Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
How does it look through your eyes? Let's Play Atelier Shallie

1...2...3...4...5...6 PS3 Ateliers?!

You got that straight. 2014 / 2015's Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea is the sixth Atelier on the PS3 (not counting Atelier Rorona+, a remake), and the third entry in the Dusk Trilogy (Ayesha's Japanese title was "Alchemist of the Ground / Land of Dusk", something that was kind of lost in its localized name, Escha obviously was the "Sky", and we have the "Sea" now). As stated in the previous two threads of mine that have covered the Dusk Trilogy, in this world, humanity finds itself on the brink of cataclysm and desolation, the eponymous Dusk. The causes run deeper than any one man can so far find, but that has not stopped several individuals from finding their own solutions, and making their own stories. This time, we join Shallistera Argo (the girl in the red / orange dress) and Shallote Elminus (green-haired girl), as they unite their very distant lives and goals toward returning water to a parched land. The road may not always be easy, but they've got more than a few folks helping out. Many of whom we've seen before.

As far as the game's somewhat confusing name goes, Shallistera (whom Shallote nicknames Stera to avoid confusion with herself) and Shallote (whom Stera nicknames Lotte, for the same reason), have the same nickname - Shallie. As far as the two protagonist thing is executed, it may be fairly compared and contrasted with Escha & Logy. To Gust's credit, it is far from a simple retread.

So what does Gust do with the Atelier game plan this time?

Well, the game is structured rather differently from Escha or Ayesha. Indeed, its most valid comparison would be either Rorona or Meruru (the first and third PS3 Ateliers, respectively), strangely enough. This game is divided up into 10 chapters. At the start of each chapter, your heroine is tasked with something related to advancing the story. This may be investigating new lands, defeating a special monster, or any number of various tasks. Once this plotline task is completed, the chapter opens up and you're allowed to embark on various subquests, what the game calls Life Tasks. Life Tasks take on a myriad of distant forms, from synthesizing new items with special properties, breaking barrels, talking to people, exploring, defeating boss monsters, etc. etc. etc.

Completing enough Life Tasks allows you to end the chapter and proceed to the next one, where the cycle repeats. Once you reach Chapter 10, however, you are very quickly given your final storyline task, and from then you can proceed to do anything and everything you want before completing the final objective. However, once you complete the objective, you are more or less locked into completing the game, so make sure all your affairs are in order before you finish up.

One final important difference from every previous Atelier is that the time limit is GONE. The game does not track in any way whatsoever how long you spend traveling, or gathering new materials, or anything. This, more than anything, changes how Shallie is played and veterans of the Atelier series on the PS3 may initially be caught off-guard, because the gameplay expectations between Shallie and the other five are pretty different. But, I think we'll figure something out.

Ah, but we can be expecting the Sylphid touch, eh?

Indeed. The natural extention from what I did in the Escha thread would be to write my own dialogue for all characters, when I deem appropriate. And this is just what I'll do. As you might expect, italics indicate anything I make up, plain text is the game's own. Otherwise, a full 100% playthrough, including all sorts of bonus videos and a tour of the game's DLC dungeon, and the two DLC characters, seems sensible to me.

However, I will not promise to complete ALL Life Tasks, as there's no particular point to completing all of them, or to reach Combat or Alchemy Level 99, since that's really more effort than is necessary for a comprehensive playthrough, but that may just be a natural consequence of me playing the game through again (a completely new game playthrough for Stera, New Game+ for Lotte). Rest assured I'll cover all content that is remotely interesting to a prospective audience.

I heard you talking about Atelier artbooks in the Escha thread...

And I stand by it. For those that missed that particular announcement, when I was LPing Escha, I had come into the possession of all three artbooks for the Dusk Trilogy. I love this trilogy, and hopefully these three threads taken together will show you why. To that end, I acquired all three artbooks, and I intend to post all kinds of extras in the thread that are in those books, and in those books only, such as very rough concept art for characters, interviews with some of the staff, and various other interesting tidbits.

Though I do not speak any Japanese, there are more than a few ways to get around something like that. How I'll do it has yet to be decided, but hey, there's always hope.

Spoiler Policy

I have never had a particular problem with spoilers in any of my threads, but typical spoiler rules are fully in effect here. No talking about future events except in spoiler tags blah blah blah.

Huh...that was kind of a long OP, huh? Well, I said what I wanted to say. For those who have followed along with my Atelier threads, and folks who are new to my Atelier LPing crusade, I swear to finish the Dusk Trilogy with all the care and respect it deserves.

Updates

Part I: The Near Side of the Dusk Sea
Part II: The Calamitous Side of the Promised Meeting
Part III: The Dangerous Side of the Lush Archipelago
Part IV: The Vanished Side of the Past World
Part V: The Varied Side of the Converging Stories
Bonus Update 1

Part VI: The Financial Side of the Girls' Journeys
Part VII: The Unsure Side of the Twin Adventures
Part VIII: The Energetic Side of the Talented Girl
Part IX: The Final Side of the Separate Paths
Part X: The Resolute Side of the Desperate Battle
Bonus Update 2

Part XI: The Decisive Side of the Great Confrontation
Part XII: The Efficient Side of the Job Taking
Part XIII: The Mysterious Side of the Eastern Lands
Part XIV: The Ghostly Side of the Ship Graveyard
Part XV: The Close Side of the Two Friends
Bonus Update 3

Part XVI: The Aerial Side of the Alchemist's Training
Part XVII: The Wrathful Side of the Great Spirit
Part XVIII: The Illusory Side of the Floating Ruin
Part XIX: The Tragic Side of the Woman's Love
Part XX: The True Side of the Buried Remains
Bonus Update 4

Part XXI: The Flying Side of the Youthful Wish
Part XXII: The Sweet Side of the Dynamic Festival
Part XXIII: The Valiant Side of the Great Heroes
Part XXIV: The Far Side of the Twilight Ocean

Endings

Part XXV: The Other Side of the Cloudy Glass - Homeward Bound
Part XXVI: The Other Side of the Cloudy Glass - Taskmasters
Part XXVII: The Other Side of the Cloudy Glass - The Great Work
Part XXVIII: The Other Side of the Cloudy Glass - Eternal Dream
Part XXIX: The Other Side of the Cloudy Glass - My Fated Person

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Endgame Post

So, in lieu of awkwardly trying to explain the high-level alchemy you're almost expected to do at the end of the game (Chapter 10) in an actual update, I decided it would be best to explain this stuff in an OOC post, covering all the odds and ends of doing alchemy with powerful traits and ingredients. Keep in mind, aside from the alchemy I do, the choices of what traits to use are your choice. I'll merely explain how you maximize whatever path you take.

Let's start, appropriately, at the beginning. To even get the traits you need, you'll need powerful prey to drop them. In Chapter 9's free roam, Solle will give whichever alchemist you're playing the game as with the heads up that a bunch of powerful monsters have shown up around the Dusk Sea. This is your cue that you can begin grinding powerful ingredients. There are a bunch of them, but the three you should be most concerned about are the Silver Dragon at Geofront, the Phoenix of the Sea at the Altar of Spirits, and the Servant of the Beast King in the Herb Garden -Depths- I've already shown, in the previous update, where the three are. Anyway, the Phoenix and the Dragon are going to be your primary source of powerful traits at this point of the game. The Silver Dragon's gimmick is that it is resistant to a lot of attacks (most blunt-type attacks and magic attacks. Everyone's normal attack except for Lotte and Solle, I believe, will be able to inflict normal damage on it. It's also a pretty powerful monster, so don't assume he's a total cakewalk. it's also good to know he takes normal damage from every element, so you don't need to worry about those resistances.

His real gag is that after a set number of turns passes, he'll transform into a much more powerful monster, and your fight will drag on for quite a bit longer. There's two different enemies he can transform into, but both are strong monsters. But since we're grinding, you're going to want to avoid that stage. Throw everything at the first form, and if you beat it, you'll get a drop that looks something like this.

The Pendelook has the traits Count Super Enhance (increases the power of an item significantly by the amount of uses it has left) and Traditional Soul (adds 50 PP to any synthesis that trait is in, with a maximum PP of 99). The Diamond Gemstone has the trait Valorous Soul, which provides various increases to a weapon's attack. This is just an average drop (with a possible drop count of four. Use Jurie's Unseen Attack to increase item drop rate), but it contains our golden boy Traditional Soul, which you'll need for funding almost all of your powerful end-game traits.

Now, the Silver Dragon, and all of his ilk, do respawn, I'm just not sure of the rules of when or how they do. It has something to do with other locations you visit, which is why I mentioned the two other bosses. Phoenix is an interesting fight, in that it will pass on two of its turns, with the gimmick that the third time it gets a turn, it'll launch a devastating line-up of six powerful attacks in a row. You shouldn't let it get to this point, obviously. The Servant is simply a powerful physical attacker without any particular weaknesses (he is strong against Fire and Water), but without gimmicks. Once your rotation or thereabouts is complete, return to Stellard, and the Silver Dragon should respawn.

You may be asking, why the Silver Dragon? That's because it'll provide the best traits on average, but the Phoenix will give the most experience, and a good trait or two of its own (in fact, this end-game trait grinding is a good way to get a lot of EXP. The Phoenix will give about 4 times the experience the Dragon will, with the EXP number dropping dramatically once your characters are past level 80.

Anyway, keep that rotation going, and get the traits you want. Now, it's on to the alchemy aspect of it.

This was taken in the latter parts of my synthesizing, but the point always remains. So, how do you move the traits you want to the equipment you want? This is the point of this post, and what I'll do my best explaining.

All things begin with the Traditional Soul. I had an incredible bout of misfortune regarding that trait, as it only showed up once in like 6 hours of grinding. And just for the record, like a lot of powerful end-game traits, you can't create it by combining two more common traits, so don't ask. It happened to be on a material called the Dragon Bone from the Silver Dragon, which was an unfortunate occurance, as the Dragon Bone is a (Dragon Material) item. There's only one synthesis that could have resulted in the outcome I wanted: the Sun Flower. The Sun Flower is an alchemy level 70 item that needs 9 Scrap Metals (from the factory area where we got the first automaton as Lotte way back when), 1 Dunkelheit, one Aroma Materia (another high-level synthesis. Alchemy level 50 something, and a very valuable synthesis item in its own right), and a Dragon material.

The reason I wanted a Sun Flower was because it's an ingredient in several categories. It counts as a (Jewel), (Ancient Power), (Metal), and (Elixir). Once I got the Sun Flower made, I obviously put Traditional on it and began spreading it around. That's the way it goes. Unless you are supernaturally lucky at getting that trait, you need that trait on items all over the place. Create Supplements (you should only be interested in Rainbow, Black, and White Supplements, though the other four have their uses), anything that falls into one of those four categories. Just keep spreading it around, and if you think you have enough items that have it, you're wrong.

So once you're done spreading it around, time to start preparing your synthesis items.

This is an average synthesis. Why do I have so many Earth-type alchemy skills on this synthesis? Surely I don't need all of them, you say. You only have half the story looking at that screenshot. First, check out how good this Mysterious Cloth is (the Mysterious Cloth is a good item to add armor-enhancing traits to, by the way). 378 quality, with a quality cap of 999. How in God's name did I get that? There's no sorcery here, just good ol' fashioned synthesis. Higher quality will just increases the effects (damage dealing, stats, etc.) of the item. Higher is better, of course.

