Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MSN-04 Sazabi posted:

do they even sell kanar bottles that I can fill with booze?

I remember someone tracked them down. It's a spiral glass bottle for selling Chianti wine to tourists in Italy. Sometimes they show up in discount stores as vinegar bottles. I don't think there's an easy way to get one online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Luigi Thirty posted:

I remember someone tracked them down. It's a spiral glass bottle for selling Chianti wine to tourists in Italy. Sometimes they show up in discount stores as vinegar bottles. I don't think there's an easy way to get one online.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Chi...YMAAOSwiwVWRjc2

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

oh well there you go

they used to be rare for some reason

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
I wouldn't drink targ piss from that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Bible posted:

The Royale was (slightly) better than A Piece of the Action because it was just a looping simulation made by aliens who had no idea how to house a human.

A Piece of the Action was just a whole planet that was just copying a mobster book planetwide.

I expected the "It was sci-fi made in the 60's" excuse, but so was The Twilight Zone and that wasn't pure poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk01eeKMD_I

pictured, a sober and reasonable 60s science fiction show far less silly than TOS

I mean I love Twilight Zone, but come on now. Sci-fi tends to be pretty ludicrous stuff if you aren't willing to suspend your disbelief and the most successful stuff is often also the most ludicrous, such as Star Wars which is basically a chanbara movie where the swords are lasers and the comic relief peasantry are robots, or Dune where the messiah is a psychedelic space muslim who rides giant worms into battle, or Star Trek where every skirt is mini, every planet is the same set, and a man's brain can be removed and then reinstalled with a remote control being used to move him around in the interim. DS9 gets a lot of respect because it tries to do the same thing TOS did by applying these kind of ridiculous sci-fi trappings to serious real world problems, but it's not like it doesn't have its share of hilariously terrible episodes about loving nothing, like the one where they all get hit by a shrink ray, or the one where O'Brien is visited by a magic leprechaun, or the one where Dax falls in love with the dude from Space Brigadoon. Piece of the Action isn't even one of the worse episodes of TOS, it's funny, quick-paced, and has some good lines. it doesn't make any sense at all obviously but neither does anything else in the entire history of Star Trek

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
Alright, alright, I'm backing down, I never meant to hurt anyone's feelings.

For the record, I agree most sci-fi is pretty goofy even DS9 has a good number of bad episodes. Early TNG especially is on par with TOS.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 7, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Temper Trudeau posted:

I wouldn't drink targ piss from that.

Why, are there other bottles you would drink targ piss out of?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
You kind of need to be OK with plowing through a certain amount of corny bad scifi if you want to watch any Star Trek series, yeah. Either by actually enjoying it in one way or another (I love the stupid holodeck episodes from TNG, actually) or kind of being willing to ignore /skip it.

Still haven't tried watching TOS

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine not liking A Piece of the Action

I also hate fun

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Luigi Thirty posted:

Janeway found a renegade Q, Quinn, earlier in the show. He was a philosopher who wanted to commit suicide after Q being made temporarily mortal on TNG opened up many questions about immortality. On the run from the Continuum, he asked for asylum on Voyager. We got a lovely JAG episode where Quinn summoned Maury Ginsberg, the guy who found a disconnected cable at Woodstock, to tell the court that Quinn gave him a lift to Woodstock and I guess he banged Quinn's girlfriend? Anyway, Quinn was made mortal and he drank hemlock provided by Q and killed himself.

These actions caused the Time War Q Civil War between traditionalists and individualists, where horrible weapons in the Continuum were causing stars to go supernova. Q and Girl Q appear. Q zaps Janeway into the Continuum, where we see the American Civil War. Q is on the individualist side which is losing. His plan to end the Civil War is to gently caress Janeway. Janeway tells him to go gently caress himself Girl Q. He says that's a great idea and they go marching into the traditionalist camp to meet her. She tells him to go gently caress himself and Q and Janeway are sentenced to death. They are saved by Voyager's crew, who flew into a supernova at the suggestion of Girl Q, dressed up in Civil War uniforms.

Q and Girl Q gently caress (by touching glowing ET fingers) and Junior, later played by Keegan de Lancie, is created. The war ends.

was that the episode where Q straight-up offers to zap Voyager back home and Janeway says something like "we'll find our own way, thanks"?

