Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What the federation would actually be like:

Robots everywhere. Robots cleaning everything, maintaining everything, operating everything, doing almost all of the work. Robots maintaining other robots.

90% of the human population living permanently in holodecks or laying around all day in a permanent Risa-like vacation, most of them illiterate and stoned on whatever drugs are legal or available.

Those with any drive or ambition or desire to do anything are running society, in the military, or being scientists or artists or chefs. Whatever perks society has are offered to those willing to actually do anything. Also to those couples who actually manage to give birth, since the availablility of holodeck sex means most men lose all interest in having a long term relationship with a real woman.

On a federation starship, the crew is relatively small, as most of the work is done by robots. No person stands in the brig and guards a prisoner, or does menial "recalibrate the such and such" engineering work.

You could never actually do a star trek show like this, because it would be impractical and uninteresting to watch a show with robots everywhere doing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Laughing Man posted:

The LA Times recently ran a story about the Child Exploitation Section of the Toronto Sex Crimes Unit, which contained a mind-boggling statistic: of the more than 100 offenders the unit has arrested over the last four years, "all but one" has been "a hard-core Trekkie."

https://boingboing.net/2005/04/28/la-times-pedophilia.html

"I have now spoken to Detective Ian Lamond of the Child Exploitation Section of the Toronto Sex Crimes Unit and he claims they were misquoted, or if that figure was given it was done so jokingly. Nevertheless, he does claim that a majority of those arrested show "at least a passing interest in Star Trek, if not a strong interest."

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lexx was a terrible, low budget piece of crap. I watched the entire series, though, because it was on tv from 1am-2am, at a time when I went to work at 2am. And back when I didn't have many tv channels and had nothing else to do.

The Lexx was a huge ship, the most powerful ship in the galaxy, with 2 people on it, plus a robot head, and a dead guy. The dead guy was had no personality and cared about nothing because he was dead, but he was reanimated, so he would do stuff if they told him to. The captain was an old guy who only cared about sex, but he was an old loser that no one wanted to have sex with. The other person was a female love slave who wouldn't have sex with the captain because he was an old loser. Also, there was an evil robot head who was in love with the love slave, but they couldn't have sex because he was a robot head.

So, one dead character, 3 characters who basically only care about sex but can't or won't have it with each other. They travel around the galaxy as the captain looks for sex but never gets it. Is a low budget show with only 4 characters, each with the depth of a potato, a good show? No it isn't.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

nnnotime posted:

Voyager started off OK but the stories kept getting weaker for me, to a point where I stopped watching it altogether in the middle of Season 3. Then for whatever reason I started watching Voyager again and it started to get good after that two-part? episode where the Hirogen turned the ship into a giant Hunting simulator.

Then an over-blatant sign that Voyager's writing was changing was when, sometime around that Hirogen episode (or maybe after) Harry Kim flat out stated to Tom Paris he was no longer going to be a pussy, when Paris notice during a typical bridge duty session that Harry didn't sound like a ball-less wuss anymore. Perhaps someone else (more spergy than me) who saw that episode remembers the exact dialog.

After that I was following the show again. Not sure what happened but the writers and/or actors appeared to fix a few things after the third season, regardless of the big addition of the Booty-Borg crew member.

EDIT: Maybe Ron Moore (of Battlestar Galactica fame) had something do with the show's writing change after the first few seasons? I forgot he was involved with the Voyager series.

From what I recall, Voyager started off weak, and then had a long weak period, and then ended weak. The writers were barely trying, or weren't any good. I tend to think they were barely trying, since the doctor and seven of nine scenes were still entertaining, so I think they perked up and actually put some effort into it when they got to write something for one of those 2 characters.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

FrensaGeran posted:

I just watched this episode and got so angry at what she said, allow me to quote her directly:

"You've tempted me with that prospect before, but frankly your credibility is more than a little suspect..."

Hang on let me pause there to quote her from the previous Q episode,

(When Q asks her how she knows he'll keep his word regarding Quinn and his permanent incarceration)

"Based on my research you have been many things: a rude, interfering, inconsiderate, sadistic pest. And oh yes, you introduced us to the Borg. Thank you very much. But one thing you've never been is a liar."

FLASHFORWARD ONE SEASON

"You've tempted me with that prospect before, but frankly your credibility is more than a little suspect. My crew and I will get home, we're committed to that. But we're going to do it through hard work and determination. We are not looking for a quick fix."

Whereas, Picard vs Q:

"Q... end this."
"Moi? What makes you think I'm either inclined or capable to terminate this encounter?"
"If we all die here, now, you will not be able to gloat. You wanted to frighten us. We're frightened. You wanted to show us we were inadequate. For the moment, I grant that. You wanted me to say 'I need you'? I need you!"