Check what all the ingredients have in common. With the exception of the Slag Core, they all have an Earth value (the Super Pure Water has an Earth trait attached called Attribute Earth, which adds Earth to any item that doesn't already have it. When you add two alchemy skills that have the same attribute (so, for example, if I added Med. Ingenuity and Property Level+ for Wind), I would get Chain Bonus x2. If I added Equip. Frame- Level 2 next, and that material still had slots to put alchemy skills in (or the next material in the synthesis also had a Wind attribute), my Chain Bonus becomes x4. You keep going, and going, and you keep doubling that number.

You could get around Chain Bonus x16,000 if the cap on the Chain Bonus wasn't 5000, and every item in the synthesis had four alchemy skill slots, but that's plenty (and when you run out of alchemy skills of an element, the Chain resets with a new element.). What you want to do next is leave two slots open. One is the Earth skill Chain Effect, which increases the effect of an item in proportion to the Chain Count (which is how I got that Mysterious Cloth up to 378), and Number / Count level 3. For an item like this, that increases the number of that item that comes out of the synthesis (here, I'd get five Cloths) or for items with a use count, it increases the number of times you can use it.

Just as a side note, with Miruca, the Chain Count can go up to 7000.

Here we go with the actual alchemy we're interested in, making superweapons. Now, whether it's armor, weapons, accessories or healing items, it's always the same. You want powerful traits mixed with PP increasing traits (Traditional Soul is 50, PP Frame Expansion is 8, and PP Frame Maximization is 20. Added together with your alchemist's base PP, that's easily 99) on the items you want. If you don't find it from a drop, you can artificially create Expansion with PP Expansion +3 and +5 in the same synthesis, and Frame Maximization comes from PP +5, which is pretty common, and +7, which you can get by getting Property level 3 with a Red Supplement.

It would be simpler if you could just have all the traits you wanted on one synthesis ingredient, but this is rare. It's not critical, anyway. Now, let's check out how I made this Meteor (Stera is the only one who can use this. It's probably her best attack item, since it also has a timed effect, meaning when you use Meteor, it'll drop three more times before it goes away).

All those Fire skills in a row, I've already explained why I do that(with the Leichester Meteorite Iron needing Attribute Fire), but the last one is Equip Frame+ Level 2. Why I used this, I will shortly explain.

Jumbo Blessing is the reason. That trait increases the power of an attack or healing item x10 depending on how many equip slots it takes up (up to a maximum of 9). That means you can almost double the power of an attack item with a single trait, depending on how much room it takes up. Quality always trumps quantity when it comes to attack / healing items in this game. Huge Damage with Numbers "Massively enhances attack items by a fixed amount. Weaker power results in stronger enhancement." Which means I probably could have better spent this slot elsewhere, but eh. Things worked out. Property Super Enhance massively increases the effect of an item depending on the properties present. What this means, is that the higher PP the cost of the traits on your item, the more that trait increases the power of the item. Since these traits together cost me 96 PP, that's a *huge* increase.

This is another accessory I like a lot. The Treasure Grimoire might not objectively be one of the best, but it does provide one significant buff: significantly increasing the power of Ultimate Attacks (Ultimate Mastery). I usually like to put this on a few characters, as it'll make Ultimate Attacks hit like a runaway train powered by a jet engine packed with nitroglycerin. In my battle against the ultimate final boss, Keith broke the damage scales of the game. The game said he hit for 53,320, which is perfectly respectable, but the numbers just didn't add up. The boss had more than 80,000 HP left before his Ultimate. When I actually did the math, the final attack actually hit for 153,320. It's the most damage I've ever seen any of my characters do.

For this Grimoire, Lord of Day provides HP regeneration and a chance to avoid KO, Earth Spirit resists turn delay attacks and increases the assist recovery rate, and Sky Soul both increases assist effects and increases the amount of Burst Gauge filling each attack by that character does. Not a terribly exciting line-up, but certainly a solid, supportive one.

For Lotte and Stera, your accessories should be different. Since their primary role is to survive and use items to support everyone else, you should focus on defensive accessories / traits. This Gold Coin of Fortune increases MP and defense (Water Spirit), HP and attack (Fire Spirit), and increases all stats except for resistances and fire and water resistance (Sunlight). I only made this for the Avoid KO-S (gives a small chance to avoid a KO, as the name might suggest), and because it's a fairly easy accessory to get good traits on.

This accessory is available to both alchemists, contrary to what I first believed. From top to bottom, the highest level effects get you larger than expected damage (higher level increases this effect), automatically revive from KO (only when that character's turn comes up), increases damage of critical hits by 15%, and increases damage in Burst Mode by 5%. For traits, I went with Light God (bestows damage reversal and neutralizes all negative status effects), Lord of Night (increases critical hit chance and chance of dramatically reducing wait time after an action), and Dark God (increases speed and reduces skill wait time). Considering all you should be using is skills, an incredibly valuable trait.

This is what I have weapons for Keith. For all my characters, I went with some combination of Persisting Attack (power / skill power increase), Valorous Soul (which does much the same thing. These two traits stack), Twin Burst (significantly increases the amount of Burst Gauge percentage added per attack. Makes getting into Burst Mode much easier), and Chaos Attack, which is much the same as Persisting Attack. It's not very imaginative, but you can hardly argue with results, eh?

For armor, the choice is between Combat Shirts or Divine Shirts. Divine Shirts have better stats, and DMG Cut-L reduces incoming damage by 10%, hardly an inconsiderable amount, but Combat Shirts give you a pretty strong chance of avoiding a KO. The choice is yours. For traits, you could do much worse than Evolves the Body, Enhances the Body (base stats increase by 10%), and Tough Body (base stats increase of 15%, and +30 to defense).

For the last part of this post, let's talk the Elixir, since it's by far the most valuable healing item and pretty much makes all others obsolete. Now, this Angel Powder is an indirect, but important step. The reason I made this with these traits is that the Angel Powder can move ingredients from a Supplement to a (Medicinal Ingredient), which in turn can be applied to a Medical Solution (the Solution is an excellent transfer item to weapons, armor, accessories, or healing / attack items), and the Solution can be applied to the Elixir in the (Mystery) category.

The Elixir itself is an alchemy level 74 item, and requires a Dunkelheit, (Water), (Mystery), and (Elixir).

Now, under normal circumstances, I could jack all the Effects on this thing all the way, but that's not what you want to do, for the sake of the Wind effect (which, at its highest value, has no effect, but second highest removes all negative status effects). You can see all the usual PP enhancing suspects, but take note of Low Energy Mode on the Super Pure Water and Reuse Resources and Auto Material on the Ancient Tree Splinter (quite a lucky break to get those two in one, actually). By the way, Low Energy Mode, unless you find it as a property on a material, can also be acquired by combining Recycle and Recycle+ in the same synthesis. You can find these traits on the Junk / Scrap Metal and the Small Relic, respectively.

This is about ideal, as the Elixir takes up fairly little space, has all the best possible effects. I wish I could have gotten the effect value a little higher, but I'll just have to accept this as a result.

Perpetual Motion means the use count of the item will never go down, but it consumes the alchemist's MP instead. Not a big deal, since it will immediately be replaced by the MP Recovery XL. Auto Material turns the Elixir into a timed effect and is automatically used when an alchemist's HP falls below 25%, and Blessing of Strength grants a massive (about 40 points) attack increase to all characters affected by it. Perpetual Motion and Auto Material (or any "Alchemist falls below x health in battle, automatically used" traits) are your primary targets here. You can put anything you want in the third slot. Totally up to you.

Honestly, I may have to revisit the Elixir, since 25% is not great, and you can get an auto-use up to 60% with the trait Auto Use. We'll see how things work out, and it wouldn't be that hard to get those traits back.

Edit: turns out things worked out marvelously with this Elixir.

As a postscript, I am not saying this is the only combination of traits, accessories, attack items, armor, weapons, etc. that will guarantee success. With the high level alchemy in this game, and the wide variety of traits available to you, there are any number of choices that will all have the same chance of success I had when going up against the two most powerful bosses in the game. Hopefully this was informative, and any questions will be addressed appropriately as edits to this post.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 14, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part I: The Near Side of the Dusk Sea

Music: Rusty Sky

Golden clouds are sailing in the sky.
I'm standing on thin ice.

Black night is coming from above.
No one can escape. Nowhere to hide anymore.

We'll fall into an endless sleep
A gentle breeze touches my cheeks
Thin ice mirrors the sky burning

We know the world slowly makes all go back to the start
All of our wounds need to heal more or to get worse

Invisible forces lead us to where we belong
We're looking for reasons to resist or to surrender

I pluck nails stuck deeply in my feet to try to walk again
Black night is coming from above

No one can escape
Nowhere to hide anymore
We'll fall into an endless sleep

A gentle breeze touches my cheeks
I feel I'm helpless
Time won't stop

We know the world slowly makes all go back to the start
All of our wounds need to heal or to get worse

Invisible forces lead us to where we belong
We're looking for reasons to resist or to surrender

Fading light

You're so far away

We're burning and frozen

I walk to you

Music: Disappeared Water

The Dusk World

...I can't believe it. Is it true the water in this city is drying up?

Yes.

But it seems like there's still so much of it... What are you going to do?

Are you sure the results of your investigation are accurate?

I'm positive. Central is concerned about this situation too, you know.

I don't buy it. Our little far-town isn't enough to warrant their attention.

Stellard is the only city with a water source in this region. If it dries up or disappears, it will affect all settlements in proximity, and they'll wither and perish. The Dusk Sea will swell, and slowly, eventually, consume everything. It's not just your problem anymore. Understand?

The Dusk Sea will consume everything, huh...

Music: Open the Door

Travelers with a mission

Music: The Girl of the White Sands

Feeling seasick?

Oh hi, Kortes. I'm okay, the waves are nice and calm. For now, anyway.

The Dusk Sea is unpredictable, so don't get caught daydreaming.

I know.

Kortes!

I don't like having to remind you to treat Shallistera with more respect.

It's okay, Teo. We're pretty far from Lugion Village.

That doesn't matter! As he only daughter of the chief, you're representative of the village. Even though you are comfortable with us, when you speak, you speak for the people of Lugion... Remember that.

I'm just saying it's okay, jeez.

(She has no sense of her position...)

Anyway, our journey is nearly over. We'll finally be able to relax.

Um, not exactly. We've only just begun once we've gotten to Stellard... Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Yeah I know, but still... Teo, what kind of town is Stellard, anyway?

I've heard it's a bustling city with plenty of commerce, where people her to collect their plentiful water.

So it's a pretty lively city... (I remember my father used to tell me about the lights, and how they looked like shining jewels... I actually get to see them myself... I'm so happy! NO! Don't get too excited. Not yet. Father... Everyone. I'll definitely finish this task for the village...)

Shallie... I know the desert has already claimed the closer village, but Lugion is still safe. We just need to stay focused and find the reason why the water is drying up. Then we can make a plan.

Of course. I'm confident Stellard will have a way to help us. Hey, Kortes, Teo... I'm going to need your support though.

Don't worry, miss, that's the whole reason we're here. My primary function is to support you. There's no need for you to worry about anything.

