Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Dunno man, I can't really see a worst scenario than starving to death. I know for you a worse scenario than a million people starving is not having your worldviews excused , but I think most Venezuelans would disagree.

What's your end-game here? nobody takes you seriously and you are playing with the misery of my people, my family and my friends. You're trying to excuse the circumstances that led me, my wife and thousands of others to fled their country. I've got two guys living with me right now that gave up everything to get here and are depending on me to help them out until they can find a job. And I do that because I feel their struggle.

I know you don't give a gently caress about anyone but yourself and your bullshit ideology, but I just want you to know that you are a literal piece of poo poo. Not because you're attacking the right wing. I couldn't care less about your political ideals. You are human waste because you're rooting for a full country to starve to death or kill each other before you're proven wrong.

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Elie Wiesel, noted booster of the iraq war and apartheid advocate is dead.
Rot in hell rear end in a top hat

Jimmy made a thread making GBS threads on elie wiesel today acting like Wiesel was the loving anti-christ just because Wiesel like some other Holocaust survivors can be hypocrites when it comes to policies in Israel. Jimmy is a stereotypical strawman leftist rear end in a top hat who only cares about "the narrative", their are tons of them out there and they damage the gently caress out of progress in the world. the good thing Hugoon is that they are alot less of them cheering for the PSUV then their were 10/12 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Radio Prune posted:

Alternate theory: he's a low-effort contrarian troll.

maybe. but he has been around a long time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

-Troika- posted:

An American and Venezuelan married couple have been arrested on trumped-up charges and accused of espionage.

http://idahostatejournal.com/member...tm_content=link

I am honestly surprised they have been trying to throw out all westeners, or at the very least all US visitors.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

fnox posted:

Well, I'm leaving tomorrow morning. It's bound to be a long, uncomfortable trip alternating between sitting for hours at a terminal with jack poo poo to do, and sitting for hours in an airplane seat trying to fall asleep, repeated ad nauseum for over 24 hours. But hey that's a privilege that many of my close friends and family will never have, so I have a duty to them to do fine, to not fail like many other Venezuelan migrants, so I can one day help them jump the pond as well. Nobody should be forced to bear the disaster in Venezuela, nobody should have to live in fear, if Venezuela won't change, then we have to.

I have so many people to give my thanks to, this definitely wouldn't have been something I could have done on my own without the help of so many who, despite not even knowing me, threw a helping hand, or pointed me in the right direction. I would explicitly like to thank Chuck Boone, Nicolás and Vanessa, for going out of their way to help me out, I'm forever grateful for what you've done.

I don't think I'll have internet for most of the trip, so, I guess that's it until Friday at least.

Good luck fnox.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chuck Boone posted:

This is huge news. The entire cabinet and, in Maduro's words, "every institution of the state", is now under the command of the armed forces under Padrino Lopez. It's part of a new initiative the government is calling the Gran Mision de Abastesimiento Soberano [Great Sovereign Supply (or Stock) Mission", which is an initiative that's supposed to put the entire state working towards getting food and medicine back in stock.

Here's a clip from Maduro's speech last night when he announced this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58c_1biB_1Y

This move is all the more important because it follows the creation of CAMPIMPEG earlier this year. CAMIMPEG is a body that Maduro created earlier this year that puts 100% of all of the income coming from resource exploitation in the country under the command of the Minister of Defense via a board of directors that he hand-picks. The board of directors has 11 seats, and each one is filled by an active-duty member of the armed forces.

In short: virtually every cent that comes into Venezuela passes through the Ministry of Defense, and as of yesterday every institution of the state and the entire cabinet are under the command of the Ministry of Defense.

Vladimir Padrino Lopez is now officially more powerful than Maduro.

