Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Went to make coffee last Saturday morning, looked out the window, and saw this sitting there.

Why, it's my Andiamo 70 oven from Forno Bravo!

Much like the girls I used to date in high school, you can't take this thing all the way on your first try. You need to warm it up first. Specifically you need a long fire at 300°, 350°, 400°,450°, and 500°. This is to drive excess moisture out of the oven. If you run the thing up to full heat immediately upon receipt, you're going to break it.

So, I did my several low and slow fires. Yesterday, I realized I was done prepping the oven. Unfortunately, I had not made any pizza dough. I came up with a solution! Naan!

I whipped together a quick dough (water, yogurt, yeast, baking soda, salt, sugar, etc) and divided it into naan sized wads.

http://youtu.be/Myx3lOOnNuE

Pizza to come soon. This thing is awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Hed posted:

That's loving sweet, I want naan in 45 seconds. How hard was it to put together?

This one is the largest 100% assembled oven they make.

No assembly, just get started.

Something like 800 pounds, so she's a bit big. It's on paving stones.

The oven is on wheels so I can move it.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

Boner time. WANT

I need to upgrade my camera skills.

Trying to video with the iPhone while fiddling around with the dough is a bit challenging (and shaky-cam)

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

mindphlux posted:

how do you clean out the ashes?

also how do you start the fire?

Clean the ashes with a shovel and a brush, much like a fireplace.

I start the fire like a campfire, set 2 larger logs in place, crumple newsprint, stack kindling, medium pieces, and full sized pieces.

Light, come back in 20 min.

A recommendation is that as the oven gets low (like below 350), re-stack the fire in the oven and let it "bake".

You'll drive off all the moisture in the wood and the fire will start easier and burn cleaner.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Sweet, now how much does one of these bad boys cost? 5k?

I think delivered and installed and shipping and all that Jazz, $4000.

Like I said, way too much.

I wanted to build one for so long, but kids, job, wife, etc.

I decided to trade $$ for time and bought one already done.

Pizza dough is proofing and the sauce is made.

Pizza will have to wait until Thursday.

Goddamn back to school kid bullshit.

Back in the olden days, back to school was the first day. Show up, get schedule, figure poo poo out. Now, I'm taking days off work and/or leaving early to attend "back to school" events over and over and over.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

contrapants posted:

From the same linked thread, someone built an oven out of sand, clay, and fire bricks. The construction seems a lot simpler and cheaper. Building the base might still be tough, though.

First attempt at pizza, not so good.

There's a significantly higher hydration dough compared to what I'm used to using.

Massive sticking to the peel.

:(

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Mr. Wookums posted:

I had that issue with my pizza kettle so the last successful pizzas I made, when it came time to stretch, I went apeshit with the flour and did the initial press and finger bang/massage in a bowl of flour.

I used flour for one, then went to the oven to dick around with it and move the fire. Stuck like a bitch.

Next one I formed and immediately put in the oven. Stuck part way, but I got it off the peel eventually.

Next time, semolina and a poo poo-ton of the stuff.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

angor posted:

I'm almost obsessive with the amount of times I 'shimmy' after my dough hits the peel.

Flour peel, throw on dough. Shimmy.
Sauce. Shimmy.
Cheese. Shimmy.
Topping 1. Shimmy.
Topping 2. Shimmy.
Walk over to the oven. Shimmy.
Slide pizza onto stone.

Shimmy

That's how I got the second on to work and that's where I failed with the first one.

Walked away for five minutes to dick around with the fire and when I came back the pizza was a essentially glued to the peel.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Made a bunch of pizzas and used my Tuscan grill too.

Pics when I get off my lazy rear end and host them.

NosmoKing fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 8, 2015

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Grill worked great.

Up to cooking 3 pieces of naan at once.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

double post

NosmoKing fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 9, 2015

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

And Nosmo, my pizza dough is 58% hydration (using King Arthur bread flour). If I go beyond that I get big time sticking on the peel.

This is a 65% hydration dough using Caputo 00 flour.

Velvety and soft when floured adequately, but sticky as an August ballsack if you stretch it too far.

Apparently, I double posted above. Time to go edit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

dino. posted:

This is a good thread nosmo. Any chance of trying a batch of roti?

Give me your awesome roti recipe and I'm on it.

Next plans are bagels and pretzels (bought some food grade NaOH), and some braising.

Already baked a loaf of bread, basically a no-knead breadwad. Turned out great. Super crunchy crust, basically shattered when cut.

Roti sounds like it would go first with a live fire hot as balls oven, then do the bagels and pretzels, then as the oven cools, overnight braise.

• Locked thread