Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Left Ventricle posted:

The 3.3 is a smaller displacement version of the 3.8, which is a Buick design dating form the late 60s.

Does that mean that a supercharged late 3800 just plugs right in? :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SouthsideSaint posted:

Your 4t60e is probably leaking from the axle seal. And as for the white car having issues with starting I would definitely check the fuel filter if not already done. And I love every time you update this thread. So many good memory's had in the back of a cutlass or century a body. Also my first accident was in a 88 of the same vintage.

Was your first accident also a good memory in the back seat?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Left Ventricle posted:

I still need to splice in a new connector for the throttle position sensor. The LG8/LA1 use a completely different connector than the L82. The number and colors of the wires are the same, so I just need to match them up.

I don't suppose they have the same pins but different plastics? That would mean you could just de-pin the original connector and then jam them into the new connector body without having to splice any wires. But if the bodies take different pins, I suppose that defeats that plan.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Left Ventricle posted:

Stock connector is on the right, new one is on the left.

Oh, yeah. Totally different. Oh well, a good splice is not a crime.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

poo poo, I bet that thing can swallow a 50 shot. Does the ECU like HPTuners?

What happened with the reaction time there?

I wish we had a drag strip here still so we could do an altitude-corrected "slowest car in AI" challenge. It's probably one of the stupid ACVWs though :(

Frozenphil, probably.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Do you not have uninsured motorist coverage? I have liability-only and my policy includes that. I think that might handle hit-n-run.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i was able to get mine off with a wrench and no fancy special tool, but i dont remember exactly what combination of stuff did it. i think i wrapped the water pump pulley with a dead fan belt, and vise gripped it to the frame or something? or maybe wedged a piece of wood wrapped with dead belt between the water pump pulley and crank pulley

there was some combination of wrench on the big nut and old belt providing friction to the pulley, lol :shrug:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Suburban Dad posted:

It's for your daughter. Why not just do the easy thing and stock for stock replace it? .2L probably just uses more gas with hardly any discernable difference otherwise.

Buy you do your thing, AI. :)

i guess the main thing to me is, does she want to hotrod it, or does she just want easy/cheap wheels?

dropping a working motor into it sounds like a lot less work than figuring out a swap, and then you can use that saved time to work on your own stuff. but if she's into the project as a project, then it could be a cool father/daughter thing to put actual work into. even if its a cavalier lmao

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Left Ventricle posted:

This was the general consensus when I put the 3.5L into my Century, and it's been running for going on five years now and I get the same fuel economy as the stock 3.1L did.

Looking into it a bit further shows that it's not really a drag and drop operation like the 3.5 was. Need to use the L61 (2.2) head on the LE5 (2.4) because the LE5 has VVT, with an LE5 head gasket (2mm bore difference), and finagle a 7x trigger for ignition, since the LE5 uses 58x. Maybe other things, but that's all I could find on old threads on j-body.org and Pennock's Fiero Forum. It's not a documented swap, it seems.

She's down for whatever, but you're probably correct that just getting another L61 is the fastest way to get this pile back on the street. I was just sort of spitballing, since another ~35 hp would be cool.

dont get me wrong, i will never argue against more power. i just wasnt clear on whether she would actually care at all, or be interested in the swap, as opposed to just wanting an appliance. if she's into it, and you have an idea of what it takes, fucken go for it

it sounds like you can grab a complete 2.5 and 2.4 for almost nothing, see if you can lego together a solution. if its too much work, put the new 2.2 back together and slam it in

working with junkyard parts from common cars like this makes the opportunity cost of trying something very very low, all it costs is time

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Steely Dad posted:

I'm glad of it because this thread rules

this

plus i chuckle at the title pun every time i see it, so putting it right at the top is an improvement to my forums experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Left Ventricle posted:

The Ram has been giving me a gas cap warning, even after replacing it. Still trying to figure that out, since I can't smog it until I do.

evap line not connected/cracked, fuel filler hose damaged, or a damaged charcoal canister maybe?

idk the details of that vehicle's emissions system, but i would start thinking along those lines

i think that CEL really means that it can't pull vacuum on the fuel tank, so i would think of it like a vacuum leak