So is this a "good" thing or a bad thing. I assume its a junta now with maduro as figure head?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

I mean it is something other than the status quo so it has that going for it.

true. so whats maduros role now? I assume the military controls everything?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Barudak posted:

Maduro is the emperor and Padrino Lopez is now the shogun.

so he is still in charge them?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chuck Boone posted:

I'd say that this is definitely not a good thing for a number of reasons:
  • I'm sure that this is an unprecedented move in the history of democratic Venezuela (going back to 1958). The Minister of Defense is not an elected official. He is a member of cabinet, although granted, a very important one since he's the head of the military. Still, giving him control over "every institution of the state" is just as serious as it sounds. The Venezuelan government is now co-controlled by the President of the Republic and the Minister of Defense. I don't know know how this arrangement is supposed to work. There's no space in the Venezuelan constitution for this kind of arrangement. We're in uncharted territory.

• I don't know a whole lot about Vladimir Padrino Lopez, but as a career officer he probably knows as much about economics as you or I do. The Gran Mision de Abasto Soberano is essentially an economic initiative, since its goal is to somehow get food and other products produced, imported, and put on store shelves. How an army officer and the military are supposed to do that is beyond me.
There are a lot of conspiracy theories swirling about what this all means. I read an article in La Patilla earlier where the author argued that this could be a kind of scare tactic for the opposition in order to get them to give up on the referendum. The author's thinking is that by having Padrino as the de facto second-in-command (above the VP), removing Maduro from office would put him in Miraflores, if the referendum takes place next year which is that the PSUV is hoping to do. Another theory is that this is Maduro's way of paying off Padrino and the army to help him stay in power, if even just as a figurehead.

In short, there are lots of reasons why this is happening, and I don't think any one of them is good.

It's hard to say. I think the answer is "yes", but like I said, this is so unprecedented that it's difficult to say with certainty.

I think that the way that Maduro introduced this announcement last night is really telling. When he was making the announcement, he set it up by saying, "this crisis needs a unified command, a single command", as if to say, "one person in charge". And that one person in charge turns out to be Maduro... and Padrino? Together? But they're two people, so what was Maduro talking about when he introduced this measure out of a necessity for a single, unified command? I may be reading too much into it, but it sounds like Maduro gave away that there's only one person in charge, but I don't think I know which one it is.

Haha! This is great! This is petty much it.

so he basically declared himself super ruler and has the army to back him up now. fun times ahead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gen. Ripper posted:

Christ almighty, it sounds like Venezuela is just dying. Not "being torn apart in a horrible civil war" dying, dying as in a person dying. Like it's just slowly rotting away, with nobody willing or able to pick it back up. Generations from now, our children will look at it as the Somalia of Somalias, a hellhole that just is, and nobody can remember how and why it got there. What a terrible fate. :smith:

same. it feels like watching those cases about "faith healing" and how some kid dies of something fixable because the parents are monster and or idiots. I dont think Venezuela can be saved in the short term at least while the PSUV reigns. I just dont know why people havent risen up yet.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I will have to pick that up. grillo has done 2 great books on cartel/crime in south america. its interesting and depressing stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

fnox posted:

(NSFW)
:nws:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cq401dFW8AA7VXY.jpg:nws:
MODNOTE: Don't inline :nws: images, not even in spoiler tags!
This is Venezuela. Those people on the background are queuing up for food.

holy loving poo poo, thats something out of a dystopian novels/movie/game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

El Hefe posted:

I told you guys this was going to be a failure

Also the PSUV are never stepping down peacefully or in a democratic fashion, never, anyone who thinks so are only deluding themselves.

well what are the people supposed to do at this point. any rebellion/revolution will probably be crushed since they would have no military backing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

At least trying and failing would force the dictator to remove his mask and might shame the OAS into doing something. It's hard to throw away your personal safety and even the illusion that there might be a peaceful transition for a really good chance at losing in the short term though.

maybe but i doubt it. Even if the PSUV started firing into crowds and killing hundreds, i doubt much would be done apart for maybe some sanctions. plus i am sure the PSUV can find enough useful idiots and tankies to defend them on the world stage and in the OAS.

