Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

also can only have one child

hmmm it takes two to form a babby what does that imply for their survival as a species hmmm

maybe the men can have babies too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tujague posted:

Spock flipped out like twice, tops, and one of them was normal biological function, and he spent the rest of the time legitimately being chill and zen. This is a very sharp contrast to NuSpock and Tits Girl.

i believe the second time he freaked out was because of some alien spores or something. Spock was in control of his poo poo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Ive kind of said this before myself but currently rewatching, I feel like season 1 is the only really bad one, and it's much worse than most of TOS is. Season 2 has some misses, and a clip show episode for no reason, but it's a lot closer to the standard of the rest of the show. Characters feel much more familiar than in season 1, and numerous scenes are devoted to their natural lives and interactions, as opposed to season 1's gang of interchangeable space saints running headlong from plot point to plot point. Guinan and Pulaski show up, O'Brien begins to get dialogue, Wesley becomes less freshfaced little bitch. Where Silence Has Lease, A Matter of Honor, Measure of a Man, Contagion, Q Who are all really good episodes. Season 3 has loads of good episodes and also Yesterday's Enterprise, which is probably a top-fiver in the entire show.

e: also season 2 is when they stop letting the blind guy fly the ship, which is probably a good metaphor for something

first season rocks, you have no idea what your talking about. the music is like 100x more interesting

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Omi-Polari posted:

They don't want glory-hounds like Kirk to go off and conquer his own planet like a starfaring Julius Caesar. (And he totally would if it wasn't for the Prime Directive.)

kirk did though, he conquored the gangster planet and made himself emporer

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Bible posted:

Also the Rome planet. God, TOS was pure poo poo.

there are like three Rome planets, not counting the romulans

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Bible posted:

I especially like how Spock stated that the odds of such a planet existing are infinitesimal, yet they pop up constantly and with absolutely no explanation.

And we are to believe TOS is the superior Trek. Voyager wasn't great, but we never had to sit through Janeway hamming up tue Preamble of the Constitution to a bunch of Chinese dudes.

Threshold would have been the crowning episode of the series had it been a TOS script.

TOS is the superior Trek, just by virtue of the fact that every good TNG/DS9/Voyager episode is just a rehash of a TOS episode

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

The galactic disk is only about a thousand light-years thick, leaving's not that hard.

nah man they went hardcore outside the galaxy in that episode. janeway takes 7 seasons to travel across the galaxy, Kirk get his poo poo home by the end of the episode :smug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pieces of Peace posted:

But it was Wesley who got the D home from the edge of the conceivable universe with the power of child molestation realization that thought and matter are like, the saaaaame, man, let the weird guy rub your shoulders through that little rainbow sweater, Wes.

Wesley Crusher: More talented than the entire crew of Voyager

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Oh that episode. Hadn't the ship been taken over by interstellar aliens that souped up the Warp Drive?

yeah, and they killed them before they could turn the super warp drive off. they still have it by the end of the episode, they make no attempt to say it broke or anything, so presumably the federation should have been able to copy the technology

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

Not necessarily. Imagine you go back in time and give Benjamin Franklin an iPad (with a solar charger or something). He was a really smart guy, one of the top scientists of his day, and I think he'd figure out a lot about how to use it. He'd love the calculator app and would probably get pretty good at Candy Crush too. But he wouldn't have a hope in hell of copying the technology and building another one.

yeah except in that episode they didn't so much as use their own technology, but they modified the enterprises normal warp engine (with scottys help!), so they should be able to do that to any other warp engine they have. i mean heck Spock figures out time travel from some kind of hosed up gravity thing, then in a later episode they are just in the 1960's chilling out because spock reproduced the effect.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Maybe Q isn't as powerful as he claims to be? I mean, if I was a highly advanced alien, I'd probably lie to a lesser life form about what I can do too.

the Q are quite limited, and this is made clear in the first few times he encounters Picard. Q seems genuinely scared of humans and what they would become with enough time and development. the Q have infinite material power, but are stagnant because of their attachment to the physical universe. they haven't transcended beyond to a higher reality or anything like that, and they likely see humans reaching their level in time, and surpassing it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kitchner posted:

I just Google image searched her and if she was going to commit indecent exposure at me I'd prefer it when she was on voyager thanks.

the dark voids of the greater dimensions have taken a hard toll on Kes

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kitchner posted:

I'm really surprised they didn't come across more poo poo like this during Star Trek:

Like, why have the Romulans never done this?