Orange Sunshine posted:

You forgot to mention the bad lighting. Harsh shadows everywhere, weird colored lights everywhere. There's a pink light on one wall, some green lights shining over here, some blue lights over there. It wouldn't be Star Trek TOS without colored lights against the walls in every drat scene.

you're just saying that because theatricality is "out" and high-detail 'realism' is "in" these days

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

was that the episode where Q straight-up offers to zap Voyager back home and Janeway says something like "we'll find our own way, thanks"?

you're just saying that because theatricality is "out" and high-detail 'realism' is "in" these days

Not even, pretty sure they just slap a teal/orange filter on everything these days

Except for that one heart of the sea movie that looks like it was filmed through a moosepiss filter

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

That was the one with Quinn. Q thanks her and says he'll send Voyager home if she wants. She says no, we'll do it ourselves

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm watching through TOS now. I'm at the end of Season 2. While the show has it's moments, it's definitely too much a product of it's time and it's pretty hard to watch on the whole.

City on the Edge of Forever was also a colossal disappointment. I got more enjoyment out of corny episodes like A Piece of the Action.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

No joke, I hate Cinema Verite. I mean, people are already stupid enough to believe things that they see in TV and Movies, why do we have to play up the "realism"? Why aren't you playing up the absurdity?

Met posted:

I'm watching through TOS now. I'm at the end of Season 2. While the show has it's moments, it's definitely too much a product of it's time and it's pretty hard to watch on the whole.

City on the Edge of Forever was also a colossal disappointment. I got more enjoyment out of corny episodes like A Piece of the Action.

Actually, I agree about City on the Edge of Forever. As an introspective sci-fi concept it's interesting, but interesting doesn't translate to fun at all.

Spare yourself some pain. In Season three, skip to The Enterprise Incident, Is there no truth in Beauty, Day of the Dove, The Tholian Web and All our Yesterdays. Maaaaaybe The Cloud Minders, The Mark of Gideon and That which survives.

Bonus points for Women's Equality if you watch the Turnabout Intruder

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 7, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I've seen every Star Trek episode a couple times over except TOS and TAS. I'm not skipping episodes now.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Enjoy season three episode one, then :mmmhmm:

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Luigi Thirty posted:

That was the one with Quinn. Q thanks her and says he'll send Voyager home if she wants. She says no, we'll do it ourselves

That was only if she would rule against Quinn.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

My Q-Face posted:

Enjoy season three episode one, then :mmmhmm:

That's the one where there's been serious speculation that the script was submitted as a joke, and the showrunners just didn't pick up on it and made it anyway.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

The Bible posted:

Yeah, I just re-watched that ep. with *MY FIANCEE* and I have to say that, yes, Janeway made the right call. Big-picture, anyway.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Bible posted:

He offers it again in the Q Civil War one even after they were on the same side and she says no again because The Human Spirit

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I finally watched chaos on the bridge. It was okay, and it was interesting to see all the behind the scenes stuff from the first two pretty bad seasons. That lawyer dude has probably been dead for years now, and he's still playing Gene's bad cop and taking the heat. It suffered from having William Shatner's ego and now 30 year old grudge attached, and would have been a lot better with someone else. I'm almost certain he was feeding people lines as he "interviewed" them, and it also seemed like makeup let anyone who wasn't on Shatner's side look all gross and sweaty. I expect they probably played up all the conflicting versions of events too.

Listening to Steward talking about bailing on a live segment and telling Good Morning America to go gently caress themselves was the highlight of my day though.

Edit: The stupid comic book art was crap too, but I'm not really happy with the visuals in almost all documentaries so meh.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Luigi Thirty posted:

He offers it again in the Q Civil War one even after they were on the same side and she says no again because The Human Spirit

She asked him to do it when she took care of his son but then he said no.

She really should have just hosed him.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Luigi Thirty posted:

holy poo poo that's even worse than i remembered

how did the writers possibly write that with a straight face

Powered Descent posted:

That's the one where there's been serious speculation that the script was submitted as a joke, and the showrunners just didn't pick up on it and made it anyway.

The thing with TOS is they were always desperate for shootable scripts. The producers thought going to major sci-fi writers would be a slam-dunk, and then found out a lot of these guys who were used to writing anything they wanted would put stuff in their scripts that was either never going to make it past the network censors, or would be insanely expensive and time-consuming to actually shoot. Meanwhile, just about all of the normal veteran TV writers didn't want to waste time figuring out how the Star Trek setting worked when they could just be banging out another procedural or Western. On more than one occasion Gene Roddenberry was literally writing lines for an episode that was already shooting.

So here comes Gene Coon, formerly a showrunner on Star Trek himself, the guy who literally invented the Klingons and wrote some really killer episodes previously. He left the show in part because of creative differences with Gene Roddenberry - specifically, Roddenberry being a tight-rear end and not appreciating the lightheartedness that Coon supported - and offers to write an episode. The people who are left at Star Trek are ecstatic. Here's a proven writer who knows the setting and the characters, and also knows just how much it costs to have Our Heroes beam down to a planet or shoot a phaser pistol or what have you. Barring the script being unshootable or totally unacceptable to NBC, they're going to buy it.

