Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I want to see this continue. I really liked your LP of Escha & Logy. The thing is that these games don't have a lot going on in them-- they're very relaxed games. The more laid-back the game, the less likely people are going to make a lot of posts about what's going on. That's how it feels, anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SSNeoman posted:

Keithgriff is an extremist and he apparently met way too many other people with good intentions but with no ability to follow through on what they say. Although here I think he means that restoring water to a village will not fix the main problem that is causing the desert to spread.

He means that attacking the symptoms and not the root of the problem won't solve anything. Even if she managed to find another source of water for her village, it would just dry up in a couple of years because of the bigger problem.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Lurker here. Have enjoyed your lps since the Arland trilogy and I look forward to learning about this game as well.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
I've been lurking in your threads since Rorona. I've very much enjoyed watching you lp these games that I myself will likely never get the chance to play. I'm really looking forward to seeing how everything shakes out in the end of this game.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
This is a good thread and I am enjoying it. I'm not surprised that there isn't a massive amount of posts between updates, lots of people lurk and your update schedule is super fast.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Yep, reading, just not posting much.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I'm another lurker who's been loving all your Atelier LPs, I just don't have much to say. But I'm really looking forward to seeing how all this turns out.

Carnafex
Sep 6, 2006
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Man I've been hankering for this one ever since the Escha & Logy lp finished up.
Quick question though: does anyone have any idea where you can buy the soundtracks for the dusk series? I immensely enjoy the music, but havent been able to find anywhere to buy it.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Carnafex posted:

Man I've been hankering for this one ever since the Escha & Logy lp finished up.
Quick question though: does anyone have any idea where you can buy the soundtracks for the dusk series? I immensely enjoy the music, but havent been able to find anywhere to buy it.

I was just looking around for them, and it seems like Solaris Japan carries all three games' soundtracks, vocal tracks and all.

Anyway, seems I underestimated the readership. I hate the start of every thread for precisely this reason (especially Escha when it seems like half of the first page didn't know I was doing a new thread until like 3 or 4 updates in). There are a number of reasons why I suppose I have this problem every thread, but it just seemed particularly acute this time. Anyway, I'll get started working on Part V tomorrow. Past couple days have been bad for me and free time.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ended up stumbling onto this late, but I liked the Atelier game I've played, and just wish they weren't console exclusive because I really got no reason to get a PS3, and the PS4 is still too expensive.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Sylphid posted:

I hate the start of every thread for precisely this reason (especially Escha when it seems like half of the first page didn't know I was doing a new thread until like 3 or 4 updates in).

Did you post in the New LP thread? I don't know how helpful it's been yet, but couldn't hurt. :)

For what it's worth, I've read all the entries so far, but the game's been leaving me cold compared to Eschatology, so I hadn't been too psyched about talking about it. I think the big one is having 2 main characters but having them both be "Atelier heroines," it really feels like they took Rorona or Totori and split her personality between the two of them (Tera gets to be demure and serious, Lotte is really driven and runs around a lot), while Logy added a different perspective.

...maybe I just dislike the games that have the most Keithgriff. :v:

Oh, and few of the character designs were good in E&L, but I liked most of them (everybody but Lucille, really); this time around I haven't liked any of them yet. Just too much... stuff, like Jurie's, uh, everything. I didn't even see she had goggles too until now!

Robindaybird posted:

Ended up stumbling onto this late, but I liked the Atelier game I've played, and just wish they weren't console exclusive because I really got no reason to get a PS3, and the PS4 is still too expensive.

Well, you've got 2 Atelier trilogies on PS3, that's 6 reasons to get one. :D I've gotten pretty good mileage out of it, and it helps that previous-gen console games drop in price at GameStop pretty reliably. Really, if you're going to get a console for its exclusives, near the end of its life is the time to do it, heh.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Wayne posted:

Did you post in the New LP thread? I don't know how helpful it's been yet, but couldn't hurt. :)

For what it's worth, I've read all the entries so far, but the game's been leaving me cold compared to Eschatology, so I hadn't been too psyched about talking about it. I think the big one is having 2 main characters but having them both be "Atelier heroines," it really feels like they took Rorona or Totori and split her personality between the two of them (Tera gets to be demure and serious, Lotte is really driven and runs around a lot), while Logy added a different perspective.

...maybe I just dislike the games that have the most Keithgriff. :v:

Oh, and few of the character designs were good in E&L, but I liked most of them (everybody but Lucille, really); this time around I haven't liked any of them yet. Just too much... stuff, like Jurie's, uh, everything. I didn't even see she had goggles too until now!

Well, the Shallies are still finding their way storywise. Escha and Logy got off easy because they were working together from the start, and their stories were relatively entwined as a result. Tera and Lotte both have to establish themselves and set up for their inevitable union.
I kind of agree with you on the personality comment, but we're also seeing snippets of each girl that mellow their image from the initial attitude we see. Lotte is excitable and eager, but she's also got that little streak of jealousy we see with Miruca. And Tera is demure, but I feel she's also got a bit of being spoilt in her? I mean she's understandably upset when Solle refuses to listen to her, but I kind of got the feeling that she was put out for more reasons than "muh village!", like a little bit of "don't you know who I am??"
I really am interested to see what will develop with the relationship between the two heroines and their stories.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part V: The Varied Side of the Converging Stories

What's with that old guy?

He didn't seem that bad to me, but I wonder why he came here.

Maybe we'll see him again... He could have at least told us his name.

Let's explore down here.

Treasure! Yes! Let's see...

Aw, I thought they might be a little nicer than this... Still, I guess they can help when we go on new adventures. I got a new broom, too!

Shal, why do you use a broom anyway?

Well, I figure if I can pick up trash with it, then I might as well bring it everywhere. I can even hit monsters really hard with it and do a lot of damage.

But wouldn't you feel safer with a more powerful weapon?

Maybe, but I'm so used to this...

Mission accomplished?

Yes!

Alright. Chairman?

I don't have any more questions. I've heard enough.

Understood.

At least you finished the job... But the work overall is shoddy, and your descriptions too vague. You don't seem to have much knowledge or experience.

What?! Really?

Are you really an alchemist? Because you're totally different from the alchemists I know.

Um...

... If that's all, then--

Wait! Uh...

I'll send for you when I have something more to discuss.

What do I do now?

You've completed your mission. Good work. You may leave. Let's see...your payment is 300 Cole. Here you are.

Huh? ...But...

Father!

What is it? Remember, we have guests... Please keep your voice down.

Oh, sorry... Hey Linca, who're the guests?

This is Shallistera from Lugion Village.

You're from another village? My name is Albert. My dad is Gerard Perriend.

Oh...! It's nice to meet you.

Linca, where's my father? It's important I get something from him! Hurry!

I understand. Shallistera, you may leave. Please come back again sometime.

Okay. Thank you...

A boy's dream

Here is your well-earned reward! You went above and beyond.

Holy moly, this is a lot! Are you sure about this?

Yes, please take it! You have my gratitude. Can I... Count on you if I need something later on?

Yeah! Of course. I have to ask, though, why do you like automatons so much? They're cute, but I wouldn't pay this much for them...

How can you not appreciate their beauty?!

Ugh... Okay, okay...

What's all this ruckus about?

(Oh no, it's Perriend...)

Are you still collecting useless junk? You already have more than enough to do as my heir.

I'm sorry, father... I'll get back to studying...

Perriend... Hello!

You should try to follow your mother, Shallie, and find some real work for yourself.

Okay.

Hahh...

Whew...

(...It's that girl again!!)

Shallie, you okay?

Yeah... We have to keep our heads up!

Yes.

(So her name is Shallie, TOO!)

Is something wrong, Shallie?

Oh, nope. I'm gonna head home now.

Alright, I'll let you know if I need anything else.

Don't blame me if it makes your dad angry.

Don't remind me. Well, I'll see you later, then.

See ya!

She's gone now... I'm sure we'll meet again, though. Well, I'm sure Mom is worried.

But the best part is finding real work, and getting an actual reward! I do kinda feel bad for Al... But this might really help me move forward. If I can make enough, I can finally do what I want... (Wait a minute, now that I think about it...) What DO I want to do?