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tujague posted:

Well, if literally having a race of timeless remote godlike uninterested mystery beings who live in a space tube and had already sworn up and down that they thought 3D life was dumb poo poo they didn't care about suddenly vanishing a gigantic war-ending enemy fleet for zero particular compelling reason isn't a deus ex machina, then I guess you win this argument, champ

The bottom line on the wormhole aliens was that they probably didn't give a poo poo about the bajorans or 3d life.

But they had a problem, which was that the rear end in a top hat pagh wraiths kept breaking out of their fire cave prison and trying to take over the wormhole and kill everyone in it. So they had to manipulate the situation to make sure this couldn't happen, which they could do quite readily since they existed outside of time and could see the future. They created the bajoran religion and the emissary and sent out the orbs and so on to make sure that in the end, the pagh wraiths would always fail.

So they could be left alone in there to do whatever they did for their timeless eternity.

Vanishing the dominion fleet as Sisko wanted turned out to be necessary to their overall plans, so they did it.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

Wait Hydrox cookies are a real thing? I thought they were something Colbert made up for a gag on his show a few nights ago. What the gently caress kind of name for a food product is Hydrox? That's only slightly less appealing that lactic acid juice.

From Wikipedia:

"Hydrox derived its name from the atoms comprising water. In 1908, the creators of the cookie were looking for a name that would convey "purity and goodness." Since water is known for those qualities, they developed the name from the elements making up a water molecule. Market research later determined that the name was not well received and was more evocative of cleaning solutions than cookies".

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Wasn't Chekov's son crazy and hung himself from a tree in a park or something?

Well, after they showed the noose earlier on, it was inevitable that someone would be hung with it.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tujague posted:

I dunno, getting booted off a show, losing your one shot at becoming a millionaire and being replaced by a blowjob fantasy in a tits suit who then proceeds to become one of two good characters could reasonably drive someone to drug use

Poor woman's life would have been better if she had remained Neelix's love interest. That's rough.

I thought she left the show on her own. Did she get fired?

How could anyone get fired from Voyager? The actors trying to get fired were kept on, the writers didn't give a poo poo about the show. Did she start ranting about hating jews or something?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The vorta and the jem hadar are designed the way they are so that they'll never overthrow the founders. The jem hadar and vorta don't like each other, so they could never work together if they didn't have to. The jem hadar can't survive without their ketracel white, the vorta aren't fighters and couldn't do much of anything without the jem hadar, and all of them are genetically programmed to worship the founders.

Also, it was stated in one episode that the Vorta started as some sort of little squirrel or monkey creature, which the founders took and turned into the vorta. They and the jem hadar were created, basically from scratch, to be exactly what the founders wanted them to be.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tujague posted:

Every time the Jem Hadar had a speaking role in a late DS9 ep, they did poo poo that wouldn't fly in the U.S. Coast Guard and we don't even genetically manipulate those guys OR get them hooked on crack cocaine.

Probably because coast guard men are not barely controlled masses of homicidal rage ready to die at any moment. If the coast guard were ordered, "I want you all to run up this hill with knives and stab everyone at the top, and you're all going to die because there are too many of them and they have guns, but it will show the glory of the United States, die bravely!", they wouldn't do it. Or "Crash your boat into the enemy battleship, it won't sink it, but it will put a serious dent in the hull and make them think twice next time, as you sink to the bottom you will be happy to know the President is proud of you".

A sloppy system with parts that sometimes work against one another can still be more functional than a smoothly efficient "perfect" system. This is why democratic republics have outcompeted monarchies and dictatorships across the planet in the real world. A perfectly wise king may be better than a congress/president combination, but the sloppy democratic system works, and the wise king ususally turns out to be not so wise.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

I almost feel bad for her actress because she nailed being a holier-than-thou extreme right wing rear end in a top hat so well I think people legitimately hated her (not just in the way they were supposed to hate her).

I doubt she had any concerns about this. Before Kai winn, she played Nurse Ratched in one flew over the cuckoo's nest.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

And in true Star Trek fashion, they had to recast Ziyal with an older actor because it originally came off as a guy in his 40s perving on a teenager.

As if Garak had any interest in Ziyal.

He was as queer as a three dollar bill.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The writers/producers of both Voyager and Enterprise didn't really want to be doing their shows at all. They had no interest in the premise of the show, and really wanted to be doing The Next Generation. So they just ignored the premise of the show and pretended they were doing TNG.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Star Trek: The Founders

The founders exist in a beautiful state of oneness, where everyone experiences complete joyful intimacy with everyone else always and forever. They are threatened by tragic violent apelike primitives who know only decay, death, and destruction, who the founders must control for the good of everyone, even the primitives. Through their wisdom, they turn chaos into order, and though they may lose the occasional battle, they will always win in the end, for the Great Link is eternal.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

chaosbreather posted:

Star Trek: Wavefront
The USS Wavefront, NX-42583, is a new trial by Utopia Planetia Shipyards and the Starfleet Corps of Engineers to staff a ship with its original builders and designers, a totally unique ship that will continue to be modified and improved during its 5 year mission to seek out new life forms, buy or barter some technology off them, and pimp their ride a little more to advance the shipbuilding state-of-the-art. The crew of the Wavefront is therefore about half explorers, people who would ordinarily would be exploring strange new worlds but for the last couple of years have been knee-deep in the design and construction of this bold new experiment, and half builders, who have never really been exposed to the danger and excitement of deep space, who have no idea what they're getting their head into.

