Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is from a few pages ago, but I thought early TNG music was pretty bad. It was done in that older 70s/80s (go figure) style where it feels like the music is constantly screaming at you THIS IS A SAD SCENE! DO YOU HEAR THE MINOR CHORDS? DO YOU FEEL SAD ENOUGH YET? and ACTION IS HAPPENING NOW ISN'T IT EXCITING? and pretty much always trying to dictate how you feel about any given scene.

Less overwhelming music is better, sorry.

gently caress off with your goddamn sonic wallpaper, Rick Berman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

This was like two pages ago and I can't believe no one has called you on it yet.

Star Trek is the age of sail in space

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ambrose Burnside posted:

the motion picture/v'ger are debatably canon at best

st:tmp is an extremely good star trek for when youre high as poo poo tho

I unironically enjoy TMP while sober in spite of it's many flaws, but your point is completely valid

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't give a gently caress the 40 minute sequence of just flying over the Enterprise is great

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

TEAYCHES posted:

yea i mean i thought enterprise was poo poo because of its intro song

not kidding tho im serious

That intro was so out of touch I'm convinced it did more to sink the show than 2 seasons of nothing loving happening and equally boring characters

Wowbagger2004 posted:

Hey guys check this out I've been able to get an opportunity to speak with someone that used to put star trek vhs tapes in cardboard sleeves in the video tape factory, here's part one of my 14 page interview with some pretty interesting facts about star trek vhs tapes

My mom is a huge trekkie so she actually had that thing from Columbia House Video where they'd send you the whole show on VHS every month or something, anyway like a week after she got All Good Things in the mail she saw an ad in a flyer for the original series on DVD and all I hear is "loving REALLY" from 2 floors away

Conclusion: Always steal your media

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lexx was cool and good

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Nathilus posted:

gently caress you. Clown dick idiot.

That was probably an episode of Lexx too, you cannot escape

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think at some point you have to stop and ask yourself what the value is in retreading the same ground, and how far away from the original concept of a thing can you get before you should really just not call yourself that thing or admit you want something different

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
TOS through DS9 are awesome in their own ways, flawed in their own ways and the last two shows were the samey boring rehashes with occasional flashes of brilliance.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Germstore posted:

That one good Enterprise episode, where they went to a Western planet. drat that was good. It was like a TOS episode but good.

Yeah it was a really solid ep, it's a shame the rest of the series is completely unlike it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

I personally hate episodes like that in scifi.
It just screams 'Hey guys we could save a whole lot of cash if we made them cowboys/romans/nazis and rented the costumes!".
It ruined Andromeda for example.

That was essentially the marketing pitch to the studio for the original Star Trek.

Andromeda is a good example of a show strangled quickly by studio meddling and to a lesser extent the lead's ego. Arguably it was never good, but it was killed in the crib before getting the same chance to improve that other shows got.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Axanar looks like it might legit be good if it ever gets finished

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Melchior posted:

I don't watch it but I'm fairly sure it doesn't have the large contingent of angry fans of the 'old' dr who pointing angrily at the established mound of canon anytime someone tried to do something 'new' with the story. They tried that with JJTrek and all people did was piss and moan about it 'not being real trek' or 'missing the spirit' and somesuch. BSG was an equally campy stupid show in the 70s and it didn't get that kind of pissing and moaning after the reboot.

In all the years since that movie has come out, I honestly think I've seen more pissing and moaning about old fans having meltdowns over it all than I have any actual meltdowns. Meanwhile, I've had people at work who know I'm a nerd come up to me and start talking about how crappy they feel new films are for many of the same reasons that get talked about in threads like these.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
And the mystery of why they went with Richard Hatch for the original series nerdbait stunt casting (aside from just feeling sorry for finally killing his attempts to revive the old show) is solved!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Wait, I thought this was the poo poo trek posting thread

quick everybody put away their babylon jive dvds

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

One of my favourite things about Star Trek is every form of martial arts from everywhere in the galaxy teaches that double fist strike onto people's backs.

Kira, please demonstrate it's effectiveness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4BQzejs0IA

Not to be all internet tough guy but the one fight I was in during high school I used the old TOS style two fisted gut/backsmash combo on a guy and it actually worked

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Computer increase ambient THC levels by 420%

*bwee bweedeoop*

Unable to comply. Environmental controls require command authorization to deactivate safety protocols

gently caress

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Even when it's bad Star Trek is still more entertaining than 90% of the poo poo that constitutes broadcast television

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

"Needs a little pizzaz" "IGGY POP" "okay I'm in"

Also Rick Berman wasn't really involved in DS9, he just signed off on the scripts after glancing at them. Ira Steven Behr was the DS9 showrunner.

Behr was great. They asked him in to ask him about Enterprise as it was getting off the ground, see if maybe they could lure him on.