Shallie! Bath is ready!

Okaaay! I guess I can think about the other stuff later.

Shallote, why don't you help me around the house today?

Sorry mom, I need to accept some jobs. Raoul said he had a bunch of requests today.

Okay. Make sure you get home before night.

Okaaaaayyyy.

What do I do...?

Shallie, you have a guest...

Oh! Please, come in.

Linca, hello!

I've brought an extra reward, and a message from the Chairman.

Extra reward? To be honest he didn't seem that happy with my work.

No, it's not that... He just has trouble expressing himself. Please, take this...

An alchemy book...

It's your extra reward! The Chairman said to "keep up the training". Did you see those books on the walls of the Corporation? The Chairman loves to collect books, but never seems to have the time to read any of them. When he heard you were an alchemist, he said it should go to someone who can use it well.

Really? Perriend...

He knows you're quite sincere and hardworking, Shallistera. But it seems you have your own circumstances and responsibility. He hopes you will gain the capacity to carry that burden.

A responsibility and a way to carry it?

Yes.

(I wonder if he's actually a nice guy...)

That's all for now. I look forward to seeing you later.

I wonder if I'll be able to finish my task.

So, what's next Shallie?

I should focus on alchemy for a bit, then go back to the ruins. I didn't get to explore as much as I wanted to. I'm sure there's more valuable ingredients there.

Okay. Just let me know if there's anything I can help with. I have to help dad with the ship repairs now.

Is it really bad?

To be honest, it's not that the ship is in bad condition, it's just we don't have the materials necessary to repair the ship fully. The impact badly damaged the front and destroyed a lot of machinery that we need to move to the ship. Until we repair it, the ship is stuck in Stellard.

Really...? And we still don't know how to save Lugion.

I hate to say it, but we may be here in Stellard for a while.

I'm sorry I can't do more...

Don't worry about it. That's why we're here to help.

Yeah, I know. Thanks. I'm going to go down and get some jobs from the Union. We could always use more money.

Um... No... (Could he mean the person I saw before...?)

Her full name is Shallote. She's a cheerful girl, but that is basically her only redeeming quality.

Whaaaaat?! That can't be right.

If you ask me, it most certainly is. However, you might find her more interesting. Apparently she's an alchemist as well. You'll probably end up meeting her eventually.

(I wonder what kind of person she is... I want to meet her.)

About the ethos here. If it hasn't changed since before, everyone is mostly concerned with their personal freedom.

Personal freedom...?

In other words... You take care of yourself first... Or, uh...

What's wrong? You're muttering like you've got a mouth full of food.

Nothing, it's just...

Miss, you seem to be surprised after to such a large city for the first time. While everyone in our village is like a family, this is more like a gathering of strangers.

Gathering of strangers?

People live alongside unrelated strangers... Connections different than in the village. In other words... Personal choice and mutual aid are valued highly in this city. You can't expect help right from the start for nothing, but you help each when needed.

...But isn't that the same as the village?

In the village, it's easy to guess what others want, then act on it, right?

...Isn't that what it means to help each other?

There's too many people, so you can't tell how other people feel...? That doesn't seem good at all...

But that's normal here. That's why there's no point in waiting for someone to help. You need to network instead.

It's up to you to work towards an understanding with others here. They won't come to you. You must go to them.

Teo...

If you show an open heart and accept them, the people of htis city will do the same in return.

Okay... There's still a lot I don't understand, but I'll do my best.

Miss Shallistera, you've already shown so much improvement since we've arrived in Stellard. Why don't you walk around the city with Kortes and talk with the people here? I'm sure you'll understand them much more if you speak with them.

Of course. Let's go Shallie.

R-Right!

(Hm...I'm starting to understand the people here, but...) ...Still, what can I do to gain the trust of the people here...? Maybe someone would know... Oh, what about Jurie? She's from Stellard...

So, that's why I'm here today.

You want to know how to approach people?

Yes... When I thought about it, I don't think I've actually befriended someone before...

And that's because everyone in your village is already like family, right?

How did you know?

Because Kortes was always complaining about that.

Kortes was...?

You didn't know? I guess that's not a surprise, though.

(I didn't know Kortes felt that way about the village...) I really don't know anything...

You should stop blaming yourself for everything.

...Huh?

There're people who'll take advantage of that here... Something bad might happen if you keep doing it.

...Anyway, befriending people is easier if there's a mutual benefit, or similar interests. That's where it starts. As you spend more time with someone, you understand each other more. That helps mutual trust.

...I see.

Just don't think about it too hard.

Thank you very much... I'll try. (I still don't really understand... But I guess I need to help others, and get to know them, and then they'll listen to me... It seems difficult, but I'll try my hardest...)

There's no reason to think about it so much. You've only been here a little while, and already you've made great progress winning the trust of the people here. You'll get used to it before you know it.

You think so? Thanks Jurie.

What is it, Raoul? Do you have a big job for me to do?

Don't get so carried away. You know how that big ship came from a distant land?

Oh, the one that came crashing into town!

Apparently, the young lady who was on the ship is also called "Shallie".

Young lady? ...Is she a kid?

No, she's just a bit younger than you. Her name's Shallistera, I think... Also, she seems to be a princess...

You're all over the place. I don't really get your point.

Quiet. Anyway, I was just mentioning it because it's an interesting coincidence.

Hmm, another Shallie, huh. This is starting to feel like fate!

She seems to be hard working, but also a little shut-in... Or, I guess you could say she's naive...?

I got it! If we ever end up working together, I'll be sure to train her well!

You don't need to get so excited about it.

(I wonder what kind of girl she is... I wanna meet her...!)

Shallie, didn't you come here to see what jobs are available?

Oh, almost forgot! Sorry!

More trash-cleaning jobs, Raoul?

I know, but someone has to do it. Cleaning crews are already at the harbor, but if you can help out that would be great.

That's a lot of jobs. You think you can handle that much?

Of course, just leave it to me!

Heh...I wonder if you can maintain that enthusiasm.

Just you wait! Okay, now then...I should get ready.

Oh, Shallie, listen! I found some great work for you!

Huh? What kind?

All you need to do is prepare 50 pieces of leather!

...What? Seriously...? ("All I need to do"? That sounds like a ton of work to me...) Uh... Hmm.

What's wrong, Shallie? Does your stomach hurt?

(But mom went out of her way to find this work for me...) Okay! Thanks mom! I'll give it a shot sometime! Ahaha...

I'm glad you're happy. It's great to have connections for work.

...Yeah, I'll do my best... Ahaha... Where did you get this job from?

A clothing designer. She said she needed plenty of material for designing new fashions, and thought she'd ask an alchemist in Stellard to make some for her.

Oh... Okay, I'll do a great job!

I'm sure you will, Shallie. There's no time limit on the job, so feel free to focus on more important jobs first. But I'm sure it would be great for you if you completed it.

Thanks again mom! (Ugh...this job sounds like a pain...) Hm.

What's wrong?

Oh, I don't have the recipe for making leather with alchemy.

Is it that hard? I think you could make some leather without a recipe book.

No...it's really dangerous to try and make something if you don't know the recipe for it. Is there anyone selling alchemy books in Stellard?

Well...I know the Katla girl outside the house had some books with her, and you might try the Perriend Corporation, as well.

Katla and Perriend...guess I'll try there.

Ah, excellent choice! Another alchemist also bought a copy of this book.

Another alchemist?

Yes! A very beautiful girl with long black hair and a strange dress. She was here a few days ago.

(That must be Shallistera! I wonder where she is now...)

There's only so much you can learn from studying alchemy. I can't just study in the atelier all the time. I need to get stronger!

Well, slags make good training opponents because of their predictable movements and behavior while still being dangerous. You're young; I'm sure you'll learn a lot from Kortes and me.

That's nice to hear... We should also survey the area much more than we did last time we were here.

Well, there are ruins to the north and east. I've heard the north has some really strong slags, so maybe that's not a good idea right now. The ruins to the east... I think that should be okay.

Have you been in these ruins before?

