Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kitchner posted:

He appears as a like 17th century ship captain because he's essentially mocking the crew and wearing uniforms illustrating humanity's awful past. The explorers who killed loads of black people, a captain from WW2, and then as a judge from Earth's post nuclear war tyrannical society.

At one point in there Q is wearing something pretty darn close to Ollie North's exact uniform from the Iran-Contra hearing. Which was a current event at the time the episode was being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tarkus posted:

Even as a kid I found it strange that they didn't have small one-person (or computer controlled) war ships that would fly out of the larger craft to confuse and inundate the opposing ship(s).

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Because Navy ships don't do that, and Starfleet is The Navy In Space.

This was like two pages ago and I can't believe no one has called you on it yet.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Uhh apart from the fact a rail gun fires a slug of solid metal which would just bounce off star trek shields? Same goes for missiles and any other crap, it's why all the weapons are energy based.

And yet their ultimate last-ditch weapon? Ramming.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

TEAYCHES posted:

there would definitely have to be a cardassian crewman tho i think theres a lot of traction there

They already have every new show feature a crewman from a group that was introduced as a blood enemy in a previous one.

TNG? Klingon in Starfleet.
DS9? Ferengi in Starfleet.
Voyager? Maquis in Starfleet.
(Enterprise doesn't count.)

Clearly we're due for a Cardassian ensign. And once that new show introduces the dastardly Zimpoglians, three guesses what the next show will feature!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Kitchner posted:

How about a series set in the Mirror Universe around the time of TNG with an evil Federation and the start of the rebellion movement. Where nearly all the humans are actually the bad guys.

Hell, I'd love to see a series set in that parallel universe from the episode Parallels where hobo-Riker is all "THE FEDERATION'S GONE, THE BORG ARE EVERYWHERE"

Also, found while looking up that episode. In some parallel quantum universe or other, it looks like they already beat us to the brilliant idea:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

shadow puppet of a posted:

the only french-rooted word in the entire ST universe, 'Maquis'

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

:aaaaa: Remember the gold half-models of the ships named Enterprise from TNG? Ronald D. Moore has had them for twenty years. He rescued them from a dumpster. They're now mounted again, I can only assume on his living room wall.

https://twitter.com/RonDMoore/status/601911511821324288

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Janeway was actually really religious

The only MORAL violation of the Prime Directive is MY violation of the Prime Directive

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I can save multiple lives by taking someone alive today and harvesting their organs. Do I?

Only if they're about to be run over by a trolley.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Rutibex posted:

yeah, and they killed them before they could turn the super warp drive off. they still have it by the end of the episode, they make no attempt to say it broke or anything, so presumably the federation should have been able to copy the technology

Not necessarily. Imagine you go back in time and give Benjamin Franklin an iPad (with a solar charger or something). He was a really smart guy, one of the top scientists of his day, and I think he'd figure out a lot about how to use it. He'd love the calculator app and would probably get pretty good at Candy Crush too. But he wouldn't have a hope in hell of copying the technology and building another one.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Allow me to rank the crew by fighting prowess, presuming a one on one battle taking place in an average room or in quarters on the enterprise, not a dedicated fighting arena:

Data
Riker
Worf
Yar
Picard
Ensign Ro
Dr. Pulaski
O'Brien
Troi
Dr. Crusher
Barclay
Wesley
Geordi
Guinan (non mystic-powered)

Let's include off-ship recurring characters too. I'd put Lore just barely underneath Data (identical capabilities, but as a wise man once said, anger is a weapon only to one's opponent), Lwaxana Troi just under Ensign Ro (she's only that high because she can literally read the other person's mind and so would know what they're about to do), and Admiral Nechayev just above Riker (she would gently caress your poo poo UP.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Orange Sunshine posted:

I doubt she had any concerns about this. Before Kai winn, she played Nurse Ratched in one flew over the cuckoo's nest.

:aaa: I somehow never made the connection that that was the same actress.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Figaro posted:

I sometimes get tng and my early childhood memories mixed up. So I have fond memories of the time my mum lost her empathetic powers and became a bitch or that the time my parents turned the sun room into a alien temple and Data jumped out wearing a silly mask

Or all those times Dr. Crusher gave you a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on your way out the door to school.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

And the episode that was entirely in the mirror universe was fun.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Nondescript Van posted:

DS9 has been much more enjoyable since I found a guide telling me what episodes are poo poo.

Was it your vision quest animal guide thing? Let's try it...

(puts hand on electro-peyote thing)
A-koo-chee-moya. We are far from the sacred places of Desilu, and from the bones of Roddenberry, but perhaps there is one powerful being who will embrace these shitposters and give them the answer they seek.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MonsieurLongDong posted:

My wife just finished TNG for the first time and watched Generations and First Contact for the first time.

She liked Generations better.

I'm considering whether divorce or annulment is preferable.

