Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Just watched Renegades. It's hilariously bad.
My favourite part is when Emo Girl and Bad Guy are fighting, Bad Guy knocks John Connor out of the way and then both Emo Girl and Bad Guy stare at him for like a good 10 seconds before Bad Guy remembers to shoot him. Such awesome choreography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Lol at the Federation having trained soldiers.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The Federation totally should've gone ahead and mass produced the phase shifting cloaking device, treaties be damned. :colbert:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It would have been cool if they broke out the phase shifting cloaking device for the Defiant during the Dominion War, even if it meant they had to share that technology with the Romulans as a result.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

TEAYCHES posted:

i always liked the humiliating, heavily padded outfits the romulan empire forced their people to wear

Their 23rd Century uniforms looked better.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

TEAYCHES posted:

speaking of uniforms one of the biggest missed opportunities for voyager was the maquis rebels immediately wearing pressed and clean starfleet uniforms after a day on the ship

you even have someone like traitor tom paris who they just scooped up from a federation gulag, part of his character could have been a "gently caress you mom im wearing whatever i want"

i mean obv could have been done better than that but it would have been interesting. the maquis were an ideological, committed rebel group, its understandable that theyd team up once their ship blew up and they were thrown into the delta quadrant but being totes cool with tuvok being a traitor and getting along with the starfleet officers with little character conflict was boring as gently caress

Yeah it would've been nice if they showed they were a little different that the regular crew other than some pips, but as it was they got assimilated into to rest of the crew and you couldn't tell the difference between the crews.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Also copyright is a bitch.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

If Worf were any good he'd make programmes based on his Japanese animes Klingon operas.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I wonder if there was a holodeck programme that was their equivalent to an MMO? Like playing with people from different ships/nearby bases within a few lightyears of eachother. I guess it would depend on how subspace communication works exactly.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Don't forget that in the parallel universe the Bajorans are an evil empire that conquered the Cardassians.

Actually the Bajorans had been conquered by the Terran Empire and they joined the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance after freeing them.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Wrong parallel universe brah

Whoops, thought you were talking about the Mirror Universe for some reason, not the one where the Bajorans are even bigger dicks than they usually are.

chaosbreather posted:

Seska was Cardassian and she at least had a starfleet field commission

Does it count if she was pretending to be Bajoran?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Entropic posted:

He'd probably be smart enough to play a completely different character and have subtle jabs against the Wesley Crusher character.

Mirror Universe Wesley Crusher.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think they should make more Star Trek Renegades.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Guys get this. We take star trek. We take game of thrones. We take house of cards.

Then we mash them all up into a frankenstiens monster of a TV show and rake in the money.

Need to add in The Walking Dead. I mean zombies are still popular, right? You could have a zombie crewman! This show will print money.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Tuvix was better at Tuvok's job than Tuvok though. He was probably also better at whatever it is Kneelix does than Kneelix too.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I can save multiple lives by taking someone alive today and harvesting their organs. Do I?

The Vidians did nothing wrong.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

My favourite Quark moment is when he out-logics a Vulcan.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I guess that would explain why a supposedly omniscient being didn't see that punch coming.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Q getting hit by Sisko probably had the same effect of him getting hit by a toddler.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The Bible posted:

The Bajorans.

If only Q would've done the Federation one final favour and chuck Bajor into the wormhole. No war with the Dominion, Bajorans get to be with their Prophets, everybody wins.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Garak also wouldn't have put his spoon dick in disgusting BJ vaginas.

I dunno, he did try to stick it in that half-Bajoran daughter of Dukat. :smug:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Kitchner posted:

I feel he'd have hosed a jar of mayonnaise if he thought it was Dukat's daughter.

Wasn't there an episode where he thought that the only reason she was coming on to him was because she was spying on him for Dukat?
But yeah I guess once he realised she wasn't he got full on :heysexy:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The only thing I remember about that episode is that Chakotay starts writing things down so he won't forget. Considering it's never mentioned again I can only assume that when he did read what he wrote after he forgot, he must have put it down to bad e-pot/"spirit journey".

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

skasion posted:

This reminds me of the episode where Kirk gets kidnapped by weirdo lady from the planet where they can whip up a nearly perfect replica of the Enterprise overnight, but can't invent condoms to solve their Malthusian catastrophe

That's because they had super sperm that broke through condoms or something. And vasectomies didn't work because they were supposed to have regen powers.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Season one Data is best Data.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Nondescript Van posted:

DS9 has been much more enjoyable since I found a guide telling me what episodes are poo poo. Now I can watch an entire season of content in 4 hours.

My guide told me to watch Babylon 5 instead.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Delsaber posted:

A surprising number of guest stars appear on both shows, too. The "hey, it's that guy" factor might help some folks get into B5 who otherwise wouldn't.

Walter Kroening :allears:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

shadow puppet of a posted:

Somewhere out there is a gross fat trekkie couple that uses Anjohl and Adami as pet names for each other.

And I couldn't be more jealous of their love.