Last time was a while ago so I don't remember much about this area, but the Ruins of Frozen Time should be to the east.

Those ruins in the distance are about halfway between here and the Ruins. Let's head there first.

Actually, maybe we could head north a little...

Wow...this is a great material! I'm not really able to use it very well, though, but it will be nice to have.

Alright, let's keep moving.

Doesn't look like there's many materials... I wonder if we'll find any?

What is that? Do you know what it is, Shallie?

I'm not sure... It looks human, but it's not alive, and it looks...stuck in the ground. It might be an automaton.

Why would one of those be here?

I don't know, but I don't think we can move it like it is now. Let's just keep investigating this place.

There are no materials here... But this ruin looks too important to be completely empty.

Well, if there's nothing else here, we should head back to Stellard.

Ugh... There're so many people here...!

This is where treasure hunters meet up for work and information. Maybe it's a little soon to bring you here.

Hey! Stop treating me like a kid all the time...

Sorry. But you'd hesitate to come here on your own, wouldn't you?

Well, yes... (Everyone here is an adult... I hate to admit it, but I really am just like a kid in a place like this.)

Hey yeah, you're right. She's a respectable treasure hunter, after all. I wonder if she's got some business.

I don't know... But why isn't she talking with anyone?

Hmm... It kind of looks like everyone's avoiding her, rather than her not trying to talk to them...

Huh, why...? Do people not like her?

No, she's a good person, just not that social. Plus she's an expert treasure hunter, so she's kinda intimidating.

I didn't know... She's really nice. What a shame.

Oh, Kortes and Shallie. What are you two doing here?

Hi Jurie. Me and Kortes were just about to head to the Union to turn in some jobs.

Oh, right. Kortes, help me out here.

Help you out? It doesn't look like you're doing anything.

No, I'm doing a lot actually. Besides, it'll be good for Shallie if she's on her own for a bit.

You think so?

I know so. Now come on.

Yeah yeah...

Ugh, what a mess. Well, I should finish this up. Hmhmhmhm.....

Really? I still don't really understand it that well...

I should be able to start giving you more profitable work now. But, more money means more trust from the client. It's a big responsibility. Work hard and get it done!

(Okay, I'll do my best!) Are there more jobs in today?

There are, but nothing I think you'd find challenging. Come back in a few days and I should have more for you.

Okay! Thank you very much! (There's still one more thing I want to make right now, now that I'm more comfortable with my alchemy...)

Is that a bomb, Shallie?

Yeah, but...don't worry! It won't explode without a really strong shock. We'll be fine!

Are you sure? Oh! But that means you're getting much better with alchemy, right?

Yeah! To be honest, I was kind of scared to try a synthesis like this, but it turned out alright.

Of course it did! You were the one making it.

Oh, mom... Oh, is dinner ready yet?

Well, I followed the recipe exactly, so it should be safe to use outside of town. I never realized how dangerous alchemy can really be...

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 6, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Just as a note, I didn't remember that the Shallies' storyline crossed over again when Stera leaves the Corporation while Albert is talking to Lotte, so I just shuffled the timeline a bit and moved the Corporation scene to this update instead.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Are alchemists no longer as rare as they once were? I'm kinda surprised that the only reaction from people getting synthesized items is "...meh. It's p poo poo"

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Are alchemists no longer as rare as they once were? I'm kinda surprised that the only reaction from people getting synthesized items is "...meh. It's p poo poo"

I'm sure word would have got around of alchemy saving the world several times over in both of the previous Dusk games, so it's probably more popular than it was.

And even if alchemy is still rare, if the end product is bad then it's bad, regardless of how the product was created, if that makes any sense.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
Is Novice the highest rank you can get at this point in the game?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

I think it's more a matter of the first two games taking place in extremely remote backwaters. By all signs, Central and other cities actually have enough alchemists to have built at least one college of alchemy.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
quote is not edit

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Not to mention they've advanced alchemy with the introduction of Imbuing, unless that's just a renamed mechanic. Bog-standard alchemy is probably pretty bland.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Eldataluta posted:

Is Novice the highest rank you can get at this point in the game?

No, but in the first few chapters you'd be lucky to get anything but. I think the highest alchemy rating you can get is "Sage of Alchemy", not sure what the highest Adventurer rating is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Roro posted:

Not to mention they've advanced alchemy with the introduction of Imbuing, unless that's just a renamed mechanic. Bog-standard alchemy is probably pretty bland.

They explained this in more detail in E&L. Central has enough alchemists that they've branched into specialties with specific tools meant for specific tasks, of which Imbuing is one (presumably of many). The traditional "put stuff in cauldron and stir until other stuff magically pops out" method is considered old-fashioned, inefficient, and frankly really confusing. On the other hand, it's still more versatile than the new methods.

Meruca is an alchemist who is only trained in Imbuing, and doesn't know how to do anything else except in the most basic sense.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What actually denotes a chapter again? You've got a plot mission to complete, and a selection of side content, and when you complete the plot mission the chapter completes and any uncompleted side content is... lost?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Bonus Update 1

Like with the previous Dusk game threads, every five updates will be a Bonus Update, where I'll compile artwork, music commentary, and any other interesting things I feel like addingg outside of the main thread. In the future, using bonus updates I'll probably post scans of the Dusk Trilogy art books with the bonus updates. Let us begin.

Artwork

Stera artwork
Lotte artwork
Kortes artwork
Nady artwork
Teokhuga artwork
Solle artwork
Jurie artwork
Miruca artwork
Wilbell artwork

Alchemist of Aspiration!?
Syn. Ship Atelier Stera
Syn. Shallie's House
Stellard A
Stellard B
Shallie's's Ship
Ship workshop

Music
As with the other threads, I'm going to use the game's in-game OST to determine listing, but using another website (VGMdb) for the song name translations.

Alchemist on a Ship
I'm Asano, and I composed BGMs and battle sound effects for this game. I'd like to write a long message thanking you, but... There's a word limit on this text. Anyway, thank you for clearing the game! (Asano)

Humming in the Atelier
This atelier theme is based directly off Lotte's image. The chords and build up never calm down (haha). Also, we brought back the cauldron's bubbling sound effect for this game. It's so relaxing! (Yanagawa)

Y'know, I never noticed the bubbling. I'll have to listen for it when I record next.

Song of the Sand Sea Hunters
Theme for the Union. It's basically a den for rowdy people, with everyone shouting orders, so I went for a wild tune. The sound of chains was inspired by a song featuring wind instruments. (Yanagawa)

Spitting Chairman
Theme for the Corporation. I'm sure you'll understand the title if you started with Stera. But if you didn't, give the game another shot, this time with Stera! I need to be more careful when I talk, too. (Asano)

Disappeared Water
This title theme is an arrangement of the opening. I did many arrangements of this song, but often times they only had a little bit of the original. Some people might not even realize it! (Yanagawa)

Sandy Sea -Shallistera-
The BGMs for the smaller maps in this game are arrangements of the world map theme. We did this for Totori and Meruru, too. (Achiwa)

Sandy Sea -Shallote-
Since we have 2 heroines in this game, I decided to use their images to create their own arrangements as well. (Achiwa)

I prefer Shallote's version as opposed to Shallistera's. Just has more...presence, I think.

Sandy Sea -Desert-
Yanagawa was in charge of these arrangements in Totori and Meruru, so this is my first time handling this job. It's actually pretty difficult! (Achiwa)

Sandy Sea -Vegetation-
I thought tweaking the music would be easier, but I was so wrong! You need to make the track follow the progress and tempo of the original, as well as sounding distinct, so there are a lot of limits. (Achiwa)

I wonder if that's the reason they've only done "One major theme, remixes for small areas" thing in only three of the games. Then again, Shallie is kind of weird because it has a very distinct main theme that the other Ateliers kind of lacked, at least from what I remember.