Alright then, I'm counting on you, Teo.

...Ehh?!

...Teo!?

Music: Alchemist on a Ship

Ooh... Owww...

Dad!! What's wrong?!

It's just my hip...

You ARE getting older... Maybe you should try and be more careful.

I wasn't thinking. If only I could do something about this... Ugh, ow.

(Teo's always been like this... Maybe I can help him...)

Jeez, what happened to being a pillar of support? You're falling apart right here...!

Are you sure you're okay? You should sit down for a minute.

Ugh... This is going to be a pain.

What is?

We're supposed to be landing to restock on supplies soon...

Of course, we wouldn't want to run out.

Won't it be too hard to resupply without Teo's help?

Music: I Don't Get It

Not really, it'll just take a little longer since it's just me.

I could help, too...

It's nice you want to chip in, but I don't know if you're strong enough...

Is that a no?

Shallie, there're plenty of things you help with that only you can do. I got this.

Kortes...

I hope we at least arrive in Stellard before it gets too dark. The sea is dangerous at night. We really shouldn't spend too much time resupplying.

Oh, I know!

What?

I could try making a medical compress with alchemy...

Will that really work?

Let's see, what's first...

Shallie, can I see how you do alchemy? I've always wanted to learn, but I've never really gotten how...

Sure. Can get that book for me?

I can't understand some of this, but I know you need those three ingredients to make the compress, right?

Yes. We have plenty of those ingredients on the ship, but they're really common.

But some of these other notes. Like, what does this "+15" next to the entry mean?

Well, as every alchemist knows, there's four major elements that make up everything in the world: Water, Wind, Fire, and Earth. If I used this compress as an ingredient in another synthesis, it would add a value of 15 to the Wind balance in the new synthesis.

Oh, that makes sense... I guess I can understand the basics, but when it comes to execution...

I havent really studied at all, either. Everything I've done has been done from trial and error.

Once you've added all the ingredients together, you can check what effects the final product will have. I only know a few, since it's in that recipe book, but stronger materials can make incredibly useful items. I haven't had a chance to gather more materials lately, though...

Well, let's see how this turns out. Maybe these ingredients will be enough.

Shallie, do you know why the ingredients can mix together like that?

I'm sure there's a reason, but I've never really understood why. Alchemy sure is incredible...

Trial and error

Lessee, the materials are... And a of this... There! It's done.

Well it looked kind of dangerous at first, but it looks like it worked out alright.

Don't call it "dangerous"!

Huh? You know how it works?

No, but I...

If you don't know how something works, it's dangerous. What if you made a mistake?

Well, I... We should just give this to Teo!

How do you feel, Teo?

Hmm, well... yes, it looks like I'm back to norma-- Oww!!

Don't get up so fast!

Oohh, that hurt...

I was afraid of this... Mm... Looks like it didn't work very well. I'm sorry, Teo...

Don't apologize, Lady Shallistera. I just need to relax a little.

Even so, if this keeps happening, we're going to run into trouble. Maybe a change in ingredients will help?

Y-yeah... Hmm, what else could I use...

We should check around the room.

Okay...!

Shallie, I'll check downstairs. There's a lot of cargo down here, maybe there are some alchemy ingredients down there.

But would you know--? Oh, he's gone. Let's see...

Maybe in here? Yeah, these are some good ingredients!

Shallie, did you find something?

Helpful girl

Wouldn't hurt to try.

Okay, I'll synthesize it again.

Oh, I see... That Taun has some Water elements in it, so adding that to the Water...

We get a better effect!

Just a final stir, and... ...It's done. I hope this goes well...!

...How's that, dad?

Ohh... Oh wow! This is great! The pain is just melting away...

Dad, wait!

Teo, if you get up too fast...!

You don't have to worry... It's like the pain in my hip was just an illusion.

R-really?

I feel much better! And it's all thanks to you, miss.

Well that's a relief!

You're a natural! You really should have more confidence in your alchemic abilities.

Really? I've only learned by watching...

You should do some proper studying. It could prove extremely beneficial to you. A strength.

A strength, huh...

This reminds me, I took a shot at alchemy a while back, but I didn't really get it. This could be a matter of innate talent, like my dad mentioned.

...Natural talent.

Anyway, my hip feels much better now. I think I'm going to take a walk.

You might be feeling better now, but don't push it! You could hurt yourself even worse.

I don't want to hear... Eh?

What's wrong?

It looks like we're nearing the shore.

We're lucky to have found such a nice place to drop anchor.

Really?

Now we can go get supplies.

That's a relief. I was starting to get a little nervous about the food situation...

Well, we should go take a look around outside.

Okay!

If you're going outside, please dress appropriately, miss.

Dress appropriately? But this dress is the symbol of my status as the chieftain's daughter...and I didn't bring any other dresses.

I know that, but... It'd be too late once the accident had occurred, after all.

Well, the monsters around here aren't too strong, but it wouldn't hurt to be a little geared up.

Your personal items are on the table, Shallistera.

Alright... I'll go get them.

Is that how you're going to protect yourself?

I can't use swords or spears like Kortes can...I can only channel my family's magic with relics like this.

Of course, Miss Shallistera. Just be careful, and listen to Kortes.

I know. I'll be careful.

At least we found enough materials to make a Craft. This should be able to take care of weaker monsters. That should do it.

Jeez... I'll go get her, dad, you should still be resting.

I'm counting on you.

Sandy Sea

Music: Sandy Sea -Desert-

Ohh, I'm sorry...

I know I said was a fairly safe place, but you never know what might happen.

I know. By the way...

Hmm?

We're pretty close to Stellard now, aren't we?

Yeah, it shouldn't be too far off. Why do you ask?

Well, isn't Stellard supposed to be the shining oasis in the Dusk Sea? We're so close, but it seems like the desert just keeps going on forever...

Well, it's not like there's a lot of water to go around. Stellard has survived in a fairly remote region, but there's only enough for the people living there. It's still the best chance we have of finding a way to help Lugion, but we shouldn't expect a lot from the surrounding areas. Shallie, we should look around for anything useful for now. Nothing will get done if we just stand around.

Yeah, I guess you're right.

Even if we don't return to this place, we should still survey and gather what we can. Star Fruit can be used for explosive materials, but it's still only a fruit...

Those barrels still have some water in them. It may not be high quality, but we shouldn't waste anything.

Looks like we gathered everything, but... There doesn't seem to be an abundance of materials around here.

No kidding. We found some wood chips, Star Fruit, Water, and some plants, but nothing very useful. We won't be able to resupply anything at this rate.

What should we do?

Let's keep looking for a little while longer... This place is much different from the area around Lugion.

Okay then, we'll look a little longer.

We could also this gathering information about the area around Stellard.

Yeah...

Music: Sand Clouds

Ahhh...! Something's here!

Calm down, Shallie!

You say that, but...!

Stay calm, and stay focused.

But...but...! I've never fought anything before!

It's okay, they're not that strong. Here they come!

An uncertain future

Music: Aquarius

Shallie, we need to combine our attacks to throw the enemy off-balance.

Like that!

But I can't fight that well...

No, but you can help!

Wo--Wow!

Great job! I'll finish this!

Music: Until the Day We Fulfill Our Duty

Heh...piece of cake.

Phew...I'm glad... Hahh... Is it over...? Hahh...

Good work, Shallie.

I...

Who are you?!

A hunter? ...My apologies if we stole your prey.

Don't worry about it.

Wait a minute... You're not Jurie, are you...?

...It's been a long time, Kortes.

Music: Dual Blades and Picture Books

What? Do you know her?

Yeah, it's been ages, though.

Ages, huh. Was there someone in the village?

No, she looked after me when I was living in Stellard.

That's right, you left the village to train a long time ago...

Your little sister is quite the cutie.

Stop that.

So, you are...?

Jurie Crotze. I'm a treasure hunter.

A treasure hunter...

I study old legends and rumors, looking for clues that lead to hidden treasure. I'm gonna strike it rich any day now.

Get rich, huh...

"Strike it rich"? How do you make money now?

Well, I take on random jobs in Stellard, but searching for lost treasures in the Dusk Sea is my real hobby. I only take on the jobs to provide for me and my sister.

I see...but that still sounds dangerous.

Well, it's how I get by. Anyway... Kortes, you haven't introduced me to your little sister.

I'm Shallistera, and we're...

She is the daughter of my clan's chief. A princess, in fact. We're not related.

Oh...

It's nice to meet you!

Same here.

Why are you here, anyway?

We're on our way to Stellard by ship. We were looking for supplies, but we haven't had much luck.

Anything useful is already gone. The expanding Dusk Sea is still swallowing up the land around Stellard, but at the very least it hasn't reached Stellard yet. You might find better materials in other places, but the expansion of the Sea has progressed a lot in this area. Why are you two here?

Oh... We stopped our ship nearby to look for supplies to get to Stellard, but if there's nothing left...

Do you need food and water?

You'd give some to us?

If you take me to Stellard with you.

That's all you want? But food is so valuable...

It's fine.

What, did you get lost or something?

What? No!

...Is that a 'yes'?

I'll be fine. I guess you don't want any food or water... See ya.

Wait, don't go! Please! Ugh, Kortes!

What? How can we rely on her if she's like this?

But we can't be picky!

But---

NO! Miss Jurie, come back!

(They get along just like siblings...) So what did you decide?

I'd be okay with you coming with us...

Well, she can be forgetful, but... Yeah, should be fine.

Alrighty then, that settles it... Let's get going.

O-Okay...!

Music: We're Both Shallie

That's...not a bad ship at all. (Much better than mine...)

Don't worry about it.

Please, make yourself at home.

Dad, isn't that enough...?

We need to get the ship moving again, Kortes, come help me with that.

Right. I'll see you later, Shallie.

And I'm not here?

If you don't mind me asking, I'd love to hear about your treasure hunting, and the city!

Interested?

Yes! This is the first time I've left my village... I don't know anything about this area or its customs.

Oh, don't stress out about that kind of thing. Really.

Are you sure...? What about things like clothes? I'm not very stylish...

Is that what you think? I like your style, honestly.

Really?

Yes. But I hadn't heard about your journey. Why did you come here?

Well...

Do you know about Lugion Village?

Kortes may have mentioned it before when he came to Stellard, but I can't say I know anything about it.

Oh... Anyway, that's where me, Kortes, and Teo come from. The Dusk Sea is expanding faster and faster, and it's coming close to Lugion. Unlike Stellard, we don't have enough water for everyone, and most of our water sources have dried up. As the daughter of the chief, I was asked to come, and Teo decided to come with me to assure my safety. Kortes followed Teo, too, and because he knew about Stellard.

I see... And what do you want to learn in Stellard?

Well, how to stop the expansion of the Dusk Sea, or if they don't know, how to protect our water sources. ...And that's why we've come here on the ship. We thought we could find a way to save the village in Stellard!

Music: Let's Calmly Talk!

I see.

Stellard is an oasis, right? I'm sure it's beyond beautiful...

An oasis, huh...

It's my responsibility, after all...!

(That attitude won't be enough, I know that) ...

The ambitious girl

Couldn't eat another bite!

That's not what the food left on your plate says. You're going to get hungry again before lunch.

