Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

Wrong parallel universe brah

In his defence there are a lot of parallel universes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Clark Nova posted:

Ha, iirc they got rid of her because they couldn't figure out anything interesting to do with her. Any plot about sneaky duplicitous backstabbing would be ten times better as a Garak story anyway.

Garak vs Romulan is a great story in of itself.

You could do an entire episode where both of them are sort of setting traps and investigating the other as they are paranoid they are selling the Federation and DS9 out to the other government and in the end Sisko has to intervene and berates them both by saying their paranoia and lack of ability to trust means they are ruining the only chance to defeat the Dominion. He explains that the reason that humans are so good at diplomacy is they long ago learnt that trust is a precious gift often only given in return for being trusted, humans are so successful at making friends because they take risks, they go out on a limb and they trust people first, sure it means they get burnt occasionally, but in the end isn't it worth it?

Garak and the Romulan then grudgingly see his point and while they don't trust each other they realise they are, for now, on the same side.

Oh also O'Brien is deeply embarrassed or made a fool of in one of the traps.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Delsaber posted:

I'm now imagining a series of recurring and escalating Spy vs. Spy skits going on in the background regardless of the actual plots.

This is kind of what happens with Bashir and Garak. Garak is constantly trying to train him to be a super spy like he is. So imagine all their conversations where Garak says a ton of cool poo poo about not trust people, but instead it's all played out by a Romulan and Garak basically testing each other and always ending up in a draw.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Disco Infiva posted:

I just watched an episode where Dr. Crusher ignored direct orders to not perform an autopsy on an Ferengi scientist. When she told Picard about it, the first thing he asked is if she found anything. Only after she said no he became disappointed in her due to disregarding his direct orders, massive breach of ethics and making an international incident, so he relieved her of duty pending official investigation. She then proceeded to illegally perform two more autopsies (one on the Ferengi again), access computer data that should be unavailable to her, and steal a shuttle to find the one who did it. Luckily she found the killer and saboteur, so everything is forgiven.

I'm saying this because I'm pretty sure that if fake Tom Paris managed to pull that highly dangerous and illegal maneuver without incident, the whole team would receive a medal, be promoted to admirals and made heroes to every cadet in the fleet. Only failure is punished in the world of trek.

Well it's to do with the fact the at they encourage people to challenge orders if they feel they should.

If you think some dude was murdered and I say he wasn't because I was the one who secretly murdered him you should ignore me and do what's right.

Part of that is understanding if you're wrong you accept the consequences, so only do it if you're really really sure.

It actually makes sense.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

TEAYCHES posted:

pardon edward snowden

Exactly. If star trek has taught us anything it's that Edward Snowden should be given a promotion and be put in charge of the NSA.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

muscles like this? posted:

Except if you're ordering Geordi to his death.

The best bit about that scene is he doesn't even protest. He's just like "Sure, I mean, if I have to" like he's been told to clear up some vomit on isle 4 instead of being vaporised in a warp core.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

She shoulda failed just for that. I mean, the chief engineer? What do you think redshirts are for?

Also starfleet officers seem really keen to sacrifice themselves to save the crew so she failed the sacrifice yourself heroically test

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Clark Nova posted:

Somewhere between the movies and TNG, Starfleet replaced the Kobayashi Maru scenario with the "Kill Your Friends" scenario.

Kirk would win be re programming the test so that when he orders Scotty to crawl into the warp coil it reacts with all his whiskey in his blood and turns him into a Scottish version of the hulk.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Entropic posted:

You'd think that if it were that easy to ruin a planet the entire Alpha Quadrant would have been uninhabitable a hundred years ago.

For a start there's no way the Cardassians wouldn't have done that to the Bajorans when they overthrew the Cardassians. They'd call it the final solution.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

doctorfrog posted:

Watched the Farpoint ep on Netflix for the first time since about 2008. I pretty much like everything about it, sorry if you can't enjoy seasons 1 and 2.

We'll see about the vaccine. We'll see.

Riker on the femme v-neck hairspray planet, well, that's going to be great no matter what.

You like everything about it? Even Riker without a beard? You sick freak.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Entropic posted:

Of all the TNG alumni, Wil Wheaton is probably the only one who would actually be capable right now of making an independent fan series that didn't suck completely, but thankfully he's also probably the least likely to want to.

