Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

Ah yes ablative armor. Just the thing for a multi-target engaement. Armor that cannot take two shots.

Ah yes ablative armor. Just the thing for a deep space mission, armor that needs to be continually replenished through extra vehicular activity.

If I recall the nerd tech explanations right, Defiant's ablative armour was designed so it was continuously reapplied via replication/transportation/space magic as it was blasted off.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cult_hero posted:

I personally find it a bit of a travesty that the only mention of federation ground forces is a single episode when they're all jumpy and depressed. The whole premise of the Dominion War screams for coverage of the poor drat redshirts on the ground finally succeeding and maybe liberating a bunch of omnisexual Batazeds.

Ground forces never make much sense when you can easily bombard poo poo from orbit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't forget on TNG they're like 'the ship cleans itself'

presumably the space-roombas are really shy and only come out when there's nobody around

Also I always assumed 95% of Earth was basically stoners waiting for their turn on the holodeck

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

please god not another several pages of chattering about eeeeeveryone's favorite nerdcandy books

please

Oh no

Nerdcandy

In the star trek thread

Noooooo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's just really tiresome to hear the same "oh the culture is like a totally awesome federation that meddles all the time, like the federation should" bullshit again and again

just loving make a culture thread already

There is a Culture thread in the book barn

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TEAYCHES posted:

and yea if if somehow people werent full of implants and directly interfaced w/ the ship you still wouldnt ever need more than a dozen people on the ship, everything can be automatic. star trek is not to be seriously thought about as anything other than a half-thought out backdrop to stories of ethics and character

the tech stuff is basically the craziest poo poo people could come up with 50s science fiction ideas

The writers said that when they were developing TNG they did say that realistically this should just be a few dudes sitting around on a couch telling the computer where to go and it does all of the stuff and runs the entire ship, but that gently caress it that's boring and doesn't work as a Star Trek TV show so whatever

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kitchner posted:

There also isn't any "ground forces" they are just dudes in the yellow uniforms. Since the only half way competent security person you ever meet in a yellow uniform is Worf and everyone else gets bitch slapped

Hah. I remember that time in DS9 where Worf is bitching about how much better security was on the Enterprise and Odo just pulls out a Padd and starts listing all of the times that Worf let the ship get taken over.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Entropic posted:

If their magic shields can stop a huge chunk of iron going at a significant fraction of C, they must use a hell of a lot of energy. And if phasers and torpedoes can get through them, they must use an insane amount of energy too.

You're assuming shields react to phasers the same as other things. I always figured phasers and other weapons aliens use were way better at battering down shields than other types of energy or matter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TMP is the Trekkiest of the movies. It's a pity it's also boring.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kitchner posted:

Apprently that's because the warp nacells need to be able to "see" each other or some bullshit.

I mean it's a really cool ship design because of it regardless of how practical it is, but yeah.

Someone pointed out that the real reason for the ship design is probably like a bird puffing up its wings - it looks a lot bigger than it actually is. Romulan psychology.

Kitchner posted:

Also when a Romulan ship explodes why don't black holes open all over the place?

Maybe they do leave the singularity behind, but it'd be a very small singularity. Microscopic.

quote:

A black hole weighing 606,000 metric tons (this is about the mass of the Seawise Giant, the longest sea-going ship ever built) would have a Schwarzschild (Event Horizon) radius of 0.9 attometers (9×10–19 m), a power output of 160 petawatts (160 × 1015 W, or 1.6 × 1017 W), and a 3.5-year lifespan.

That's substantially smaller than the size of an electron. Closer to a quark.

Also, :science:. Black Hole starships promise some pretty amazing capabilities if we were able to construct artificial black holes.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 27, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Omi-Polari posted:

*pops open tricorder app on smartphone*

*begins scanning thread for signs of nerdiness*

*tricorder breaks*

I'm always tempted to tricorder my phone up.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My Q-Face posted:

There was the time Scotty beamed all the tribbles onto the Klingon ship, that's sort of biological warfare.

Also, Kirk stole not one but two cloaking devices, the federation surely knew how to make them and use them well before the Defiant.

Hell, the Federation cloaking device kicked the Romulan and Klingon device's arse. Phase cloak. Toothing problems excepted.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EvilTaytoMan posted:

It would have been cool if they broke out the phase shifting cloaking device for the Defiant during the Dominion War, even if it meant they had to share that technology with the Romulans as a result.

It's one of those technologies that has ridiculous implications if you weaponised it. Cloaking's the least of it. Phase missiles! Phase spy drones sitting in the enemy HQ!

Of course, it might just be that scanning for Chronitons and shooting a good Anyon beam is all you need to defeat it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Their 23rd Century uniforms looked better.

The Nemesis uniforms were pretty good. And the Enterprise ones which looked suspiciously similar.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A replicated thin pseudo-flesh layer to give texture, stretched over a forcefield.

(New thread title please)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ooo, how about for a gritty Trek, they set it away from the Federation, a lone ship, maybe struggling for supplies, having to make hard choices. Hell, maybe half the crew are non-Federation who might not necessarily go along with their ideals. Sounds perfect.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Germstore posted:

No, Enterprise. They scorched central Florida.