El Hefe posted:

Nothing, this country is doomed, just another Cuba, North Korea, Zimbabwe, etc.

this. the question is now. which kind will it be. will it be like cuba where it still fuctions "well enough" or will it become the south american hermit kingdom, or will in completely implode like zimbabwe.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A White Guy posted:

How will it keep itself at this pace indefinitely? The economy is a shambles, and people are beginning to starve. If nothing, I'd say the pace of this is accelerating. The hungrier the people get, the more a revolutionary mood will ferment. Even if the current limp-dicked opposition continues with ineffectual protests, eventually someone else is going to step up to the plate. There's serious opportunity to be the next leader of Venezuela, all it requires is an organization willing to light the match.

honestly this, it cant go on forever. I think what will happen is a Mohamed Bouazizi like situation (except maybe the PSUV goons will kill him/her) and poo poo will rapidly escalate from there. These people are only starting to starve and they are already breaking into private zoos to eat horses and animals. eventually poo poo going to get worse and a spark will happen then all debts will be repaid in full and the PSUV is gonna learn the hard way.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

beer_war posted:

Heh, I briefly considered making a short post about it in the Latin America thread, but when I saw some goon going "Chávez' only mistake was not enough purges" (paraphrased) I decided against it.

As to your question, not really, no, Venezuela has enough of their own problems. The border regions will probably be somewhat safer, but that's about it.

drat there are still tankies in the Lantin america thread. I mean i understand why(cia fun times hosed everyone) but my guess is its probaly some fat white europian/american who thinks the glorious revolution is just around the corner.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lime Tonics posted:

Now they have diphtheria to worry about,

"Caracas, Venezuela – Diphtheria, an extremely contagious disease that has been mostly eradicated worldwide through vaccination, has reappeared in Venezuela.

So far it has killed four children.

More than 20 cases have been reported in just one month, including those four fatalities in the southern state of Bolivar.

In the crisis-stricken South American nation, many of the children don't have access to the DPT vaccine that prevents the centuries-old disease. Caused by the Corynebacterium diphtheriae bacterium, the disease becomes serious if the bacterial toxin enters the bloodstream and spreads through the respiratory tract. It leads to heart failure and neurological illnesses.

Even with treatment, death occurs in between 5 and 10 percent of those affected.

This week the sense of urgency went up a few notches when a possible case of diphtheria was reported in Caracas’ Military Hospital, considered the country’s best."

Why has this happened? Easy, the CIA did it, no seriously,

"When last week the Ministry of Health finally made the announcement acknowledging the resurgence of diphtheria, Diosdado Cabello, a prominent Chavista, said Venezuela is the target of a "germ warfare orchestrated by the CIA labs."

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/health/2016/10/21/long-eradicated-diphtheria-reappears-in-venezuela-government-blames-cia/

does Cabello actualy believe that poo poo? because he is either a piece of poo poo ignorent zealot or a sack of poo poo oppertunist who doesnt give a poo poo that he has helped cause this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chuck Boone posted:

I didn't watch it go down but my aunt is inside the National Assembly. She was watching today's proceedings. She sent me a fairly panicked message saying that a colectivo armado had broken into the assembly floor but I can't tell if anyone was actually armed.

The live feed from the National Assembly was showing Jorge Rodriguez (the mayor of the Libertador municipality) apparently pleading with the crowd that had formed on the grounds of the National Assembly to disperse. The crowd appears to have left the grounds, but since the feed is locked on the one camera I'm not sure if they've left altogether or if they've moved to another area.

EDIT: Jorge Rodriguez did in fact convince the crowd to move off the grounds, but the crowd is apparently now just waiting outside the main gate presumably waiting for the session to end. The MUD is trying to get the session restarted.

so whats the crowd there for? I assume the opposition parties are trying whatever means they have left to stop the PSUV?

A White Guy posted:

The government switching to full-blown repression to stay in power betrays just how weak a position it is now in. The only question is when the opposition is going to wake up and start mass strikes, mass protests, cripple the social order to force change.

To any Venezegoons still in country, I'd strongly recommend you make a contingency plan if you haven't already. The government is beginning to finally teeter, and the build up to its fall is going to be an incredible event that is best witnessed from far,far away.

this. what worries me is if the millitary/chavistas start firing on the crowds when that stuff happens.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LeoMarr posted:

Civil war in 6 months or less. They will start firing at civilians or giving up their weapons.

this. it sounds like the situation is going downhill fast(faster then normal.)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

The US treating Latin America as its personal back yard is what allowed demagogues such as Chavez to come to power in the first place. If they intervened, it would vindicate the chavistas and you're just setting yourself up for a new crop of left-wing populists a generation from now.