Problem is Wesley Crusher went off to evolve to a higher plane of existence. What a poo poo story.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

TEAYCHES posted:

actually that was a soul eater and the whole thing was an elaborate ruse to devour his life essence

That would have been a way better ending.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Mirror Universe Wesley Crusher.

This is just Wil Wheaton in Big Bang Theory

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

counterfeitsaint posted:

The Klingons pulled their knives on him because he was mist, which they found offensive, and attempted to stab him. Then the klingons, who regularly fight each other to the death over untied shoelaces as a matter of honor, tried to rules lawyer an extradition because he was "surrounding them in a menacing way."

Don't worry they have an ancient ritual for that.

They have am ancient ritual for everything.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Figaro posted:

Even waste extraction

"Kahless I serve up this warrior turd for you, in the name of Mogh, house of my ancestors. May its strength sustain you and its stench inspire. Glory to you and your bowels

"Honey, the O'Briens want to know of we are still free for lunch on Saturday? "

"drat IT WOMEN! DO NOT TALK TO ME WHILE I'M POOPING!"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
You know not to follow a Klingon into a toilet when he walks in with a Bat'leth under his arm.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Guys get this. We take star trek. We take game of thrones. We take house of cards.

Then we mash them all up into a frankenstiens monster of a TV show and rake in the money.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Get Kevin Spacey in a Star Trek uniform and pronto that's what I'm saying

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Tuvix was a freak of nature and not how God intended life to live. This is also why gays are banned on voyager (you never see any do you?) and so are abortions.

Janeway was actually really religious, in one of the cut scenes she mentions how one of her heroes was arrested in the 21st century for standing up to a law forcing her to let gay people marry.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Also that one bad guy alien race got the Phage because they were sinful and let gays marry.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

please don't troll

He is right though. If Move Along Home had been shot in the 60s it would have been seen as a groundbreaking piece of TV and one of the best parts of the series.

Instead now we consider it garbage.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Disco Infiva posted:

Well yeah, but that's because a black dude is the lead actor, all women in it are wearing pants and the midget is seen outside of circus.

Even without those things it still applies.

Slap Kirk, McCoy, and Scotty in am a parent life or death game being played by Mr Spock. The game progresses as Spock makes the ultimate logical super intelligent moves.

His last move is to seemingly risk killing the whole party by going the really risky route because he calculates that it actually poses the leas risk. You think the main crew all dies because of Spock's God drat logic and then poof it was just a game.

There's some sort of moral lesson everyone reflects on in the end and some banter between Spock and McCoy and end of episode.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I know I'm referring to my own post here but:

drat it Spock, I'm a Doctor, not a chess pawn!

You are correct doctor. For you were not, in fact, in a chess game.

Kirk laughs and McCoy looks mad, Spock raises and eye brow, cut to credits.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

shadow puppet of a posted:

Also, they could re-make Tuvix at any time, theoretically, if they figured out how to do it. Not that you'd want to because you'd be busy creating more house blends. Like Chakimtay. And Belaris. Or Kes and a rotting piece of fruit.

Maybe they should have agreed to have Tuvix on weekends only.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Star Trek: Deep Space Philosophy in the 21st Century

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Like Spock is one to talk he already came back to life once.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I would have banged Flox's wife if I was Tucker though

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite thing about Quark is that during the occupation of Bajor, he sold food to the laborers for zero profit. Out of context that doesn't sound like a big deal, but he's basically going against everything he believes in to help people out.

Yeah DS9 did a good job of subtle character points like that. To humans it seems cruel but to a ferengi that's basically unheard of levels of generosity.

Yet he gets judged by humans using human standards all the time, which is one of his criticism of the Federation, they expect everyone to act like them and looks down on those who don't.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Fister Roboto posted:

I think they missed an opportunity to have the Ferengi drop their stance of neutrality in the war and try to destroy the Dominion economically. That would have been neat.

Since the dominion is mainly in a different Quadrant I think it would be better if it implies that the Cardassian government had senior officials with money stashed off world from bribes and stuff and it all gets frozen by the Ferengi banks that hold it.

Suddenly the items Cardassians bought on the black market were no longer available (apart from at extortionate prices, I mean they are still Ferengi).

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I actually hated it when they had Sisko punch Q and Q was like "Picard never hit me!" and Sisko replies "I'm not Picard!".

Lol if any mortal can land a punch on Q without him letting them do it.