Behr's memory: "Rick called me up, it was his initiative. He asked me had I seen Enterprise, I told him no. He asked if I could look at it - they were thinking maybe of stepping back and that "this be another DS9 experience," whatever that meant. I didn't really think it over in terms of what were the chances of that reality happening again. They sent me the three shows, I went in, had a two hour meeting with Rick and Brannon. It was a very cordial meeting, but everything I said I am sure they did not like hearing. I would not liked to have heard it if someone came into my office and talked as bluntly as I was talking to them. Though again, it was done all cordially. After it was over I am sure they were uncomfortable, I was very uncomfortable, we shook hands, Rick said, "well, all interesting stuff, we'll think it over," and I never heard from him again."

Braga's memory: "I needed help. We brought in Ira. And he poo poo all over the show. I mean, he poo poo on the show like I have never heard. All the crabby internet stuff balled into one nuclear weapon. He hated the show, hated the characters, hated the concept, just thought it was a piece of poo poo. It was one hell of a job interview. I don’t even know why he came, to be honest."

:allears:

Lol what "crabby internet stuff", like your characters are bland as poo poo and your stories are boring retreads of the same crap you were pulling on Voyager? Braga should have stuck to doing coke and being called in for weird TNG eps because years later it's pretty clear that he was never the brains of that operation

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

My Q-Face posted:

Yeah, rather than change the fundamental ideas, they just changed the technobabble.

The best part is how the technology even looks, acts and essentially sounds the same as it does in the TNG era, VFX and all. I think ENT's phasers are a little more pinkish and the beam appears/dissipates faster, that's all.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

The idea behind the Borg episode was cool and there was a real reason they were there beyond "because people remember them" like the Ferengi episode

Honestly the Borg episode was better than it had any right to be until the very last scene, they even got Brian Tyler to come in and do an actual memorable musical score for this one.

My Q-Face posted:

We developed electricity, massive cargo ships, railroads, cars, airplanes, telephones, standardized industrial production, refridgeration and so forth all within the space of fifty years, and yet here we are a hundred years later and half the world is still barely surviving at a subsistence level not much different than they were two hundred years ago.

All the capitalists were killed or forced off world during WW3, and presumably the Vulcans' influence and the suvivors' distaste for mindless consumerism that led to their near extinction helped quash whatever remained allowing humanity to flourish

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

My Q-Face posted:

That's all fine and good to say, but "greed" is human nature, it doesn't just "go away" because mindless consumerism does. It's not even just human nature, it's animal nature. Crocodiles will leave the safety of the water and risk being attacked by angry mammals just to avoid sharing their food with other crocs. Chimpanzees will share kills with the chimps who helped them, or the females who support them, but even the Alpha Male of the group has to beg and have to be satisfied with nothing if he didn't participate in the hunt, and the normally social-hierarchy conscious chimps don't even care. That and grudges don't just go away within living memory. A personal sense of injustice is also very deeply ingrained in the primate brain.

I mean, I could see it happening, that's one of those things that the whole hope aspect of Star Trek is about, but not in less than a single generation.

You know all that poo poo about Data/The Doctor/whatever AI of the week exceeding the sum of it's programming? It's us we're the robots

Tujague posted:

Jesus christ, every three pages with you morons farting out profound philosophical biotruths you realized after being made euphoric by your own intellect

Maybe you should write clumsy, hilariously unexamined social commentary scripts for a hokey 1960's sci-fi show or something

The Negrons are black

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

No I genuinely like First Contact as it's own movie. The Bad Guy is a good Bad Guy, you get to see Earth before it was all like "Hey we live in a utopia and everything is perfect" and the movie ends with the first contact with the Vulcans, which is like "Oh poo poo and this is like where the whole thing started"

The two things that ruined First Contact weren't even in the film.

The first thing was Picard kills the Borg Queen and everyone is like "HA! The Hive Mind is hosed" and then in Voyager the Queen is just like "Sup guys. Oh yeah killing me makes no difference".

The next was that the gap between the Vulcans being like "Holy poo poo these humans are dirty barbarians" and TOS was cool left unexplored. It could have been cool if Enterprise had explored this time properly, but it didn't so watching First Contact's ending now doesn't have the same feeling.

Honestly I feel like First Contact has caught a lot more poo poo in recent years less because of anything it did by itself, but because of how Voyager took stuff from it and ran it into the ground and the way the rest of the TNG movies afterward felt like they were poorly trying to copy a "winning formula"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

My Q-Face posted:

I love that Hitler is always the focus of these time travel fantasists, like he's the one guy in all of history who time travellers would seek out. Not Napoleon, not Genghis Khan, not Bagosora, not Gavrilo Princip or Abdul Hamid, not Julius Caesar's assassins, not the leader of the Visigoths, no, it's Hitler.

