Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
For sort of the working stiffs in space thing with some Trek/Red Dwarf, I sort of want to recommend the old Flash series "Starship Regulars". It even has Dorn in it, if I remember. Showtime, about 14 years ago, I think was supposed to take over the show and were thinking about turning it into a full-length live-action or a full-length cartoon series on their network, but nothing really ever came from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Entropic posted:

Was that when they first brought in those other three weirdos who were super-geniuses but still complete social retards?

I'm shocked when I looked up on Memory Beta a while back that there wasn't a lot of fiction out there about those characters.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Data never had built-in Wi-Fi (or Sub-Comm), did he? Maybe he has it, but he's only Data and not a 4G Data, so everything is so super slow that it's easier for him to walk over and use a PADD.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I wonder if Worf set up a DefiantArt account where he can post his drawings and poems about the Defiant.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Romulan ships look like they welded a pair of Klingon Birds of Prey together at the nacelles.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I honestly do think Trek using the movie cast could be done pretty well as a premium cable series on something like Showtime or AMC. It's not like most the cast is above doing television, as I think just about half of them have been doing just that pretty consistently. Do it as a 8-13 episodes seasons or something and try to build it up to Walking Dead/GoT popularity.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

The Bible posted:

That's how bad TOS is. Unwatchable garbage.

To be fair, TOS could probably be rated more a garbage scow.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Tujague posted:

what kind of cookies do you think Gul Dukat liked to eat????

Bajoreos?

"Yes! Yes! That's right, isn't it? I knew it! I've always known it! I should've eaten every last one of them! I should've turned their wrappers into a junkyard the likes of which the galaxy had never seen! I should have eaten them all!"

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 13, 2015

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Odo Spunkmeyer and Fig Noonians

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Lien seemed to stop doing a lot of work right about the time of leaving Voyager, too. She did a voice on the MiB cartoon for a short while and she probably could have parlayed her Trek resume into being just a voice actor for about 10-12 years on various things.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Tighclops posted:

Nobody in a position to make a Star Trek series would have the balls or the awareness to make a show bold enough to break new ground or at the very least, piss off the right assholes in the world

Everybody who isn't a pampered little poo poo knows the future we're heading into is a dystopian nightmare owned by soulless multinationals controlled by untouchable oligarchs that eventually enforce their will with unstoppable killer drone armies and relentless propaganda, Star Trek's optimism is hopelessly naive in the face of that and while it might be argued that we need optimism more than ever, at this point I'm more inclined to agree it's time is past and that we now need topical sci fi that is willing to tackle the issues facing us more directly than conventional space opera is typically able to

I know I've said this before, but after watching Caprica, that's the show I sort of wish Enterprise had been. Have the focus be on the political, social, military and industrial conflict of humanity post-First Contact. As we're starting to move into the greater interstellar arena, see how things gradually shift from our modern world to one that is approaching the philosophy of the TOS and later eras, how the groundwork for TOS/DS9/TNG/Etc. start to get laid out by things that occur in the first decade post-FC. .

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Shadow posted:

Wait, Caprica was good? I heard it sucked and decided to save myself the annoyance.

It was okay. I watched it, at least, but it felt like it took forever to feel like it was getting to somewhere really interesting. It's probably not helped by the fact that from what I remember it wasn't supposed to be a BSG-related show in the first place. I think most people like the final 5 minutes or so of the final episode as I think it sort of reveals about 3-4 years worth of big moments that we were never going to get to as a series.

But I think a lot of the things it tried to deal with would have maybe worked really well with a Trek prequel series: Terrorism, corruption, religious issues, industrial and political espionage, ramping up technical innovations, economic and more modern social issues, etc. Stuff that's not so visible in the Trek series because that's supposed to have been mostly dealt with by the eras of those shows, but could have still been very abundant from an Earth still recovering from a war and dealing with first contact.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Shadow posted:

Watch it if I have absolutely nothing going on? Or not even then? Would I have to watch it all or could I watch some highlight reel on youtube?

I don't really know if there's much of a highlight reel. It'd say if you haven't seen it and are on the fence you could probably just burn through some Wiki episode guides somewhere in about 30 minutes.

But, I have to admit, I sort of liked it. I'd say it's worth a watch if you've seen everything else out there and want to get all your BSG mythology caught up between that and Blood and Chrome. It has a lot from first-season lack of direction, but they do have some interesting things going on in it. I seem to recall the religious cult storyline and stuff with the mob was maybe the most interesting part, as well as some Patton Oswalt cameos.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'll admit, it's been about 4-5 years since I saw the show. I liked it, but I'm also fully aware I tend to like stuff other people don't.

