Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Left Ventricle posted:

3/4 second improvement over stock.

iwentdoodie posted:

How...how is it that slow

Hard street tires, highway-geared automatic, 8-way power seats. Still faster than before I started, which was 18.34. Baby steps.

e:quoted for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

iwentdoodie posted:

How...how is it that slow

Engine's already figured out that its in a Buick.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Left Ventricle posted:

3/4 second improvement over stock.

kastein posted:

supercharger

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

kastein posted:

supercharger

Baby steps. Suspension, tires, transmission, driver skill, weight reduction. Then POWERRRRRRRRRRRR. All in due time, friends.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Engine's already figured out that its in a Buick.

:golfclap:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
poo poo, I bet that thing can swallow a 50 shot. Does the ECU like HPTuners?

What happened with the reaction time there?

I wish we had a drag strip here still so we could do an altitude-corrected "slowest car in AI" challenge. It's probably one of the stupid ACVWs though :(

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 4, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

poo poo, I bet that thing can swallow a 50 shot. Does the ECU like HPTuners?

I wish we had a drag strip here still so we could do an altitude-corrected "slowest car in AI" challenge. It's probably one of the stupid ACVWs though :(

Frozenphil, probably.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Does the ECU like HPTuners?
No idea. I bought it from Milzy Motorsports. It's a 1997 Monte Carlo PCM, repinned for my stock harness, and the only tuning I know of that he did on it is for the L67 injectors and a Grand Am shift table. I don't have any tuning equipment or knowledge. The problem is finding a shop locally that will touch this, since it's not a Civic or Camaro.

:downs: basically. Some "git gud scrub" is in order.

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 4, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well, reaction time only matters if you're actually racing the car next to you. If you're measuring the car's improvement, it doesn't affect anything else.

HPTuners lists the 1997 Monte as a supported vehicle, so you could possibly have some luck finding a LSx tuner already familiar with HPT.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Get.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKYMgfjCd7E

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I agree with everything said in that video.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
GodDAMMIT I came here to post that!

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Also this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGUaX6X0GgY

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

The gently caress did he find a Century that wasn't already in LV's driveway?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
:krad:

Left Ventricle posted:

A box was dropped on my porch by Fedex. Hailing from the far-flung wasteland of Massachusets.

What's in the box? :iiam:

Six of these unnecessarily long screws secured the lid.

Since I don't have any fancy power tools it took me like 20 minutes to unscrew them.

Holy poo poo what the hell

It's a supercharger?!?!?!?

Boost in, gasket out.

:v:

Dickbutt.

This is a hint, isn't it? That I need more POWEEEERRRRRR in my life. Let's mock it up on my junk engine.

Hmmm, something doesn't seem right here. How about a live fire exercize.

Nope, not there either.

:getin:

KEN! :argh: Ken Stein you absolute madman. You're beautiful. I love you. Have my manbabies. :swoon:

Questions! How did you even get my address? Did you make that crate?! What year is the SC from?

omg best Christmas ever

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

This goes some (small, but significant) way to redeeming 2016. Awesomeness.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea I like where this is headed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein ends 2016 on a bangin' note. :drat: !

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Absolutely did not see that coming, but gently caress yeah :getin:

These AI threads where people do good work on otherwise unloved cars are my favorite. Always psyched to see this thread and Boaz MacPhereson's Second Chances and Second Dances, or: Yeah, it's got four doors, so what? thread rise to the top of my bookmarks. :patriot:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Nuevo posted:

Absolutely did not see that coming, but gently caress yeah :getin:

These AI threads where people do good work on otherwise unloved cars are my favorite. Always psyched to see this thread and Boaz MacPhereson's Second Chances and Second Dances, or: Yeah, it's got four doors, so what? thread rise to the top of my bookmarks. :patriot:

Oh, you. :wink:

LV, I assume that last pic is of the swapped car, yeah? You could have the only supercharged swapped Century...

... in the whuurrrld.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

LV, I assume that last pic is of the swapped car, yeah? You could have the only supercharged swapped Century...

... in the whuurrrld.
Pics of the SC are on, in order: white wagon's broken original engine (won't work), white wagon's current engine (won't work), gold wagon ( :q: ). Gold wagon or yellow sedan are the candidates, since the SC is from a Buick 3.8, and those two have Buick engines. Adapting the Buick SC to a Chevy engine is not impossible, but it's not really worth it for the amount of work necessary. You have to make your own lower intake manifold, for example.

If Ken pops in and tells me what year car the SC came from, that will tell me if I can even use it. If it's from a Series I L67 (92-95), I can use the heads and lower intake from a Series I on my 3.3 block. It's still an uphill battle from there, but feasible.

However, the gold wagon has an interesting future. I am in the planning and theory stages of my sekrit progect. It's gonna be a doozy. :ninja: ITS A SEAKRET DONT ASK ABOUT THE PORJECT :ninja:

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
We should ask 14" after he gets home if he wants to go do some more Hunter S. Thompson videos.

If you need anything to make this happen let me know.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Left Ventricle posted:

Pics of the SC are on, in order: white wagon's broken original engine (won't work), white wagon's current engine (won't work), gold wagon ( :q: ). Gold wagon or yellow sedan are the candidates, since the SC is from a Buick 3.8, and those two have Buick engines. Adapting the Buick SC to a Chevy engine is not impossible, but it's not really worth it for the amount of work necessary. You have to make your own lower intake manifold, for example.

If Ken pops in and tells me what year car the SC came from, that will tell me if I can even use it. If it's from a Series I L67 (92-95), I can use the heads and lower intake from a Series I on my 3.3 block. It's still an uphill battle from there, but feasible.