I admit that's a very bad sign, but hold on for just one more movie. If she likes Insurrection better than either of those two, then mere severing is no longer adequate. It's time to start figuring out who among your friends can be trusted to help you dispose of an unusually heavy rolled-up carpet.

loving Ba'ku anyway.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Star Trek: The Musical! Get Joss Whedon to write and score it and everyone will love it. They might not ADMIT to loving it... but oh, they'll love it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Figaro posted:

Klingons killed their God/Creator. Says it all really

So THAT'S what happened to Gene L. Coon. :ohdear:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Orange Sunshine posted:

Klingon-Ferengi hybrid.

After another hundred years, interbreeding will be so common that people will have to think hard to remember what the hell they are.

:j: "Let's see... from my mom's side I'm a quarter each of Bolian and Zakdorn. From my dad's side I'm an eighth each of Melkotian, Bynar, Calamarain, and... oh, I always forget the last one. What the hell was it... oh yeah, Human! How about you?"

:v: "No idea, I was adopted. I've definitely got some Horta in me and probably a bit of Selay, but damned if I know where this forehead came from."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Kitchner posted:

I bet Romulans are super hot in bed.

It's always a chess game. Move, countermove...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

There's at least once where the Enterprise almost accidentally ruined a planet with some phaser drill thing. The planet was already in trouble , but it goes to show how easy you can screw up and nearly ruin a civilization.

And don't forget the "warp without warp drive" experiment from that TNG episode, the one that went wrong and almost destroyed its destination planet before our heroes saved the day. Intentionally repeat the "transient power imbalance" and that thing is a Death Star that you can fire from light-years away.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Also to all the people saying the star could have destroyed the galaxy I super don't remember that at all.

And that right there is the biggest difference between classic Trek and JJ Trek -- we hopeless nerds haven't bothered to memorize everything about JJ Trek. We can quote the Rules of Acquisition. We remind people of the time Captain Kirk apparently forgot all about his actual dead brother when he metaphorically referred to Spock as the brother he lost. Hell, a lot of us could tell you how many docking latches hold a Galaxy-class saucer to the stardrive section. But major plot points of JJ Trek? "I think that was... uh... well I remember thinking it was dumb when they said it. Something about that supernova? Being too big or something?"

If this was about something from Wrath of Khan, eleven people would have jumped in with the exact quote by now.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

"Lt. Cmdr. Data is a sentient being with all the rights and privileges of a Starfleet officer and Federation citizen. However, if you want to essentially mutiliate or hook a car battery up to the whatevers of his brother, I don't see a problem. Hell, before we got him back here, I was sexually abusing the dismantled body."

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Well they did permanently dismantle him so I don't see why they couldn't have donated his body to Science. It's what Soong would've wanted... probably.

I always liked how they spent an entire episode confirming that Data is a sentient being who cannot be forcibly deactivated without due process of law, and then Lore was the baddie one time too many so Data just shut him the hell off and took him apart at the end of the episode because gently caress that guy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

No sentient being would wear body-sculpted cable knit sweaters.

Riker disagrees...

Source for all your Star Trek fashion critiquing needs: http://sttngfashion.tumblr.com/
(This one is from that episode with the planet of the Irish stereotypes)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

sinking belle posted:

What are some good weird "something's wrong with everything but everyone thinks I'm crazy" episodes? Watched Remember Me and Parallels with a buddy who hasn't seen much star trek yesterday and realised that those are my favourite kind of star trek thing.

"Frame of Mind" is a pretty freaky one in that category.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Entropic posted:

The stories tell of a lost technology from before the eugenics wars known as "few-zez" that had the power to prevent needless explosions.

Under one of the lesser-known terms of the Treaty of Algeron, the Federation agreed not to pursue fuse technology. But it's not all one-sided, the Romulans are stuck using fountain pens since they agreed not to develop ballpoints.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

How many appearances does Majel Barrett-Roddenberry have voicing computers on TNG, DS9, Voy and the lovely Scott Bakula one, as well as playing Troi's mom/Odo's stalker?

A really quick copy-paste and line count from here gives me 301 appearances. That includes even tiny things like the "Previously, on Star Trek: The Next Generation" for part two of two-parters, and may well include some duplicates (e.g. if she was both Lwaxana and the computer in an episode).

On that same article, I learned that she left four million dollars and a mansion to her pet dogs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I wonder what color Tobin Dax's recolor of Sonic the Hedgehog was.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Here you go thread, have all the star treks at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0S8rmcRVOA

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, the Federation is a boring place. That's why you don't make Star Trek about the Federation.

They had such an amazing opportunity to explore this with Voyager. One ship, stranded all alone in hostile space. A quarter or so of the crew is actually from a faction that was, for all intents and purposes, AT WAR with the Federation. They were going to have to make some very hard choices about which of their Federation (and Maquis) ideals to keep, and which ones would have to fall by the wayside if they're even going to survive. They might arrive at some surprising conclusions... and the audience might come to agree with them, that maybe the Federation way that they'd loved for years and years of Star Trek wasn't so perfect after all. And if it was all done really well, it would say something about the present day too. Honestly this was the best premise for a Star Trek show since the original series. There was so much they could have done with it.