I said I was full! If anything, you're the one who isn't eating enough, mom.

Well, I'm on a diet.

I'm sure you don't need to diet at your age.

I'm not giving you up quite yet, Shallie. So, are you going to go visit Raoul again today?

Yep, I'm sure the Cooperative Union will have some work.

Don't just settle for "some work". You should find something bigger.

Sure, if it were only that easy. The world isn't just gonna hand me what I want.

My daughter will be just fine. You've got a ton of personality!

I know I know, you say all the time.

Good luck!

Music: Blue Sky and Broom Daughter

Raoul just gives me random chores... I want to do a big job and earn a ton of money for once! I've got a good feeling about today, so maybe it'll really happen... I know life isn't that easy... But maybe... Just maybe... Some good will happen today!!

City of Abundant Water

Another great day! Yeah! Let's do this!

The low cieling

Music: Song of the Sand Sea Hunters

Is there anything that can be done?

Well--

Good morning!

Oh, hello, Shallie.

(Who's that with the boss?) Umm, I hope I'm not interrupting anything...

No, it's fine.

But there's someone here...

He's an official from Central sent here to check out some nearby ruins. Try to be nice, eh?

From Central?! Really?

I'm Solle Grumman.

Ummm, I'm Shallote Elminus. (Investigating ruins? That means there could be amazing treasure there!) Ah, I'm actually an alchemist, so if you need anything, just let me know!

I see. Well, thank you.

(He doesn't seem interested at all... Maybe alchemists aren't as rare back in Central. But mom was right... I still need to make an appeal!) Um... Umm...

I'm gonna ask you to do the usual work today, Shallie, can you do that for me?

Really? You just want me to pick up more trash...? Isn't there anything else?

Like what?

Isn't there a more involved job I can do? Like helping an official or something?

In that case, I guess I can't count on you to do the job. I'll give the work and money to someone else.

Oh! Well, you know, that doesn't mean I won't do it! Haha, you're such a tease...

What is with her...? Where were we...? Oh right, the issues with the water purifying equipment.

That would be the best place to start. We'll need to have a thorough investigation.

An investigation...?

I shouldn't have to tell you Central is very interested in what's happening around Stellard. Furthermore...

The little genius

Is something wrong, Shal?

Miruca!

Music: Forearm Ball

You look worried...

Not particularly... What about you? You don't come around here that often.

I'm taking a mental health day from work.

Whoa, is that gonna be okay? You're always so busy!

I get bored with the same request over and over. Today, tomorrow, yesterday... Every day, the same. Imbuing is so boring... I'm fed up with mind-numbing work.

"Mind-numbing"?! The kind of work you do is so amazing, and no matter how many times I see you, I still can't figure it out.

It's not as amazing as it looks. It's very scientific. Once you get trained to do it, it becomes much less exciting to see.

*sigh* You know, you're actually pretty lucky. Running the atelier isn't enough to get by... Which is why I'm out here doing odd jobs like this one.

Imbuing is still a new thing around here. I'm sure they'll get over it sooner or later. And that's when traditional alchemists like you will step in again. You should stop taking odd jobs and practice alchemy instead. It would help to have a customer base...

Unlike yourself, I don't have the luxury to get by like that at the moment.

Shal... I don't want to make you feel bad, but sometimes I don't think before I speak to people...

I'm sorry! Ugh, don't give me that look... It's super awesome you got to study in Central. We should plan something amazing to do one of these days! How does that sound?

Sure... Do you have any ideas?

Do you still have that weapon of yours?

Um, yes...

Then we should go outside town together! I want to go on a big adventure and make some money! We can talk about it later. Alrighty, back to work! See you!

Shal, I know you always do your best, no matter what... I just wish I could help...

(Wait a minute, maybe I can use some of this stuff...) Omigosh! Is that an ore pumpkin?! Oh, nope, just a bit of scrap metal... The junk around here isn't that bad at all! Okay, time to get to work picking it all up!

Phew, is that everything? Time to go back and report to Raoul at the Union.

-ut will we really need alchemists?

I'm sure of it. At my last posting, we had two highly-skilled alchemists that completely turned around the development of the small town they were in. Do you know the name Colseit?

Some travelers have come here from Colseit, yeah.

It was alchemy that put it on the map. I think that--

*slam*

Wonderful...

I'm finished, Raoul!

Good job, Shallie. Here's your compensation.

Whoa, it's even less than I thought...

Is that a complaint?

Not exactly... But don't you think the work I did was worth more than this?

If you want a better paycheck, you have to do better work.

I'm not sure there's much skill to trash collecting...

No way, there's plenty of ways to improve efficiency for tasks, even cleaning. You start small, but you can work your way up.

I know. I'm aiming to do something amazing in my future, and get super famous!

Really. So you have a plan?

Well, I... No. Not yet. But don't come crying to me for favors when I've struck it rich!

What a free spirit she is...

That 'free spirit' is just about her only redeeming quality.

Hmmm....

What is it?

Nothing at all.

We should get back to work. So. How about you tell me exactly what's causing problems here.

Music: Creaking

Alright...

Unending dream

... (I thought I heard Raoul talking about something... He'd prolly tell me I wouldn't understand. Though I guess I should've expected, being a beginner alchemist living in the poor part of town... Mom... Miruca.. I don't see anything in my future... Do I even have one?)

What a cheapskate! No class at all. He wouldn't hesitate to use any way possible to save a buck! ...Hahh...

Welcome home, Shallie! Wow, you look exhausted from all that work.

Hi mom. Gosh, I'm starving!

Don't forget to wash your hands.

Mom, seriously, you don't need to treat me like a little kid anymore.

Yes, well, you'll always be my little girl.

Quit it!

Alright, alright. I'll get you something to eat. You can lie down for a bit.

Okaaaay.

That song is beyond lame... (Though I like to make my own songs, too...)

Music: Orgel of Youth

"Something amazing", eh? I ended up telling both Raoul AND Miruca that one. (Because of Miruca's experience at Central, she knows a lot about the latest Imbuing techniques. All I have is my self-taught alchemy and personal motivation... What can I do to help myself?

Ugh, what a drag. (I don't care what I end up doing as long as it isn't just trash duty. I want to travel and see the world! I want to do something in my own style that gets me recognized... Mom would be so proud!) What could I do that would make me stand out in a crowd...?

...Shallie, I'll always be proud of you...

Music: Asymmetry

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 6, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

These battle systems are getting more and more Mana Khemia-esque. The animations look way better than in the previous titles.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I've been waiting for this one. I had a lot of fun with Shallie and I'm excited to see your take on it. There are definitely some places where I had issues with the game that'll probably come up later, but between the setting, battle system and soundtrack it was a treat to go through.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hey, always good to see the bureaucracy sending experienced people around to get poo poo done.

Given this game, though, I wonder how Colseit is doing on the Princess of Flowers front.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I noticed the two Shallies have something on the side of their text boxes. Is that there to differentiate them?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
This game is pretty awesome and at some point I need to kick up my 'Stera run.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I noticed the two Shallies have something on the side of their text boxes. Is that there to differentiate them?

Yeah, that little icon just indicates which protagonist you've chosen. Only your chosen character will have that icon, the other Shallie just has a generic text box.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part II: The Calamitous Side of the Promised Meeting

Music: We'll Continue

Fateful encounters

You're not finished yet?

I'm sorry, I've always been a slow eater.

Well yeah, especially if all you're eating is meat.

Hey, what's wrong with liking meat?!

Nothing. I like meat, too.

Jurie!

Make sure you're finished eating by the time we get to Stellard.

We're finally reaching Stellard.

Yep. Just don't forget that the real work starts when we reach Stellard. Don't forget why we've come this far. It might be a long time before we can go back to Lugion.

I know that, but Jurie said she'll introduce us to someone who can help us when we get there. That means we'll be okay, right?

Shallie. Stellard is a lot different from Lugion. You have to be aware of the people around you, not everyone is nice. Don't ever let your guard down.

You worry too much. Do you really think I'm that helpless?

We've got a situation!

What's going on, dad?

It's a Sand Dragon!

Sand... What??

A Sand Dragon, the largest dragons that inhabit the sea.

After we've come so far! Why now?

No time to talk, we have to get away from this!

Whoa! Full speed ahead!

Is that...Stellard? But, at this speed...

Kortes! We're going too fast, we need to reduce speed!

Dammit! The controls aren't working!

What?!

Shallie, get down!

Ah!

Prepare for impact! Hang on to something!

I...Is everyone okay?

I think so...

I'm alright.

So, what should we do now?

We should probably head to the Cooperative Union building and explain this to Raoul, the man in charge of the Union. I'll have to go along to make sure he believes you.

(Oh no...)

We should hurry before the crowd gathers.

Miss, I'll stay behind and try to keep everyone calm. I'll also see if anything happened to the ship that needs repairs.

Thanks Teo. Okay, let's go.

All washed up

Whose ship is this? Is this an attack against Stellard?! Where is the owner of this ship?! I demand you show yourself, NOW! You're a disturber of the peace...!

(Whoa, Perriend is maaaad...) That's not that surprising considering they crashed in here at top speed...

Sorry, but, who're you?

The name's Gerard Perriend. I run the Corporation in this city... How do you not know that?

And I'm his secretary, Linca. Are you the owner of this ship?

No. The owner has gone to report this incident to the person responsible in town...

What do you mean, "the person responsible"?! Then why didn't they come to me?!

(That sure would make him mad. The old man sure has some guts. Maybe he's not from around here? His clothes don't look familiar... But why would the people on the ship know where to go to report this? If they didn't see Perriend, that means... They went to see Raoul?) Oh right! I need to go see Raoul, too!

A dream deferred

It was an accident. It can't be helped.

We must deal with this quickly. The harbor is in utter chaos!

Sorry about the trouble.

You'll have to write a report to submit to Central afterwards, I'm afraid. I'll have talks with Central about materials for the harbor... Though I don't have much hope for that.

Thanks. Sorry about this.

So, um, the reason we came to Stellard is...

Could you tell me later, maybe?

Huh? But...

He means we don't have time to deal with your problems right now. There are a lot of important things that need attention, including the harbor repairs.

But we're...!

Shallie, stop. Save it for later.

You guys...

It would help if you did.

Alright then.

What about her?

Oh, nothing. We should go check out the harbor and help the injured right away!

What to do

(Hahh... They didn't even listen...)

Shallie, I know how you feel, but you have to understand their position, too.

I...I know, but they still should have listened.

While we don't have a lot of time, there's no need to--

I can't believe this happens and they don't explain anything to the Corporation... What is the Union doing?!

Raoul is checking out the damage to the harbor with the official from Central. They're also going to ask the owner of the Sand Ship some questions.

Investigating the harbor isn't going to fix it. What's the point?

We need to assess the damage and get an idea what supplies we need to request from Central.

Central won't do anything for us! As usual! They just don't get it. Like I said, they just... Act like children!

You're spitting again.

Ah, sorry.

I'd hope not! And why do I have to go to the Union, of all places?

Ah, your hair...

Oh, right...

That old guy sure made a racket.

The woman accompanying him was very pretty though.

You think so?

Yeah, she seemed like a socialite from the city. Jurie's pretty as well, but...

All I saw was the old man. I totally missed the woman...

