star trek is dumb b/c trek is really good when its doing the classic sci-fi thing of handwaving away material considerations/limitations to explore really interesting concepts that have some intellectual or social/cultural hook to them, and extremely bad when its doing the hard sci-fi "wow this cargo configuration wouldnt hold up to the inertial dampers fluctuating very well" thing

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

shadow puppet of a posted:

The Bajorans survived only on the harmonious goodwill and benevolent mercy of one Gull Dukat thank you very much.

who, one will note, did nothing wrong

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
the federation would never issue their forces military kit/uniforms b/c it runs counter to its ideology of Peace And Exploration. its like how, even tho the enterprise is clearly going to be frequently called on to defend the federation, its stuffed to the gunnels with civilians and starfleet families. its "absolutely insane and criminally negligent" how the enterprise rolled up to wolf 359 with a full civilian complement on board, and continued to do so into the borg/dominion war era of "the safety of the fleet is obviously no longer a given". but to withdraw those civilians and start treating intergalactic threats seriously would be to call into question everything that underpins the federation. even the defiant-class ships (no family/civs, limited science/research capacity, lots of weapons) were designed in secret and only deployed on the frontier/where they were absolutely necessary.

just like w/ section 31, the federation bends over backwards incredibly hard to avoid acknowledging that they arent the dominant power in the quadrant via the sheer purity and goodness of their cause

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i mean that huge ideological hang-up isnt really consciously written into the story, short of it being outlined piecemeal in DS9 without being directly confronted as a whole, but it betrays an ideological blindness on behalf of the writers, which happens to be just as interesting

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 26, 2015

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
the motion picture/v'ger are debatably canon at best

st:tmp is an extremely good star trek for when youre high as poo poo tho

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

TEAYCHES posted:

i mean what in the gently caress is wrong with rick berman

: the star trek voyager story

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

A Mean Cow posted:

Can I just interject that they had the worst imagination for holodeck simulations I could possibly conceive of. Really? You have a magic room that lets you experience anything as a physical reality and you just want to play in old movies and always with the historical villages and whatever the hell else happened between 20's and 40's Earth?

They would have to pry me away from that thing. I would spend weeks just experiencing being microscopic in the jungle with a suit of power armor and heavy artillery to defend myself from insects. I would recreate every great video game in history, I would LIVE Ocarina of Time, I would take all my friends and go on this epic adventure in space, flying spaceships and exploring planets and meeting strange new creatures and becoming embroiled in oddly familiar social and political parables.

i think you have a bad imagination too, b/c ds9 correctly handles holodecks by starting from the position that they are almost exclusively for crazy sex simulations and even mentioning a holodeck in polite company is a faux pas

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

A Mean Cow posted:

Lets hear some crazy sex simulations then mister imagination.

just ask riker. he knows whats up.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
they explicitly acknowledge the holodeck is for jerking off in on TNG too, theres that ep where famke janssen is trying really hard to gently caress picard + the entire crew, and she tries super hard to seduce riker and he extricates himself from her embrace and as soon as he's out of her quarters he sighs deeply and is like COMPUTER IS THE HOLODECK FREE lmao

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
computer. ol riker needs to get his bone on. initiate holodeck program riker rawdog one ill be there shortly

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

it really comes through how much fun the tng actors had on set and how they were all genuinely good friends irl :3:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Luigi Thirty posted:

Avery Brooks was standoffish and everyone else on the ds9 set was fuckin'

ive heard rumours that avery brooks got nana visitor pregnant but she didnt keep it, and then later her n alexander siddig got together and had a kid et al, but ive never been able to find a source for it so ive assumed it wasnt true

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
imdb says terry farrell and michael dorn dated irl, which is news to me

everybody on that show was fuckin

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

its extremely upsetting to me that the vast majority of epg tng gifs apparently have not survived the sands of time

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Nathilus posted:

So we're talking about new trek now?

They blew up Vulcan. :( them and their drat moon god.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Delsaber posted:

For me it's a close race between this and Miri. Might have to toss Catspaw in there too.

catspaw rules hard ok

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
when nog talks to sisko about joining sisko directly says that non-citizens can join starfleet but an officer has to write them a letter of recommendation

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
reminder that the reboot has guaranteed that there will never be a thinky classic star trek ever again b/c Grim Dark Your Favorite Actors And Incoherent is a more reliable moneymaker

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

MikeJF posted:

That was Tom Paris/Nick Locarno in Voyager.

ya lol thats such a gently caress You Move to that writer

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
that just means star trek is more likely to die permanently as a franchise, b/c the whole steadily rising blockbuster costs/increasingly intense risk aversion thing hollywood's grappling with is GREAT for people who love iron man enoguh to see 6 iron mans and not much else

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
yeah im more hopeful for the next one cause lin's doing it. the first reboot was forgettable but into darkness was so bad i literally remember almost nothing plot-wise from it

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i really freakin hope the next one doesnt do what into darkness did, which was do a horrible job of tiptoeing the classic star trek - - - doing something new tightrope. where they pull in all kinds of crazy poo poo from the original series- spock dies! khan! tribbles!!- except this time it makes no fuckin sense and carries no dramatic weight and is really clearly just there b/c its something people will recognize. you get the worst of both worlds- stuff being rehashed in a way thats far dumber and less interesting than the original, and in a way that betrays a really obvious fear of straying too far from the Source Material despite explicitly setting itself almost entirely apart from the tos-enterprise ST universe.

like, spock's death- in the original movie it's shocking and kind of heartrending and is very permanent as far as the movie is concerned, with it only getting rolled back a movie later. in the reboot it just, happens, in the same way it originally happened, b/c "thats whats supposed to happen i guess" and it's supremely uninteresting b/c you know full well spock is gonna get revived in like 45 minutes tops. boooooo

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Germstore posted:

except it was kirk, what a twist

TEAYCHES posted:

he admitted he didnt remember the plot and i dont blame him

the coolest thing is i dont even give a poo poo, cause its reboot st

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i'd say that ds9 didn't "find its feet" overall tone-wise until the ~third season by the standards ds9 is usually held to, sure, but on rewatching it now im surprised at how strong a showing it has out the gate. tng had no idea what it was trying to do for the first season and the second is still very shaky, whereas ds9 is way more confident with the material. eps like Run Along Home might not have been what the series became about but its still a far better and more confident showing than any of tng's first season stuff. like, duet, holy fuckin poo poo is that some excellent star trek, and its one of the very first clear characterizations of the bajoran occupation in the entire series

i say to people, start TNG with the pilot then skip straight to season two, but ds9 i say to just watch the whole dang thing

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
now enabran tain, i can get in to

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
computer, give me a cardasssian neck wobble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Tiberius Christ posted:

Janeway: "There's coffee in that nebula!"

Me: I'm out, gently caress this

i enjoyed that bit b/c its well established in star trek that nebulae damage a starship's hull/have some other deleterious effects that always without fail prevents people from hiding in them for very long. centuries away from the nearest starfleet drydock and she's endangering the ship for some fuckin coffee

• Locked thread