As for the opposition being 'overly cautious', just what are they supposed to do? They're old guys in suits, made politically powerless by the fact that Venezuela has become a dictatorship in all but name. In a situation like that, it's the streets that count. That's the true opposition. Not that I blame people for not wanting to risk their lives, I'd be the same, but I don't understand the bitter complaining about MUD. Surely you don't need the blessing of this or that specific politician to organize and to protest.

this. the US pissed away a ton of good will in the last hundred years or so in south america. its a really hosed up version of the boy who cried wolf(or leftist dictator i guess).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Saladman posted:

Not to mention that the Internet is still almost completely unrestricted and readily available in the country. Radio seems a lot more complicated in comparison.

I'm still amazed there's no Arab Spring type reaction -- it's not like most of those countries had relevant organized opposition either. People just got together from like facebook posts and group texting. I guess the difference in Venezuela is that the opposition is actively sabotaging the capacity for the real street protests to have any effect. The MUD is even worse than having no opposition parties at all, as it gives a flaccid steam valve for people's anger.

that surprises me. I had assumed the PSUV had built a shittyer "great firewall" or something like that. i guess the dont care or are just dumb about it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so stupid question, but with trump in power, will that change anything with how the US deals with the goings on in Venezuela? like do you think he will try to coup the PSVU and Maduro? I doubt he even knows it exists but i am sure he hawk advisers may look into it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

El Hefe posted:

The central bank just made it official, new bills starting the 15th this month.

500, 1000, 2000, 5000, 10000 and 20000 denomination bills and 10, 50 and 100 coins.

http://www.bcv.org.ve/Upload/Comunicados/aviso041216.pdf

A big mac is currently about 5000Bs I think so by the time the new bills are out you'll be able to buy one big mac with the 20000Bs bill I bet lol

so they have hit Zimbabwe levels of money inflation and poverty now?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mukip posted:

As late as 2014 Owen Jones(one of the British cheerleaders for Chavez/Maduro) posted an article for The Independent, "Socialism’s critics look at Venezuela and say, ‘We told you so’. But they are wrong", which has subsequently been deleted from their website without comment.

I'm still waiting for the likes him and Jeremy Corbyn to be put on the spot regarding their vocal support for the Venezuelan government, but what's annoying is their radio silence on the issue. Idealogues are incapable of admitting the failure of their ideology, so they just don't talk about the fact that they threw in their lot with a government that hosed up this badly and tyranically. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with it but I'm not aware of any of them being put on the spot over the issue.

well, the only good thing i take from this is that the only people supporting maduro openly anymore (outside of the country) are WOKE tankie clowns who mostly stay on twitter and right lovely thinkpieces about how great maduro is(which are rairer now a days) or "academics" like Ciccariello and my old government professor who are basically old hippies or tankies who somehow survived the bush years and jerk off about the glory days when they had the USSR to worship and now they can only worship smaller failing states. No one real is defending them anymore.

Vlex posted:

What passes for the Left in Britain is completely pathetic, to be honest.

least you have them lefties. in america we just have old school republicans, fascists, and WOKE liberals who care more about stupid bullshit then actual things.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/08/world/venezuela-passports-investigation/index.html?adkey=bn

I can believe this easily. they have been helping the various cartels and other smugglers. what if they are legit helping terrorists. its definatly a little fearmongery but at the same time with such dire straiter, maduro would probaly do it. plus be giving a gently caress you to the US.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/AP/status/831267613246373888?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

interesting. i am sure trump won't do poo poo and is just looking for distraction to make people look away from flynn(and probably himself) being russian stoolies and probably traitors. but if he is actualy trying to crack down on money sources of cartels, that would probably be a good place to start.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/01/news/economy/venezuela-cash/

well poo poo. Venezuela only has $10.5 billion in foreign reserves left.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chuck Boone posted:

Yesterday was the four year anniversary of Chavez's death, and the regime marked it with an ALBA meeting in the Miraflores Palace in Caracas.

how is ALBA still kicking. Venezuela doesn't even have 10 billion dollars left, i assume its an excuse for the party to suckle off other countries for money?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hugoon Chavez posted:

poo poo man, is this how it begins? Is poo poo about to go down? Because I'm getting a different feeling about this round of protests (safely here in Madrid) than any that came before, and I don't think Maduro is gonna react well to all of this.