Well we was pretty hard to ignore. He seemed pretty pissed.

No sense in dwelling about it.

Yeah but... ("Sand Ship"... Did they OUR ship...?)

Kortes, you really should pay more attention to your surroundings. I can't believe Shallie has better sense than you do.

What's with that? Now just--

Ugh, anyway. What about that man, Jurie?

He's...well, you'll probably be meeting him soon. Just be careful around him, he has a really short temper.

(Everyone from the city is...)

Anyway, what are you two going to do now? There's definitely no use in talking to him when he gets in these moods.

Well, it wouldn't hurt to check on the ship. The crowd should have disappeared by now at least.

There's nothing really I can do to help you with that, so would you mind if I went back to the Union to try and calm things down?

That would be a great help!

Alright, see you later. Let's go Shallie.

One big chance

Single file, please...

(Wow, there could easily be nothing here for me today.)

No pushing!

Hey, listen up! You, over there! Yeah, you guys, you're blocking the path! And you...

Raoul!

Oh, Shallie! You got here just in time!

Huh? In time for what?

As you can see, it's a bit of a mess here today... I really could use the help!

Huh? But yesterday you said that--

I know, I know, but that was before the ship crashed into the harbor. I'm really short-handed today in dealing with this crowd.

I suppose it IS pretty crowded.

Yes it is. So what do you say? Can I count on you?

Of course I'll help! (Is it truly time to show my skills? Someone actually believes in me?!) What do you need me to do??

I need you to run the survey outside, I can't do it today.

Got it! I'll do a great job!

Alright, time for my first adventure!

Music: Sandy Sea -Shallote-

The long road forward

Welcome back. How did it go?

Not well. How's the ship?

Doing surprisingly well. Another ship docked in the harbor absorbed most of the impact.

Is the other ship alright?

Unfortunately not...

Oh no!

On the bright side, thanks to that, the town didn't suffer as much damage. How long will repairs for the ship take?

I'm double-checking the integrity of the individual parts, but the repairs shouldn't take long at all.

Oh good!

So what happened in Stellard?

Um...

OH! I had no idea, I'm so sorry, miss! Please, feel free to get some rest.

I'm sorry. And thank you.

I feel like I'm only just causing trouble for everyone. I'm a failure at representing the clan. (Their attitudes today made them seem super hard to talk to... I'll need to work hard. I can't get discouraged yet! With every passing moment the water in the village is disappearing. Just wait a little longer father! Everyone!)

Great expectations

Alright, time to get to work! If Raoul is happy with my work, maybe I'll get a bigger job next time...! Hehehe! Hey now, not the time for that!

Music: Seeing Off the Daytime Calm

What's first...? Oh yeah! Gathering materials!

Ugh! Too many sheep!

Hm, the ingredients around here aren't very high quality, but survey complete! Let's head back now.

Rescue from the sky

Eeeeeek!! Wait! Stop! I'm not a threat! Can't we just talk this out?!

What are you doing?

T-the sheep...! The sheep!

They're just sheep... Eh, whatever...

Huh?

Pay attention, and act quickly! Here we go!

Hold on, 'cause I won't catch you if you fall!

Okay...! (Wow, this is incredible! I'm flying through the air! Is this person some sort of insane alchemist?) Woahhhhhh!

Hey, don't grab me like that! It tickles!

I can't help it!

Ahh! Don't pull on my clothes!

I told you I can't help it!!

Argh!! Just let me go, then!

No way! Are you crazy?! I'll fall!

I don't care! Just hang down from the broom or something!

What?!

We'll be in town soon! Just hang on and--ah!!

Ahhhh!!

Shallie, are you awake?

Kortes...? Yes, I'm awake.

Jurie came by a little while ago. She said it would be a good idea to stop by the Union and explain our situation. Apparently the panic over our ship crashing into the harbor has calmed down a little.

Oh, that's great! Then...

Don't get ahead of yourself. We don't know if they'll even agree to help.

I know, but... We have to do everything we can!

Mutual benefit

Yes. And since Stellard has plenty of water, we thought we might find a way to save our village here.

I understand. Unfortunately, this is not the place that can help you.

What?

It's true, many people have come here from dried up areas, making it a bit of an oasis sanctuary...for now.

Then...?

..."For now" being the point.

What do you mean?

...The water here is starting to dry up as well. We're trying to fix it before it's an issue, but it's not going well. We have our own problems here. I don't think you'll find much help.

No way...!

I know the problem your village is facing is a big deal... But I'm responsible for this town. I need to help it first. I'm sorry.

What will I tell everyone...?

I wouldn't expect people to up and help you just because you asked. You're lucky if they even listen.

I understand the situation here and and why you won't help, but you don't have to be rude about it.

Well, I have a proposition for you. Would you be willing to work for the city?

Huh?

If you lend your strength to the city, it will lend its strength to you.

Really?

The Union is about reciprocal aid. It's like a contract... They won't fail to hold up their end of the deal.

Yeah, right... No one follows through with their promises around here.

If that's what you want to believe, I believe our conversation ends here. However, it's not going to get your any closer to saving your village, correct?

Ergh... What if we're wasting our time? Can you guarantee we're not doing that?

Well, I--

I'll do it! I'll do anything for the village... Please...

Shallie!?

Then we have a deal. Raoul, do you agree?

Yes. Welcome to Stellard, Shallie...

Before we start working for Stellard, I'd like to know more about how this town is managed.

Most of the commerce and governing in Stellard are run by the "Cooperative Union" and the "Corporation". The "Corporation" controls the water source here, essentially making them the government. Meanwhile...

The "Cooperative Union" is more autonomous.

An autonomous organization? As in, you're not officially recognized? That's pretty sketchy.

This town isn't just populated with the wealthy, there are just as many lower class, and instigators, for that matter. We're rule makers and problem solvers, aiming to make this town a better place for everyone.

Making the town a better place to live...

Also, Central is currently cooperating with the Union, which is why I've been dispatched here.

Why would Central side with the unofficial group instead of the Corporation?

The Corporation is worried about Central's influence. They think they'll lose power if Central moves in.

That's quite the misunderstanding at the moment. Officials such as myself don't have much real power. Besides, we've got a much more important task to do.

What is it?

Investigating and researching ancient relics from around the world... And, the Dusk.

Dusk?

He's saying that your village isn't the only place having problems. The Dusk is threatening to consume the entire world. Your village and Stellard are no exceptions.

Stellard is an intriguing area, which is why I'm investigating both the cause and solution to the Dusk here. That's the real reason I'm here.

I'll do anything to protect Stellard... I'll work with anyone to ensure that. Thus the partnership with Central.

If only it were that easy. The issue is that the environmental toll the Dusk has taken is different in each area, and the influence of the Dusk exists in different ways. It's hard to find a single cause when the Dusk seems to be affecting the environment around the world. But, that is why surveys are such important information. In fact, I'd love your cooperation with the environmental survey we'll be conducting soon.

I have faith in you. You've got your own crisis back home to keep the fire lit under you!

Is it normal for the Union to take advantage of other people's weaknesses like this?

We've all got weaknesses. Let me remind you, this is for mutual benefit. If your work is satisfactory, this town will do everything in its power to help your village.

And don't you forget it.

Raoul is a man of his word. I assure you we won't forget about our end of the deal.

The survey itself may be simple, but traveling to distant lands is difficult.

Which is why we've found someone to help you out... Come on in.

Hey, I'm here to help.

Jurie?!

Out of everyone...

We'll have fun.

I'd like you to start the survey of the Stellard area here - in the eastern edge of the Fertile Sea. It should be a simple task, especially with Jurie assisting you. Remember to complete the report and submit it to me when you're finished.

Come on Shallie. Let's go.

Huh...? Oh, yes!

Jurie, welcome...! Again...

Thanks...

So, uh...why did you decide to come with us?

This is another one of those "mutual benefits" deals.

Sounds like you're up to something to me.

Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith, Kortes.

Ugh... Please tell me you haven't let your skills fade...?

Hey, I'M the one who taught YOU how to sail!

You DID? Then it's thanks to you we arrived at Stellard safely, Jurie.

Though she hit some trouble getting back herself...

Hey, I didn't have any issues!

She's not coming.

Oh right, I forgot she was studying in Central.

Actually, she's back in town now.

Then why...? ...

Maybe we shouldn't ask, but... Miruca? Who's that?

She's my little sister.

Your little sister, huh? Then she must be super cute...

No, she's super EXTRA cute.

...Wha?

We're headed to a place called the "Fertile Sea". Shallie, get your things together.

Oh, right.

Music: Sandy Sea -Shallistera-

I'm not that experienced in surveying, so I'll just help you two deal with any monsters we encounter.

What? I thought you worked for the Union.

Yeah, but there's a variety of jobs the Union deals with. I'm much better with monster exterminating requests. Shallie there seems like a natural in handling surveying requests.

Shelbani Wheat, Water...ugh, the quality isn't very good, Anti-Bug Grass, Phlogiston, Red Clay, and Dusk Sea Sand... That should be all the materials. Now, what about the monsters...?

We should keep up with her better from now on.

Music: Stella -Part 1

Wow... Jurie, you're amazing!

At least I'm working with one smart person.

Let's just take care of the other monsters around here to complete the survey.

Possiblities

Yep.

It's amazing...

What is?

The world is a pretty big place. There're a lot of mysteries out there.

Yeah...

You okay, Shallie?

She'll get used to it. I was the same way in the beginning, too.

Really?

Your alchemy is like that.

What does a survey have to do with alchemy?

Alchemy has the power to create things beyond imagination. One day you'll realize that power... But know that it might also frighten you. I don't have any talent when it comes to alchemy, I started to feel that way after watching my little sister.

The power to create something beyond anyone's imagination...

Jurie...

We should get back, Solle is probably waiting for us.

The power of alchemy...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dollars to doughnuts the Dusk is related to us shutting down Yggdrasil in the first game.
Linca is getting further and further into desk jobs though :(

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
It's not the same Linca. The Linca from the previous two games is still in Colseit.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sylphid posted:

It's not the same Linca. The Linca from the previous two games is still in Colseit.

...Oh yeeeaaaahhhh she has those identical sisters doesn't she?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Speaking of artbooks, it's kind of a shame that the Dusk trilogy's illustrator hasn't done much other work, just a handful of other projects that either aren't that good or don't resemble her designs in the actual work.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
:neckbeard: gently caress yeah, new Atelier LP! I can't wait to see how this one develops.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Nice! I love how you do these games. I'm glad I caught this one early.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is this materials survey actually taking a day, since we're not on a timeclock?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Glazius posted:

Is this materials survey actually taking a day, since we're not on a timeclock?

Measuring how long something is in this game is really hard without a time reference (not that the other games particularly made sense time-wise), but for the update itself I'm going to say it took place over a few hours and when Stera and Lotte get home, they called it a day.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I swear I'm not gonna be that rear end in a top hat again, but I just wanted to let you know that your music links are stuck in a redirect loop, at least for me. It starts happening at "Sandy Sea -Shalotte-".

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part III: The Dangerous Side of the Lush Archipelago

The report is complete, but I don't know if Solle will be with it. We'll just have to submit it and see.

Mr. Solle, here's my report on the Fertile Sea.

That quickly? Let me take a close look...