The guys who were left at Star Trek weren't that dumb, and were also almost certainly still on friendly terms with Coon. (Roddenberry having since skipped out because he knew third season was going to be the last, and he figured why waste time honoring his contract when he could be out hustling for new work?) I'm pretty sure they knew just how ridiculous the script was... but they also probably didn't have a lot of choice in the matter.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If Trek was sort of being used to promote the wonders of color TV, when modern 3D first started being a thing in the home television market in the last half-dozen or so years, was there any attempts to do series that would promote 3D the same way?

Or was it mostly just assumed that theatrical movies already made in 3D were enough and TV content producers outside of sports programming just didn't think it was worth the time/effort to make original content for the very small audience who had the format?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why are half of the alien races in TOS human? They couldn't be bothered to throw some fake antennas, forehead ridges, or anything? At least the natives in a Private Little War all had the exact same poofy blonde wig.

It's just lazy really. Imagine the nazis on Patterns of Force having Andorian-like antennae. It would have given a little life to the visuals rather than it being obvious hand-me-down sets/costumes.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Met posted:

Why are half of the alien races in TOS human? They couldn't be bothered to throw some fake antennas, forehead ridges, or anything? At least the natives in a Private Little War all had the exact same poofy blonde wig.

It's just lazy really. Imagine the nazis on Patterns of Force having Andorian-like antennae. It would have given a little life to the visuals rather than it being obvious hand-me-down sets/costumes.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Chase_%28episode%29

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Met posted:

Things cost money.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

If Trek was sort of being used to promote the wonders of color TV, when modern 3D first started being a thing in the home television market in the last half-dozen or so years, was there any attempts to do series that would promote 3D the same way?

Or was it mostly just assumed that theatrical movies already made in 3D were enough and TV content producers outside of sports programming just didn't think it was worth the time/effort to make original content for the very small audience who had the format?

Eh. One big difference is that the transition to colour TV was assured, it was just a matter of time. They were mainly trying to accelerate the adoption rates. And also, to be honest, just having fun with all the shiny bright colour. 3D, on the other hand, has never been certain, and it's known that most people with 3D-capable TVs don't even bother.

Another is that filming 3D is a massive headache. Colour TV was just a bigger, slightly more expensive camera.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 8, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also, people with monochrome sets could still watch the color programming. One channel still served all televisions. Would tuning a regular TV into a 3D channel show regular video, or would it be hosed up? Because if you can't just tune the regular TV to a channel showing 3D content, congrats you have to add more channels which means more money.

Met posted:

A big part of it is time and money. As one example, Klingons were preferred over Romulans as adversaries in part because they didn't have to worry about making helmets and pointed ears. I mean, keep in mind, TOS was literally getting secret deliveries of costumes from illicit (non-union) sweatshops in order to keep costs down. You have to custom-make every fake antenna and forehead ridge, and have people applying that makeup to every guest actor wearing it. And keeping their shooting schedule on time was always a struggle as well. Every time you have to stop shooting because the goddamn fake antenna fell off or came out of position, again, the director's sweating bullets not knowing if he's going to be able to wrap the episode before going into overtime, let alone something so indulgent as a second take to really dial in the performance.

And even with all their heroic efforts to save time, and even with getting pre-empted a couple of times for holidays, their schedules slipped enough that they had to request a rerun in the middle of the first season, which won them no friends at NBC.

It really wasn't laziness. The people who worked on TOS busted their asses making that show.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Literally anything rather than nothing. Hence mentioning those wigs on the natives in A Private Little War. This is a Sci Fi afterall.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, people with monochrome sets could still watch the color programming. One channel still served all televisions. Would tuning a regular TV into a 3D channel show regular video, or would it be hosed up? Because if you can't just tune the regular TV to a channel showing 3D content, congrats you have to add more channels which means more money.

Nah, s'fine, it's an extra data layer in the same channel that 2D decoders just ignore. I'm pretty sure, anyway.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power

counterfeitsaint posted:

Why, are there other bottles you would drink targ piss out of?

Can I count Uhuras snatch?

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Just finished watching some TNG.

"The Survivors" is still pretty awesome. If only for the last scene.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Data's Day Out or whatever has to be the worst episode i've seen

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Data's Day isn't even in the lovely half of TNG episodes

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I loathe data as a narrator

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Temper Trudeau posted:

Can I count Uhuras snatch?

1?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Who Watches the Watchers is a great episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

Who Watches the Watchers is a great episode.

I always loved this episode, it's preachy but without beating you over the head.

• Locked thread