Eric Stoltz character is sort of maybe Steve Jobs meets Rusty Venture. He's gone from being a nobody to creating a massively advanced and hugely popular tech innovation to being caught between past success and failing to perfect his next big thing and losing everything in the process. His daughter is killed in a religious cult's suicide bombing and the media and law enforcement pin her as a collaborator, which further hurts him and his company's image.

He's also not above lighting a robot on fire to see if it is housing his dead daughter's soul.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The only way you'll take my phaser is from my cold dead hand.

Or use a transporter beam to lock onto our weapons and beam them away. One of the two.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Maybe we just don't rematerialize you at all... Look at our man O'Brien over there. You don't think those greasy fingers of his couldn't 'accidentally' hit the wrong few buttons? Seems a little strange, you know, that they trust the lowest ranked and educated member of a Starfleet vessel to be in charge of the device that --in theory-- we tolerate killing its users every time we power it up? What's one more 'death' when the final tally comes around, huh?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Orange Sunshine posted:

None of this is actually depicted in star trek, which is a show about a future military organization full of people working boring loving jobs for no apparent reason, except maybe in 30 years they eventually get the be a starship captain and then they can do some cool stuff. But in the meantime, I think I'll go spend 12 hours recalibrating some equipment while other people get to play captain and science officer. At least it's better than Thompson over there who spends 10 hours a day standing in the brig guarding it for no good loving reason because the ship's computer and sensors could do it for him.

If that one guy ever got around to mass producing Soong-type androids like Data, you wouldn't even have that to do. You'd probably envy Thompson and his brig duties. As such a meaningless and low-priority task, a Data-clone is too valuable to waste on that.

Enjoy wasting your empty life on the holodeck!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The new post-scarcity metric is measured in experiences. So, you'll have hot dog eating contests and how big your gangbang can be to set yourself apart from everyone else.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I wonder if they ever got around to donating Lore to that one guy.

"Lt. Cmdr. Data is a sentient being with all the rights and privileges of a Starfleet officer and Federation citizen. However, if you want to essentially mutiliate or hook a car battery up to the whatevers of his brother, I don't see a problem. Hell, before we got him back here, I was sexually abusing the dismantled body."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Data's maybe going to be stripping him for parts, too. No aftermarket parts on this android.

Data walks onto the bridge, looks 30 years younger, admits cut deactivated Lore's face off and reattached it to his own.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Harveygod posted:

It would have been conceivable that the Romulans clandestinely intervened and had Lore instead of dumbshit B4 in Nemesis. While I'm at it, replace Shinzon with Sela. And replace vampire monsters with just regular hard-line Romulans. Picard and Data's demons come back to haunt them.

Basically, it would be better if it were a completely different movie.

I've literally plotted out fanfic in my head for this script for years.

Man, I've got problems.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, so it makes even more sense to just have a bunch of little single-man-sized holopods.

Just holosuits. You get into a black rubber outfit suspended from a set of tethers that seals you off from outside senses and you can privately engage in any recreational activity of your choosing from your own quarters.

(Federation Holo Story: Enterprise)

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 26, 2015

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I always assumed Vulcans just used one word for and didn't have a difference between male and females when it came to a non-professional, respectful title. When they worked with other species, a single title of 'mister' would just be used to keep things equitable.

I think in a Trek novel I have Spock is talking genetics with McCoy and mentions that Vulcans don't use the terms 'dominant' or 'recessive' when describing genetic stuff like humans do, for example, because of something about how those terms imply something about one being superior and one being lesser.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I could have sworn that there was a (probably retconned) backstory that during a short period of time Klingons and Romulans were allied the latter gave the Klingons access to some ship technology and designs.

Ask the Klingons, though, and the Romulans stole the 'naming a ship class after a bird'-technology from the original Klingon.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
It looks like Wesley Crusher grew up to look a bit like Riker...

Bev's ship's doctor, so she was probably able to forge DNA records to hide an affair she had with a drunk Cadet named Willy several years earlier.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

MikeJF posted:

I don't see it?

That's what Wesley imagines he'll look like because he still thinks Jack Crusher is his father.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Orange Sunshine posted:

There have been a number of episodes of tv series which had time loops or resetting days, as did the movie Groundhog day and other movies. The xfiles did it, stargate, buffy the vampire slayer, and others. None of these lasted more than a 2 hour movie, though. How are you going to make a whole series out of this without it getting boring?

There was this show that tried it about 10 years ago, but it didn't last.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_Break

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Kitchner posted:

Actually just knit one that says "Dukat was right"

Knit a sweater that says "Kirk is a Jerk" on the back.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The Klingons are so honorable, they choose a weapon that puts both combatants on the same equally awkward footing.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Rip mirror odo

Rip? More like 'kaboom'.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Mondian posted:

After Of Gods and Men I was very prepared to hate the gently caress out of Star Trek Continues, but they actually did a good job at what they set out to do. Granted, it helps that its relatively easy to make something look like no-budget 60s schlock.