My mom's dog just died and she's in a bad shape so I was considering going, but it might not even be able to.

sounds like it. the judiciary stuff has shown that the regime doesn't give a gently caress about democracy or the people and the rulingyparty elite are living in bullshit rich tankie fantasy world while people kill each other over fruit trees.

Chuck Boone posted:

Holy smokes! He almost got lynched!

This video from the crowd is insane! You can see the crowd is 100% out for his head. They're throwing garbage at him and jeering him and someone is yelling "drat you!": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHxujUOjC2M

EDIT: I'm not sure how true this is, but word is that Maduro was in Bolivar state (Ciudad Guayana, to be exact) because he came back from Cuba through there (he'd been in Cuba the whole week). The story is that he came back to Venezuela via Guayana because his people were concerned because coming in to Caracas from Maiquetia, which is where the main international airport is, would be too hot right now.

EDIT 2: Maduro almost got Ceausescu'd tonight. This video shows the moment that the angry crowd starts rushing the platform Maduro was on. It was total chaos. The dude just barely made it out alive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRtEa1NwOxg

it wouldnt surprise me if he trys to call in the army soon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chuck Boone posted:

Yesterday afternoon, Aristobulo Isturiz (former VP, now Minister of Something or Other) was on TV doing damage control on the San Felix incident. Isturiz explained that the crowd that attacked Maduro on Tuesday had been overwhelmed with love for their dear leader. Isturiz said that people were in fact throwing things like tomatoes and baseballs at Maduro, but that the items contained messages for the president.

Here's a video of Isturiz's explanation along with my translation:

https://twitter.com/diegoscharifker/status/852245945962172423

(The caption for the video is pretty funny: "Not even the chair could support the magnitude of that lie. Aristobulo is shameless. Tomatoes, mangoes, don't make fun of the people's hunger gently caress!")

jesus, thats like trump level lovely spin right there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

caberham posted:

China can't handle democracy it's different culture!

Jesus Christ this is depressing

whats this in responce too? also they tried. it just fell apart qucikly because of strong men dickheads and taiwan is republic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

fnox posted:

The protest was legitimately massive. Turnout was truly incredible, which is great, we may actually be reaching 2002 levels. This also came with an unseen escalation in repression, the police deployment was overwhelming and they basically started gassing everyone right away. Maduro implied that he's going to call for regional elections, probably as a way to cool people down, but I doubt there will be anybody getting fooled by this poo poo again. There wasn't any calls for recall referendums, or elections, people want Maduro out and they want that now.

EDIT: Unofficial estimates are putting turnouts in the millions, we're talking about almost 5 million people protesting around the country, more than a million just in Caracas.

you think he will go(either willingly or because the psuv will force him) or will his mind break more and he will refuse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

Pre-military training sounds like something that the Hitler youth in Nazi Germany would go through.
The PSUV sounds even more like a National Socialist party based on what you are saying, Hugoon Chavez.

honestly. from reading accounts. alot of the stuff seems kinda nazi like. like if Germany never went to war or had the race angle bullshit(maybe PVUS does idk) and were left wing. its like hitler lived a while to turn the country into his own shithole with tons of brainwashed kids and useful idiot servants and then finaly died, and a dumbshit like himmler took his place. because maduro always reminded me of himmler weirdly enough.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

thought u guys might want to puke so I brought you this..."wonderful"...crosspost...

I love chapo podcast and the chapo thread. But they are going tankie right now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I dont know posted:

After reading the last couple pages of that thread, I'm honestly surprised there are not more Borneo Jimmy's in this one.