Half the story would be told in flashback, so while we see the builders experiencing exploration for the very first time, so we get to empathise with them and feel wonder at something that should be special, it's anchored by the career officers trying to adjust to the rough and almost equally stressful conditions of drydock life, dealing for the first time with creative egos clashing to found the friendships and root the technical solutions used in the A plot.

Luna-born ex-spy human captain, Andorian first officer, vulcan science chief, female Ferengi conn officer.

Your show would be titled, Star Trek: Asperger's.

Engineers are boring socially awkward nerds. Nobody wants to watch a show about them. Nobody wants to watch them redesigning the ship all the time. Nobody wants to hear their stories about how they rewired something and made it work better.

You'd have episodes like: the first woman comes on board, and everyone loses their poo poo. Half the crew begins badly flirting with her, the other half treats her like crap because no girls allowed. She finally goes to see Captain Reginald Barclay about the problem. He awkardly flirts with her, she gets angry and leaves the ship for good. The crew realizes they are better off with holodeck women.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SaberToothedPie posted:

They should make a star trek where the captain is a klingon-romulan hybrid, I think that'd be cool.

Klingon-Ferengi hybrid.

By the blood of Kahless, we're going to negotiate them down from 12 to 11.5%!

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Nondescript Van posted:

So is the federation/Earth actually cashless or do they get paid but they don't care and just see it as booze money?

The creators of Star Trek came up with the idea of a cashless society, and then nobody ever bothered to figure out what this would actually be like. Because nobody(meaning, none of the writers) was actually interested in the idea of a society without money. But they had to pay lip service to the idea because it was now canon. So every so often someone says something about there being no money, and they make the effort to not show people getting paychecks or paying for anything.

Actually having no money would radically change society in every possible way, assuming it was a post-scarcity society. Anyone could do anything they wanted, and nobody would have to do anything they didn't want, and there would be replicators to make everything for you and holodecks to simulate anything for you. The majority of people would live their entire lives as a vacation, mostly laying around consuming whatever entertainment and drugs were available. It's an open question to what extent anyone would be willing to work any jobs at all. Artists would be free to create art, which in 99.99% of cases nobody else would want.

Of course, some things would always be scarce, and it would be interesting to see how people went about competing to get those things.

None of this is actually depicted in star trek, which is a show about a future military organization full of people working boring loving jobs for no apparent reason, except maybe in 30 years they eventually get the be a starship captain and then they can do some cool stuff. But in the meantime, I think I'll go spend 12 hours recalibrating some equipment while other people get to play captain and science officer. At least it's better than Thompson over there who spends 10 hours a day standing in the brig guarding it for no good loving reason because the ship's computer and sensors could do it for him.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kitchner posted:

We've already been over why your post is dumb like three times.

You're thinking about this with a modern day attitude. For example, CEOs are seen as more successful as teachers because they earn more money.

However, imagine for a moment that you could start your own business tomorrow but it isn't really a business it's just a hobby, and the only reason the business would exist would be almost like a charity, it entirely exists just to provide things to people free of charge. Furthermore, it's not even difficult to do as you don't have to worry about turning a profit or anything like that.

However the teacher still does the same job they've always done, that is preparing the next generation of children to make sure they have the right values and skills they need to get ahead in life. This is still hard work because you still need to deal with human children.

Would the CEO still be seen as the more successful job? Possibly not.

We view the idea of a Star Trek future through a 21st century lense. You think everyone would become lazy and slothful if they were given everything, and maybe that did happen for a time. Have you ever taken a serious amount of time off work and just spent it jerking off ot whatever the entire time? It's great for a while but then it gets boring. I mean gently caress I even quit my last job because there wasn't enough work to keep me occupied (and the manager was a oval office).

The reason Sisko's dad runs a cafe is because he loves cooking food. The reason people fish for real fish is they love fishing.

Have you literally never spoke to someone who kinda wishes they could be writer or artist or carpenter for a job as it's creative but are stuck in their middle management office job? Imagine taking everyone who works in for profit companies apart from designers and engineers and say "OK you don't need to do this anymore, what do you do?".

The whole point is human society is way more developed than ours during Star Trek. You can be a lay about jerking off in holosuites and doing nothing all day, but everyone will think you're wasting your life. People go out and do things because they want to invent, create, explore. Not just say "Computer, load holodeck programme anime 1" five times a day.