I mean sure this weapon is from Voyager (:argh:) and so is the Cardassian version of this, but these types of things seem like the perfect weapon. Put a warp drive in what is essentially a nuke and just have it travel at maximum warp at the enemy broadcasting the identity signal of a freighter or something.

everyone in the alpha quadrant is extremely uncreative, from years of holodeck exposure

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

He said season. It could work per-season.

every season takes place 100 years after the previous season, with the season finale being a history changing event in Federation history.

the first season is Earth in the 2060s, the post nuclear terror world, the final episode being about the unification of Earth into one government. the second season takes place in 2120's on the new mars colony. warp ships have made the solar system a smaller place, but traveling between stars is still beyond the reach of humanity. this season would be kind of like Firefly i suppose, with the season final being about a Sol Federation plot to steal a Vulcan warp 5 shuttlecraft. third season would take place in the 2240's on board the USS Enterprise, under captain Robert April, it would be basically just normal star trek and would end with Kirk becoming the new captain. fourth season takes place in the 2370's on board the USS Equinox, trapped in the Delta Quadrant. this season would be Voyager, but good. the fifth, sixth, and sevenths season can be about future time travel stuff, i donno like doctor who i guess :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
actually a better idea:

season 1: Post nuclear earth
season 2: Mars Colony
season 3: Romulan wars
season 4: Aftermath of the Dominion wars & colonization of the gamma/delta quadrant with slipstream ships. The post-DS9 we all really want.
season 5: Collapse of the Galactic Federation, maybe with the Borg assimilating 99% of the galaxy, Andromeda but good
season 6: Reunification of the Galactic Federation
season 7: Time Travel dr who poo poo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

chaosbreather posted:

its the future where people don't work to attain material goods any more and they're still love their dead gay planet. there's enough planets for every member of the marquis to have like a hundred but they gotta have that one. they weren't abandoned by the federation, they just didn't want to change planets, even for the peace of the galaxy. they believe the government should have less power over their lives, that's right wing, that's reactionary and conservative. they want the federation to go cause death for a colony that's like as old as my mortgage. they're as tea party as you can get in a classless society

right wing people believe in hierarchy, and obeying proper authority. the maquis are left wing hippy anarchists

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it actually comes up earlier, in TNG - The Chase shows a Klingon ship doing some technobullshit thing with its phasers to annihilate a biosphere

presumably this doesn't happen frequently because it's the equivalent of starting a nuclear war.

in TOS a taste of Armageddon Kirk threatens to destroy an entire planet with the power of the Enterprise, and i think scotty mentions the enterprise being able to "sterilize a planet" with their phasers in a matter of hours. i can only assume the alpha quadrant works on the same theory of Mutually Assured Destruction that we have today, as a single cloaked ship could kill trillions of people in a week

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

It wasn't the Romulan star, it was a magic star that could somehow put the entire galaxy at risk. Because that's not completely retarded hack writing at all.

its not an impossible scenario:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-ray_burst

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Filthy Hans posted:

Your own link states that a GRB is a very narrow beam, it could cause an extinction event only on planets hit by that beam, whereas in nu Trek it could somehow destroy the entire galaxy or something similarly stupid

i'm going to be honest with you, i didn't pay very close attention when watching the new star trek movies. didnt seem worth the effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

It doesn't specifically say that it's the Romulan sun though. Under normal circumstances you would assume it would be, but the movie also used a phrase like "could threaten the entire galaxy" so that poo poo is right out the window.

maybe they mean the trillion+ dead on the Romulan homeworld, and the disintegration of their vast space empire as a result "could threaten the entire galaxy"

• Locked thread