Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

cursedshitbox posted:

I can't not see goatse grille.

:fuckoff:

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Advent Horizon posted:

You’re a bad influence. Now something expensive will break and we’ll all be entertained by Lv’s pain.

He's already broken everything expensive on his fleet. :v:

Upside, most of his fleet is old GM stuff, so parts are dirt cheap (when you can find them these days). And GM legos....

(love ya LV, glad to see these A bodies getting some love :3:)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: yeah not gonna threadjack, sorry LV

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 5, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sounds like you've lost a ground somewhere in the back. I'm betting your brake lights in general are also acting fucky, at least when the parking lights/head lights are on. With them off, they can ground through the parking lights (so nearly full brightness, but probably throws the resistance off enough to gently caress with the CC). With them on, I bet they're trying to ground through your rear defrost and somehow turning it on.

Your rear parking lights are probably grounding through the brake lights too. Backup lights coming on dimly at random as well?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 26, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Now you get to figure out why the fuse popped!

... right? :ohdear:

I seem to remember something about the turn signal switch itself popping fuses when it gets flaky on that era GM, but maybe I'm mixing that up with how the wiper switch failed spectacularly on my mom's early 90s Cadillac.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Disconnect one of the wires to the defrost grid, that'll fix the issue with it turning on with the cruise... though your tail lights might stop working at the same time. :v:

Or ignore it.

You do need to find that missing ground soon though. If you have a wiring diagram, I'm betting your rear lights and rear defrost all ground through the same wire. You may be able to get away with splicing into the ground of the tail lights or rear defroster, and using a self tapping screw + wire + eyelet crimp to create a new one. It's a hack that just covers up the real issue, but I may have done something similar before...

I'm betting you're going to find the bad ground in whatever section of wire is causing the turn signal fuse to pop - :10bux: says it's related, and it'll still randomly pop a fuse when those wires rub. Out of curiosity, is the CHMSL part of the liftgate? If so, I'd start checking the wiring to the liftgate (specifically start with the section that goes from the body to the liftgate) - it's a super common place for wires to rub against each other, and I wouldn't be surprised if GM powered it from the same fuse.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

StormDrain posted:

Why would the wheels affect the alignment of the steering wheel?

Edit, or rather how? I don't doubt you. I'm curious if you had different sized wheels or tires or what.

One of the front tires had a shifted belt, more than likely.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Left Ventricle posted:

Up we go. (Take note of the Duralast filter and Walmart oil. Only the best for George.)

I've talked about this before, but the pan on a 4T60E has TWENTY loving BOLTS holding it on. The filter is inside the transmission. If you don't have a drain plug (factory pans do not), it's an absolute mess to drain. Mine is Dorman branded, but a couple other outfits carry pans with drain plugs. If you have a car with a 4T60E, do yourself a favor and get one of those pans.

Nothing wrong with the oil and filter - Walmart's Supertech oil is made by Warren or Mobil, depending on the part of the country (it'll have a W on the bottom of the bottle if it's Warren). It's not the best oil you can get, but for the money it's fine, it's API SP on the latest stuff, and even meets dexOS 1 and 2. When I worked at HEB (our regional grocery store), every time our employee discount went up to 25% (usually a couple of times a year), I'd clean out the store on their store brand oil, which is also made by Warren (probably nearly identical formulation to the Supertech oil made by Warren). I finally used the last of it during my last oil change; mine's old enough that it's probably not SP (likely API SM or SN), but it's fine.

Their filters are US-made Champion filters; I feel better using them vs an orange can Fram, though physically they're smaller than the OEM Ford filter I prefer to use (and haven't been able to find lately). (e: just noticed it's an air filter, but it's still a US made Champion filter)

Ford's AOD/4R7xW transmissions don't have a drain plug either - Dorman also makes a new pan with a drain plug, but Ford also custom made a pan for fleet trucks with a drain plug (nicknamed the U-Haul pan). I've been trying to track down one of the U-Haul pans for a reasonable price; the Dorman ones get powder coated with the plugs in the pan, and wind up damaging the threads when you remove the plug for the first time. Once I get a pan with a plug (be it Dorman or Ford) I'll be getting a Motorcraft filter. I have no idea when this transmission was last serviced..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 9, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Especially if it decided to go for 1st at highway speeds.

Would it go into 1st if you put the shifter in 1/L? Or just 3rd?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pretty much yeah. Most cars with a gas cap warning throw that light if there's a large evap leak immediately after adding enough gas for the PCM to notice.

My Crown Vic occasionally throws it with the lovely Autozone cap I have on it. I need to just order a Motorcraft cap already.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If there's anything I've learned about owning a cheap car, it's to smog it as early as legally possible before it pops a check engine light again.