And they went immediately to alien-of-the-week, with scripts that wanted so hard to be TNG episodes that practically all you'd need to do is change the character names and bang, TNG. It very rarely FELT like they were actually stranded out there. Sure, they mentioned their situation a lot, but they stayed a bog-standard Starfleet ship and crew that felt like they stopped in at a starbase every few episodes.

When DS9 ended and Ronald D. Moore hopped over to Voyager, he wanted to make the show true to its premise, but they wouldn't let him. So he left and made Battlestar Galactica. For all the show's faults in later seasons, THAT ship at least FELT like it was stranded all alone in a hostile universe.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MikeJF posted:

And of course one of the lead writers in season one was gay and tried to have a gay allegory storyline with a gay couple there but the execs blocked that and soon after he was pressured to leave. (Gene was super up for it but then Berman and Gene's crazy Lawyer homophobe'd everywhere and convinced him they couldn't do it or the show would be cancelled) (apparently Berman was a massive homophobe)

Found more details, with a lengthy comment by the author:

quote:

"Blood and Fire" was a controversial episode written by David Gerrold. It allegedly involved gay characters and an allegory to AIDS. The rejection of this episode partly led to Gerrold leaving TNG.

In a 2011 interview, Gerrold concurred, "My cause at the time was blood donorship, and I knew that people were so terrified of AIDS they had even stopped donating blood. So I wanted 'Blood and Fire' to be about the fear of AIDS – not the disease but the fear – and one of the plot points involved having the crew donate blood to save the lives of the away team. I thought, 'If we do this episode right, where blood donorship is part of solving the problem, we can put a card at the end telling viewers that they could donate blood to save lives, too.' I thought it was something Trek should be doing, raising social awareness on an issue, and if we did it right, we could probably generate a million new blood donors at a time when there was a critical shortage."

"There were two characters who were not very important to the story, but they were the kind of background characters you need. At one point Riker says to one of them, 'How long have you two been together?' That was it. The guy replies, 'Since the Academy.' That's it. That's all you need to know about their relationship. If you were a kid, you'd think they were just good buddies. If you were an adult, you'd get it. But I turned in the script and that's when the excrement hit the rotating blades of the electric air circulation device. There was a flurry of memos, pro and con. One memo said, 'We're going to be on at four in the afternoon in some places and we're going to get angry letters from mommies.' My response was, 'If we get people writing letters, it shows they're involved in the show, and that's exactly what we want. We want them engaged, and a little controversy will be great for us.' And I said, 'Gene [Roddenberry] made a promise to the fans. If not here, where? If not now, when?' But the episode got shelved anyway and that's when I knew I wasn't going to be allowed to write the very best stories we should be writing. The original show was about taking chances. If we weren't going to take chances, we weren't doing Star Trek. So I let my contract expire and I went off to do [...] other things." [4]

The story was included in the reference book Lost Voyages of Trek and The Next Generation (pp. 85-90). Gerrold later adapted and directed the script for the fan series Star Trek: Phase II. The episode also featured Denise Crosby.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Undeveloped_Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_episodes#Blood_and_Fire

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Tuvok is in Fallout 4?

Tuvok has been everywhere, man.

https://vimeo.com/79792771

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Remember when Riker got doubled in that transporter accident? It's a good thing that didn't happen again and leave us with three Rikers, because the third one would have to instantly become a literal Nazi.

Because he'd be a Third Reich-er :haw:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tujague posted:

Someday (2017) we will look back on Enterprise as median-quality trek

At least the theme song was only awful pop ballad rock, not awful post-alternative rockabilly hiphop.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

On the night that this was first broadcast, I couldn't help but imagine the writers' room discussion:

:v: "So... um... we're all aware that there are going to be like a thousand nerd weddings, probably at conventions or something, that follow whatever the gently caress we come up with here, word for word, right? Because... I mean... gently caress."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

skasion posted:

To be fair, TOS has two and a half main characters

In the South, they figured it as six and three-fifths main characters.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

My Q-Face posted:

Enjoy season three episode one, then :mmmhmm:

That's the one where there's been serious speculation that the script was submitted as a joke, and the showrunners just didn't pick up on it and made it anyway.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Federation HQ went through an audiophile phase.
I guess that explains why the helm controls in Star Trek VI had all those sound board sliders. It's to give the impulse engines that lovely warm, analog feel.

Clark Nova posted:

I think most of the poo poo like that in wookiepedia is just slavishly documenting dumb, awful Expanded Universe garbage where the authors had weird restrictions imposed on them by Lucas and had to refer back to the movies constantly. A boundless universe of adventure with millions of worlds that are all populated mostly by smugglers in cantinas and there are like twelve people out of trillions who can ever do anything that matters.
From what I've heard, this was because only part of the sales of the Star Wars novels were to hardcore fans who actually followed the EU. A substantial fraction was just people in bookshops going "Oh hey look, Star Wars. I loved that as a kid, this book ought to be fun." Those people are expecting to read about the adventures of Luke and Leia and Han, not about some character invented by Karen Traviss who's still trying to help a planet invented by Timothy Zahn recover from a disaster that happened in a novel by Kevin J. Anderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeaehxEdpgo

• Locked thread