Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

StormDrain posted:

Why would the wheels affect the alignment of the steering wheel?

Edit, or rather how? I don't doubt you. I'm curious if you had different sized wheels or tires or what.

One of the front tires had a shifted belt, more than likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

STR posted:

One of the front tires had a shifted belt, more than likely.

This would be my bet.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
coolant leak in truck

radiator is likely original

installed new Hemi radiator because you should always upgrade if you can and it costs the same as a stock replacement

coolant still leaking from probably front cover of engine

I hate this truck

that is all

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Rear alignment affects the steering wheel too so rear hubs could've done it but the tire belt seems more likely

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Sell the truck. Use the money for another Century wagon (or the Oldsmobile version) and put the hot version of the 3900 in it.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

PBCrunch posted:

Sell the truck. Use the money for another Century wagon (or the Oldsmobile version) and put the hot version of the 3900 in it.

That's the plan, except I want to get a bubble body Century and LX9 swap it too. But I have too much of a conscience to sell it with a massive coolant leak.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
A mobile mechanic is on the way to diagnose the coolant leak. I mean, it's probably the water pump, but I have put a part on my cars in the past and it didn't fix the issue many times. I will let someone else tell me this time.

EDIT: It's the water pump. Also, for the low low price of $554, the guy would have done it for me. I think not.

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 22, 2022

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Well, that was loving awful. (click for bigger)

Date code 0216. I probably shouldn't have been running a tire that old, especially since I JUST complained about tires younger that that not that long ago. At least I didn't die.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
What happened? Blowout? Or is that a glove?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looks like it blew out in about 8 places

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Yeah, blowout. Couple tears on the inside of the tire as well. It gave slowly, thankfully. And I only got pelted by freeway debris once while changing it!

EDIT: Here's some better daylight pictures. As always, click for bigger.

As I said last night, this was luckily not a sudden catastrophic failure. I was able to pull over safely. No damage to me or George.

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 28, 2022

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Youch. Glad it wasn't catastrophic!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup, looks exactly like the failure I had on the Ranger twice - first on the ~4 year old tires that came with the truck, and then 30 miles later on the ~15 year old original spare. Both cases you could feel that corner sag but it wasn't ever difficult to control.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Was that blowout on the front or rear?

Consider getting a used tool truck cooling system pressure tester on ebay. I got a Matco unit in great shape for like $60.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

PBCrunch posted:

Was that blowout on the front or rear?

Left rear. It certainly could have gone worse.

Two new tires purchased and installed on the Grand Am wheels that had the cracking tires. The fronts from that set are still in good shape, with date codes from 2019, so I had the tire shop put them on the rear and the new tires on the front. I might need to have the now-rears rebalanced, since I'm getting a little bit of vibration on the highway.

I may have a buyer for the Ram lined up. A guy at work has one car that him and his [girlfriend/wife?] have to juggle since they both work. That would provide enough funding for the van brake swap, and the ported cylinder heads from WOT-Tech. I also kind of want to grab a proper parts car, not like that garbage pile I had a couple years ago. I found a white 1996 V6 Century wagon in the Los Angeles area on Facebook Marketplace that appears to be in decent shape and wouldn't be a huge hit to the wallet to pick up. Heaven forbid, but if I wreck this thing again, I might not be able to find wagon-specific body parts or glass unless I already have another one. The only "downside" is that the Marketplace car doesn't have a third seat, and consequently doesn't have the vent windows in the rear, so the cargo area glass is different.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Do some work for once instead of constantly complaining.

Services performed today: Replace blower motor, engine oil change, transmission oil/filter change. Click for bigger.

Begin.

Unhook the battery. The alternator has to be pulled to R&R the motor.

Belt off.

Alternator. It's much easier to just unbolt its mounting bracket from the cylinder head.

Plenty of room.

Motor out. It did not spin freely and made the entire car vibrate when I turned it on.

Part of the reason it failed is that, a while back, one of the bolts for the dogbone engine mount somehow fled, and the engine leaned back, and the fan on the alternator ground into the blower motor, seen here.

All buttoned up.

Up we go. (Take note of the Duralast filter and Walmart oil. Only the best for George.)

I've talked about this before, but the pan on a 4T60E has TWENTY loving BOLTS holding it on. The filter is inside the transmission. If you don't have a drain plug (factory pans do not), it's an absolute mess to drain. Mine is Dorman branded, but a couple other outfits carry pans with drain plugs. If you have a car with a 4T60E, do yourself a favor and get one of those pans.

Then it was time to break this bad boy out.

