Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bible
May 8, 2010

chaosbreather posted:

Remember, neutrons are bound by the weak nuclear force which shits all over the electromagnetic one.

Neutrons are bound by the Strong Nuclear Force. The Weak Nuclear Force is responsible for radioactive decay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kitchner posted:

I didn't realise you were an expert on force fields in real life.

You raise some very good points about how future space lasers would interact with future space forcefields and the hulls of future spaceships made out of future metal.

He doesn't need to actually have the tech to know that stopping an object in motion requires equal force applied to said object.

A chunk of iron moving a 1/4 of C is going to require a shitload of energy to stop. This is really pretty basic physics.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I never considered shields as omnidirectional, stationary phasers.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Entropic posted:

You just set up a vacuum chamber with something falling in it and transport it to the top every time it's about to hit the bottom. It will just keep accelerating until you've got it going a significant fraction of the speed of light and then instead of teleporting it to the top of the chamber you teleport it to outside, aimed at someone you don't like.

You want to put this setup on the lowest deck of your ship though, in case you lose power.

Objects don't just accelerate infinitely. They'll hit Terminal Velocity before long.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Nathilus posted:

Pleas stop posting about lexx or else I'll post another lexx hate tread. What a stupid loving show.

Everyone said not to watch it in the last thread so of course I did and holographic Tim Curry tries to rape a security guard with his robot dick in Episode 2 and gently caress you Lexx rules.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

shadow puppet of a posted:

Either the dreaded TNG makeup gun has struck again or Bev auditioning for the part of Galactic Super Tramp on a ship full of perverts on Lexx.

That totally was a Lexx episode, by the way. Maybe two.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Rynder posted:

i almost wondered why a race of people living by the mob code would be pretty much human but then i remembered that a race of ancient humanoids jizzed on every planet in the galaxy and that's why everyone evolved to be humanoid

what a terrible episode

I find it more interesting that from a single book, they were somehow able to reproduce the English language in its entirety.

Same for the planet that was dominated by the Chinese that somehow had an exact copy of the Declaration of Independence, down to the handwriting and signatures, yet for some reason couldn't read it. THAT episode was the worst in all Trek.

Also the Rome planet. God, TOS was pure poo poo.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 1, 2015

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kitchner posted:

Don't forget the literally nazi planet

I especially like how Spock stated that the odds of such a planet existing are infinitesimal, yet they pop up constantly and with absolutely no explanation.

And we are to believe TOS is the superior Trek. Voyager wasn't great, but we never had to sit through Janeway hamming up tue Preamble of the Constitution to a bunch of Chinese dudes.

Threshold would have been the crowning episode of the series had it been a TOS script.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 1, 2015

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I know I shouldn't ask...

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Mondian posted:

The early development stuff for Voyager seemed pretty focused on that. The 75 year journey was based on going nonstop at maximum warp, the realistic figure was 200-400 years and that was supposed to be the omnipresent danger. Its a shame they abandoned that feeling, but in regards to deus-ex machinas, finding ancient alien super technologies is standard in Trek so I'm not sure how you're disappointed in that.

I don't get what the big deal was; Kirk went to the very edge of the Milky Way as a standard mission. Why didn't they just use the tech he had 100 years ago to just warp back in an afternoon?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i enjoyed that bit b/c its well established in star trek that nebulae damage a starship's hull/have some other deleterious effects that always without fail prevents people from hiding in them for very long. centuries away from the nearest starfleet drydock and she's endangering the ship for some fuckin coffee

There wasn't literally coffee inside the nebula. They needed energy to power their systems. One of those systems was the replicator.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Move Along Home is fun but its structure is the worst soft of high camp, writers room stench, low buy-in acting. audience gets it long before the cast does plot, and capped off with the 'now lets never speak of that again' finish that epitomizes bad serialized trek.

Had it been written for TOS, it would be among the best 5 episodes and highly praised.

That's how bad TOS is. Unwatchable garbage.

(I watched all of it. Twice. Probably will watch it again in the future.)

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 8, 2015

The Bible
May 8, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

To be fair, TOS could probably be rated more a garbage scow.

I meant to say, it should be hauled away AS aaaaauuuiiiggggggghhhh

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kitchner posted:

He is right though. If Move Along Home had been shot in the 60s it would have been seen as a groundbreaking piece of TV and one of the best parts of the series.

Instead now we consider it garbage.

Eh, I was actually comparing one of the worst episodes of 90's Trek to the entirety of 60's Trek and noting that it is still considerably better by far.

The same goes for that Lizard sex episode of Voyager. Total garbage even by Voyager standards, but still immeasurably superior to even the best TOS episode.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Those lives already existed though.

What if Tuvix was never a thing. What if the transporter accident just made both characters poof out of existence. After a few days of research, you figure out what went wrong, and could beep boop technobabble them back. Do you have zero moral obligation to bring them back? I mean, it's not like they exist at the time you're making the decision, so who cares right?

In that case, the decision is simply pragmatic. You can get them back at no moral cost at all, and you want them back.

It is a totally different situation that you are positing. It doesn't have the same stakes (ie. Trading one life for two.)