There should have been an episode where Data is forced to assassinate Ayn Rand or the Federation never comes to pass

Eventually he reasons it's cool because she was objectively evil

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

but i mean nothing in the universe beats some loving JAMBALAYA

The other night as I was stacking food on shelves at my minimum wage slave job, I came across a package labeled "Jambalaya"

JAMBALAYA I exclaimed excitedly, before I realized that it was 4 am and real life and nobody else could hear me

Star Trek

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

AdvancesMONKEY posted:

There should never be another star trek show. Ever. Its done. Nowadays issues can be talked about openly and startreks lack of AI and robots and general simplicity don't work.

Nobody in a position to make a Star Trek series would have the balls or the awareness to make a show bold enough to break new ground or at the very least, piss off the right assholes in the world

Everybody who isn't a pampered little poo poo knows the future we're heading into is a dystopian nightmare owned by soulless multinationals controlled by untouchable oligarchs that eventually enforce their will with unstoppable killer drone armies and relentless propaganda, Star Trek's optimism is hopelessly naive in the face of that and while it might be argued that we need optimism more than ever, at this point I'm more inclined to agree it's time is past and that we now need topical sci fi that is willing to tackle the issues facing us more directly than conventional space opera is typically able to

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

EvilTaytoMan posted:

It makes you wonder what happened to religion in the Federation between the 23rd and 24th centuries to make it so atheist. Afterall, the original Enterprise had a chapel on board and Kirk at least sounded like he believed in God.

Maybe it had something to do with Federation starships running into god like beings (some of whom freely admit they actually posed as gods of antiquity on ancient Earth) and then either completely outwitting them or being horribly destroyed/enslaved by them every second Tuesday?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

TEAYCHES posted:

what does god need with a starship

Star Trek 5 is cool and good

no really, in spite of it's many flaws

man's gods and religions are tiny and dumb compared to the vastness and grandeur of what little of the actual universe we have been fortunate to come to understand in just the last two centuries

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
JAMBALAYAAAAA

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
You guys think Garrett Wang hot boxed the Delta Flyer?

I bet he did

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ambrose Burnside posted:

TOS is campy fun but that's about all it has going for it and definitely isnt actually legitimately good TV. better than voyager but that is ruthless damning w/ faint praise

No actually

TOS is Cool and Good

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bible posted:

We're all going to watch it but lol if you actually pay for it

loving lol if you pay to watch television programming

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Here you go thread, have all the star treks at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0S8rmcRVOA

This is just my brain normally

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Is there a list of all the crazy space fabrics they used on costumes and set pieces over the years on TNG because I have no taste and would love to reupholster everything with weird poo poo like that one day

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

lol that's awesome thanks

MikeJF posted:

The whole point of section 31 is that they're morally abhorrent. They're the bad guys. A show about them could only be about the fight against them.

a lot of star trek fans are actually morally abhorrent dipshits that deserve to be spoken down to

I mean a lot of episodes fall short but the fans will always find a way to be worse

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
As long as Section 31 are presented as bad guys and not held up as Tough Men making Hard Choices (because they aren't, they're cowards), I don't see how they're much different than the scores of rear end in a top hat rogue admirals or psychotic xenosociologists over the years. The Federation is a utopian society yes but as Picard said, they must be vigilant to maintain it.

If I want a right-wing circlejerk I'll watch literally any cop or crime show or the news or basically 90% of mainstream entertainment, leave Trek out of it thanks

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
We should all be so lucky to end up in our lives as loving awesome as Avery Brooks, don't any of you forget it.

Kitchner posted:

The only thing that makes S31 interesting is the fact the nation/empire/public etc it is trying to protect would inherently find it totally abhorrent.

If you just made an S31 show and put it in the 21st century it would be dull. There are too many shows where they basically endorse torture and extra judicial methods as "the ends justify the means" whereas the point all the (non-S31) characters make is that the ends DON'T justify the means.

I want an episode in the new Trek series (I know I won't get what I want here but indulge me) where the crew beams down undercover to a pre-warp society, only they end up in the alien equivalent of one of our modern police procedurals and by the end of the story they're so disgusted by the behaviour of the aliens that they decide to violate the Prime Directive and just phaser the poo poo out of all the terrible alien cops in frustration before beaming away

It's what Kirk and Sisko would do

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I thought this got CoD'd by CBS awhile back?

So star trek nerds I require your help.

I'm currently knitting a star trek potholder for a secret santa. It looks like this but it's black and gold (each side is the inverse of the other).

Now since potholders come in groups of two, should I make another identical one in black and gold, one in red and black or gold, or should I make one with another insignia on it. The Klingon insignia would be easy enough to adapt in some combination of red/black/gold.

What should I do, dear nerds?
[/quote]

I would go with doing another emblem but these are awesome and adorable!

Keep in mind I would buy and wear a "Dukat Was Right" shirt so

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Blake's 7 did that kind of thing several times with Servalan, too.

Blake's 7 is more entertaining than any space show made since BSG and I'm only 3 episodes in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Harveygod posted:

Special Guest Star: Charlie Sheen.

Why not, his dad did that Babylon 5 TV movie

• Locked thread