Would have been far better if Sisko swung but totally failed to connect thanks to Q magic and then Q is just like "Interesting, you tried to punch me. I doubt Picard would have ever lost his temper like that".

Instead it jus takes the whole scene overall comical, not least because Q wad punching Sisko rather than just daring Sisko to punch him.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Q dials himself down a few notches before touching down on Federation property. He ramps it back up in an instant all the time to effect his magic, but for the talky bits he likes feeling a tiny smidgen like the greasy ape standing across from him whenever he taunts a vessel's captain.

The punch was legit.

I'm pretty sure that even though this is true a punch wouldn't knock him over, if it did then he could get shot with a phaser.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

What can I say but when you make frequent visits to sights such as the Rings of Tautee sometimes need to manufacture your own mundaner stimulation.

Bullshit he should have turned Sisko into a thin brown paste before the punch ever connected.

Unless he's like the ninja from MGS who is all like "HURT ME SNAKE! HURT ME!"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

It's not like he'd actually feel the pain, why would he care to avoid it?

What would you do if some snot nosed brat kept "punching" your leg and shouting even though it wasn't hurting you?

loving kick the little poo poo that's what.

It was a really stupid scene that could have been written tons better while getting the same point across and you won't convince me Sisko punching Q is a good thing :colbert:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
The punch didn't need to connect though, and Q didn't need to punch Sisko. All Sisko had to do is visibly look pissed off and swing at Q and then Q could be all like "Ash you're not like Picard".

Instead it trivialises the moment and Q himself who is practically a god.

To assert his dominance Q should have come back at night with Sisko's dead wife, revived her and then cucked Sisko for making him look a fool before sending his wife back to the right time line (dead).

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

You keep falling back on Q as having a power-motive. There is none. he's just bored. He loved getting punched. He loved having cause to react to it. He made a nose for Sisqo to punch as he knew he would when he had his space-breakfast that morning. That's what gives him a Q-boner. Being mildly amused at trivial poo poo and getting to be mawkish for a few hours at people in jumpsuits.

Think of Q as a guy under house arrest. At some point he'll invite a friend over knowingly just to start an argument because nobody talks to him much any more and he misses the drama of shouting at someone.

His entire character is him gloating about how much more civilised and advanced he is than humans.

When he first appears in TNG if Picard had tried to punch him you get the real feeling not only would it have failed but it would have proved Q exactly right about human kind. He would have sneered at the barbarian resorting to physical violence.

Instead he mocks Sisko about this, but then proceeds to comically punch Sisko in the face, before getting knocked over.

I've never seen Q as someone who would do something that physical. Yes he would goad a human into hitting him sure, but only to prove himself right, he doesn't need to actually be hit in order to realise he succeeded in making someone lose their temper.

I think actually having Q hit Sisko and Sisko hit Q takes a lot away from this, because it takes away from his aloof sneering tone when trying to wind up humans into getting angry, but instead makes it a slap stick joke.

You honestly don't think it would be better if Q had never hit Sisko, but instead merely gave him the opportunity and goaded him until Sisko lashed out, at which point he missed but Q smugly took pride in making him lash out and compared him to Picard?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Look at you all with your wrong opinions. Probably Americans who think a joke isn't funny unless someone gets hit with a bucket of whitewash and a movie isn't complete without the good guy winning.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

counterfeitsaint posted:

You're being really obsessive over this poo poo, even my dumb rear end let the stupid Tuvix thing go eventually, rather than constantly poo poo up the thread with it. You could make the same grognard argument against a lot of the lighter bits of DS9, but... instead, how about you don't?

Besides, it gave us Avery Brooks' best reaction face.

Lol at comparing like 6 posts over 2 pages to the war and peace philosophical treatese that lasted for days about Tuvix.

Apprently that's all that is required to "poo poo up a thread" these days is half a dozen posts over a few pages discussing something with the OP of the thread.

The reaction face is good though.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I liked how Picard was sad to see O'Brien go and stuff in that deleted scene and then he telecoms him off the ship as a sign of respect.

Typical upper management, they say they appreciate you and act all sad when you say you're going but did they ever offer you a promotion or pay rise? Did they gently caress.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Melchior posted:

this kind of makes me wonder if he was actually acting during his tenure on DS9 or just kind of wandered onto the set

I think when he says "wine" he means "kanar"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
That's what Wesley was doing with that child molester uhhh I mean ascended being.

• Locked thread