Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Went to make coffee last Saturday morning, looked out the window, and saw this sitting there.

Why, it's my Andiamo 70 oven from Forno Bravo!

Much like the girls I used to date in high school, you can't take this thing all the way on your first try. You need to warm it up first. Specifically you need a long fire at 300°, 350°, 400°,450°, and 500°. This is to drive excess moisture out of the oven. If you run the thing up to full heat immediately upon receipt, you're going to break it.

So, I did my several low and slow fires. Yesterday, I realized I was done prepping the oven. Unfortunately, I had not made any pizza dough. I came up with a solution! Naan!

I whipped together a quick dough (water, yogurt, yeast, baking soda, salt, sugar, etc) and divided it into naan sized wads.

http://youtu.be/Myx3lOOnNuE

Pizza to come soon. This thing is awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That's loving sweet, I want naan in 45 seconds. How hard was it to put together?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
:vince:

It's beautiful.

Nice naan, by the way. Show pizza pics when you make it!

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Hed posted:

That's loving sweet, I want naan in 45 seconds. How hard was it to put together?

This one is the largest 100% assembled oven they make.

No assembly, just get started.

Something like 800 pounds, so she's a bit big. It's on paving stones.

The oven is on wheels so I can move it.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Boner time. WANT

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

Boner time. WANT

I need to upgrade my camera skills.

Trying to video with the iPhone while fiddling around with the dough is a bit challenging (and shaky-cam)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
how do you clean out the ashes?

also how do you start the fire?

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

mindphlux posted:

how do you clean out the ashes?

also how do you start the fire?

Clean the ashes with a shovel and a brush, much like a fireplace.

I start the fire like a campfire, set 2 larger logs in place, crumple newsprint, stack kindling, medium pieces, and full sized pieces.

Light, come back in 20 min.

A recommendation is that as the oven gets low (like below 350), re-stack the fire in the oven and let it "bake".

You'll drive off all the moisture in the wood and the fire will start easier and burn cleaner.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I want to make a wood oven off my ground-level deck but it is so far down the house project list and so high on cost/labor that it'll be a few years. Got the wifely nod to plant a small apple/cherry/pear orchard in the spring to ease my impatience for cool poo poo, at least.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sweet, now how much does one of these bad boys cost? 5k?

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Sweet, now how much does one of these bad boys cost? 5k?

I think delivered and installed and shipping and all that Jazz, $4000.

Like I said, way too much.

I wanted to build one for so long, but kids, job, wife, etc.

I decided to trade $$ for time and bought one already done.

Pizza dough is proofing and the sauce is made.

Pizza will have to wait until Thursday.

Goddamn back to school kid bullshit.

Back in the olden days, back to school was the first day. Show up, get schedule, figure poo poo out. Now, I'm taking days off work and/or leaving early to attend "back to school" events over and over and over.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

NosmoKing posted:

I think delivered and installed and shipping and all that Jazz, $4000.

Like I said, way too much.

I wanted to build one for so long, but kids, job, wife, etc.

holy dicklicking hell

I know that time v money feel, but $4000 seems like a lot for that thing
not that it's cool and all and hey you got what you want!

edit : and I guess thinking about it I'm sure the materials were at least around $500-800 so of course they're charging 4k

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

There was a thread in DIY and Hobbies where some goon built a pizza oven. It is a big ol' time investment, it seems. So I can easily see paying to skip to the fun part. Building it would be part of the fun for me because I'm a masochist. But still.

This is really awesome and I want some pizza pics.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Building one of those would be solidly filed under Type II Fun for me. It would be a total pain in the rear end during construction followed by sheer :smug: "yeah, I built that fucker" and :smaug: "what am I having for lunch? Fresh pizza out of my handmade wood oven. How about you?"

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
gently caress. I want one. That being said, I live in an apartment and have no $4000 to spend on a pizza oven so I guess I'll have to wait until I move somewhere cheaper (literally anywhere else in the world) and can get a back yard again.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Insanely cool. Love those ovens. I'm in the same boat as others - live in an apartment and don't have the room for one. I definitely know when I buy a house I'll be dropping that kind of coin for one.

Meantime, I'm eyeballing this guy...

http://pizzapartyshop.com/index.php?id_product=15&controller=product&id_lang=2

Definitely doable on my patio, and on my wallet.

Would be my third pizza oven in a year.

Excited to see how your pizza turns out NosmoKing!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Butch Cassidy posted:

Building one of those would be solidly filed under Type II Fun for me. It would be a total pain in the rear end during construction followed by sheer :smug: "yeah, I built that fucker" and :smaug: "what am I having for lunch? Fresh pizza out of my handmade wood oven. How about you?"

From the same linked thread, someone built an oven out of sand, clay, and fire bricks. The construction seems a lot simpler and cheaper. Building the base might still be tough, though.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

contrapants posted:

From the same linked thread, someone built an oven out of sand, clay, and fire bricks. The construction seems a lot simpler and cheaper. Building the base might still be tough, though.

First attempt at pizza, not so good.

There's a significantly higher hydration dough compared to what I'm used to using.

Massive sticking to the peel.

:(

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I had that issue with my pizza kettle so the last successful pizzas I made, when it came time to stretch, I went apeshit with the flour and did the initial press and finger bang/massage in a bowl of flour.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
That is awesome man. A cob oven has been on our list for a while but again the time thing.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Mr. Wookums posted:

I had that issue with my pizza kettle so the last successful pizzas I made, when it came time to stretch, I went apeshit with the flour and did the initial press and finger bang/massage in a bowl of flour.

I used flour for one, then went to the oven to dick around with it and move the fire. Stuck like a bitch.