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Ambrose Burnside posted:

q thought sisko was a fuckin chump. theres a reason he never came back to ds9

The Bajorans.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

Is it true that while not all Star Trek fans are peadofiles, all peadofiles are Star Trek fans? I heard it was an LAPD in joke or something.

Not all Star Trek TVIV mods are pedophiles, but...

wait

The Bible
May 8, 2010

If you step into a transporter do you die?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

It's all bad and we all love it.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Tujague posted:

Jesus christ, every three pages with you morons farting out profound philosophical biotruths you realized after being made euphoric by your own intellect

Welcome to the Star Trek thread.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Do the one of the Next Gen cast rocking around in their chairs

The Bible
May 8, 2010

you are always hunching over to hide a captian's mast?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Locutus did nothing wrong.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This is HBO right because the Klingon show should be basically Rome meets Game of Thrones meets Ip Man.

Are Klingon boobs ridged?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

superjew posted:

Does it make more sense if you pretend Enterprise is the sequel to TOS?

I think it does.

That was a good one.

"Captain, these people are living happy and carefree lives and have no desire to change."

"gently caress that, they need to learn to suffer and work hard, blow the computer up."

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kitchner posted:

People go out and do things because they want to invent, create, explore. Not just say "Computer, load holodeck programme anime 1" five times a day.

As if I would have even shut it off once in a day.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I'm watching TNG and just got to the very first Holodeck Malfunction episode, and Wesley is saying they can't just cut the power because if they do everyone on the holodeck will just disappear.

So I guess early holodeck technology converted organic life into holograms while the holodeck was running?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Tujague posted:

It's sort of funny and sad how stirred up you guys get when I say that desperately straining and grunting to seem smart by earnestposting wildly unexamined, kid-who-read-cliff's-notes philosophy bullshit in the context of a TV spaceship show is real stupid

It's like poking a nest of obese hornets. Like, you all leap with uncharacteristic vigor and wheezing noises to make it stop and try to hurt my feelings via projection. Reminds me of that lowtax thread about changing the shitposting rules.

This is how everyone describes you as well.

Just FYI.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

We're all going to watch it but lol if you actually pay for it

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Naxuz posted:

Space sword fights and space lesbians, I can dig it

Yes, this would actually be a significant improvement.

What is Jeri Ryan up to these days?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Entropic posted:

I like section 31 because Roddenberry would have hated it.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Giblet Plus! posted:

So i'm part way into Enterprise season one. It's actually kinda good.

I like the intro song. :colbert:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

TOS is pure garbage. The worst Voyager episode would have been TOS gold.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Pneub posted:

Wow you're so edgy.

Mobster planet. A planet full of mobsters because an astronaut left a book behind.

Kirk reciting the Declaration of Independence, an exact copy down to the signatures, that just happened to be reproduced on an alien world full of Chinese people.

That time some race of women reprogrammed the Enterprise computer so it called Kirk "dear" and sulked a lot.

If any of that showed up outside of TOS, it would be regarded as the worst episode of Trek ever created.

Lizard Kirk loving Lizard Uhura would have been among the most highly regarded TOS episodes. I'm sorry, but TOS was loving awful.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

khwarezm posted:

The thing is, most of TNG really was crap.

Yeah.

I have still watched all of it and TOS twice through, and likely will again in the future.

It sucks, but so does basically any Trek not called DS9. I just love lovely TV, I guess.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Tighclops posted:

The Royale was awesome. I love how "we're stuck in a lovely pulp novel" is an episode

The Royale was (slightly) better than A Piece of the Action because it was just a looping simulation made by aliens who had no idea how to house a human.

A Piece of the Action was just a whole planet that was just copying a mobster book planetwide.

I expected the "It was sci-fi made in the 60's" excuse, but so was The Twilight Zone and that wasn't pure poo poo.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I mean, of course looking at TOS through the eyes of 2015 it is pretty bad stuff, but compared to others 1960s television, I mean what the gently caress. The play Uhura with a straight face which is really kind of unheard of at the time.

The only other show that I think remains watchable is the Twilight Zone and probably the Outer Limits, from that era.

Unless of course you love variety shows and Lucille Ball or whatever.

Maybe its not so much that TOS was good as the 1960s were pretty terrible but IDK.

Beaten. Anyway, I still watch it and I'm not passionate enough to take on GBS about Star Trek.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 7, 2015

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Alright, alright, I'm backing down, I never meant to hurt anyone's feelings.

For the record, I agree most sci-fi is pretty goofy even DS9 has a good number of bad episodes. Early TNG especially is on par with TOS.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 7, 2015

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

That was the one with Quinn. Q thanks her and says he'll send Voyager home if she wants. She says no, we'll do it ourselves

That was only if she would rule against Quinn.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

He offers it again in the Q Civil War one even after they were on the same side and she says no again because The Human Spirit

She asked him to do it when she took care of his son but then he said no.

She really should have just hosed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Met posted:

Why are half of the alien races in TOS human? They couldn't be bothered to throw some fake antennas, forehead ridges, or anything? At least the natives in a Private Little War all had the exact same poofy blonde wig.

It's just lazy really. Imagine the nazis on Patterns of Force having Andorian-like antennae. It would have given a little life to the visuals rather than it being obvious hand-me-down sets/costumes.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Chase_%28episode%29

• Locked thread