Sandy Sea -Ruins-
Even though it's an arrangement, you can't change too much, but there's no point if I don't change enough... I was relieved after I finally finished all the versions of this track. (Achiwa)

Seeing Off the Daytime Calm
Yanagawa was very particular about adding environmental sounds to map themes. My hometown is small, about 4000 people, and the beach was a 3 minute walk from my house. I'd like to visit sometime. (Asano)

Shining Zoospore
I normally decide on 2-3 key words before I start composing a track. They were "mystery" "calm" and "beauty" for this one. Looking back, I don't know if there were any meaning to that (lol). (Asano)

Gate of Mirages
Theme for ruins with buried automatons. This is another arrangement of the opening. I got a cute, little flute, so I tried using it. (Yanagawa)

Stella -1-
Battle theme for the early part of the game. Those who chose to play using Stera will definitely heard this, so I put a lot of effort into play the guitar. (Asano)

Though I like Lotte's world map theme more, I have to say I prefer Stera's battle themes over Lotte's. It is good they musically gave different feelings to the characters, though. A lesser game wouldn't pick up on something like that, that the music of a game can dramatically affect your feelings toward it.

Until the Day We Fulfill Our Duty
Stera's victory jingle. I was surprised to see Stera uses a bell to break barrels, because at first I thought she was using her bare hands. Although it's pretty amazing to do it with a bell, too. (Yanagawa)

Sweep! -1-
Lotte's battle theme. The guitar, bass, and bouzouki are played by the very familiar Dani! The nnormal battle themes are full of arrangements in this game, so it was actually rather difficult... (Yanagawa)

Also a good directorial decision: change up the battle themes depending on your progress in the game. Too many games (the first Xenosaga being an infamous example of a game with exactly two battle themes: one for every fight that's NOT the final boss, and one for the final boss) don't do this, and even the best battle themes can get very tiring after hearing it, especially with how combat-heavy RPGs I've played recently are.

In addition, not only does everyone who play this game have three different versions of their heroine's battle theme, but people who preordered this game from Amazon got a music pack, with an additional remix of each heroine's main battle theme.

We Still Have Work to Do
Lotte's victory jingle. I can totally see her looking around for valuables after a battle (lol). Her level up animation is cute. I really like it. (Yanagawa)

We haven't seen it yet, but it's Lotte trying to get on a broom and start flying, before failing and rubbing her head. It is really cute, but it doesn't really make sense until later in the game. Also, I like the in-game name for this song more than the translated one: "I Can Still Earn More".

Aquarius
The guitar and bass are played by Dani. It'd be interesting to compare the different tones and solo styles used by the various composers. (Achiwa)

The Girl of the White Sands
Thsi game has two heroines! Pairings of long and short hair are pretty standard, but I wonder what started it? Pink Lady? Beauty hair? (Achiwa)

Blue Sky and Broom Daughter
Shallotte's hair style and character are really uppity, so I went with this title! Shallistera? ...Who's that? She's got long black hair? ...Are you talking about Sonoko Kawai? You don't know her? (Achiwa)

Forearm Ball
Miruca's theme. To tell the truth, this track was finished before the atelier track. Seriously though, I think Miruca is super cute. What do you think? (Asano)

I have to agree, honestly. She's my favorite of the new characters, with the Shallies pretty much tied for me.

Dual Blades and Picture Books
I want an older sister like Jurie. I only have a younger sister, so I can't stop yearning for an older sister. I want to call her "neesan". I'd wag my tail and follow along anyone who'd let me! (Yanagawa)

Baby Bird -Part 3-
Theme for a certain master. When I imagine being able to use magic, the first thing that comes to mind is how easy it would be to get to work by flying... Seriously, I kind of hate myself for thinking about it. (Asano)

MARIA ORIGIN
A certain old man commented about a transforming magical girl in the Ayesha music hall. I was shocked to see that a drama CD actually came out! And the main character was voiced by Jouji Nakata! (Achiwa)

Keith's Japanese voice actor, in case you don't remember the name. This tune in particular was used a lot in Ayesha, and remains one of my favorite songs from Ayesha. It's no less great here.

We're Both Shallie
This is a combination of a lively, short haired girl and a graceful, long haired girl. Now that I think about it, there was a book with a name like "Two Lottes". (Achiwa)

Let's Calmly Talk
A movie I saw recently has started affecting my chord progression... Anyway, I like composing heartwarming tunes like this. I'd like to compose children's songs after I retire. (Yanagawa)

Open the Door
This is supposed to sound serious and solemn, rather than just straight-up sad. The image is of someone suddenly talking openly about their worried and old memories. (Achiwa)

I Don't Get It
This is for situations where you don't know what to do. But then naturally, you synthesize something with alchemy and solve the problem. (Achiwa)

Creaking
Situational BGMs really need to evenoke that sense of "this really fits!" I'm pretty confident about this track. (Achiwa)

Orgel of Youth
I completed this track with a single play. Composing like this results in more honest melodies. (Yanagawa)

Sand Clouds

I've used this title before, but it just fits the image too perfectly not to use it. By the way, the other time I used this title was in Atelier Iris 2. (Achiwa)

Explanation!
Tutorial theme. I really like it when the bass jumps in here and there. (Asano)

Memorize!
Theme for learning recipes. When asked "Do you have a hobby?" I thought it would be cool to say "Cooking". At least I did, until 2 years ago. (Asano)

Cooking is definitely one of those talents I want to have, but just don't seem to have the time to learn.

Listen Here!
A jingle for whne new allies join, and other events. I'm always asking Yanagawa for advice with jingles like this. Thank you. (Asano)

Results Celebration!
Life Task results theme. Oh right, while progressing certain tasks, the sound of Lotte's footsteps changes. Did anybody notice? (Yanagawa)

Rusty Sky
This song is not only used for the title theme, but for various arrangements as well. Please take a listen to the full version of this song, and reflect on the Dusk Sea. (Okamura)

Game version: The opening theme for this game. In order to depict the grand scale of the Dusk World, we asked a new artist, Matryoshka, to compose for us. (Okamura)

Asymmetry
All the artists asked to perform in this series have combined their individual musical talents with the themes and world setting of Atelier. Thank you all very much! (Okamura)

Game version: We asked Chirinuruwowaka to perform the avant-title theme. The setting for this game involves the theme of ships and traveling, so the songs fit into this as well. (Okamura)

First bonus update of a thread is always terrible in terms of number of songs that need to be reported, and I likely missed a few that actually played in scenes I've covered. Ah well, I'll be sure to get everything eventually.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 22, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't really seen enough of the characters to form an opinion about them yet. Sorry music people :(

And cooking is a super cool skill and will make you very attractive to everyone. It is in fact so cool that goons have been tryimg to get a woman to cook for five months in e/n.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part VI: The Financial Side of the Girls' Journeys

Monster in the sand

We heard about a ship sinking...

What! Who was on it?

I don't know...

Do you know why it sank?

No, but passengers on a different ship nearby said they heard a Sand Dragon...

drat. ...Not again...

Future direction

Hmm.

What's wrong, Shallie?

It's so hard to save money.

You're trying to save up?

Some extra money would make life a lot easier, and maybe even let me do what I want.

So what do you want to do, Shallie?

Well uh... (I know there's something, but I can never think of what it is!)

Heh, there's no hurry. Just take your time and think about it. There's no hurry to save money, either.

I guess.

You should go spend some time with Miruca instead of worrying all day. Isn't it your day off, anyway?

Miruca, hmm?

It'd be a good change of pace for you.

Oh! I know! Miruca's atelier is doing really well... I should ask her about her secrets to success! Thanks, mom! I'll go see her!

One step forward

What's wrong?

Oh, I'm sorry. I can't seem to find all the materials we need to fix the ship... I've tried everything.

Oh... Well, that's not good... The city doesn't have anything to spare, and we're asking for more than they're willing to part with. We need to do more for the people here and gain their support.

You already have a pretty big job... Please, let me know if there's anything I can do...

Oh Teo, thank you. But we have to work together here, for the sake of our village... I'm going to the Union again to see if you we can get more materials... (They don't even have enough to spare for a little remote village. I just need to work harder!)

Hardworking girls

Sorry for keeping you waiting. Here ya go.

Thank you! With this, I'll be even better at hunting!

The pan broke...

A repair? Apologies, there'll be a little bit of a wait for that...

(This place is so popular! And all the customers seem so happy...)

