Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

:golfclap:

Funniest thing in the last 5 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

poorlifedecision posted:

lol at the idea that any more than 10% of this thread was born before 1980. Only a millennial would sit around posting about how terrible millennials are. We all know that Pre-1980 generations don't use "computers" or "social media" or browse "comedy forums."

And when do you think the founders of SA were born? Yep, solidly Gen X.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

As an eigthy-oner this delights me.

The cut off for Gen X is usually 1978, so there are a good 4 years of inbetweeners.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Would have been nice if millenial's parents were that pragmatic. Instead it was 24/7 "you can do anything you want if you put your mind to it. Just follow your dreams!"

Then the kid follows his dreams and the exact people who told him to do so turn around and say "why did you study that, you should have studied [flavor of month degree] instead! It's your own fault!"

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I think millennials get jaded from following really bad advice their elders gave them.

Right, even though I hate spoiled, lazy millennials, I don't blame them for their situation... I blame their stupid Boomer parents, who are unable to understand just how much easier things were for them.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Tequila Sunrise posted:

This x1000. I swear it's a recent tumblr/SJW/TvTropes or whatever you want to call it thing. People really, really want to have some sort of validity about their perceived problems so instead of saying things like "In general the media disapproves of my lifestyle" or "My parents give me poo poo for wanting to be an artisanal yo-yo crafter instead of going to college" they have to make up some sort of implausible scenario where these people come up to them in real life and, to-wit nothing, insult them on their choices.

I'm a pretty brazen person in real life and never once have I felt the need to go up to someone I've never met or spoken to and tell them I disagree with their life.

An extension of social media. Online, people really do get all up in your poo poo like that, and people who spend too much time their just have it bleed into real life.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

actually boomers were the ones to start the trend of young people being no-good dirty communists

Yeah, but they ended up being SO BAD at it. Like, Bernie Sanders is the only one who has stuck with it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Millennial.jpg should really be filled with pictures of stunningly beautiful young women.

I'm cool with that as long as they aren't selfies.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

How did you guys miss this?

Somerville held a 'pity party', so people could feel bad for themselves.

That's just about the most millennial thing I've ever heard of.

Where is Cliff Yablonski WHEN YOU REALLY NEED HIM?

Pony!

My hope is that he is leading them into the sea.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Rime posted:

Pumpkin is a versatile gourd which has a surprising variety of culinary uses beyond pies and lattes. The relative wastage of it as a food source in North America, over the past century, is quite boggling to the many Europeans who cook with it regularly. :tipshat:

Yeah, and Mexicans eat it, too. Seeing it in tacos is NOT weird.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Beef Turret posted:

If you grew up indoctrinated with the hollywood ethos that life is an adventure you're gonna become either bitter or depressed when you realize middle-class life has no narrative to it whatsoever.

Also a source of much internet drama in general.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I thought that we've been over this: 1981-1983 is No Man's Land, Gen X stops at 1980, and Millennials start at 1984.

One of the definitions of Gen X is "the dip in the population curve", ie, The Baby Busters. In my high school, my class (1991) was the nadir; smallest class ever, and every class after got bigger. That puts the midpoint for birth year at around 1973.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

One of the things that I really hate about millennials: they LOVE to over-think poo poo.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm 5'10" and I consider myself short. Why? I'm a management consultant, and all of the high powered execs I work with are all at least 6 foot. Most of them are in the 6'2" - 6'4" range.

Well, the MEN, anyway. Height seems to matter less for female execs, but they ALL wear the high heels. Height is apparently a big advantage in business, even if you are a woman.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Plus Wikipedia/google is full of misinformation and if my Facebook feed is any indication, people believe whatever they read with roughly zero critical thought.

I joined Facebook a few months ago, and I've been shocked at how bad my younger friends are about this... in some ways actually worse then the crusty old fart friends of my parents. Did you know that Obama is a failed president? It's true, look at this online poll...

A few months ago I sat next to guy on a plane who has been a highschool English teacher for 30 years. He was complaining bitterly that these days his students can barely write in complete sentences, let alone write a well-structured paragraph. Poor guy was really frustrated with the quality of his school's graduates.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^EDIT: it's sort of a way to be feminine in an ironic manner.

Mad Monk posted:

Nonbinary Slam Poet: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.

:golfclap:

I don't care how vacuous she is, mermaid girl is pretty loving hot.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If I weren't active on social media, I wouldn't believe that millennials were actually this insanely self obsessed:

quote:

Engaged to be Geared!

Dear Universe,

It is with great pleasure that we inform you that we Smizmars, [Idiot #1] and [Idiot#2], are engaged to be geared! Next summer we will interlock our lives deliberately and lovingly with a small commitment ceremony. We value autonomy and independence. We want to become "gears" because we compassionately push and strengthen the other in our individual and mutual journeys for joy, meaning and happiness. For as long as love lasts, we're going to be together, interlocked, & evolving.