The little master

Music: Baby Bird -Part 3-

Ugh, my clothes are all stretched out!

Oooh, thank you so much! You saved me!

Ahah, ah. Don't worry about it. I was just passing by...

That was totally amazing! I've never seen a flying broom!

That's nothing, really.

So cool! What're the techniques you use to fly like that?

Uhh...

Master! Please, make me your apprentice!

Huh? ...Apprentice!?

I'm kind of an alchemist, but my skill is pretty low... I'm trying to get better!

As a magician, I can't really do anything for you...

Are you saying I have no talent with alchemy...?

What? No! That's not what I'm trying to say...

Then please, master! I'll do anything!

Master...

You're the only person I can count on...!

The only person... Hehehe... Hehe... This is just like back then... But I'm not really sure if...

...Is that a no?

Really!? Awesome! Finally, my time to shine!

Let me show you some real magic. Hehe.

I'm Wilbell. I wander the land searching for great power.

Wander the land? Wow... That sounds so cool...

What about you?

I'm Shallote Elminus! I'm a beginner alchemist here in town.

...Shallote, huh.

You can call me Shallie!

Ok Shallie, I've got some errands to run, so I'll see you again some other time.

What? No training or anything?

You won't retain anything if you start training while you're so amped up. Calm down a little...

Okay...! Sorry! See you soon, Master Wilbell!

Yeah, see ya later...!

(Hm, she's just like her. I wonder what she's doing now...?)

Phew...that was scary! Time to put everything back into the Container and get something to eat!

A natural adventurer

Um...

Thank you. Your report is indeed interesting. ...A much better report than I was expecting, actually. I didn't expect this much out of you.

Uh, thank you...?

Not bad, Shallie. It's not often for a guy like Solle to compliment someone.

Uh huh, sure... You're just saying that so we'll work harder, aren't you?

Don't be so suspicious. You really did do a good job. I'd love to work with you more in the future...

...Really?

Shallistera and Kortes, is it? You both seem to have some skill in this kind of work.

Skill, huh... That means we'll be paid, right?

Of course. The investigation will go much smoother with you helping. The Union appreciates your continued support.

Of course.

Central will also conduct its own detailed investigation. A capable agent will be sent to lend you their support.

A capable agent?

Oh... I see... Thank you. (Hmm, the way he said that sounded off...)

Oh, before you go, one more thing. Come in, everyone.

I'm really looking forward to working with everyone.

Give shiny. After finished.

We work.

Awww, they're so cute!

In the future, please give me a detailed list of all the search equipment you take outside of town. As long as you do so, I can have the homunculi here replace anything we use.

Anything?!

That's correct. The homunculi are incredible workers, and there's that can be made with alchemy that the homunculi cannot reproduce. Isn't that correct?

Yes. We work. Hard.

Can do anything.

Incredible!

We don't have any more work today. Please get some rest and we should have more work tomorrow.

Of course! Thank you very much!

The reliable girl

Oh, Shallie. Excellent job, you really saved me there.

It was easy!

Really? That's good news at least. You can go home for today.

Uuhmm, there was something I wanted to ask, chief...

...Huh? Chief?

Please, give me more work to do! I want to try everything!

You can't just come out and say it like that... I don't really have anything for you to do...

This might be the perfect chance...

For what?

If we're going to require more surveys, it would help to have more personnel. I didn't see any issues with her work today... Shallie, was it?

Yes!

Maybe we can start by giving her some easier jobs.

That sounds fantastic!

Are you serious?

Do you even have to ask?

Well, it is YOU we're talking about.

I don't know... What are your thoughts, Solle?

We can't really keep talking with her around... Just agree so she'll go home, okay?

Oh... I get it.

You're just trying to get rid of me?!

Well if Solle says it's a good idea, I suppose I should try to find you more work.

Really?! Ohmigosh! Thank you so much, Raoul! And uh...Solle!

Don't worry about it. Though you should be prepared for your work to e strictly assessed.

Come find me when you want work. I'll find something for you.

Okay!

Make sure your reports are more detailed in the future, though.

Oh no, was here something wrong with my report?

Not exactly wrong, but if you want better pay for these kinds of jobs, it would help to gather additional information.

Not to mention, you can find more rare materials to help with your alchemy. It's beneficial for both of us.

Oh, I see... Gotcha!

Also, I've brought some more homunculi to help with my work here. They'll be able to make any items for your work outside town. As long as you submit a detailed investigation report before you leave town, I can have them supply you with any items you use a lot outside of town.

That sounds great! Thanks Solle!

Crossing paths

Solle's hard to talk to, he's actually a super nice guy. (I should tell mom!)

Well at least he appreciates our work... Let's just keep this up, Shallie.

Yeah, you're right...

(Did... Someone just say my name?)

Shallie!

Miruca! (Who was that I saw just now? Wait a minute... Weren't the people who were just here wearing similar clothes to that old guy on the ship...?)

That was weird, I thought I heard someone calling my name...

It's probably just your imagination.

(...Was that girl's name Shallie, too? She looked like a local... So full of energy!)

Well, anyway, we should get back to the ship. We need to talk to Teo about what we do next.

Right.

A big step forward

Nothing. I just thought I'd visit.

Oh, hmm... That's weird, you never stop by for no reason...

Are you telling me I need a reason to come by your house?

Uh, no! That's not what I meant, but you're welcome to come today! I have news.

News?

Ah, Shallie, welcome home.

Miruca is here to visit, too.

Hello, Miruca! It's been a while.

Hello. So, what was this "news"?

News...?

You're getting to the business already? Seriously?!

Quit stalling and say it already!

You want to know that badly? Well, hmm, what should I do...

...I'm leaving.

W-Wait a second! I'll say it, I'll say it, sheesh. Aheh... Well...

Well, a lot of things happened today, but I finally got some real work! Raoul asked me to perform a survey outside in the Lush Valley, so I went and did it! I actually met an amazing alchemist, too!

An amazing alchemist...?

Yeah! Her broom flew and everything, and she flew me back to Stellard! And when we got back to Stellard, I asked her to be my master, and she said yes! Now I can learn great new recipes and make more incredible things.

Shal, I'm not sure that was alchemy...

Anyway! Raoul said that in the future, I'll start getting better jobs and making a lot of money!

That's great, Shallie! Now you can work hard to become Raoul's second in command!

Haha... Ah, I don't think that's going to happen...

It's okay, you can work 24 hours a day! You'll be up there before you know it!

You think so?

Uh, no. She'd die at that rate.

But I am really happy about getting more work.

It's because of all the effort you've been putting in this whole time.

That's great, Shal. Also. If you're ever having trouble with work, let me know.

Is that really okay?

Yep, I'm sure you'll need help if you start getting more work.

Thank you, Miruca.

Also... I'm curious about this "master".

Oh, that's... Nothing you need to worry about.

I can be concerned if I want, it doesn't have anything to do with you.

Huh??

Haha, Miruca, you're always so blunt.

...Anyway, let me know when you're going out of town. See you.

What? You're leaving already?

Yes. Good-bye.

Why did she even come here?

Hehe, Miruca's a good friend.

Huh?

Shallote.

Yeah?

Mom?

I want you to find what you really want to do with your life...

Okay...!

Music: Listen Here!

Music: Humming in the Atelier

Shallote, why don't you get some sleep? It sounds like you've had a long day...

Not yet! I have to tell my master about this! I'll be back!

Moving forward

Oh, welcome back!

Sorry about asking you to look after the ship.

No need to worry. By the way, how did the negotiations go today?

Well, it seems we'll be here for a while at least. The city is run by two groups: the Cooperative Union, and the Corporation. The man we spoke to at the Union said that he would be able to help us with the water problem in Lugion if we helped them with the water issues in Stellard.

It's possible that the issues in Stellard are connected with the water problem in Lugion. So that's why we're thinking of staying and helping with the investigations for a bit.

Is that so... Well, you have managed to get some results. That's great!

I'm sorry that we're helping another town when our own is in danger...

In order to cooperate, you must first earn trust, miss. If you show them sympathy and support, they will repay the favor.

You're right...

We're still going to need to get stronger if we want to keep this up. If we don't, we'll eventually run into trouble in more distant areas. I really should be training more...

Yeah, I should be studying alchemy more, too... So I can help everyone.

Are there really that many places to investigate around here?

I'm pretty sure Raoul and Jurie are familiar with that area. We should ask them.

I can train myself in alchemy and fighting as we investigate, in order to help the people in town! It might be a while before we can help the village, but we can only do this one step at a time.

We'll be helping, too, miss, so you shouldn't worry about a thing.

Just do whatever you can, Shallie.

Okay... Thank you. Both of you.

We should accept more requests from the Union to get started.

Burning spirit

Hey Shallie, what's up?

I have something to tell you... The official from Central says he has some work for me...!

Official? Oh, you mean Solle.

You know him? As I'd from my master!

Uh, kinda... Anyway, why are you telling me about this?

Until now, I just kind of went through life without a goal or purpose... But I wanted to start thinking about that kind of thing, so that's why I wanted to talk to you.

Oh, I see... It is good to have a goal, that's true...

Do YOU have any goals, Master Wilbell?

...What?

As I'd expect! You've become a master, but you still strive for improvement... That's amazing!

What?! You know, I only became your "Master" because you were literally begging me for it...

Well, I... First I want to make some actual money... That way my mom can actually relax...

It's good to care for your aging parents, but do you really have the skills to command that much money?

That's why I became your apprentice, so I can learn more alchemy!

Oh, that's right... Heh... Just do your best and try not to overthink it! Try making a lot of different things. That's how you'll eventually get better at alchemy.

Eventually... Really?

Don't worry, I'll help you however I can!

Hehee, I knew I could count on you. But...

What?

(Does she really know how to do alchemy? She talks like she does, but...) Oh uh, nothing. It's nothing. (What do I want to do after making so much money...?) Oh, don't worry about it! Anyway, can we go out of town now?!

Um, no. I just arrived in this town, so I have some things I need to take care of. Don't worry! I can help you with your adventures soon.

Yes! Thank you master! I should get to work!

Merchant far from home

(Was there a shop here before?)

Oh, miss! Miss! You must know what you like if you're checking out my shop.

Not... Particularly...

Come now, just take a look!

I uh... Ahh!!

You're asking how I'm doing? Why, thank you!

Wha--! But I never...

Never mind! Listen to my story of why I became a merchant! I've come a long way from home as a travelling merchant so I can support my brothers and sisters...

Oh dear... I'm sorry!

Don't worry! I'm glad you took the time to stop by and check out my shop!

(She seems like she works really hard...) Oh, and uh, I'm an alchemist, so if you ever have anything that is useful in alchemy...

Ohh! An alchemist, you say? Well no wonder you're so gorgeous! My shop is known for carrying only the best, rarest items.

Come, come! Check out my items!

Uh...maybe later! I've got a lot to do!

Hey Shallie. Here are the job postings for today.

Hm, all of these items and monsters can be found in the Fertile Sea. I'm sure can do a lot. Oh, it looks like we already have a few Phlogiston for the delivery.

Great! Well, you can turn that in right now if you want.

Sure! Let's see, we need to go outside for...

These three jobs! Alright, I'll see you later.

Sure. Do your best out there.

It's nice to know things have calmed down, but... Can we really earn the trust of the people here?