Oh, Shal? Please get some tea while I talk with these customers.

Oh...okay!

Steel blade

Wha... Who is this?

Oh, Shallie! His name is Homura. He's a homunculus.

Homunculus...?

He may look odd, but he's a capable treasure hunter who works for the Union.

Music: Flame

Nice to meet you, Homura. I'm Shallistera.

Nice to meet you. Shallistera. Can call you, "Shallie"?

Yes, a lot of people call me that.

Okay. Shallie. Where from?

What?

Your clothes are strange. For around here.

I'm from Lugion Village, it's quite a ways from here.

Lugion. Nostalgic.

You know of it?!

Long ago. Visit. Very nice.

The area around the village is deteriorating, so she came here to find a solution to the problem.

Homura... You're worried about us?

Lugion... Gratitude for help. Never will forget. If need something, ask. I help you, Shallie.

Thank you so much, Homura!

There also might be a way to get the materials you need for your ship... Through the Union.

Really?

Not for free, of course. We are many things, but a charity is not one of them.

I'll pay for it!

Alright, just let me know when you've got the payment.A

Are you. Leaving. Town now?

No, I'm going to go back to my ship to see if I have enough money.

I see. Come speak to me. Before you go on. Adventure!

Hee hee, sure.

Shallie.

Hey Jurie! What is it?

There's someone I want you to meet. Come with me.

Huh?

Whew...sorry about that.

You're working pretty hard, Miruca.

Shal... What're you doing here?

Hehe, I'm spying behind enemy lines, as it were...

...I don't get it.

What's your ssecret to such a popular shop?

Why would you ask an "enemy" something like that!

Awww, c'mon! It was just a joke!

...Hahh. I don't have any secrets, I just listen to the customer, do waht I can to help and tell them if I can't. Also, I make sure they're happy with my services.

That sounds easier than I thought...

Imbuing isn't magic.

I wish I could make a lot of money like magic.

There's a lot you can do with just basic alchemy. That's part of the reason the basics are so difficult. Here, you should read this over.

An alchemy textbook?

It's full of useful information for old style alchemy.

Thanks Miruca!

I already mentioned it, but there're a lot of people interested in Central's style of alchemy coming to my atelier.

"Central's style"?

Oh, I guess you wouldn't know much about that... Well, to put it simply, it involves a lot of machinery that can "fold" materials into a base and enhance its properties. For example, with your old broom, I could fold alchemy materials into that and enhance it with new properties. It's why it's called "imbuing".

Oh, I guess they would only have that kind of machinery in Central, huh...

Exactly. Central has a number of skilled agents who can do that kind of work outside of Central, though. Although I'm not working for Central, there's a large academy there for students to learn the basics. Most of the machinery I use I had to build myself, and it's not the same as it was in Central.

But being able to do that is an incredible skill! I'm sure you'll make a lot of money for a long time.

That's possible, but I think that once the craze is over, people like me will need a strong foundation to stay in business. I'll support you if you want to work in this field. I'll do any Imbuing you need, too...

So...?

So, don't settle for just anything.

("Just anything"...?) I uh...

Excuse me, I have a quick question...

I'll uh, check back later.

Oh...!

Is something wrong? I can come back later...

Oh, not at all. What do you need?

Sisters forever?

This is it.

This is... An atelier?

Hey.

Hello... (An atelier... Wow. I've never seen a lot of this stuff before...)

Oh, hey sis.

Wha!

How're you?

Same ol' same ol'.

By sis, do you mean that she's your sister, Jurie?

Yep. Younger sister, actually. She's the top alchemist in Stellard.

She must be wicked smart.

She is really, REALLY good good. Guaranteed.

So, Jurie...

She's also the cutest little sister ever!

What?

That's also guaranteed.

Jurie, can you shut it for two seconds? Sorry about that. I'm Miruca Crotze. I run this Imbuing shop.

I'm Shallistera Argo. I have to say, I haven't seen a lot of the tools in here.

I do suppose they could be unusual to regular people...

Actually, Shallie's an alchemist, too.

Shallie...?

Ah, yeah, a lot of people call me that. (That was the same name Miruca used for that girl she knows...)

Oh, I see. So if you're an alchemist but you have trouble recognizing these tools... You must be an old style alchemist.

Old style?

Miruca studied in Central.

Just a bit. I use a new type of alchemy that uses these tools.

A new form of alchemy from Central...! That's amazing!

Thank you so much, MIruca! What is "Disassembling"?

Oh... As long as you bring me alchemy materials from outside of Stellard, I can disassemble them into their base forms. It's a new technique that's being worked on in Central, but it's proven. If you need a specific ingredient, you might find it be disassembling another.

Oh, that's great!

Don't settle for just anything, huh. (I dunno what she was getting at, but it seems like she knows I've been feeling down.) The foundations of alchemy... Since Miruca is working on IMbuing, I have to find something else to do... Hmm... I guess I can just jump in headfirst and see what kind of alchemic experience I can get!

I'll go ask Solle if there's any work I can help with!

Tiny warrior

Hello. Human.

Whoa! Who's this little guy?

Not little.

] Oh, hello Shallie. He's Homura, a homunculus. He's a treasure hunter who works for the Union. He's also an old friend.

Yes. Solle. Admirable friend.

Admirable, eh.

He just means we're good friends.

Oh! Well, it's nice to meet you! I'm Shallotte. I just started working here.

Nice to meet you. Shallotte.

You can just call me Shallie, everyone else does.

Then. Too many Shallies.

Huh? Too many?

Nevermind. Shallie. What work?

I wanted to help people in town, as an alchemist. I guess.

If need anything. Alchemy. Ask. I will help.

Are you sure, Homura? You're making an awful lot of promises.

I like. Adventure. Exciting. Growing alcehmists. Have good adventures.

Hehehe! Aww, you're interesting, Homhom!

Oh really. Your face. Interesting too. Shallie.

What? What about my face?! Why are you laughing!

He may look unassuming, but Homura is skilled and has a lot of experience. If you have trouble, you should consider asking him about it.

Oh, okay! Thank you so much!

So, is there a reason you're here today?

Oh, I was wondering if there were any interesting new jobs today.

I'm afraid not. Our more professional hunters are taking care of the hunting requests, and there's nothing we have interest in investigating at the moment.

Oh... I see.. Well, I guess I'll see you later then.

Shallie. Come with?

Oh, sure!

Shoot for the stars

Yes?

What should I do to save money?

If saving. Money. Or treasure. Goal is best. We do too.

So you're saying it's easier to save when I have a goal?

First. Save money. To buy shiny.

You and Miruca seem pretty grounded... Maybe that's the secret to success.

Sounds good. Shallie. Work hard.

What? You're not going to stop me? That doesn't seem quite right...

Really?

Hahh... I guess I should come up with a more realistic amount to save... (Hmm, what I can do to make that much money...?)

The grim traveler

Hey, Rose. On your way back from work?

Ah, we meet again, while you're still alive, Shallotte.

Well, we couldn't meet if I was dead!

Oh, well... That's not true...

Huh? Anyway, how's work?

Today was pretty good. Do you want to see all the newly recovered items?

Sure, but I'm trying to save money.

Oh, don't worry, all of my items are very affordable.

Where do you find all of these things?

Oh, different places... You can use these items for alchemy, correct?

Yes, but... I don't think I can use them effectively now. Sorry Rose, I think I'll only buy the recipe book.

Oh, that's quite okay. I'm sure we'll meet again before we die.

Okayyyyy... Thanks.

You want to introduce me to somebody?

I know. They will help. Shallie. I know best information. In Stellard. Trust me.

Okay... So where is this person?

A long walk. Solice Trade Camp.

Trade camp? You mean this person is a merchant?

Yes. Sells many useful things. Grateful.

Oh, okay! Let's go.

Trading post. Just beyond here.

Why is this place called the "Land of Falling Stars"?

A lot of meteorite fragments have been found in this area. It's a valuable source of materials for alchemists like Miruca.

I wonder if we'll find anything like that...

Aw, it doesn't look like there are very many materials around here.

Well, I guess we came at a bad time. Still, we should continue on the trading post.