TX lets us smog* up to 90 days before our registration expires (*in emissions counties, which covers every major metro except San Antonio and Midland/Odessa). I could have waited until the last day of May, but I got it done in March. I've had an on and off again CEL since, of course.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 1, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That was a drat good price man. Looks like you got it sold already if your marketplace post is accurate.

That'd be a $10k+ truck here.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

I did my time in my yout in un-air-conditioned cars here in TX. I won't be doing it again if I can help it.
Both the Crown Vic and the Outback have great AC.

My Outback's AC was marginal, but I think the compressor was pretty beat down. That, or your H6 version got a beefier AC system. I could never get the high side pressures to where they should have been..

The Vic's AC is fantastic, even though fins are literally falling out of the condenser. I should do something about that..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yikes. One of my greatest fears is losing a transmission line and not noticing until it's too late. Glad you caught it.

Sidenote, Ford got weird with their transmission coolers - they moved them into the AC condenser. The upside, I guess, is you don't run the risk of a strawberry milkshake. The downside is when the cooler pops, you have to recover the refrigerant* - turns what's usually a DIY friendly job into something a bit more advanced.

*if you don't loop the lines temporarily, or slap in an external cooler

**I learned that when trying to find a new ABS controller for my Crown Vic - was looking at the radiator and condenser, and "the gently caress is this poo poo?!" as I removed an ABS module..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yup. 05+ for sure, not sure about older models.

I'd be throwing in an external cooler too, though at that point, the AC is probably dead.... which, well, we're both in TX. We both know how well that goes here. We've hit 90 down here twice that I know of already, though I'm also ~180 miles south of you these days.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 1, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

“There are many people who started posting on this site as children who are now raising children of their own.”

What the gently caress. Now I REALLY feel old; I think imgur is my 4th or 5th image host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Left Ventricle posted:

Probably the 3.0, the worst variant of the venerable Buick V6. No power, poo poo reliability. Might be the worst engine GM ever made.

GM 2.8 V6 has entered the chat. I think it was a 2.8 anyway. 2.something V6. Little tiny V6.

An ex BF's Cavalier wagon (lovingly nicknamed the purple penis wrinkle - his mom had sideswiped something in it before handing it down to him, it was purple, the entire passenger side was wrinkled) had that.. thing. Not only did it have the typical GM torque converter lockup solenoid issue that every smaller FWD GM from the mid 80s to the early 90s had, if you sneezed, it left you stranded in ways that mechanics swore they'd never seen before. It was originally parked over the TCC solenoid issue; it went through maybe 5 or 6 shops, none ever fixed it. I was familiar with the issue and knew you could limp it along with no warning lights by just... unplugging the solenoid, once I found out it'd been parked for a few years I told him I could probably get it to drive again if he didn't mind me loving with it for an hour, and he'd have something to drive. The plug was outside of the transmission anyway. I did get it running, but it needed a fuel pump almost immediately. Also, me getting it running meant I didn't have to teach him how to drive stick on my car - I don't like other people driving my cars when they have a clutch... never have, and I've always been extra paranoid about my clutches. I have replaced ONE clutch in my life, and it was a "while I'm in here" job (wound up not being necessary - 160k and it was about half worn, but I already had the new parts). I have never worn one out, despite taking original clutches well north of 200k (300k in two cases).

The only thing that was reliable in that pile of crap was the AC. Even after sitting a few years, the AC was ice cold. Radio and tape player also still worked fine. I WANT to say it was an 89 or 90?

Once we put it back on the road, every loving tire (including the spare) blew one at a time. Made me a believer in AAA. I hated that car, but at least parts were really cheap for it. Somehow it blew roses out of the exhaust on 5+ year old gas, I'm still pretty sure the shop just shoved the sniffer into another car just so they could get it out of their lot (it'd been there for a couple of years; I'm the reason it finally got picked up and back on the road). Never had a problem with smog after the new fuel pump, but before the new fuel pump it would bounce between "tach is on zero, oil and alternator lights are flickering and it's trying to stall" and ~2000ish, surging so hard that you had to put both feet on the brake.

I'm sure if it'd been taken care of, it would have been an okay car. We got over a year out of it after it'd been parked for years, but FFFF I swore at it almost as much as CSB swore at his 550. Plenty of room for :quagmire: activities, but I hated that thing more than any car I've owned.

Said ex BF still doesn't know how to drive manual. He was 21 when we started dating, he's well into his 40s now and has kids in college. He blew up the engine in the car his dad handed down to him after the Cavalier died too (I thought a 3800 was up there with a Jeep 4.0 or Ford 300 on durability, but he killed one in 2LT Chevy that was borderline showroom condition).

e: well poo poo that turned into a rant I guess

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 24, 2023