Sincerely,
Smizmars (alien weirdos that found each other on earth and have love that resonates into outer space)

This reminds me of when Baby Boomers were saying that they were going to "re-invent grandparenting". :ughh:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Seriously. My work flow includes the occasional need to scratch my balls, fart and sometimes even pick my nose.

I could do these things in front of other people, but then HR would get involved.

For real. Sometimes when I'm working the farts must flow.

Blocks your creativity, otherwise.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

No. 6 posted:

They're not bad, just kinda chalky disks of sweetness with a mild clove flavor. Not my favorite, but I never really eat candy anyway.

It's a Massachusetts / New England thing. Like Fluffernuters.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

How was this not brought up in here?

Men’s Locker Room Designers Take Pity on Naked Millennials

quote:

Each day, thousands upon thousands of men in locker rooms nationwide struggle to put on their underwear while still covered chastely in shower towels, like horrible breathless arthropods molting into something tender-skinned. They writhe, still moist, into fresh clothes.

Jesus Christ, take your towel off, use it to dry off, and put your clothes on. It's not that loving hard, and no one cares what your dick looks like.

I also love the title of this response:

If You Are Not Comfortable Being Naked Around Other People, You Are Not an Adult

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Holy poo poo, children these days:

Oberlin Students Take Culture War to the Dining Hall

This is literally a case of "don't know how good they have it": people bitched about the college food in my day, too, but that's because it was only slightly better then army food.

I mean... bitching about the quality of the sushi you were served? Ultimate first world problem.

quote:

“I would like to see Bon Appétit fired and replaced by something other than an international corporation,” a student, Kendra Farrakhan, wrote to the paper. “I would like to see the chefs have the respect and autonomy to cook the food they love.”

Who the gently caress is going to pay for that? Do they think accomplished chefs would work at a college dining hall for free?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

LegoPirateNinja posted:

all this poo poo says to me is we want you to spend ALL your time at work and gently caress you if you want to go home and spend time with your family

One of the things that I really like about being a consultant is that I don't have to participate in any of that "live at the office" crap. I do my job and go home (or back to my hotel room).

Sometimes I have to go eat and drink with the other consultants, but that's not too big a burden.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

notZaar posted:

SA had a much younger userbase when it got started, most of us have stuck around and got older.

I'm starting to think that this might be The Natural Order of Things on the Interwebs... Forums/social media sites will come and go, but people will always need cohorts.

Hell, generations are just vague, society-wide cohorts, anyway.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Stinky_Pete posted:

I saw these and this frantic little voice in my head just screamed "GAAAAAAYYYYYY! GAY! GAY! GAAAAAAYYYYYY! GAY GAY GAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!"

That's never happened before. Didn't know that little guy was in there, just waiting.

To be fair, the fake arm wrestling shot is just dripping with blatant homoeroticism. I wonder how intentional it was.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

if people actually want to live anywhere that has super high rent they're dumb so its ok

What if they want to work?

Stick me in the middle of nowhere, and now I'm unemployed.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's the "S"!

Also, did anyone ever own a pair of British Knights that didn't win them off of Double Dare/Guts/Nick Arcade?

Furthermore, Sketchers have managed to get worse in quality over the years... I bought a pair last year that fell apart in just a few months. (I'm old enough to be a dad, so I'm allowed to wear Dad fashion)

Also, BKs were a big deal in the mid 80's... I can remember one year at summer camp around 1986 where literally all of the counselors were wearing them. The Nickelodeon fame for them came after they fell out of fashion with high-school aged kids.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

10% goes to the campaign? That's pretty loving low...

Hey look, I made my own content for Millennial.jpg

Horrible man bun? check
Horrible internet janitor job? check

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

nomadologique posted:

dorney park is not terrible, it is very good.

Never been to Dorney, but my sister lives in suburban Allentown, and it seems like a nice place to me. Very white, and a little trashy, but I've lived in a lot worse places.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

MrMoo posted:

People with powerpoint jobs not knowing how to use powerpoint. I've seen a lot of presentations with non-fullscreen slides recently.

Stupid slides which are read verbatim and contain too much detail are almost mandatory.

Yeah, I've seen that a lot lately, too. I think this is because screens are wide now, instead of 4:3.

Also, if all of the slides are listed right there, you don't have to put any thought into navigation when building the presentation.

naem posted:

I remember using mapquest to print out directions to carry around with me and thinking how crazy it was to be living in the future

I remember downloading my MapQuest directions onto my Palm Pilot before I left the house, and thinking that was high-tech poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

a starwar betamax posted:

I'm also bothered by how you can tell the persons number one concern is to still appear "cute" while mugging for the camera especially noticeable in women.

One of Facebook friends is a millennial who posts lots selfies. Close up selfies with lots of face. And she completely blurs out/erases/filters her skin in photoshop in every single picture. So much so that she looks like a creepy plastic doll.

I know her in real life, her skin is decent, I don't get it.

• Locked thread