Wait. Let me help. With fighting.

When you attack. Combine to be more powerful!

Catch monsters. Off-guard!

Is there anything else we need to do here?

No, I think we can move on now.

Traveler of the seas

Over there.

Huh?

Rose!!

Yes?

(Whoa, I didn't even notice her... It's like she doesn't even exist...?)

Oh, Homura. I see you're still surviving.

I never die.

Mm, how brave of you. And who is this young lady?

I introduce. Shallie. From Lugion Village.

Hello... I'm Shallistera...

Another Shallie?

Oh...yes. Another girl in Stellard seems to be named Shallie. I've never met her, though.

Oh, I'm sure you'll meet someday. Oh, where are my manners... My name is Rosemia.

Rosemia...

Still... Lugion Village, you say? You've come quite a distance. Oh, I see. The strange ship in the harbor was yours...?

Yes, we caused an accident when we got here...

Stuff happens, that's life. Though I did end up losing work.

What? We caused you trouble, too?! I'm so sorry...!

Not to worry. Shallie. Rose is, "collector".

A "collector"?

That's kind of a tasteless way of saying it, Homura. I work helping people having trouble out in the Dusk Sea.

Wow, that job sounds wonderful!

Though many times, it's already too late... If that is the case, I give them a proper burial and collect their things.

I see...

I also collect living people sometimes... If something happened to you, I'm sure I could help...

I'm going to try to avoid that happening...

Armor. Weapons. Rare items. Ask Rose when needed.

Of course. Feel free to check what I have for sale anytime.Usually I'm here or in Stellard. I usually only leave when I hear about something wonderful on the Dusk Sea. Do you want to see what I have for sale now?

Of course!

Music: Sandy Sea -Trading Post-

Hmm... I'm not sure if I need anything right now, but if I do, I'll be sure to come back.

Oh, certainly. I'm sure we'll meet again, someday.

Well, see you later, Miss Rosemia.

Oh, you don't have to call me "Miss". Oh, there is a path to the north leading to a set of magnificent ruins. I'm sure you'll find something interesting along the way. Take out your map please...

Oh, that's very helpful. Thank you again!

Music: Sandy Sea -Cave-

Urgh, dragons...

Well, they shouldn't be too bad. As long as we have good equipment and are well-prepared, we should be able to beat them.

Too. Easy!

These are some really valuable ores... I'll have to come back here in the future!

Looks like the cave exit is just ahead.

This will make a good shortcut back to the ruins. It's easier to move across the Dusk Sea than some of the growth around Stellard.

Yeah. Well, we should head back to town to report to the Union.

Thank you, Homura.

You work hard. I like hard work.

Stop, you're embarrassing me!

Shallie. If have trouble. Tell me. Can help. Friend.

Okay, I will. Thank you again, Homura.

Goodbye.

Let's see...next, I need to pay the Union 1000 Cole.

One giant leap

Yep! I seemed to have managed, somehow.

You came off as more a "kept princess" at first, but you sure have proven yourself.

Thank you so much! (Raoul actually gave me a compliment!)

Okay, we'll give you the supplies so you can make your ship even better than it was before!

I'll be happy if it just works...

Haha! No worries, it's part of the deal. Just you see! Do you have any idea what you'l need for the ship?

Uhhh...

Hahaha, don't worry! I'll get in touch with the captain of your ship to see what you'll need. You might want to come back tomorrow for more work, though.

Oh, okay! Goodbye!

We're finally going to be able to repair our ship!

Shallie, you don't have to do so much work on your own, you can ask us for help.

Thanks, Kortes. But I actually like it. I feel like I'm fulfilling responsibilities. I'm still unsure about how we're going to save the village, but we'll find a way. I'll need your support...

Of course. Yes.

Also, uh, where's Teo?

He's double-checking the amount of supplies needed for repairs. We'll leave the ship to my dad so we can take care of other things while we wait.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 6, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Lotte's not in this one much because I completed the assignment as soon as I got it. If you've been watching the videos, my Lotte is sitting on 999999 Cole with little variation. Just assume she's been in Stellard earning money while Stera has been outside. It's actually really easy to get 999999 Cole without trying very hard for it in this game because you can grind money as much as you want without a time limit.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sylphid posted:

Lotte's not in this one much because I completed the assignment as soon as I got it. If you've been watching the videos, my Lotte is sitting on 999999 Cole with little variation. Just assume she's been in Stellard earning money while Stera has been outside. It's actually really easy to get 999999 Cole without trying very hard for it in this game because you can grind money as much as you want without a time limit.

I was about to say, that's not much of a goal when you're just one Cole away :v:

I'm surprised it's taking so long for both Shallies to join up. Usually your Atelier protags are quick to team up. Unless it's a gimmick thing like in AI2.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Looking forward to the inevitable confusion of having both Shallies in the same party.

Also, Sylphid, it looks like all of Solle's parts (or at least the one's where he's introducing Homura) are using Teo's portrait in this update:

Sylphid posted:

Part VI: The Financial Side of the Girls' Journeys

Oh, Shallie! His name is Homura. He's a homunculus.

He may look odd, but he's a capable treasure hunter who works for the Union.

The area around the village is deteriorating, so she came here to find a solution to the problem.

There also might be a way to get the materials you need for your ship... Through the Union.

-----

Oh, hello Shallie.

He's Homura, a homunculus. He's a treasure hunter who works for the Union. He's also an old friend.

He just means we're good friends.

Are you sure, Homura? You're making an awful lot of promises.

He may look unassuming, but Homura is skilled and has a lot of experience. If you have trouble, you should consider asking him about it.

So, is there a reason you're here today?

I'm afraid not. Our more professional hunters are taking care of the hunting requests, and there's nothing we have interest in investigating at the moment.

----

You came off as more a "kept princess" at first, buty ou sure have proven yourself.

Also spotted a typo in this line of Raoul's.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
So far I'm liking dark haired Shallie's story better. Perhaps because she has a clear goal, and some thing beyond herself to work towards.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

MShadowy posted:

Looking forward to the inevitable confusion of having both Shallies in the same party.

Also, Sylphid, it looks like all of Solle's parts (or at least the one's where he's introducing Homura) are using Teo's portrait in this update:

Also spotted a typo in this line of Raoul's.

That's embarrassing, but still not as bad as one of Agarest 2's updates where I got the avatars all wrong for one character in one update after I decided to go with transparent avatars midway through and never caught until I saw it in the archive. Ah well, it's been fixed, thanks.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

Wentley posted:

So far I'm liking dark haired Shallie's story better. Perhaps because she has a clear goal, and some thing beyond herself to work towards.

Agreed; I feel like it got moving, at least a little, much faster -- I mean, the game just now gave her something even remotely resembling an objective... That Sylphid's already about to clear.
Also, Homura is just fantastic, and I am very happy to see more significant homunculi.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
I have to admit I'm not sure I like the character designs in this game. Why does Rose wear a hat on her face? It looks really ridiculous. What's that huge rope thing around Jurie's neck? It can't be comfortable to wear. Lotte's outfit is kind of okay in a vacuum, but next to the rest of the cast it really clashes with the rest of the aesthetic of the series somehow.

Having a homunculus party member is pretty cool though. I'm really glad they did that.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

That homunculus is awesome. Also, you might have more people here if you mention in the Escha&Logy thread that this one exists... I only found this by going to the LP forum index, which I only do every couple months to begin with. A bunch of people that loved the previous games may not know this one has begun!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A homunculus adventurer? Good for that little guy. He gets levels and stuff just like people, right?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part VII: The Unsure Side of the Twin Adventures

Music: Attractive Beach Queen

What exactly are you trying to accomplish!?

That should be obvious!

(Huh? ...I wonder what happened.)

If you continue to let poor residents in from outside the city, public order in Stellard will only deteriorate!

The reason this town is doing so well is because those "poor residents" are here, turning their lives around!

There's nothing wrong with travelers, but that means leaving at some point! That's how the city developed!

So you're saying they're a burden or strain if they decide to live here!? Well, look who's talking!

You're still young, you don't understand what's behind governing a city!