Quinn digital torque wrench. I bought it last year but haven't really had the chance to use it. It beeps rapidly when you get close to the selected torque specification, then a solid tone when you're there, which was super annoying at first, but I got used to it. Pan to case torque spec is 151 inch pounds.

Engine: Wix 51040 filter and six quarts of Walmart high mileage full synthetic 5W-30.

Transmission: Duralast TF207 filter and five quarts of Dexron VI (recommended by the transmission builder) and a bottle of Lucas.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I have such a soft spot for these cars, they remind me of a more carefree time. My parents bought a 1988ish (maybe?) green/green Cutlass Cruiser wagon from my grandparents in the early 90’s and I loved it so much.

You’re doing the lords work, I wouldn’t have the patience for such epic GM shitgineering these days.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Left Ventricle posted:

Up we go. (Take note of the Duralast filter and Walmart oil. Only the best for George.)

I've talked about this before, but the pan on a 4T60E has TWENTY loving BOLTS holding it on. The filter is inside the transmission. If you don't have a drain plug (factory pans do not), it's an absolute mess to drain. Mine is Dorman branded, but a couple other outfits carry pans with drain plugs. If you have a car with a 4T60E, do yourself a favor and get one of those pans.

Nothing wrong with the oil and filter - Walmart's Supertech oil is made by Warren or Mobil, depending on the part of the country (it'll have a W on the bottom of the bottle if it's Warren). It's not the best oil you can get, but for the money it's fine, it's API SP on the latest stuff, and even meets dexOS 1 and 2. When I worked at HEB (our regional grocery store), every time our employee discount went up to 25% (usually a couple of times a year), I'd clean out the store on their store brand oil, which is also made by Warren (probably nearly identical formulation to the Supertech oil made by Warren). I finally used the last of it during my last oil change; mine's old enough that it's probably not SP (likely API SM or SN), but it's fine.

Their filters are US-made Champion filters; I feel better using them vs an orange can Fram, though physically they're smaller than the OEM Ford filter I prefer to use (and haven't been able to find lately). (e: just noticed it's an air filter, but it's still a US made Champion filter)

Ford's AOD/4R7xW transmissions don't have a drain plug either - Dorman also makes a new pan with a drain plug, but Ford also custom made a pan for fleet trucks with a drain plug (nicknamed the U-Haul pan). I've been trying to track down one of the U-Haul pans for a reasonable price; the Dorman ones get powder coated with the plugs in the pan, and wind up damaging the threads when you remove the plug for the first time. Once I get a pan with a plug (be it Dorman or Ford) I'll be getting a Motorcraft filter. I have no idea when this transmission was last serviced..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 9, 2022

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Left Ventricle posted:

Despite all the dumb poo poo the previous owners did on my Nova, some kind soul replaced the trans pan with one that included a drain plug. It's such a simple little thing but it makes such a huge quality of life difference.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
1996 Buick Century

P0502 Vehicle Speed Sensor A low input
P0503 Vehicle Speed Sensor A Intermittent, erratic, or high input

Symptoms:
"Service Engine Soon" light illuminated
Speedometer, odometer, trip odometer inoperative
Transmission shifting inoperative/erratic

Suddenly. Stuck in third, then first, then third. That made the trip home from work today, uh, interesting.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Especially if it decided to go for 1st at highway speeds.

Would it go into 1st if you put the shifter in 1/L? Or just 3rd?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
At first it behaved like it did a few years ago when the fuse for the quad driver popped. Starts in third, access to 2nd and 3rd via manual shifting. Then I shut it off, started it up, and it was stuck in first. After annoying everyone in the city by doing 20 mph with my hazards on for a few miles, I gave it the beans so I could get up to a higher speed and coast. Around 31 mph or so it shifted into third, and I left it there. (speeds verified with a GPS speedometer app)

The cause is a broken wire to the VSS. I will have to hire someone to repair that, because I don't gently caress with wiring.

In the meantime, I had little choice but to finally put a new water pump on the Ram, since I still need to get to work for the rest of the week. This went well, except for the battery being stone dead. Jumper cables hooked up to the wagon eventually got it started, and I left it running for something like a half hour, driving to the gas station for fuel and back home. I shut it off, and it wouldn't restart. Bad battery. $130 later it's fine.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Mobile mechanic repaired the VSS wire, all is well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Despite all the dumb poo poo the previous owners did on my Nova, some kind soul replaced the trans pan with one that included a drain plug. It's such a simple little thing but it makes such a huge quality of life difference.

