Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone who says something like, "complete strangers are always coming up to me and..." are always lying.
No, sorry, no one cares about you that much or that often.

This x1000. I swear it's a recent tumblr/SJW/TvTropes or whatever you want to call it thing. People really, really want to have some sort of validity about their perceived problems so instead of saying things like "In general the media disapproves of my lifestyle" or "My parents give me poo poo for wanting to be an artisanal yo-yo crafter instead of going to college" they have to make up some sort of implausible scenario where these people come up to them in real life and, to-wit nothing, insult them on their choices.

I'm a pretty brazen person in real life and never once have I felt the need to go up to someone I've never met or spoken to and tell them I disagree with their life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I can safely say as a 25 year old I don't give a gently caress about Calvin and Hobbes, nor do I understand the attachment to it by people slightly older than me.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

notZaar posted:

It doesn't get more millennial. Jpg than zen pencils. That fag drew a comic where Hiyao Miyazaki built a giant robot to kill all the trolls that made fun of him.

Holy poo poo I had to look this up. I like how all of the people getting 'hated on' appear to be providing absolutely nothing useful to society, they're all street buskers playing guitars and people taking pictures of trees. No construction workers building buildings or grocery store cashiers getting sucked up. Maybe cause those people actually provide something and don't care if you tell them they're not special unicorns who deserve praise.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Why does Rap blast the hate? And wouldn't a creativity beam empower Hashtag Hate Monster because he's already full of poo poo?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I feel like a big part of why Millenials suck is the 'Follow Your Dream!' narrative that is so new. The big thing is just being happy. When did just being happy become the crowning achievement of one's life? What happened to wanting to be great? I want to be better than I am, and that's what drives me to challenge myself. If I wanted to be happy I'd have stayed in my college town and kept having sex with college girls and doing drugs for as long as possible.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

nomadologique posted:

this would not have made you happy

if it would you probably would have kept doing it, but even if you kept doing it it's no guarantee it would have

Interesting, tell me more about how my own decisions make me feel.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

nomadologique posted:

okay. it is obvious that your sense of self-worth is based in part on the idea of self-betterment, so you left your college town and went out into the world to do things you thought would improve you.

people cannot be happy without a sense of self-worth, therefore you would not have been happy staying in your college town banging chicks ad indefinitum.

since you claim to think "happiness is the goal" is ridiculous, yet you pursued your own sense of self-worth in your decision to leave your college town and pursue your self-betterment, you in some sense chose happiness based on ethical-moral-spiritual values instead of physical-material satisfaction.

what is especially curious about this entire situation is that you are (a) unable to identify this about yourself (b) unable to identify this about the others you critique, who are quite likely also pursuing ethical-moral-spiritual fulfillment over physical-material satisfaction.

because of this inability to properly perceive yourself and others, you criticize their choices while making ultimately very similar ones, and set your two parties as mutually antagonistic instead of basically allied.

*farts*

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Ugh god dammit if only the world hadn't been explored I would be out there, right now, exploring it! It's not fair I was born into a privileged society, if I had been born in the poorest slums of the Congo I would be way more motivated and not just have to work this desk job and make a comfortable living with minimal effort. It's just not fair, all my advantages in life are the cause of my lack of motivation and there's nothing I can do about it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Wtf is fun.? Like the band that sings toooooonight we arreeeee yoooung?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I used to work with a guy whose friends were all hardcore gamer types, and I'd drink and play games with them occasionally. All of these kids were convinced that they could create the world's best games that were so much better than anything on the market, yet none of them had any skills. They couldn't code or program or design or do any sort of artwork, but they would spend hours talking about what kind of features they would implement and why X game is such poo poo and how their game would be so much better.

I would always say "Why don't you learn to code? Why not go to a game design college?" and they'd just give me the "Oh it's not about having a degree man! That doesn't matter, look at all the lovely games made by people who learned how to do that stuff at college!" then they'd go back to talking about how revolutionary their imagined game will be.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

It's crazy to me that with all the truly hosed up injustice and poo poo in the world that people choose to spend their time fighting the tyranny of stupid little faces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_triviality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I know several people who define themselves so strongly by their beard. It's weird how people find these specific things to latch onto.

• Locked thread