As long as you keep trying, I know you can.

Alright, let's get to work.

What kind of creature was this?!

I have no idea, but it might even be a dragon's bones. Dragons are much rarer today, but you'll still find a few of them. A dragon as big as this, though...

Ugh, I don't want to think about it. Anyway, when we finish here we should probably head back and report the completed jobs. Plus, we need more supplies for future investigations.

The water quality isn't good...do you think we could take some water from the town fountain?

It should be okay with Raoul, as long as we don't take a lot. Do you know where Stellard plaza is?

Um, no, I don't think so.

Okay, I'll show you the way.

The fountain is just ahead.

Wow...it's beautiful.

This is why everyone is working hard for Stellard. To protect this water and this city.

And me and Kortes need to work hard to bring this to Lugion.

Well, I'm also here to protect Shallie, but you're right. This might be our last chance to save Lugion.

Well, that should be enough for now. I need to get started on my alchemy for the day.

I have some...things to take care of, too. See you two later.

Things? Ah, whatever. Let's head back.

So this is what dad was talking about with learning more complex alchemy... I need to keep improving my skills to get better effects, too. Well, all I can is keep learning.

Music: Explanation!

Hm... Maybe I can find some alchemy books in town. I still don't know to make better items. Maybe that girl has some?

Shal, are you sure you want to come this far out?

Are you kidding?! This is still so close to Stellard! We need to gather ingredients and fight monsters, too!

I guess, but still, don't push yourself.

Don't worry!

Music: Sweep! -1-

Miruca, what's that weapon of yours called?

I call it a pilebunker. It's based on a design I worked on in Central. It fires nails out extremely quickly, I can also increase the output all at once to attack at close range, too.

Wow... That's amazing! How do you---

Ahhh! Miruca!

Don't worry about me. Just focus on the enemy.

I had no idea the valley was so big... And what are those bones?

Maybe a Sand Dragon? I have no idea.

Let's just hurry up here... They kind of give me the creeps.

It looks like someone has been through here recently.

Yeah, there's not many materials. Let's split up and find what we can.

Wow, great job!

At least I can be of help to you on your adventures.

Oh, she has three books for sale. Can I have Cooking for Beginners?

Of course! Excellent choice! I also have Craftswork for Beginnners, too! Only 80 Cole!

Only 80...? Okay, I'll take it!

Shallie, I accepted some jobs for materials in a forest south of here. You interested in going along with me?

Sure! Let me just get Kortes!

Music: Sandy Sea -Vegetation-

Wolves... I guess they can't all be exciting.

Wow, not bad Shallie.

That was easier than I thought it would be...

I...think we should avoid that monster, though. We've completed all of our work here, anyway.

Agreed...

Shallie? Why are you staring at your arm? Do you feel bigger or something?

Not even close!! I just... Thought my muscles felt stronger... People made fun of me for being small and weak... But I can change too!

Hmm... They when don't you show me how strong you are? Go ahead, try and knock me down. You better get ready, because I'll try to knock you down, too.

Knock you down? But I--

Here I come! Ya!

What?! Ouch...!

Sorry, sorry. But you still have a long way to go. If you get too strong, you won't need me anymore... I think it's just right that you're a bit weak. Sorry, but I have to help dad out with the engine. I'll see you later.

A bit weak...? Hahh... I need to work harder. Hm...I should focus on alchemy for now.

Music: Memorize!

An item for synthesis, and...

And a salve for adventures in the future...

Cleaning up the trash, cleaning up the trash, I can do it in a flash. Hm hm hm. Well, at least I can focus on some alchemy after I finish up this job.

Music: Results Celebration!

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 1, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh come on Wilbell, you don't know anything about alchemy!
Granted neither does Shallie, but don't take advantage of the poor girl.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do they do interesting things with the water you can pull from town as the plot advances? Like, it gets better quality or different properties?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part IV: The Vanished Side of the Past World

Back and forth

Hey, Shallie. Thanks for coming.

How's the own?

Not well. Though it has nothing to do with you crashing your ship into the harbor.

Don't worry about it. It's time for the Union to show its true strength.

We're so sorry...

I don't mean to sound rude, but... Can I ask you to repair our ship, too?

That would be impossible at this time.

Oh... I see...

Simply put, the resources required to repair your ship are not in the Union's budget. We have no room to accomodate your request, but let me think... Have you tried the Perriend Corporation yet? They go by the "Corporation" for short.

The Perriend Corporation?

Like I mentioned before, they have quite the influence in the city. It may be hard to win their trust, but it wouldn't hurt to introduce yourselves.

There's no need to send him over there...

Our goal is to solve problems in this city, and their goal is to solve problems in their village. It doesn't matter if they work with the Union or Corporation as long as the situation is resolved.

Solle...

Wow, you're such a softie.

Either way, if you end up making a connection with Gerard Perriend, you'll have a much easier time here.

Will the people be more accepting of us?

I guess you could put it that way...

I understand. We'll try going to the Corporation now!

Good luck.

...Thank you, Solle.

Just doing my job.

Do you really expect them to get Perriend's support?

No. Not right away, at least. He's easier to get along with than he first seems, but he's still very protective of the Corporation's influence over Stellard. He won't be easy to persuade into anything that he doesn't think will make him a profit, or benefit Stellard. Them crashing their ship into the city is not going to help them, either.

Still, it could be that Shallie and her friends could end up being a bridge between the Union and Corporation.

If only we had the time to worry about things like that. Do you have the budget numbers for the harbor repair?

Right here.

Let's see...

Butting heads

Are you sure this is the way?

When we went to the fountain, I saw the sign on the building. It's just past this house.

Music: Spitting Chairman

Yes?

(Oh, this person looks familiar to me... Maybe from town...?)

Do you have business here?

Um, we're here to meet Mr. Gerard Perriend...

The chairman? ...What do you need?

We've come from Lugion Village. Lately, the water has begun drying up, so we came here to find a way to save the village. We came from across the Dusk Sea...

You crossed the sea? So you're the young lady responsible for that ship?

Y-yes! Are you... Mr. Perriend?

Yes, indeed. I'm Gerard Perriend. I represent the Perriend Corporation.

I'm Shallistera Argo, and I've come from Lugion Village, across the Dusk Sea...

I know that already. Why did you come here?

Uh, well...

We were told we should really come and talk to you, since we're here in town.

And you are?

...Kortes Argo. I'm like...a relative of Shallistera.

...What do you mean "like" a relative?

Everyone in our clan shares the same last name. We're all family, though we may not be blood related.

Oh...

...You heard about that, huh...

Hah, I practically run this city on my own. Of course I would know.

We're so sorry it took this long to introduce ourselves, Perriend. We were attacked, and the damage...

I don't care about your journey. Your ship damaged this city... That is all I care about.

We came here to find help! But we've caused so much trouble instead... I don't know what to do... Nobody from the city will listen to us. I know it's our fault, but...

Linca!

Yes.

I'm leaving the rest to you. I have things to take care of.

Understood.

W-wait!

He's gone... This was a total waste of time.

Shallistera, was it? I'm Linca, Mr. Perriend's secretary.

Linca?

We already know what you're going to ask of us.

What?

So the old man already knew we were going to come here?

In the meantime, why don't you try working for the people in this city? It would help you to learn about this city in the long run.

Know the city?

What are you good at? I could find you some appropriate jobs...

Um, I'm an alchemist. I'm still not the best, but is there anything I can do to help?

An alchemist, huh? In that case, there are a few jobs requested from the Corporation. Are you interested?

Yes! Of course!

Very well. I'll forward the job requests to the Union, and you can accept them there.

The jobs we've done so far are pretty small jobs, gathering materials from near Stellard. I really want to do more work so we can prove ourselves!

I see... Well, there is an outstanding request to survey some ruins to the north.

Why is it outstanding? There are a lot of adventurers that work in and around Stellard, one of them should have been able to do it by now.

Well, these ruins in particular are known to be extremely dangerous and toxic. If you do accept this job, please be very careful.

Well, what do you think, Shallie?

I think we should try it. If we can jobs like this, we can definitely gather better materials and help the city even more.

Alright then, we'll accept it.

Very good. Please turn your survey report in to the Union. Also, here at the Corporation we sell a wide variety of materials. Some of them may be good for alchemy. Are you interested in purchasing any?

Of course!

I understand. Well, if that's all you need...

Yes! Thank you very much.

Thanks. At least not everyone from the Corporation is like Perriend.

The Chairman can be difficult, but he's not as bad as he seems at first. If you can work hard for the city, I'm sure he'll come around.

I see... Well, thanks again, Ms. Linca.

Whew...

Are you okay, Shallie?

Yes... Time to give it our best shot.

Yeah.

We should get ready.

Yes.

A man obsessed

You're so hard-working today.

Yep! There's still so much I don't know, even about beginner alchemy. Master Wilbell did a great job getting me started, but I have to learn by myself.

That's wonderful, Shallie. Oh? It sounds like someone is as the door.

Al is here!

Hey!

Al? What's up?

I have something to ask. I snuck out when my father wasn't looking.

Again?! You're the heir to a serious business, you need to focus on studying more.

Ugh, you sound like Linca when you say that...

So what was your question?

Honestly...

Shh!! Not so loud!

I can't help it! You've always been obsessed with automatons. You've never found them before...

Ah, but I have a new book here, and it says the ruins to the north are where you can find automatons everywhere! This was written by a well-known explorer, which is why I'm sure the information is true.

Really? This all sounds a little fishy.

No way! He was a great explorer!

What's his name?

Who the heck is that? I've never heard of him. Sorry, I'm not that interested...

Please! I wanted to go myself, but Linca always finds me...

But... Ruins are dangerous!

Shallie... I'll pay you well!

PAY me? ...Well, I don't know...

Okay, well, how about i throw in a meal from our chef?

That's what I'm talking about! How generous of you!

Spared no expense! Okay, I'm counting on you! Make sure to bring back all the automatons you can find! I'm sure there's hundreds there!

I'm not sure about hundreds, but...are you sure Perriend will be okay with bringing back so many automatons? He's never seemed interested in them.

Well, I have plenty of room for them, don't worry.

Okay... Hey Albert, why do you like automatons so much, anyway?

I wish I could explain, Shallote, but there's simply no time to waste! Some other explorer might take them before you get to the ruins, so you should get going soon! Farewell!

Waiiit a second... Is this really okay?? ...I feel like his obvious disregard for spending could be a serious issue. But I'm getting a reward, so I don't have a reason to say no!

We're headed to the Baskes Region. It's on the map, but relatively little is known about the wildlife or species that live there. Surveying this area would definitely be good for improving your reputation, Shallie.

I hope we'll be okay...

Wow, the branch growth in this area is incredible... No wonder how it's hard to survey this area.

Alright, I think I see a way past the forest through here. Follow me.

Encounter in the night

Music: Shining Zoospore

The Land of the Dead. Where fungi gather to grow into mushrooms, and those merge to become even bigger... That's how the mushrooms grow here.

So like... A sea of mushrooms.

Yep. Not many people come here.

...I'm not sure about that.

Huh?

Let's say hello. Maybe he knows something about the kind of place this is.

Um...excuse me.[/i]

Hello?

Master, I believe these people are speaking to you.