And I don't think some fossil-brain has any right to talk about government!

I believe Stellard is more important than my own individual life!

I feel that Stellard is more important than anything else, too!

(But... It sounds like both of them actually feel the same way...)

(I guess sometimes things don't go well, even when you agree on something... Oh, right! I was going to go Miruca's atelier!)

Music; Daisies and Bells

Oh, Shallistera. How are you today?

Hello, Miruca. I'm very good today, thank you. I wanted to see how Imbuing works.

Certainly. What would you like to make?

Hmm...

Little Miss Moneybags

What are you so excited about?

Hey mom! Check it out! I set a goal for savings and I did it!

Wow, that's great, Shallie! You've always been able to do something if you put your mind to it.

Nooo, stop...!

I have something for you, for all your hard work.

Really? What is it?

Here, it's... More work!

Work...?

They're looking for people to search for something deep in the Dusk Sea. It's just a search, but the reward is huge!

There's no way to survive out in the desert like that...!

You're my daughter... You'll be fine!

Be back by dinner, please!

Hahh... Okay, mom... (If I keep making realistic goals, I can save even more money!)

Now let's take a look at that book Miruca gave me...

As long as you bring me the materials, I can make almost anything you want. I can't make things like you can in your atelier, but I can make stronger equipment to help you when you leave town.

There are so many options...

Once you've selected what you want to make and the materials you want to make it form, I can handle everything from there.

Almost done...

There you are. Of course, there's a fee for making equipment, but I don't charge very much.

It's so high-quality! I'll be sure to come here often.

You're welcome. ...Come again.

Okay. Thank you Miruca.

I want to get something to eat...

...Hahh.

What's wrong, Kortes? Worried?

It's not a big deal. I was just thinking. I didn't think I'd come back to Stellard again. And so soon, too.

By the way, what did you do when you came here last time?

Let's see... I stayed at Jurie's house, and went to a school here. Jurie was still a student then too, and her little sister Miruca was still young. I had to look after her a lot. I never thought Jurie would become a treasure hunter. There were a lot of things I didn't know, either, but I got used to it eventually.

So that's how your views changed!

...I don't think I'm that different from other people in the village.

I thought we needed to bring new ideas to the village, but I didn't think your ideas would be so strange.

It isn't "strange", dad. I just became a little more realistic.

Realistic...?

You know how alchemy is pretty much law in the village, right?

Y-yes.

When I first came here, everything was a surprise for me. I was like you right now, Shallie.

You weren't good with crowds?

I actually got used to that pretty quick...

Oh...

You'll get used to it, too.

You look ill, Miss Shallistera. Are you feeling bad?

N-no... It's nothing. I have some things to do. See you later.

Kortes, you really must be more sensitive to Miss Shallistera. You know how she is.

I didn't think she'd get down like that... Are you sure this is going to be okay?

There's nothing we can do but trust she'll move forward. She has a heavy responsibility on her shoulders, and she'll need our full support.

I know... Should I apologize when she gets back?

No, I don't think you'll need to do that. Just be more careful around her in the future.

Right...

(...So that's what they think... I have to keep moving forward for the sake of the village...)

Oh, you're back.

Yes, I have something I wanted to make. Do you know what kind of weapon Jurie uses?

...Yes, two swords. You want to make a new set for her?

These weapons are for Jurie, right? It seems like it'd be difficult to use two swords at the same time. Has she had special training?

...She's been training for a long time.

So it's due to years of training... Amazing. Beautiful and skilled in martial arts. I really admire her...

My sister is...

Did you say something?

...No. It's nothing.

(She seems...strange about her sister... Did something happen?) Do you know where she would be this time of day?

...Probably around the Union. She always seems to be there.

That makes sense. Okay, see you later Miruca.

See you.

Look, Jurie, Miruca made some new weapons for you.

Oh, these are great.

Um... Um, I... Is it really okay for you to be helping me like this?

...Why so worried all of a sudden?

You're really serious, and you know what you're doing... I feel like I'm not doing anything in return...

Don't worry about it. I'm not the type of person who does things for free.

Then why...

By which I mean, there're benefits for me by helping you. Like that Sand Ship... With that, I can go anywhere in the Dusk Sea. It's more than I could ask for.

I see... That's good...!

Also, you seem to think highly of me, but I'm not really that great. Back when I was a novice, a lot of people ended up helping me out, some without me knowing, even.

I'm not trying to "use" you...!

...Sorry, bad choice of words. I mean, I don't mind if you rely on me.

Jurie...

...I'm not very good at saying things so straightforward like this.

Thank you very much... I'm so happy you told us! I'm an only child, but... If I had an older sister, maybe it would feel like this...

... Well, thanks again for the weapons. Just let me know when you're headed out again.

Sure. (It felt like...she was trying to change the subject...)

Oh, I have some jobs at the Union to turn in. Want to come with me?

Huh? Something?

The amount of items usable by the Union members is determined by their contribution...

That's right. Keep up the good work!

Thank you... Um...

Do you need something?

No... It's nothing.

Very well, I'm off... I will make my report.

(I can't do it...)

Shallie. Down. Something wrong?

Oh, Homura...

When down. Eat sweets. Smile.

Thank you...

Mm. Solle. Sweets. Always good.

...Have you always been in this city, Homura?

Treasure hunter. Travel. Different cities. Everywhere.

Don't you find it hard to connect with people in new places?

Treasure hunter. Lone life. Anyway.

I... I don't know how to connect with people in the city... I feel like they'd hate me if I made a mistake...

O-okay...! Om... Ah... This is good...

Eat sweets. Together. Make friends. Shallie smile.

Friends...

Smile together. Become friends. Shallie. Friend.

Yes... Thank you, Homura...

Are you done, Shallie?

Y-Yeah...

Let's see, what I should do today...?

Oh, it's you... What do you need?

I'm here for training, of course!

Oh, right, training. Now I remember, yeah... Ahaha...

I want to become a great alchemist like you as fast as possible!

... U-um, well first...

This old broom...? Wait... S-swing it!? Does that even have anything to do with alchemy?!

Yeah, pretty much. You need a lot of persistence and strength to become a great alchemist.

I see...! Up until now, I've had a lot of motivation for things, but I always get worn out half way through...

Yup, that's right. Anyway, take this broom and have at it.

Master, where did you get this broom? It's kind of old...

It was my broom when I started learning ma- I mean, alchemy. My master made me learn alchemy using this broom!

You're giving me your broom!? Wow, I suddenly feel so motivated! I'll do my best!

She's not a bad kid, at least...

You know, when I'm holding this broom, I suddenly feel like a magician.

R-really!? Hey, it's important that you stop playing around and swing it 10,000 times!

O-okay!! Here I go!

Are you an idiot? I don't have the free time to watch you. Go do it at your house or something.

I understand! I'll come back to report after I finish! Now...where to practice? Mom's probably not going to like me swinging the broom around the house... Oh! When I go outside! I should get going! First, I need to accept some jobs.

Hello, Solle. You seem really busy!

I'm always busy. Oh, also, I just received some information from a dispatched survey team. There might be a shift in the environment around the city soon.

A change? What could happen?

We don't know yet. It's unknown whether anything will happen, but changes do occur in this region quite easily.

Huh... Do you know why?

It's my job to find out. That's why I was dispatched here.

The environment here shows signs of decline. Even the smallest change can affect many other places. However, if this region had already been consumed by the Dusk, the environment wouldn't change.

(I don't get it... But since I live here, I can't completely ignore it...)

When the environment changes, I'll get more information. Come talk to me if you need to know anything.

Um...do I need to do anything?

No, this information will come straight from our dispatched teams. The only thing you need to do is keep the information in mind when you go out on your investigations.

Shallotte. Head to the north. Find trading post.

Really? Let's get going then!

Just a little. Further.

Is that...Rose?

Hello Shallie. What are you doing here?

Hi Rose. Homura here is showing me around this area. I've already found some great materials.

Homura? You are helping out a lot these days. Didn't I see you with another girl a few days ago?

Yes. Am helping. Humans with their problems.

That's great. I hope you have a fun time with them.