Along those lines, wasn't Darkplace considered a sort of expensive production because they were trying to make it look like 1980s schlock?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The other thing to mention is every single one of those films is that they make use of a lot of big effects, CG or action scenes, too.

Going off that list, the first films that sort of 'doesn't' fall into that category is The Lion King at #24, maybe, but it's still animated which I don't know...

The last year where a non-animated, non-heavy action/FX film was the highest grossing film of the year appeared to be 1990 with Ghost.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
No wonder he balked on Ellison's drug dealin' Scotty* script.

*(Yeah, I know, it wasn't Scotty...)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
If Trek was sort of being used to promote the wonders of color TV, when modern 3D first started being a thing in the home television market in the last half-dozen or so years, was there any attempts to do series that would promote 3D the same way?

Or was it mostly just assumed that theatrical movies already made in 3D were enough and TV content producers outside of sports programming just didn't think it was worth the time/effort to make original content for the very small audience who had the format?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Probably some handwaving about how they discovered some security flaw with the touchscreen devices that could allow remote hacking of Starfleet ships or corrupting Okudagrams to give inaccurate labels. Moving to buttons and levers for an era hardwired everything to to serve more single use duty to prevent that.

Starfleet got hit with adware that they thought was a real control PADD menu. They eventually patch it and move back to touchscreens a generation later.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

That show has had terrible luck with its cast, I think seven of them have died so far! :(

It'll turn out that Harlan Ellison is secretly behind it in some bid to extend his own lifespan.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I know this is fanficky, but with what they were working with in Into Darkness, I would have went away from the whole 'corrupt Starfleet' angle and maybe have played up the notion that Kirk and company are being sent on a rescue mission after reports of an unregistered Earth vessel had been captured by the Klingons. "Into Darkness" would be more about the fog of war, venturing alone into a disputed frontier without a guide or a line for support from home, and fighting an enemy they'd yet to face.

You make the Klingons the foes, you maybe put in a known Klingon figure as the main heavy. You get some starship fights, some ground fights, a rescue, chaos, narrow escape, etc.

Film doesn't get into the augments/Khan stuff at all until the end when we get a pre-credits stinger of a Botany Bay patch on one of the rescued or something. You have a film sequel (with some subtitle that alludes to Paradise Lost or something) about an escalating fight aboard the damaged Enterprise between augments and Starfleet and a continuing story of them trying to sneak back to behind Federation borders while being stalked by a Klingon ship: A battle on two fronts trying to defend the ship and making deals with the devil on both sides.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Maybe I'm just imagining this, but I seem to remember someone talking about how they worked in the entertainment industry about 10 or so years ago when the internet video content was becoming pretty big and traditional movies/TV were being criticized for not being as fresh and interesting as these young upstarts who were doing it all on a fraction of the budget.

They sort of went on to explain that a lot of these new internet folks, though, were sort of getting a HUGE pass in the legal side of things at the time. I think they spoke about how much time and money traditional media spent just to deal with lawyers, filming permits, music licensing, contracts, insurance, guilds, etc. that internet talent was just ignoring.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 31, 2015

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Rename the fan movie to 'Star Truk', 'Vulcarn', 'Fooderation', and 'Klongons' and Paramount can't do poo poo!

Insert pornography and call it "This Ain't Star Trek--A XXX Parody". Just take a few thousand dollars and find some adult models willing to take requests for scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

reminder that the term "slash fic" actually originated with star trek fans in the 70s writing erotic fiction

it's a reference to the slash in "kirk/spock"

I have a book called the Covert Culture Sourcebook 2.0 from 1994. Generally about all sorts of niche and interesting things out there in the forms of music, books, culture, etc., sort of pre-mainstream Internet and it sort of shows in some of the internet things it does reference and that a huge portion of the contents only have telephone/mailing addresses for more info.

Anyway, there's a small section for a book called Textual Poachers from 1992 which seems to sort of be about the topic and I'm not sure if it might be one of the first books to cover fan-fic and slash-fic given that it did come out before internet fiction was so big.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0415905729?keywords=textual%20poachers&qid=1451793803&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

The Amazon link likely has better reviews/descriptions that I can type up from my CCS2.0 book, though.

Tasha and Data on horseback, wonderful cover.

edit: There's apparently a newer version that maybe covers more modern stuff, but I'd actually probably more interested in what the original had to say given its publication in the early 90s and probably informed more by nothing newer than 1990-1991.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 3, 2016

• Locked thread