The 50% of the population with sub-100 IQs are not going to be inventing anything, creating or exploring. Well, ok, they'll do the 24th century equivalent of horrible fan fiction, poetry and scrapbooking. Accomplishing things is hard, but cheering a sports team and then feeling a great victory when they win is easy.

Most of the rest will get their inventing/creating/exploring needs met through games, as people do today. Saving or conquering the world in a video game is easy. The creative types will sit around painting pictures and writing stories that even their friends have no interest in, as they do today.

I think your optimistic vision of a post-scarcity future only works if you have a high IQ population and somehow no drugs, and even then half the people don't do poo poo.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

chaosbreather posted:

The average intelligence of humanity drastically increases just by having regular meals for everyone. It's really sad but it's a fact.

Then add the ability to cure every single disease, be it viral, environmental, genetic or psychological. Add their perfected model of neurocognition allowing provably optimal teaching and parenting.

Then give everyone the ability to anything they want. You don't have to have your childhood dreams of walking on the moon crushed, you can take a field trip there. You can instantly talk to anyone in the federation, any expert you want of a population of geniuses that makes our seven billion mostly starving in the street a rounding error.

Everyone's pretty smart, yo

These people aren't missing any meals, but they've missed the IQ train. And they're not going away in your 24th century future, they're still there, eating and breeding and buying lottery tickets.

As to curing psychological conditions, I see no evidence of that in Star Trek. Nobody managed to cure Barclay, and numerous seasons of watching Counselor Troi nag people to talk about their feelings doesn't lead me to believe they know anything more than we do about human psychology.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

shadow puppet of a posted:

In fairness though I am fat and greasy, have three flavours of Doritos within arms length and am infact a puppet. But I don't think his rant was actually direct at me. Pity.

Don't leave us hanging. Which flavors?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

Uh, you're forgetting T'Pol's tits, aka, best part of Enterprise there buddy

Why does a Vulcan have breast implants?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

bobthedinosaur posted:

So what's the deal with Keiko and O'Brien? Did he come back from that 20 years in mind prison too different from the man she fell in love with or did like the actress want more money than the show would pay; so the writers had to scramble?

Just how much suffering did you want to inflict on the poor guy?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

As if genetic disorders like autism or trans won't be screened out in the just 24th century LOL

You neurotypical bastard.

As long as there are people, we'll be there, following train schedules, watching my little pony, ranting about things no one is interested in. How can your genetic screening filter us out when we already don't breed?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Powered Descent posted:

Here you go thread, have all the star treks at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0S8rmcRVOA

He is not exaggerating.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

happyhippy posted:

Ok, get this.

A star ship, stuck in a time bubble that resets with them and a nearby planet getting blown up.
They have a hologram character that starts to get messages from past versions, ala when Data did.
So the whole series is them repeating the same 24 hours with increasingly more information than the last.

Where the gently caress is my Emmy?

There have been a number of episodes of tv series which had time loops or resetting days, as did the movie Groundhog day and other movies. The xfiles did it, stargate, buffy the vampire slayer, and others. None of these lasted more than a 2 hour movie, though. How are you going to make a whole series out of this without it getting boring?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I suggest we use the tractor beam to alter the thread's trajectory.

Or we could reconfigure the deflector array to emit an inverse tetrion pulse. If we can just tech the tech, it will work.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tezzor posted:

TOS really isn't very good. Bad acting, weird 60s gender politics, bad makeup, bad sets, silly plots, deus ex machinas. Its value is based on nostalgia and precedent, but the show is nearly unwatchable now

You forgot to mention the bad lighting. Harsh shadows everywhere, weird colored lights everywhere. There's a pink light on one wall, some green lights shining over here, some blue lights over there. It wouldn't be Star Trek TOS without colored lights against the walls in every drat scene.

Orange Sunshine fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 6, 2015

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ambrose Burnside posted:

lol i always forget how bashir's crew of dysfunctional genetically modified dudes, institutionalized for their own good, consist of: catatonic lady, emotionally-stunted babyman, dude with 6 adhd diagnoses in parallel, and: W O M A N O F L O O S E M O R A L S

Yeah. The federation said, "Good heavens, this woman is kind of slutty. Put her in a mental institution! We can't have her out fornicating with the general population!" And she wasn't even all that slutty, she just flirted with guys a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

There's a handful he isn't in, but he's around a hell of a lot more than Jake.

Typical Jake episode:

Sisko: "Jake, stop hanging around that scumbag Nog".

Jake: "But Dad, we're multiculturalists, that means we have to accept the Ferengi no matter how sleazy and horrible they are".

Sisko: 'gently caress, you're right"

Nog: "Come on Jake, let's go roofie some Dabo girls"

Sisko: "god damnit".

• Locked thread