It’s a great idea until you take it to a Jiffy Lube and end up with no transmission fluid and double the engine oil - I never would but you don’t know what the next owner will do. I always paint marker any additional drain points now when I’m under a new car.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Cruise cable and module from a 2001 Aurora. This will fit the big throttle body.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

This popped up on my youtube feed and it immediately made me think of this thread. Lovely GM V6 frankenolds Alero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uByyyuiLL8A

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It’s a great idea until you take it to a Jiffy Lube and end up with no transmission fluid and double the engine oil - I never would but you don’t know what the next owner will do. I always paint marker any additional drain points now when I’m under a new car.

Oh god you're giving me flashbacks. Shop I used to work at had a customer that was in every other weekend for an oil change. His job was basically road trip life so he was the 5 year old 600,000 mile car person.

One. Single. Time. The new guy drained his transmission on accident. He got a free transmission fluid change, caught without starting anything empty. No harm no foul right?

Every single visit after that

Peter "now, there's a drain"
Whoever had to work on it that day "yeah we remember don't drain the transmission there's plugs for both"
Peter not pausing or missing a beat "on the transmission too. It's over here on this side" points
Me trying to summon laser eyes of hate "..."
Peter "now the oil drain plug is over on this side" points
Me still glaring "... yep I remember"
Peter "now make sure you actually drain the oil. I'm just here for an oil change. And filter too. It's over here." Points again.

It was a race shop that did some maintenance. Anyone who couldn't make a race weekend was teased with "someone's gotta not drain Peter's transmission Saturday" and a pat on the back.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Mental Hospitality posted:

This popped up on my youtube feed and it immediately made me think of this thread. Lovely GM V6 frankenolds Alero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uByyyuiLL8A

Thanks for this. Once I am "finished" with the wagon, I might hit him up. Finished, though, means the interior needs to be in much better shape.

Not much to report. The wagon is sidelined due to lack of AC, and I'm driving the Ram for the summer. The Ram has been giving me a gas cap warning, even after replacing it. Still trying to figure that out, since I can't smog it until I do.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Left Ventricle posted:

The Ram has been giving me a gas cap warning, even after replacing it. Still trying to figure that out, since I can't smog it until I do.

evap line not connected/cracked, fuel filler hose damaged, or a damaged charcoal canister maybe?

idk the details of that vehicle's emissions system, but i would start thinking along those lines

i think that CEL really means that it can't pull vacuum on the fuel tank, so i would think of it like a vacuum leak

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pretty much yeah. Most cars with a gas cap warning throw that light if there's a large evap leak immediately after adding enough gas for the PCM to notice.

My Crown Vic occasionally throws it with the lovely Autozone cap I have on it. I need to just order a Motorcraft cap already.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There's a thread for the Buick Century?
drat, I've owned like two of them! (Both early 90's versions that were like 20 years old when I bought them)

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

HootTheOwl posted:

There's a thread for the Buick Century?
drat, I've owned like two of them! (Both early 90's versions that were like 20 years old when I bought them)
Thanks for coming! Make sure you start at the beginning for the full experience.

Check engine/gas cap warning no longer coming up in the Ram. Smog ready. Must have just needed a few cycles to figure itself out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If there's anything I've learned about owning a cheap car, it's to smog it as early as legally possible before it pops a check engine light again.

TX lets us smog* up to 90 days before our registration expires (*in emissions counties, which covers every major metro except San Antonio and Midland/Odessa). I could have waited until the last day of May, but I got it done in March. I've had an on and off again CEL since, of course.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 1, 2022

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Left Ventricle posted:

Check engine/gas cap warning no longer coming up in the Ram. Smog ready. Must have just needed a few cycles to figure itself out.

lol jk light came back I'll check it in the morning

EDIT: P0456 again. No patience for this.

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 2, 2022

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Even through all of these issues over the years, I love reading this thread and seeing progress toward a dope rear end vehicle. Keep it up.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

TheShazbot posted:

Even through all of these issues over the years, I love reading this thread and seeing progress toward a dope rear end vehicle. Keep it up.

Is your username a reference to Tribes? If so, I love this thread even more.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Ram passed* smog.

*:ssh:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
New wheels and tires. Some of you may recall I acquired some 17" alloys from a 2017 Ram last year. I finally got around to putting them on.

Rides a lot better now that it's not rolling on 6-year-old tires. Side effect: speedometer correction. It used to read 2 mph fast across the range. Now it's accurate.

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 27, 2022

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
hey guys I need to pay my rent buy my truck pls

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4015666

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1864991740517705

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/d/north-las-vegas-2008-dodge-ram/7549609166.html

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That was a drat good price man. Looks like you got it sold already if your marketplace post is accurate.

That'd be a $10k+ truck here.