However, the gold wagon has an interesting future. I am in the planning and theory stages of my sekrit progect. It's gonna be a doozy. :ninja: ITS A SEAKRET DONT ASK ABOUT THE PORJECT :ninja:

The 3.1 and (I think) 3.3/4 motors are 60 degree designs, so the manifold probably won't work. However, I want to say the blower for the V6 in the 90's thunderbirds wasn't even mounted on the motor.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
:hellyeah:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Just wanna say my U-Body and I are fully on board with everything you're doing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Nice, I haven't seen a dustbuster van in ages.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I had one a few years ago.

1995 Trans Sport, Buick 3.8. I'd probably still have it, if not for the booster and master failing at the same time, and the AC compressor seizing and the belt tension being so tight that it locked the rest of the accessories solid and the engine wouldn't crank back over. I didn't even have the $40 to buy a bypass pulley at the time, so off to the yard it went in 2012.

Great when it worked. It even returned 27 mpg highway, two higher than its EPA rating of 25.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Left Ventricle posted:

I had one a few years ago.

1995 Trans Sport, Buick 3.8. I'd probably still have it, if not for the booster and master failing at the same time, and the AC compressor seizing and the belt tension being so tight that it locked the rest of the accessories solid and the engine wouldn't crank back over. I didn't even have the $40 to buy a bypass pulley at the time, so off to the yard it went in 2012.

Great when it worked. It even returned 27 mpg highway, two higher than its EPA rating of 25.

More importantly they look really cool, especially for a minivan

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
So Ken said in the AISS thread that the supercharger is from a Series 2 3.8, which is ground-up different from the Series 1 and the 3.3 in my cars... :( I may be able to use it at some later date, but it doesn't look like it's in the cards right now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, sorry about that :( I didn't pick it up looking for it to fit your project, luck of the draw. Had no idea they were even different.

Hell, if you sell it on ebay or swap it for one you can use or sell it and use the money to buy one you can use (or something else, up to you) it certainly won't hurt my feelings. I sent it to you because I felt like it and figured you would at least have a chance of using it, otherwise I was going to end up trying to sell it to broke ricer idiots at swapmeets for the next year or with it wasting space in my spare bedroom because I'm never going to get around to using it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I could swear an early s2 SC could fit onto a S1, but not the pre-s1 (86-88) motors.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

kastein posted:

Yeah, sorry about that :( I didn't pick it up looking for it to fit your project, luck of the draw. Had no idea they were even different.

Hell, if you sell it on ebay or swap it for one you can use or sell it and use the money to buy one you can use (or something else, up to you) it certainly won't hurt my feelings. I sent it to you because I felt like it and figured you would at least have a chance of using it, otherwise I was going to end up trying to sell it to broke ricer idiots at swapmeets for the next year or with it wasting space in my spare bedroom because I'm never going to get around to using it.
No worries! I appreciate that you thought enough of me to send it. Thank you. And I was hoping you'd say I could sell it. :)

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I could swear an early s2 SC could fit onto a S1, but not the pre-s1 (86-88) motors.
I am not a Buick V6 guru, but my understanding is the S2 engines have a different block, head, and intake design, so nothing interchanges with S1 engines. Like I said, in order to make it work on my 3.3, which is closely related to a S1 3.8, I would need to swap on S1 L67 heads and lower intake.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Good news everyone! I partially participated in the Roadkill Zip Ties event. I drove out to Irwindale Speedway in the wagon. It got 27 mpg, which is slightly lower than its EPA rating, but still good. They even took and posted a picture of my lame-o dad wagon on their website! I spoke briefly with Freiburger about my car and he was "impressed" that I did all the research and work myself. Even if he was just blowing smoke up my rear end, it's nice to hear.

There was a lot of really cool stuff out there, which I'll probably be posting in the Awesome thread. I had to break off and head home after the lunch stop in Blythe though, so I didn't get the full Roadkill experience. Still had a great time.

Then, of course, the fun has to be tempered. The bad news: at some point overnight Friday, someone who doesn't know how to drive hit my other car.

It is normally parked where all the oil stains are, probably at least ten feet away.

Various bits of their lights, and tire marks.

The damage, which is... surprisingly minimal, considering how far the car had been pushed.

I'm not allowed to have nice things, I guess. I could have filed a police report, but they wouldn't investigate it. The police report would be for presenting to my insurance company when I file a claim, but I only carry minimum required insurance because it's a 25-year-old Century. So I instead get to seethe with impotent rage at some random dickhead who can't be bothered to even leave a note saying "sorry I hit your car" or even "why the gently caress was your car parked in my way".

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
loving god drat son of a bitch people are lower than frog's balls.

pull the bumper, go easy with a heatgun and you can waft out the wrinkles from the back side. inspect the retractor, it *should* be ok. Goof off will handle the scuffs well. try it on a small area to make sure it doesnt take your paint with it

The best thing that offsets more power? More plate. they'll be in pieces next time, and it'll look mad max as gently caress.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Man what assholes but yea at least the damage wasnt too bad, poor old yeller :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress that guy for not even leaving a note, and you should've made it all the way out. Was fun as hell and I never even managed to get face to face with Freiburger or Finnegan.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Do you not have uninsured motorist coverage? I have liability-only and my policy includes that. I think that might handle hit-n-run.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's a 25yo Buick, won't most insurance companies try to total it even with that amount of damage?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Raluek posted:

Do you not have uninsured motorist coverage? I have liability-only and my policy includes that. I think that might handle hit-n-run.

Fermented Tinal posted:

It's a 25yo Buick, won't most insurance companies try to total it even with that amount of damage?

Basically this. There are likely no witnesses, I don't even know what kind of vehicle hit it, who cares about some lovely old Buick, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We care. :(