Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Garak is one of my favorite TV characters of all time. He owns so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Just finished watching DS9 with my fiancée, who had never seen it. Now we are sad that there is no more DS9, and also she agrees that the Sisko Becomes Space Jesus part is arguably the least interesting story arc of the final season.

But I was reminded of just how impressive it is that the writers and Nicole de Boer managed to make Ezri a fully-realized character in such a short amount of time.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Hot drat the grey streaks in her hair are just :swoon:

But to be honest it really makes tons of sense that she left DS9 to do Becker. There was only one season left on Start Truck but Becker just miiiiiiiight have been the next Frasier and in any event didn't she end up with four more years of a steady network job?

And Ezri was really cool. Even cooler would have been if Dax had been like 3-4 different people over the course of the series.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Orange Sunshine posted:

You forgot to mention the bad lighting. Harsh shadows everywhere, weird colored lights everywhere. There's a pink light on one wall, some green lights shining over here, some blue lights over there. It wouldn't be Star Trek TOS without colored lights against the walls in every drat scene.

They finally have decent market penetration for color TV and they sure as gently caress aren't going to waste it with gray-on-black uniforms and white lighting.

e;f,b

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

My Q-Face posted:

A renegade federation historian who thought he could keep it from getting out of hand, but ended up getting drugged and trotted out as a figurehead by an actual militant fascist.

He just wanted the trains to run on time, dammit.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

The Bible posted:

That was only if she would rule against Quinn.

Yeah, I just re-watched that ep. with *MY FIANCEE* and I have to say that, yes, Janeway made the right call. Big-picture, anyway.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Cardassian chicks are hot because they have personality. Also :krad: dress sense.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

It's a fake

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Didn't he call Guinan a charming negress

No, that was Abraham Lincoln, to Uhura.

Then he apologized if he'd offended her, and she said it was okay and that their society had evolved beyond being offended by words.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
He was assassinated by Elim Wilkes Booth.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

eSports Chaebol posted:

i mean in a crazy utopian future where black people arent actually in any way disadvantaged it probably would be okay for everyone to say "friend of the family" though

Kitchner posted:

This is actually pretty funny.

I get the point they are trying to make, but still.

"You loving friend of the family scum, you're sub human filth that don't deserve to be serving on a ship next to these white folk"

"Sorry, I am from a society that has evolved beyond being offended by words so I'm literally not bothered at all that you said that "

Imagine if you were like the only racist guy in Starfleet, you could just say whatever you want and it would phase people.

I think they would still recognize such a person as an idiot, they just wouldn't waste the time on being offended.

Also Uhura definitely knew Lincoln was about 400 years out of time, and cut him some slack.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Entropic posted:

BSG isn't a DS9 Equivalent, it's a Voyager reboot.

Yeah it's like everything interesting about Voyager condensed into 3 seasons' worth of great sci-fi (plus one season's worth of mediocre-to-bad sci-fi).

Gaeta is the Ensign Kim we should have gotten, and Admiral Cain is the Captain Janeway that Kate Mulgrew should have gotten to play.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Man, that smile.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
It's especially odd that after Season 4 or 5 of DS9, the position of First Minister ceases to exist. Remember in "Rapture" when Bajor is about to gain entry to the Federation, and everyone's assembled there to sign the paperwork? Kai Winn is the Bajoran leader who's going to sign on, not Shakaar or whoever got elected to follow him.

The only conclusion I can draw is that, although the First Minister is an elected leader with some important executive powers, the real leader of Bajor is actually the chief religious authority.

Or, in other words, Bajor is space Iran.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
When did she get elected first minister? I don't remember that episode.

It is indeed too much power. And besides everyone knows the space Pope is supposed to be reptilian.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Post your most 90sest scifi characters

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

holy poo poo is this Voyager doing Star Trek IV

Yes and guess whom they got as a guest star:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I remember it was on UPN, that's it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Dark Angel was 2002, though.

Here's some 90s sci-fi for y'all, first one to remember it wins the ultimate prize:

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Typical Pubbie posted:

Is that the one where they're mech pilots and it lasted all of like 9 episodes?

Yeah they had mechs in that show, I thought it was awesome as poo poo when I was like 11 or 12 and was confused as to why something so sweet was canceled after six episodes.

The show by the way was called Hypernauts and, as I have just learned, was basically created by Foundation Imaging to be an advertisement for their CGI effects.

• Locked thread