Hm? Oh...

Music: MARIA ORIGIN

Are those... Tribal clothes? If all of you want to go on pointless journeys, go somewhere else.

Pointless journey?!

We came here to stop the water in our village from drying up! That is NOT pointless!

A drought? I'm saying, it's pointless because all you're doing is focusing on one event. Droughts are just one of the things happening on our world.

What do you mean?

Even if the drought in your village is resolved, the world will still be thirsty.

But I have to save my village! Do you know how?

And why are you asking me that? Do you think I'll know?

Well...

Enough. ...We're leaving, Odelia. I'm done.

Yes, master.

Wait! Please... Why were you here?

I don't need to answer that. What a waste of time. Goodbye forever, I hope. (Maybe this area is less interesting than I thought. Still, one more stop today.)

Jurie, have you ever seen that man before?

No, I've never seen him before.

I wonder what he was doing here?

And that woman, could she have been an automaton?

An "automaton"?

It's a product of ancient alchemy with machines that can talk and act like people. From what my father told me, they were much more common a long time ago than they were today. Even now there's only a few that are known to exist.

One thing's for sure, that man is certainly no average traveler.

Hopefully we don't run into him again, though.

The energetic witch

Are you going out, Shallote?

Yeah. Al wanted me to find an automaton in the ruins to the north. He said he'd pay me a lot if I could find one and bring it back.

Are you taking Miruca with you?

Of course!

That's good, she's a good friend. Be careful out there.

I know. See you later!

Master Wilbell! How did you guess?

The Perriend kid told just about everyone. He looked really happy and he kept talking about automatons.

Agh... Jeeze, Al, why? Do you think it's reckless?

Why?

Well you did come all the way out here just to stop me...

Stop you?! Haha!! Actually, it's the opposite. I'm going with you.

Really? ...Why?

Because I'd be too worried if it was just you.

Liar.

How did you know...? Wait, who are you?

That's Miruca. She's a childhood friend of mine, and an amazing alchemist who studied in Central.

Well, not really an alchemist, but a--

What! Oh... I see. An alchemist...

So you're Shal's "master".

Kind of... I guess?

Mmm.

No no! Not at all. It would be reassuring.

That's good. Let's go!

I can't believe I get to travel with you so soon! This is awesome!

Haha, well don't get careless now. Now let's see... Let's fight that monster over there, and I'll show you what Wilbell's grand magic can do!

Music: We Still Have Work to Do

Heh, too easy.

That was incredible! Can you show me how to do that?

That...might be a little hard...

Ugh, what is this place?

I don't know, but I don't think we'll find automatons around here. Let's just get through here as soon as possible.

We can't forget about the materials around here. Some of them look pretty valuable.

What is this thing?

Hm...looks like a Slag Coin. There's not too valuable, but some people out there collect them.

It doesn't look good as a material, but slags are mysterious creatures. Maybe it can be used for something?

I guess we didn't learn that much.

Miss! I'm so glad you're safe.

Thanks Teo. Kortes and Jurie did a great job of helping me fight some of the slags in the ruins.

Shallie, do you still need time to prepare your report?

Yeah, I haven't written anything outside of my notes since I left the ruins. I need to get started and make sure I do a good job on it.

Ancient factory

Urgh, this place is creepy...! That's why I didn't really want to come here...

You won't be able to work if you complain about something as minor as this...

I just don't like dirty places...

I'm fine.

No way. Really? Oh, is it a lot like your house? Like, a huge mess everywhere, things growing in the kitchen and stuff?

Eww... Do you really live in a place like that?

What! No!

Yeah it is! I clean up after you all the time when Jurie isn't around.

Jurie?

Miruca's older sister. She really, really looks up to Miruca.

Huh.

And this place doesn't look anything like where I live, don't blow things out of proportion.

It'll be easy if you think of it as alchemy training.

What does this have to do with that?

Quit your whining. If you don't want to do it, I'll just go home.

Wait! Okay okay I got it. Uuhh, I'll do my best!

Okay, let's go!

By the way...

You're not done yet?

I've never seen an automaton before... How do we look for one?

...I wish you'd have asked that before we got here.

I know what they look like. We'll be fine.

Wait, you HAVE seen one?

Yep. I've been through quite a bit...

Awesome! Just what I would expect! Alright, we better get looking!

Music: Sandy Sea -Ruins-

There are slags everywhere, but I haven't seen any automatons. We should go further in.

It looks like this area might be an abandoned factory. The machines they're using here seem very ancient.

An abandoned factory? But why would the slags come here?

Slags are drawn to ruins for some reason. Though, they've been found almost everywhere. They're usually not violent, but they are very territorial. I don't think we'll have many problems as long as we can find the automaton soon.

Surprise attack

Whoa, is that a person?!

It's shut down, but there's no doubt that it's an automaton.

Really? ... It looks just like a human...

We should head back now that we've found it... I'm so tired of walking.

Are you not used to going to going on adventures like this?

Not really. Most of the work I do is for the people in town, and Imbuing doesn't require as many ingredients as alchemy, so I don't need to leave town very often

Hm...

What?! AHHhhhh!

Wow, there's so many of them...

Don't worry. We can do this.

Let's finish this!

Only one left!

Heh...too easy...

I wonder if they were "Guardians"...

"Guardians"?

Mmm never mind. Let's go.

We're going to keep going?

Well, if we found an automaton here, maybe there's one in the Ruins of Frozen Time, too.

"Ruins of Frozen Time"?

It's a really ancient ruin located northeast of Stellard. No one knows exactly why it's there or what it does. This will be my first time going there!

Music: Gate of Mirages

These are amazing...

Doesn't look there's anything here. We should be safe when exploring.

Hey, isn't that...

Man on a mission

Wait a minute! There's something I can use as a catalyst... I mean, material here! Ooooh, I can sense something rare over there!

Wait! Master!

...What are we gonna do with this?

I'm sure Al will up the reward if we bring them both back... I'll just grab it...

Its feet look stuck in the ground...

What!!

Isn't one enough?

Yeah, but... (Does that mean its been here so long that its feet have melded with the ground...?)

What are you doing?

Um, I'm just trying to recover this automaton...

Hmm. You know about these? I didn't realize there were people around here with knowledge about them.

(What's with this old dude...!)

That one will not work.

(And who's the cutie?! How do they even know each other?!)

Why won't it work?

It's doing its job here.

Job?

Hhm. I guess that is as much as you know. If you don't know what this place is, you should leave. There would be problems if you wake something up with your inept fumbling...

What the...?! Are you saying you know what these ruins are?!

And if I did? Stand aside and let me investigate.

If you don't understand its true value, just leave.

What the heck! And just who ARE you!

May I have a hand.

Of course.

Mm.

(He just IGNORED me?!)

I'm finished here. Let's go. Goodness, it's just one nuisance after another today.

Yes master.

What's with that guy!? What a creep!

It sounded like he was investigating the ruins. Still, you probably shouldn't have talked to him like that.

Hey come on! I just wanted to know what he was doing.

Still, you shouldn't demand strangers to identify themselves.

Grr...

Hey, how much time were you planning on standing around?

Ornery old guy?

He was pretty scary looking, but he had a cute girl following him around!

Huh? (Scary looking, angry old guy with a cute girl following him. Couldn't be...) Shall we head back? You're done now, right?

Yep! I gotta deliver this to Al!

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 6, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh god Harry Olson has gone memetic. Now he's infected that poor corporate kid. It's only a matter of time before the pouchels take over.

Also, Probably Keithgriff seems even more Probably Keithgruff than before. I suppose the state of the world isn't weighing lightly on him.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I don't think it's much of an exaggeration to say the response to this thread hasn't exactly been overwhelming a few weeks in, so I would like to make one thing clear before I decide on keeping it going any longer: is there any interest at all in me keeping this thread going? We currently have more than 250 screenshots on one page and four updates, and it doesn't look like discussion will pick up any time soon.

I would like to finish this thread just to round out the trilogy, but I simply can't do that by myself and I end up with 8 million screenshots over two pages.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'm pretty interested. I guess to anyone outside od Atelier fans, it's probably hard to keep track of differences between the PS3 ateliers.

I don't think you posted in the new LPs thread with this yet, have you? That might help a bit.

These are really screeshot filled so I understand your pain. I was hoping the thread tides me over while waiting for more Sophie news too.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 7, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That was a pretty tough fight for just the second chapter. Those slags took out Miruca in just a few hits. Is the whole game harder than the previous two?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

SSNeoman posted:

That was a pretty tough fight for just the second chapter. Those slags took out Miruca in just a few hits. Is the whole game harder than the previous two?

I think Sylphid is going through New Game Plus as Shalotte. After beating the game (Shallistera or Shalotte) you unlock difficulties intended for a New Game Plus which affect item drop rates and rewards so the battle probably seems tougher because of that. I did Lotte first when I played, and I do remember this battle being sorta tricky if you're not expecting it since it's more slags then your regular battle.

I think this battle is also the first time you can see the Game Over screen, since losing in a regular battle just kicks you to the world map. I'm pretty sure it's a bit different for other events though.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 7, 2015

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
These games are cool, I just don't post a lot.

I do like how the skirt of Wilbell's outer jacket turns into bat wings.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

"Trying to save your village? How pointless, people in other places will still need water."
With that kind of logic, why bother eating? After all, people all over will still be hungry.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Elric posted:

"Trying to save your village? How pointless, people in other places will still need water."
With that kind of logic, why bother eating? After all, people all over will still be hungry.

Keithgriff is an extremist and he apparently met way too many other people with good intentions but with no ability to follow through on what they say. Although here I think he means that restoring water to a village will not fix the main problem that is causing the desert to spread.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Sylphid, I think part of the problem might be that it's a very info dense game for people to start following, and even though you explain things very well some folks are just unable to get it or too stubborn/lazy to. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about that, but you could probably cut down on a lot of page space if you kept the cutscenes as video only?

You've once again persuaded me to pick up another Atelier game though, so you're doing something good for the developers.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I wonder what kind of job those automatons are doing.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
I'm very much a lurker by nature, but I am reading this thread intently. If you need padding, I'll try to put more effort into finding constructive things to say.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Speaking of padding, only a few more posts until the next page. I'm sure we can reach that before the next update.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I will say, without mentioning any track names, that I love how they reuse leitmotifs from Ayesha in this game. Really pushes home that this is the end of the Dusk story.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Delurking to say that the issue I've been having (and have been since partway through Ayesha) is that your updates are gargantuan sometimes, to the point where my eyes glaze over and suddenly I find myself three conversations on without any idea what was said.

However, after looking to see if I could break up the updates any better I'm not sure I could. I'm not even sure if I'm the only one having this issue, to be honest. So I'll try to be a bit more active in posting because these threads have always been pretty awesome.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

These are real good games, and I hope you finish this if only so that you can talk about crafting the perfect items in endgame

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Just wanted to say that I'm definitly interested in this LP (as I was with your other ones) so I hope that you'll be able to keep up your enthusiasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiding place
Jun 11, 2012
Another lurker, I've followed your past atelier threads and really enjoyed them. Your lps tend to be very in depth and informative so having never played the games I tend not to have any questions and a bad habit of not contributing to threads as a general rule. Like others have said will try and actually post in future.

• Locked thread