They probably call eachother Imzadi.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Star Trek: Macquis

A series following the exploits of a Federation dirt farmer living in the Cardassian demilitarized zone, giving us an insight on why anyone would want to live there when they could live anywhere else in the luxury that being part of a utopian post scarcity civilization provides and not have to worry about being wiped out by the Cardassians at any moment.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's because they're the spacefuture equivalent of assholes who are so against vaccination they'd rather homeschool their kids

if they had cars i bet they'd have "wolf 359 was an inside job" bumper stickers

Ok, then change it to the perspective of a Cardassian Gul assigned to the area for peacekeeping having to put up with these crazy Federation fundies and slowly gives into "accidentally" allowing the Cardassian colonists who are just as bad to arm themselves and wage war on them in the vague hope that they'll do everyone a favour by wiping eachother out.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Figaro posted:

Klingons killed their God/Creator. Says it all really

And yet they couldn't be arsed to kill their version of Satan. Talk about lazy.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

There's also that one episode where Worf is stuck in a Jem Hadar ship on a planet with some of the other crew. There's a random engineer with O'Brien that gets injured and is dying and Worf asks why O'Brien doesn't put him out of misery. Then he wonders why O'Brien is so upset with him.

Worf. The Klingon who's been raised by humans, been friends with and works with humans all his life doesn't understand why O'Brien might be upset at the idea of a mercy killing.
I can't tell if this is him being out of character or he's just such a massive weeaboo for Klingon culture that's he's ignored everything he's learned about humans.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Speaking of the iEnterprise movies, who gives a poo poo about sterilizing one planet at a time, when a star can go super nova and threaten the entire galaxy! :suicide:

Remind me why the Romulans didn't just evacuate the system?

Also Babylon 5 was pretty good.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Because saving the Romulan homeworld was a gesture Spock thought would bring the unification of the Romulan and Vuclan people, but then accidentally caused the destruction of Vulcan in the process.

Oh what great irony.

At least it lead to Dr Bone's Miracle Blood which can literally cure death.

I meant if they knew that their sun was about to blow up long enough to contact Spock and for him to come up with a solution, why couldn't they have evacuated the system in the meantime as a precautionary measure in case this experimental new procedure doesn't work? And even if it did work, wouldn't they have to move anyways because the sun is gone? Assuming it was their sun going supernova and not a nearby sun that is.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 20, 2015

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Also to all the people saying the star could have destroyed the galaxy I super don't remember that at all. I remember Romulus was definetly going to be destroyed by the star which I suppose could have dire consequences for the galaxy as the Romulan Empire collapses into civil war, but the point is that Spock didn't stop the sun going supernova and it killed Nero's family, not Spock's.

So it's not like Nero came back in time and he was like "Dude you killed the entire galaxy" he's like "Dude you killed all the Romulans by being too slow"

I don't remember that either, but then again I only watched it once. I get why Nero would be pissed if Spock failed to save Romulus but if the whole galaxy was hosed it then it seems a bit counter-intuitive to not help the one guy who might be able to prevent it now that they've ended up century in the past with a second chance to stop it.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Angela Christine posted:

:agreed:

We never see it, but it is quite likely that the Federation (and cardasian empire) encouraged people to settle that frontier to firm up their claims of sovereignty to the area. Like china building up those artificial islands and moving some folks onto them. You don't want to let the other guys colonize that space first.

That territorial conflict eventually lead to war. O'brian was a bitter veteran of that war, and never really got over his dislike of cardies. The people who eventually become the Maquis are the ones who didn't just evacuate back to the safe core worlds when war first broke out. It's likely that the federation military recruited fighters from the young men and women on those frontier planets. Join the Federation marines and fight for your world! While the core worlds were hemming and hawing about the situation, there was probably some pretty virulent jingoism on the frontier worlds. You fought for the federation, you fought for your land, some of your friends and family died in that fight -- and then the federation makes peace and gives away your land for the sake of pretty borders. You weren't even losing the war, the distant politicians just decided to make a peace agreement that gives your house to a filthy spoonhead. Imagine the sense of betrayal.

Yeah, the Federation did try to make it up to them. Give them whole new planets. Better planets. Any kind of planets they want. But still, they are justifiably angry after all that. The federation isn't wrong, in the long term peace and pretty borders is best for both species, but in the short term a spoonhead is going to take your house.

Except that those Federation citizens weren't even required to leave by the Cardassians, at least not initially. There was a TNG episode about it, ending with the Cardassians saying "You can stay. You leave us alone and we'll leave you alone." I think they technically had to give up Federation citizenship but that's about it. I also forget what actually got them fighting again.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

If that one guy ever got around to mass producing Soong-type androids like Data, you wouldn't even have that to do. You'd probably envy Thompson and his brig duties. As such a meaningless and low-priority task, a Data-clone is too valuable to waste on that.

Enjoy wasting your empty life on the holodeck!

I wonder if they ever got around to donating Lore to that one guy.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

"Lt. Cmdr. Data is a sentient being with all the rights and privileges of a Starfleet officer and Federation citizen. However, if you want to essentially mutiliate or hook a car battery up to the whatevers of his brother, I don't see a problem. Hell, before we got him back here, I was sexually abusing the dismantled body."

Well they did permanently dismantle him so I don't see why they couldn't have donated his body to Science. It's what Soong would've wanted... probably.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

If only the Federation hadn't culled all the religious people, they might have a Buddhist hanging around to explain poo poo to them.

It makes you wonder what happened to religion in the Federation between the 23rd and 24th centuries to make it so atheist. Afterall, the original Enterprise had a chapel on board and Kirk at least sounded like he believed in God.

Angela Christine posted:

Didn't Keiko start a school or something? I seem to remember something about somebody trying to get the non-human children on the station to go to the federation school.

Besides, the teachers seem to be mostly cheerleaders. The computers have courses for everything programed in. The computer can talk to you, like a human. The computer can also show you 3D examples of everything. Computer is your friend.
Yes and she seemed to treat it as something of a hobby. I mean you don't hear anything about it when she talks about going to Bajor to look at plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So it really was Keiko that was behind that bombing.

• Locked thread