Next one I formed and immediately put in the oven. Stuck part way, but I got it off the peel eventually.

Next time, semolina and a poo poo-ton of the stuff.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Corn meal has never failed me yet on my pizza stone.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cornmeal is the tits, but working with 800+ temps, using only it can just give your crust a burnt cornmeal taste.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mr. Wookums posted:

Cornmeal is the tits, but working with 800+ temps, using only it can just give your crust a burnt cornmeal taste.

That sucks. It burns a little on my regular oven, but only enough that it actually adds a nice taste to the crust. I guess it would just turn to ash in a wood fired oven.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

contrapants posted:

That was me - oven works great, and it survived the winter with no real issues. Probably could do it a lot faster and better next time now that I know what's needed to be done and know the gotchas. Base is the most annoying part of it, since it needs to be able to securely hold around 1000lbs without flexing over time. I'd seriously look into getting the precast ones and finishing that up instead of the full way I did - maybe a bit more, but would be that much better.

Temp wise, takes about 2 hours to heat up and probably can get it to around 900f with a fire, then once that's out it drops to about 600F and loses about 1 degree per minute with the door closed. So plenty of thermal mass with all the clay.

Basically perfect for a single meal (last time was a couple of roast chickens) or doing pizza parties, which is what I wanted.

Total cost was around $1000. If I'd used precast, it probably would've been around $1500.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unknown fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 27, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

NosmoKing posted:

I used flour for one, then went to the oven to dick around with it and move the fire. Stuck like a bitch.

Next one I formed and immediately put in the oven. Stuck part way, but I got it off the peel eventually.

Next time, semolina and a poo poo-ton of the stuff.

this is always my undoing. it's gotten to where I almost don't want to make pizza because it might stick. I end up with my head in a 600 degree oven screaming 'gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress' as half my pizza slides off the board and the other half sticks, my carefully placed ingredients and perfectly thinly stretched pizza dough go all over the loving oven and to one side of the pizza, and I end up leaving the kitchen in an exasperated sweaty mess while my gal is like :( :( :( it will be ok mindphlux everything will be ok!!

I had it down to what I thought was an art a couple years ago, but last handful of times I've done it - regardless of how much semolina I use, how quickly I work, or with how much conviction I try to artfully and quickly slide my pizza in - it ends up sticking. tips welcome

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Semolina keeps getting mentioned. Does that work as well or better than corn meal in a regular oven? Right now, I only ever buy corn meal as a pizza lubricant. If I can get semolina instead, I'd probably use that for bread, too.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

contrapants posted:

Semolina keeps getting mentioned. Does that work as well or better than corn meal in a regular oven? Right now, I only ever buy corn meal as a pizza lubricant. If I can get semolina instead, I'd probably use that for bread, too.

much, much better. I'm assuming you mean finely ground corn meal? I can't get that to work at all. I don't even make bread or pizza if I don't have semolina on hand.

I used rough cornmeal/grits once in desperation and lol

so crunchy, so inedible.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I'm almost obsessive with the amount of times I 'shimmy' after my dough hits the peel.

Flour peel, throw on dough. Shimmy.
Sauce. Shimmy.
Cheese. Shimmy.
Topping 1. Shimmy.
Topping 2. Shimmy.
Walk over to the oven. Shimmy.
Slide pizza onto stone.

Shimmy

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I like to cha cha :(

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

mindphlux posted:

I like to cha cha :(

Making pizzas on Sunday (which reminds me, I should get my dough started).

Will try the cha cha.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

angor posted:

I'm almost obsessive with the amount of times I 'shimmy' after my dough hits the peel.

Flour peel, throw on dough. Shimmy.
Sauce. Shimmy.
Cheese. Shimmy.
Topping 1. Shimmy.
Topping 2. Shimmy.
Walk over to the oven. Shimmy.
Slide pizza onto stone.

Shimmy

That's how I got the second on to work and that's where I failed with the first one.

Walked away for five minutes to dick around with the fire and when I came back the pizza was a essentially glued to the peel.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

mindphlux posted:

much, much better. I'm assuming you mean finely ground corn meal? I can't get that to work at all. I don't even make bread or pizza if I don't have semolina on hand.

I used rough cornmeal/grits once in desperation and lol

so crunchy, so inedible.

I've only ever used corn meal because that's what all the online recipes I've seen say to use. I just ran out recently. I'm going to pick up semolina this time. Thanks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I might not have emphasized how much flour I use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtAeKM_f2WU

That much flour. I do not do the rest of the stretch (molding the crust and poo poo) like he does and if I'm doing multiple pizzas I'll also sprinkle some cornmeal on the peel as it'll be sitting there longer. I think it goes without saying, but if you're sauce is also meeting the peel, it will stick there regardless of what you did before and you should use a wooden one to deploy, aluminum to pull.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
This is a good thread nosmo. Any chance of trying a batch of roti?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
I've never had a problem with using just a little flour on the peel and keep the shimmy going.
Looking forward to pizza pics Nosmo - here are a few pies I turned out last night in my FrankenOven. Can't wait to upgrade..

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Oh my goodness what a gorgeous Margherita. Welp, time to set up a wood oven in my 1 bedroom apartment.

Dr.Hashshashin
Jul 7, 2015

DABS ALL DAY
That looks awesome!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Very nice!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Philip Rivers posted:

Oh my goodness what a gorgeous Margherita. Welp, time to set up a wood oven in my 1 bedroom apartment.

The landlord won't mind if you just plop it in your living room, I'm sure. If anybody comes over and asks why you don't own any couches, make them pizza.

• Locked thread