Rose, you come here to sell materials, too?

Yes. This is a good spot for trading with people all over the Dusk Sea. It's nice to get out of Stellard every now and then, too...

Are you still selling all your materials?

Of course, take a look.

Hm, I'll take the Chain Armor and the recipe book.

Excellent choices. Will you be on your way now?

Yeah, see you later Rose.

Just go through. This cave.

Phew...we should probably head back to Stellard now.

Good idea. I'm tired...

Master ... I finished ...!

Waah! You're a total mess! Shallie, what happened to you!?

You're the one who told me... To swing the broom 10,000 times... Well, I was practicing a lot while we were out, and just now... I finished... Ugh...

N-Now that you mention it, I did say that...

Then do that mean I can move on to the next step!?

Huh!? That's... Um... N-not yet! It's still too early to teach you!

Whaaaat!?

The Grand Master always said the same thing to me...

Grand Master...? Wait, was she your master or something!? Wow! I'm sure she's an amazing alchemist!

Huh!? Uh, yeah, that's right! She's really crazy... At alchemy! Anyway, you just need to keep up the hard work. I"ll train you when I think you're ready.

Whaaat, when's that?

I mean, yes, thank you!

I admit it's impressive that you finished this assignment. I know you can do anything with that spirit.

Yes...! I'll work even harder!

So, what are you going to do now?

I was going to get something to eat.

Shallie...

I mean, I'm headed back to my house to work on more alchemy!

That's better. Now get going!

Yes, Master!

Oh, Shallie, Miruca is here.

Really!? I gotta tell her...!

She's still fairly young, but she's very capable with her work. But she's also usually very easygoing and cute. People from Central are so amazing!

What are you talking about? Just because someone's from Central doesn't mean they're skilled.

Huh? But isn't education and stuff a lot more organized in the big city?

True, there's documents and facilities established. But using them is up to each person's drive.

What kind of people did you meet in Central?

Too much money... So Central's filled with rich people. That's kind of amazing on its own.

What about it?

...Huh?

...I'm leaving. I'm going back to my shop if you need me.

Hm? Did Miruca leave already?

Yeah, we were talking about her time in Central, and I said something, and she left...

Oh my... Maybe she doesn't like Central very much?

I think so... She never likes talking about her time there, and always leaves when we start talking about it...

That's sad... Well, did you want something to eat?

Actually... I think might go to Miruca's.

Miruca, I...

Don't worry about it. Do you need something?

Y-yeah! I need you imbue my broom a little.

Certainly, let me see it...

Here, Shal, your weapon's done.

Yay, thanks! So you really DID base it off master's broom.

It might be a broom, but the handle is still a weapon. You can even use it to clean!

Duh, it's a broom, but... Ehehe, that makes my weapon sound really awesome!

Don't worry, I'll always find a way to make sure you aren't totally useless.

Aww, thanks. ...Wait, what's that supposed to mean?

More cleaning jobs. I know, I know, but someone has to do it, and right now most of our hunters are just too busy.

The time of the year for monster hunting?

Yep. Right around this time the monster populations get too large and we have to send out extermination teams. It's not really dangerous work, but we do need more staff this time of year.

Well, at least I'm not ONLY doing trash pickup.

Yep, you have a lot of jobs you've accepted. I hope you can fulfill them all.

You better believe it!

Now where should we start...?

Another busy day, huh?

Yes. I can't waste any time helping my village. Oh, this request is a little strange...

Which one? Oh, that...

Are you going to take that request? I'll explain it for you. It's for items that could help with exploration. It's intended for alchemists.

Items for exploration...

Tools for protection, medicine for recovery, lots of things that are useful for exploration. I've got a list here. I can't give you much unrelated information, but apparently she'll be working on a pretty tough objective.

I see... Jurie sure is amazing.

Anyway, we're counting on you. You seem good at this stuff, I'm sure you'll manage just fine.

Yes, I'll do my best!

By the way, have you met the other Shallie yet? She was just here.

Oh, I missed her? No, I haven't yet, but I know she's working as an alchemist.

That's right. With the volume of requests we get, having a second alchemist handling the requests is a big help. I'm surprised you two haven't met, though.

Me too, but I'm sure I'll see her someday. Oh...why is Homura out?

Oh, I guess he's helping the other Shallie right now. Well, I'm sure you'll be fine if you have Jurie around.

Yes. Well, I have to get started. See you later.

Good luck out there.

Wolves. Dangerous monsters.

Not as dangerous as that, though! Run!

I've never seen this monster before...

Shallie, watch out!

Is everyone alright?

I'm okay.

Yes. Thank you Kortes!

I'm surprised how many materials are here.

Well, it's easy when the three of us work together. I'm doing twice as much work as Kortes here, though.

I'm sorry I'm not as well-trained for this...

Don't worry, Kortes is a big help out here.

Well, he is good for something at least.

This basket...is getting kind of heavy. We should get back to town.

Raoul, I've finished Jurie's request. Here you go.

I'll let her know it's done. By the way, every now and then people you know will turn in requests. I'm sure it would be great to help them out. After all, they're doing more than helping you.

Yes. Everyone has their own things to do, and it's the least I can do for them...

It's a..."Small Relic"?

Yeah, I've heard things like this were valuable to alchemists. Thanks to you, my work is going to get a lot easier... Thanks again.

You work as a treasure hunter, right?

Yeah.

So, you need items like that because your work is dangerous...?

Well, yeah... I can't help that. There're lots of dangerous jobs.

But... You don't ever feel scared or anything?

Always.

So then why...

Why would you go that far to work as a treasure hunter?

...Because it's the easiest way making lots of money.

I guess so... Is that really it?

Hm... I guess not, but I've been doing this for a long time, and the Union is counting on people like me. Besides, being a treasure hunter can be a lot of fun sometimes, too.

Oh really?

Yeah, but right now, I have some things to do. I'll tell you some stories later, though.

Thank you! See you later.

(Jurie's over there... What kind of book is she reading?) I can't see it from here...

Hey, Jurie's reading books again.

I'm sure she's still trying to find pirate treasure or something.

Even we couldn't find it. Gotta hand it to her... She has persistence. To a fault.

(Pirate treasure...? What's that?) Um... Jurie? What kind of book are you reading?

It's a fairy tale.

A fairy tale...?

You can't underestimate these things. Legends in many places describing treasure are based on reality.

So that means there's a legend in this region too?

Ghost ship...!?

There aren't people or anything. The only things left are silence and darkness, and unfathomable treasure...

Does that mean you're looking for that treasure?

Yup. I'm still not sure where it is, but it's sleeping somewhere in the Dusk Sea... I've been looking for it a long time... I'll definitely find it.

(There's something that amazing? ...But does it really exist?) Why haven't you found it yet?

The Dusk Sea is a big place, and until I met you, I didn't have my own transportation I could use any time. Of course...

I know, we're trying to fix it. But I wonder where it could be...

This book is mostly just about how it sank and what's in there, but I'm sure I can find it. It is strange how no one has found it yet...

Oh! I forgot to tell you, I was going to go back to the ruins to the north again. Do you want to come with me?

Oh yeah. Let's get going.

Phew! That was a lot of alchemy! I'm tired...

Well, looks like we've completed our investigation.

Let's not...attack that big slag right now...

And while I'm here, the water in the village keeps drying up... Well... I can't just wait for someone to help me! I know there's something I can do myself!

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 6, 2016

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Glazius posted:

A homunculus adventurer? Good for that little guy. He gets levels and stuff just like people, right?

Yeah, I'm really liking your characterization of Homura. The foreshadowing of tension between the sisters also seems like a neat subplot.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Homura seems like a riot so far, I really like that little dude.

Also, this is getting to Comedy of Errors levels of missed connections between the Shallies. Do they ever meet up?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It does seem odd that both our protagonists have access to the same kind of alchemy, unlike Escha & Logy. Unless I've drastically misunderstood something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Raitzeno posted:

Also, this is getting to Comedy of Errors levels of missed connections between the Shallies. Do they ever meet up?

I'm betting at some point they do. Hopefully not the end.

• Locked thread