Ehh. They don't like d&d in general on principle. I mean I am lefty of some stripe and I am worried the country could go hard right when everything collapses. But maduro and the psyche have proven they are unfit to lead and are killing their country while lining their pockets. So gently caress him and them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I dont know posted:

Is this currently the case? From what I've gathered in the thread, it seems like the opposition is super fragmented about everything other than an agreement that PSUV has to go.

Something, something, the CIA is behind it or Chavez didn't go reign of terror.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

So I just saw on my news feed about a helicopter attacking the capital building? What happened? Edit: ok read the post above, I guess it's civil war time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chuck Boone posted:

Maduro might speak tonight on this alleged attack on the Supreme Court building in Caracas. The "attack" was staged by a single police helicopter, it caused no damage to the building, and it looks like the helicopter may have dropped a single tear gas canister in the vicinity of the building.

I've seen a couple of videos of armoured vehicles and soldiers swarming around Miraflores.

I don't know what Maduro will say about all of this, but I can't help but be reminded of Turkey 2016....

Yeah, maduro is gonna try to go full dictator now. Stay safe, Venezuela goons. :(

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Labradoodle posted:

Earlier tonight, Antonio Ledezma, the Mayor of Caracas that was detained by the SEBIN (our intelligence police, which nowadays just does the government's dirty work) in 2015 and who has been under house arrest for most of that time, posted a video criticizing the MUD for its inefficiency and blasting the government. From what I've seen, it was received very positively. He was just taken away from his home by the SEBIN in the middle of the night to God knows where. That's the kind of government that some people are defending in this thread – common thugs that break into your house in the middle of the night to drag you away when you do something they don't like.

By the way, everyone should consider using the "Ignore" feature liberally. The thread is about 90% better without Bob and Scent of Wolf. It's a waste of time having the same arguments over and over with the same people.

Update: The SEBIN also kidnapped Leopoldo from his home. It'd be insane if they threw them back into prison, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Update 2: Here's a video of the moment when they kidnapped Ledezma. He was still in his pajamas when they dragged him away. I think the woman yelling is one of his neighbors and she's saying "They're taking Ledezma away!" over and over.

https://twitter.com/gabyarellanoVE/status/892256267191844864

i honestly dont think he is just being "arrested", i honestly they might be dead already. i hope i am wrong. maduro and co are already firing on crowds and shits falling apart for him and the US just froze his stash money. he probaly wants to try to end it quick now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chuck Boone posted:

That article made me sad. $69,000 is more than the total that I'll pay for my doctorate even if it takes me eight years to finish. I don't know enough about how the post-secondary education system works in the U.S., but it's depressing to think that people are paying that much money to be spoon-fed propaganda. I don't know how the student body is reacting to the lecture series. I guess like on any other campus there are people eagerly eating that garbage up, and others who are more critical of it?

Exactly. The PSUV is the party of buzzwords. If you watch enough speeches by Maduro, you'll notice that he'll literally list half a dozen buzzwords whenever he describes the Bolivarian Revolution. He'll say things like, "The Revolution is humanist, inclusive, liberating, honest, sovereign, independent, anti-imperialist and democratic". All buzzwords, like they're trying to check off boxes on a list of terms that they think will play well with the audience. It's sad to think that the tactic might be more effective outside of the country than it is inside.

One of the regime's nicknames for Henrique Capriles (a leading opposition figure and former governor of Miranda state) is "Capriloca", which is combination of his last name and the word "loca", which is the feminine form of the word for "crazy". The regime has long alleged that Capriles is a homosexual because obviously to the regime being homosexual is a bad thing.

Here's a clip of a high ranking PSUV member (Pedro Carreño) calling Capriles a "human being" at the National Assembly, just a little while after saying that the PSUV accepted "sexual diversity": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XliXqWSqS9U

Here's a clip of Maduro calling the entire opposition "big faggots" during a rally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNonamU5j5U

it feels like a lovely attempt at trying to get/keep foreign liberal and lefty support. most left leaning groups are pretty socially progressive and maybe the PSUV is hoping to rebuild inroads with them by pretending to be "woke". they need more support then tankies i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/940005066832039936

well this seems really bad.