Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Yes, my tastes haven't changed in 23 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Booblord Zagats posted:

It was a fun movie with the occasional inexplicable scene that did nothing for the plot or character arcs. I can agree with that

Unfortunately, the occasional inexplicable scenes outweighed the good scenes. Or the one.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

The DS9 episode where they splice the gang into an old TOS episode is really fun and pretty well done

I liked where they really didn't know what the gently caress was going on when they arrived, like not knowing the Klingons didn't have ridges, or what Kirk actually looked like. That was p. funny.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Yup, this is why I read the TVIV Star Trek thread, my daily dose of :spergin: Star Trek info!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Kitchner posted:

Looking at the photos on the bridge there are a lot of screens that I swear I remember being touch screens but maybe they weren't.

We still have touch screens in the modern day though and then they've decided to go back to buttons and knobs :colbert:

EDIT: I guess unless the Enterprise is based in an alternative universe where touchscreens are invented after light speed travel somehow...

Touch screens are awesome until the lights go out or you have to look up while using them. That's one of the biggest complaints I've heard about the Tesla, it's impossible to navigate the screen if you're not looking directly at it.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

shadow puppet of a posted:

Has he been good at anything that wasn't the first one or two episodes of Sherlock?

No. I'm pretty sure he was chosen to be "the next Matt Smith", ie tall lanky awkward looking brilliant person, only his popularity is every bit as manufactured and exists only among tumblr girls, I'm pretty sure. Smith at least had to prove himself and ingratiate himself before the show got too emotionally manipulative, because he was so drastically different than Tennet, but Cumberbatch pretty much rode in on Smith's coat-tails.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

JediTalentAgent posted:

(with some subtitle that alludes to Paradise Lost or something)

"Allusion? Paradise Lost? What's that? Sounds philosophical to me, and I don't like Philosophical stuff" - JJ Abrams probably.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Kitchner posted:

Their ears aren't their dicks dude, presumably they have dicks too.

Massive dicks that all women lust after, according to Roddenberry's one page treatment of the species, over a third of which is dedicated to their sexual prowess.

shadow puppet of a posted:

I really enjoyed this delayed-reaction Crublermatch hate.

Edit: I was gone for two weeks, I had to catch up!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

For some of us, doing something dangerous is our hobby.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

cheerfullydrab posted:

Think how little Picard addresses the whole ship to tell people what's going on. Working the majority of jobs on the Enterprise must be this terrifying experience where you never know if you're going to have something unimaginably horrifying happen to you or your loved ones at any second. Think of the frantic rumors spreading up and down when there's Klingons on the starboard bow. Wait staff at Ten Forward probably shake all the time and have terrible PTSD from constantly wondering if they're going to get exploded. It's the uncertainty of things that really gets you.

In the opening episode, he was like "You're entitled to know that we're going to be going warp 9 and that's dangerous". "You're entitled to know that I'm about to put your lives at risk, good day".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

ikanreed posted:

Then start loving some ensigns.

I've always wondered why star fleet doesn't have fraternization rules. They're not military, but they still have a drat chain of command and conflict of interest.

There's an episode about that where Picard gets a new chief of astrosciences bs and falls for her, then has a bunch of issues resulting from that, then has to send her into harm's way and realizes it's not a good idea so he kicks her off the ship.

• Locked thread