No great loss.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TEAYCHES posted:

imo the only way you could have both a realistic and dramatic scifi series now would be to basically copy dune and make it so its illegal to make AI and most people are religious fanatics and shields cause nuclear explosions so everyone still uses guns and melee weapons, but there could still be weird hosed up genetic engineering

thats an uncreative way of doing it, point is that youd have to have some kind of limits set in place that would prevent it from being the culture or whatever boring poo poo a post-singularity show would turn into

Well the AI-is-illegal-and-we-have-to-avoid-too-much-computers is what BSG did.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I want a robot Asimov and a ghola Frank Herbert to fight.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought it was because they'd have to pay royalties to the dude who originally came up with Ro every time she appeared on DS9?

That was Tom Paris/Nick Locarno in Voyager.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My ideal Trek play-around thing right now would be on Netflix and structured like AHS with 12-episode-seasons with each season being a totally new setting and cast.

Hell, they could run that and an Enterprise-G series in parallel.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly if the refugee camp was in Federation control I wanna know why the Federation didn't replicate them a few decent beds.

drat MIGRANT CRISIS

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

The starfleet entrance exam is supposed to be really hard, right? Even boy genius Wesley Crusher had trouble with it despite all his advantages. So how did refugee camp Ro and rape gang planet Yar pass the exam?

Affirmative action.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You mean the Obsidian Order beat us to the Obsidian Order's idea.

There is no way, alternate universe or not, that that strapping young cardie isn't tied 19 ways to Enabran Tain.

gently caress that probably is Enabran Tain himself.

Don't forget that in the parallel universe the Bajorans are an evil empire that conquered the Cardassians.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Actually the Bajorans had been conquered by the Terran Empire and they joined the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance after freeing them.

Wrong parallel universe brah

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ambrose Burnside posted:

reminder that the reboot has guaranteed that there will never be a thinky classic star trek ever again b/c Grim Dark Your Favorite Actors And Incoherent is a more reliable moneymaker

hey don't forget Into Darkness performed unsatisfactorily apparently

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Except if you're ordering Geordi to his death.

She shoulda failed just for that. I mean, the chief engineer? What do you think redshirts are for?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

They should have replaced every B plot for the rest of the series with this. Just in the background, traps going off all the time.

And no matter what the trap is, it always, thorough some convoluted series of events, ends up hurting his shoulder.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 3, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sinking belle posted:

I always wondered what the deal was with the pilot being a mixture of B&W and colour. Like I know the colour bits were the parts they reused for the beeping chair episode but did they lose the original film for the pilot at some point after that or what?

You must've seen an old version. They lost the print for a while and had to intercut what they had from The Menagerie with a black and white workprint, but they found the full-colour version in the late 80s.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Melchior posted:

The whole format of Trek just wouldn't sell as a series these days.

Doctor Who.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

happyhippy posted:

Is for kids and Tumblrettes.

But it sells.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think the Trek movie cast would do pretty well sealed in a barrel an dropped into a chasm. Anyone that starred in a movie more recently than or more successful or more forgettable than "Masters Of The Universe" should be ineligible for pulling TV Trek duty.

Don't you dare say anything bad about Karl Urban.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bible posted:

I don't get what the big deal was; Kirk went to the very edge of the Milky Way as a standard mission. Why didn't they just use the tech he had 100 years ago to just warp back in an afternoon?

The galactic disk is only about a thousand light-years thick, leaving's not that hard.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

Which conveniently saved them from having to set up daycare and school for the children of their over-worked crew.

Except later on they do have to and they pick basically the worst person on the ship to be the child carer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TEAYCHES posted:

yea seriously if you havent read that ron moore interview do so its utterly fascinating that hes so open about the inner workings of the production. dude doesnt get invited to rick berman's parties i can guarantee that

It also shows so many seeds of Battlestar Galactica.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Delsaber posted:

Didn't Tuvix have all of Tuvok and Neelix's memories and skills? If so, there's no real practical reason to split him up again, especially since all the important stuff is in the Tuvok half and Neelix is useless, or would become useless the moment they travelled far enough away from his space. Tuvix could've continued Tuvok's job just fine probably. Neelix could've choked on a dinner roll and died the day before the accident and it would've made no difference.

The quandary wasn't really about their usefulness... more about their right to exist.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can save multiple lives by taking someone alive today and harvesting their organs. Do I?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rutibex posted:

nah man they went hardcore outside the galaxy in that episode. janeway takes 7 seasons to travel across the galaxy, Kirk get his poo poo home by the end of the episode :smug:

Oh that episode. Hadn't the ship been taken over by interstellar aliens that souped up the Warp Drive?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's not like he'd actually feel the pain, why would he care to avoid it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pththya-lyi posted:

:iamafag:

By the way, does the Star Trek fandom have any general feelings about how the brony fandom embraced John de Lancie, or how he embraced it in turn?

Seems a smart enough career move to me.

• Locked thread